Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 12:32   #16
BHPian

Thanks firingonallfour(what a name!), yes, what a car!, I havent used the regular fuel till now, so dont know the diff yet. For my next fill i will use the regular and let you know.. another question - i found the roadgrip much better at 3 figure speeds than low speeds. What is your observation?
Old 30th October 2007, 11:37   #17
BHPian

arunk you are actually right .. the grip seems getting better as the speed increases, it kinda loves higher speeds

BTW arunk and firingonallfour please do post in your recent FE figures.
according to me the figures are settling around 13-14 kmpl though i'll be getting the exact figures soon [hoping that it is around 14]

cheers
gaurav

P.S. Congrats firingonallfour for your car
Old 30th October 2007, 11:56   #18
BHPian

I got FE of 20 on highway

Thanks beanstalk_230.

I got FE of 20 on highway Mumbai - Pune and back. Gear change at 2000 rarely 2500. This includes a Ghat section ( AC on all the time)

I dont think I will be so lucky with city FE's....13 - 14 maybe

I often do mumbai - pune in a camry and suspension and ride quality was comparable.

I thought road grip was better at all speeds.

Disc breaks make a huge difference.
Old 30th October 2007, 20:00   #19
BHPian

Till now i am with an FE of 12 to 13 on mixed drives , 50 - 50 city and open roads. My averages are calculated after 600 kms logs made up by almost 12 trips of 50 kms each. I drive 50 kms each to and from work. Not gone on any long drives yet, but you know iahve logged 2200 km in 3 weeks almost
Old 31st October 2007, 10:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Have any of you guys changed the OE bulbs of the car? I find them inadequate. When I talked to the A.S.S people, they weren't very forthcoming.
Old 31st October 2007, 10:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Have any of you guys changed the OE bulbs of the car? I find them inadequate. When I talked to the A.S.S people, they weren't very forthcoming.
Grossly adequate. Sooner or later I am going to thrown in the philips Rallyeye 100 / 90 I have sitting in my cupboard from my previous Accent. Dont want to mess around atleast till the first service.
Old 31st October 2007, 11:37   #22
BHPian

Exactly, they are very very inadequate in poorly lit roads . I too need to change them i guess.
Old 31st October 2007, 12:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

I want to get HIDs, but am worried about the warranty issues. Called up the 24hr helpline wrt this issue. A s#$% voiced lady said that I should contact the service center. And, the service center is just as clueless!
Old 31st October 2007, 20:36   #24
BHPian

Hey arunk, nice review about your Optra Magum Diesel. It must be fun driving that car. Getting lumbar seat for the co-passenger is a good idea!

The mileage you get sounds a bit less to me. Since you say, its a 50-50 combination, it should be in 16-17 km/L band.

cya
A
Old 2nd November 2007, 17:41   #25

I have an Optra Magnum LT , and I have tried Indianoil Diesel , Extra Mile and the Shell Diesel.

The car is a little sluggish with the regular diesel from Indianoil , but the Xtra Mile gives it real smooth and fast pickup.

The shell diesel gives very good mileage , but felt it is not as smooth as Xtramile. Haven't tried the Hi-Speed diesel from Bharat petroleum , will do that in the future.

My recommendation : Use Xtra Mile..
Old 2nd November 2007, 17:52   #26
BHPian

I really love the Magnum, and would prefer it over the Verna. But it seems that all maintainence issues have not been sorted. Reports still come in of parts not available. This is so primary in deciding to buy a vehicle. This has left me with no choice but to go in for the Verna. Which is quite a capable performer, and has no aftersales service issues.
Old 3rd November 2007, 10:55   #27
BHPian

vibsez, do you mean to say that optra magnum has an issue with maintenance or availability of parts?
Old 3rd November 2007, 15:08   #28
BHPian

My friend has a Optra Royale. He banged the side door while reversing. The company could not provide him with the window beading for 4 days. This maybe a one-off case, but then again, others might be facing this problem too vis-a-vis availability of parts. Buying a 9L+ car and then face such problems can be off-putting.
I must also mention that this incident happened 3 months back. Maybe things have improved.
Old 3rd November 2007, 16:49   #29
BHPian

ok here is another one. BP Hi speed Diesel its Sluggish and BP regular diesel its much crisper. Will try other brews and let you guys know.
Old 5th November 2007, 12:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunk View Post
Model -Optra Magnum LS.
Color - Platinum metallic.
Purchase date - oct 4.
OTR price - 9.91 L
Freebies - accesoroes worth 4k.
Extra fittings till date - Reverse parking sensors, exchanged the HU for a sony with aux in.

Brakes are good enough at speeds below 100. didnt try hard braking till now, but if GM had offered optional ABS and airbags at extra cost i would ve bought , the LT model is way too expensive and leather seats and trims etc , i didnt want.

Guys, anything else you want to know ask me
I think it's a fantastic looker and going by what you have posted should well match its looks with performance in the long run.
Just an observation arunK -- don't get me wrong -- you mentioned about ABS and airbags - just checked the GM site and found the difference between the LS and LT to be around a lac (with leather upholstery and a better music system thrown in). May have been worth a second thought?
I am ruing the fact that my car doesn't have these safety features despite costing 8.5 L on road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks