Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2004, 17:42   #1
BHPian

i had a test drive of getz yesterday the car looks good from all sides ,the nose grill is 'un'hyundai and definitely looks smart,the interiors are superb with soft touch material far beter than indica and palio ,the steering assembly is adjustable,front seats provide good support but the rear seats are not as good and the space at rear feels tight doesnt have the airy feel of palio or indica ,the boot is bigger than indica but smaller than palio,the 1345cc engine is very smooth and has good low end punch and feels very refined below 4000rpm and the car moves with a good pace and is very comfortable filling the traffic gaps but nowhere close to palio 1.6 s POWERplant,braking on the abs version is excellent with good amount of feedback,the steering again lacks the directness of palio,the best part of the car is the short throw gearshift which i feel is brilliant and is in league of the honda city,i cant comment on fuel efficiency right now,overall the car is pricey and doesnt have the crdi option for now and heavily loses out on VFM,but the cosy interiors and gearshift make the car worth considering. *

Following Report is by Team-BHPian "Shaleen"

Let me add my experience to this forum...i am about to buy a car within 5.5 lacs and i sqauared my choices to Accent GLE, Getz GL(more VFM than GLS),Ford Ikon.I test rode all these and i am giving my observations:

Accent GLE: good car, excellent gearshift, ride, and interior space.Looks a big car, and looks, from rear esp(after new lights).Price cut has made it very attractive and is drawing large nos i hear

Hyundai Getz: Nice too, i test rode all three.I thought that Getz wud be more comfortable than Accent, simply because it is heavier, more wheelbase, rear gas shocks as compared to GLE's oil ones.
But found it uncomfortable as compared to Accent and ikon to my surprise.To tell you,I tested all of them very roughly, and was very harsh on all during my run of 8-10 kms(on all) on GT road, Karnal.I took it to 100KMph, in 3rd gear,and changed to 4th gear.
Engine is unrefined as compared to Santro or Accent.I dont know how hyundai managed to do that.But overall not that VFM u are spending on it.AC is poor too, and i found it worse than even santro.Nice thing is the gearshift lever, which is totally vibration free even at high revs.Bur engine noise appears bad when u rev it to higher band.Not the best product from hyundai.

IKon Flair: i liked this car immediately as i entered in it.Engine is very smooth, good and powerful.The most appealing thing of this car is the rear seat comfort on which my mom sat and praised.Also when i took it on rough patches on 100Kmph(they were worse than those which i took Getz on) it was absolutely stable and very comfortable.I wonder what the hell happened to Getz, which promised so much with heavier chasis and gas shockers.
It was very rev happy and seemless power delievery was apparent.Engine never made unusual groan even i pullled it on 5000 rpm in 3rd gear.I feel that it will be having better efficiency than Getz too.
I feel Ikon scored over all three in key areas: Engine, efficiency, performance, handling, solid built.
The koreans as usual try to appeal customers by the plastics, dashboard etc. which i feel are secondary things.
Actually i feel that Hyundai is basking on the success of Santro( i recently sold feb 99 santro).The Accent is nowhere near a quality product as compared to its competition.With no Santro pedigree, Ikon should have always outsold it.
All my family members liked Ikon and didnt feel that good in accent.On getz, my mom said what is the use of spending so much money on a bigger santro like getz when you have such good cars(Ikon Flair) on your helm?Just remove the cobwebs of Hyundai aftersales service, as it is overhyped and i feel not that good

I am going to book a Flair within 4-5 days

Old 14th September 2004, 17:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

That was a good review anshuman. Thanks for that.
Old 15th September 2004, 00:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Cool anshu......so ur the 1st TeamBhpian to lay ur hands on the Getz.good gist of the car nevertheless.Thnks
cya
Old 15th September 2004, 11:23   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice first impression Anshuman. You beat us all to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] but the rear seats are not as good and the space at rear feels tight doesnt have the airy feel of palio or indica
Did you adjust the rear seat properly? I thought the same thing when I sat in the rear of the Getz, but the rear seat incline is adjustable. Did you put it all the way back? I think its damn comfy for two people. But surely not for three.

GTO
Old 15th September 2004, 22:09   #5
BHPian

yes i adjusted both front and rear seats but i cudnt get a perfect setting for my 6.3"frame,front seats are very comfy,dash i think is even better than accent,but i wudnt say it a drivers car,but its good car overall
Old 21st September 2004, 13:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

My BIL's friend got a Getz. Now this is the car I was asking my BIL to get. On Sun i got a chance to drive it.

In short blah. It did nothing for me. It drove like a Santro (albeit a slightly bigger one). It looks almost like a Santro.

However I have never been one to judge the indian customer correctly so going by my track record the Getz will probably be a hit.

Trouble is that in this space the competition is either the Indica or the Sail/Palio. The former is plagued by poor fit and finish, the later by poor service reputations.
Old 21st September 2004, 13:50   #7
Team-BHP Support

which version was this. I drove the GL and was not impressed.
Old 21st September 2004, 17:54   #8
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (navin @ Sep. 21 2004,12:15)]However I have never been one to judge the indian customer correctly so going by my track record the Getz will probably be a hit.
Old 21st September 2004, 18:23   #9
BHPian

this was gls abs,.......top model around 5.30lakhs(del)
Old 21st September 2004, 18:29   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Both Getz testdrive topics have been merged

GTO
Old 28th September 2004, 13:47   #11
BHPian

Tat was coool...thnk u....

aNu
Old 30th September 2004, 19:46   #12
BANNED

i went to hyundai today for the getz inquiry. took it for a test drive as well. the test car was GL with all stuff fitted and also alloys and red in colour which looked HOT HOT HOT on the car. neways the engine is awesome. i turned it on and dint even know it was on. u have to press the clutch to start the car orelse it wont even start. how cool is that man. very nice. i loved it as GTO said that rear seats move front and back its not there in any model and the ABS is not even out so i dunno wht and how others drove that one. neways the price is 511000 and 540000 respectively. overall if u dont mind putting the money and love the car. i say dont wait. buy it.waiting is 3 weeks which is ok i guess. as for me i might just buy it. since i have checked out a lancer sfxi and vtec as well. so lets see.
Old 30th September 2004, 20:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (jesal @ Sep. 30 2004,18:16)]u have to press the clutch to start the car orelse it wont even start.
Whats the big deal about this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (jesal @ Sep. 30 2004,18:16)]ABS is not even out so i dunno wht and how others drove that one.
Last week saw one in my companys parking. It had that ABS sticker on the back.
Old 30th September 2004, 20:33   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] u have to press the clutch to start the car orelse it wont even start. how cool is that man. very nice.
I think this is an american safety regulation (so you dont crash the car while starting). I have seen it in all manual transmission cars in the States.

GTO
Old 30th September 2004, 20:53   #15

Hi,
* Saw a Getz in my Company Parking. It was a GL. The tyres i think were 155. Hyundai just for the sake of differentiation has different tyres for both of its models. With 82 under the hood 155 are definitely not safe.
Looks wise it is something i did not like. The space i felt is less than a Sail/indica/palio. I am waiting to test drive one then will update the group on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks