Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2008, 23:24   #151
BHPian

First Service done

First service done. Spent around 4 hours at Suraksha ogling at my baby as it went through the drills. Time well spent.

First impression : The engine is definitely a lot smoother. The gear notchiness and 3rd gear vibrations have reduced a great deal after a clutch plate adjustment. Though not completely absent. The handbrake has been tightened. Will be doing upto 3.5k rpms till the next service and will keep updating on the mileage.

Have been looking for a floor mat. The one I got from the original dealer does not seem to be intended for the SX4 as it is folding up in all the wrong places and not holding still in one place. Current owners, is the MGA transparent mat that is available an ideal fit? Does it stay in place and cover floor area well?

And for everyone looking for a good service station, I would definitely recommend Suraksha, Bommanahalli and particularly Lokesh, one of the senior guys there.

Also enquired on getting higher wattage headlights with him, as this is wanting in the SX4. But there is no kit currently available for the SX4. As per him, when they had converted the 60/50 available to a 100/90 with relays, the fuses had apparently blown in the Wagon R/Estilo and in SX4 the ones for the ABS/Airbags had blown. So currently they are not willing to do it. As soon as something is available he would be informing me.

Cheers and Happy Driving!
Arun
Old 20th March 2008, 10:51   #152
VBV
BHPian

Hi Arun,

I've got transparent mats after going through advice here... It fits well. And it looks clean as well. Its also much easier to clean.

The headlamps are not an issue, atleast in my car and a few others. But the authorised service personnel will not do it, they will take it to someone else and get it done. I've been using the new lamps for about 6 months now and I cannot imagine how I lived without it. The headlamp leveller is a tool that needs to be used correctly. I've driven quite long feeling that the light is not good, before I saw I'd not set the level properly.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:00   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaud View Post
First service done. Spent around 4 hours at Suraksha ogling at my baby as it went through the drills. Time well spent.

First impression : The engine is definitely a lot smoother. The gear notchiness and 3rd gear vibrations have reduced a great deal after a clutch plate adjustment. Though not completely absent. The handbrake has been tightened. Will be doing upto 3.5k rpms till the next service and will keep updating on the mileage.

Have been looking for a floor mat. The one I got from the original dealer does not seem to be intended for the SX4 as it is folding up in all the wrong places and not holding still in one place. Current owners, is the MGA transparent mat that is available an ideal fit? Does it stay in place and cover floor area well?

And for everyone looking for a good service station, I would definitely recommend Suraksha, Bommanahalli and particularly Lokesh, one of the senior guys there.

Also enquired on getting higher wattage headlights with him, as this is wanting in the SX4. But there is no kit currently available for the SX4. As per him, when they had converted the 60/50 available to a 100/90 with relays, the fuses had apparently blown in the Wagon R/Estilo and in SX4 the ones for the ABS/Airbags had blown. So currently they are not willing to do it. As soon as something is available he would be informing me.

Cheers and Happy Driving!
Arun
Maxaud,
I got the transparent floor mat free with the car, it is tailor made for SX4 and fits in perfectly covering all the areas. It has small spikes kind of things on the reverse which hold the mat to the floor and doesnt move at all.It really looks neat and an excellent accessory.
Regarding the lights - Try with diff headlight levels, initially even i felt the lights wanting.Tried with diff levels and now am pretty comf with it.

Now regarding my earlier concern abt stalling, i guess its a common feature of SX4 - Low torque at low rpms.Need to get used to this - keeping the revs higher.

And the power drop with AC on - There is definetly something to be tuned or wrong here.Heres one example to make the problem i am facing more clear.
On a slightly uphill slope with the AC on and constant rpm of abt 2.2k or a lil more in 2nd gear if i switch off the AC the car jumps to life and surges ahead and when i switch AC on again the power literally dies all of a sudden and the car becomes totally sedate.I have done this many times intentionally keeping the rpm dead constant throughout the process.

Are you guys facing anything similar? Any thought on this??Had never faced anything like this before my first service.

Planning to take this up with the service guys in my second service either @Bimal or Suraksha.
Old 20th March 2008, 18:00   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
Now regarding my earlier concern abt stalling, i guess its a common feature of SX4 - Low torque at low rpms.Need to get used to this - keeping the revs higher.
Hi,
can you elaborate over this?
I am using SX4 for 9K and absolutely happy about its power and rpm band. Even my car does not stall at 550-600 rpm during below two conditions.
1. This low rpm is reached when I am doing uphill crawl and avoid acceleration on climbing util clutch is fully engaged in first gear. This is stop and go during uphill.
2. Same for 3rd/4th gear while deaccelerating from top speed to stand still. I shift to low gears either to accelerate or rpm drops further and to avoid engine stalling.

Quote:
And the power drop with AC on - There is definetly something to be tuned or wrong here.Heres one example to make the problem i am facing more clear.
In idle, between AC on/off, I can see difference of < 100rpm only. What difference it will make for 2k rpm? Mileage difference between with AC usage and without AC use, is never noticed. If anybody has different experience, please do share.

OT: Here in Pune, I have seen how guys with big cars drive- accelerate and frequently apply breaks. I think some kind of superiority complex drives them to do this. But mileage hits!

Last edited by omishra : 20th March 2008 at 18:05.
Old 20th March 2008, 18:37   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though, there is a lack of low end torque, it does not necessary translate to stalling. I for once, have not encountered much of a problem.

Quote:
On a slightly uphill slope with the AC on and constant rpm of abt 2.2k or a lil more in 2nd gear if i switch off the AC the car jumps to life and surges ahead and when i switch AC on again the power literally dies all of a sudden and the car becomes totally sedate.I have done this many times intentionally keeping the rpm dead constant throughout the process.
This is quite an inherent behaviour with most cars with AC. Also, bear in mind, the AC motor, especially with the climate control, initially requires lot of power to maintain an optimum temperature quickly.

Quote:
In idle, between AC on/off, I can see difference of < 100rpm only. What difference it will make for 2k rpm? Mileage difference between with AC usage and without AC use, is never noticed. If anybody has different experience, please do share
Well, I can suffice that.. I see a difference 1-2 kms with AC/no AC mileage scenarios
Old 21st March 2008, 13:25   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Though, there is a lack of low end torque, it does not necessary translate to stalling. I for once, have not encountered much of a problem.
Totally agree on this ITNerd, meant to say that the low torque makes driving in bumper-bumper traffic painful and am still to get used to this and stall occasionally.

Am getting an FE of 12 +/- 0.5 in Bangalore traffic with the climate control on always and with normal petrol.
Old 21st March 2008, 19:29   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree on this ITNerd, meant to say that the low torque makes driving in bumper-bumper traffic painful and am still to get used to this and stall occasionally.

Am getting an FE of 12 +/- 0.5 in Bangalore traffic with the climate control on always and with normal petrol.
Very good FE in bangy traffic.. congrats on your new car..

Picture this - SX4 with NHC's FE, Fiesta's handling, Aveo's interior and Verna's rocket engine!! How is that gonna be like? .. I say, a complete MAN cheers:
Old 24th March 2008, 11:19   #158
BHPian

Hi omishra,
I am not too happy with the Low-end-torque for exactly the same reason that Sandegov has cited. Makes bumper to bumper driving very difficult. I have stalled a few times too trying to move in second gear. Now I am having to change my driving style to downshift to 1st in slow moving traffic. This maybe a more disciplined driving style but an unnecessary one nevertheless, one which is not mandated in other cars. The SX4 is more made for the highways and in its element there.

Have not noticed any significant drop in power when turning on the A/c yet. Will keep a lookout.

Sandegov - thats one helluva FE in city conditions! congrats!

Arun
Old 24th March 2008, 13:06   #159
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaud View Post
Hi omishra,
I am not too happy with the Low-end-torque for exactly the same reason that Sandegov has cited. Makes bumper to bumper driving very difficult. I have stalled a few times too trying to move in second gear.

The SX4 is more made for the highways and in its element there.

Arun
Interesting... Though, I am not happy with low end torque, I never had to stall. I actually found it better than quite a few cars. Somewhere in the forum, you'll see a few attempts to drive a SX4 completely from 2nd gear (strongly discouraged by other forum members).

But I do agree with you that the car is built for the highways and is in its elements there. Try it on a bad stretch of highway and you'll like it even more.

VBV
Old 24th March 2008, 15:29   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
Somewhere in the forum, you'll see a few attempts to drive a SX4 completely from 2nd gear (strongly discouraged by other forum members).
VBV
I am one of them . I try to avoid it but some time I forget to get into 1st.

I pulled the car from stop to go in 3rd also. It required somewhere 1500+ rpm to do the job. (Once on uphill too, but that time I was alone in the car). On plain road, 2nd works easily, though clutch will also be burned equal easily.

I agree, during stop and go uphill, SX4 is sluggish in response but not ever stalling engine. Within 1K rpm max and 1st gear it climbs up.

Anyway its you judgement of road and your driving choice!

Last edited by omishra : 24th March 2008 at 15:31.
Old 24th March 2008, 16:08   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
But I do agree with you that the car is built for the highways and is in its elements there. Try it on a bad stretch of highway and you'll like it even more.
I don't agree with that. I was on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway yesterday and though I managed to do a speedo indicated top speed of 150kmph, the car felt VERY nervous specially on even slightly rough surfaces. The main culprit being that horrid EPS that felt extremely twitchy every time the road surface was anything less then table top smooth.

Ovarall, IMO, the Palio feels much more solid and composed at high speeds then the SX4.
Old 24th March 2008, 16:09   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Ovarall, IMO, the Palio feels much more solid and composed at high speeds then the SX4.
Palio is a different league altogether on handling aspects. It is the original road-hugger!
Old 24th March 2008, 18:55   #163
BHPian

Test drive before you buy!
Old 24th March 2008, 20:44   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Very good FE in bangy traffic.. congrats on your new car..

Picture this - SX4 with NHC's FE, Fiesta's handling, Aveo's interior and Verna's rocket engine!! How is that gonna be like? .. I say, a complete MAN cheers:
How about a Customized performance tuner for the car, so that we adjust the torque, handling based on the driving style, highway, city etc. Like the NFS Most wanted game.
Old 24th March 2008, 20:48   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The main culprit being that horrid EPS that felt extremely twitchy every time the road surface was anything less then table top smooth.
I think you need to check EPS from other SX4 too. I saw many of your posts reporting EPS and wheel tracking issue. I have driven my SX4 on many state highways, e.g. Ahmadnagar-Aurangabad-Ellora-Dhule, Sangamner-Kopargaon, Ahmadnagar-Manmad-Malegaon. These are certainly not near to Mumbai-Pune Expressway quality anyway. But I felt no issues with EPS. I cover 425km in 6.5-7.0 hrs on these routes.

Last edited by omishra : 24th March 2008 at 20:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks