Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2007, 11:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Update: Post First service and 1200 kms

The first service is done at S.K.Automotive and what a disaster that place is. None of the problems were solved to my satisfaction. Following are the problems and S.K's response:

1. Steering off Centered: Earlier the steering was off centered to the right. Now it's off centered to the left. When the car is parked the steering is centered with the wheels pointing straight ahead. When I start driving, I have to keep the steering slightly tilted. I don't know whats happening.

2. Wheel Alignment: I was told it's done but nothing was actually done. I am now feeling that the problem is not of mis-alignment but maybe of the power steering. The problem is that the car sometimes pulls to the right and sometimes to the left. This fact was communicated to the service advisor in the morning and he said it seemed like a mis alignment. And this happens the moment I leave the steering. If it was wheel alignment the car would have pulled only to one side right? Also, when I take a sharp U turn there is no squealing from the tyres, which is why I feel the problem is not of alignment. There is a service shop near my office and I asked them to lift the car up on the ramp. There was no damage on the underbody so that reason is ruled out too. By the way, if there is a problem with the power steering, a light lights up in the dash isnt it? Nothing of that sort happens in my car so this mystery is, well, mysterious.

3. Handbrake issue: The handbrake feels better to use now and there is no doubt that it's working much better now then earlier however the car still rolls down the slope outside my office. My Palio holds steady with just 2 clicks of the handbrake while the Sx4 rolls down even with the handbrake pulled up fully.

4. Trunk issue is solved although I still have to shove it down hard. Harder then what I prefer but maybe it's just me.

5. Third Gear vibration: The service center said its common on all SX4's and there is nothing that can be done about it. While giving the car in the morning I told them that this is a common issue that can be solved but they don't agree. The advisor even offered me a test drive in another SX4 saying I could see that it's common on SX4's. Just so I am on the same understanding about this issue with other SX4 owners, what kind of vibration do you feel? In my car, there is a very slight vibration that I can feel thru the gear lever in third gear. The lever itself doesn't vibrate though.

In the morning it took about 30 mins for the advisor to attend to me. And the door sill on the driver's side was messed up with grease and muck. I took delivery of the car at about 7 pm and hence didn't notice this. The next morning I called up the service advisor and blew him up but all he said was bring your car over on tuesday or wednesday and we will do it up. The entire service seems like a hurried up job. Totally disgusting. I paid Rs.13xx for the first service which is more then the Rs.9xx odd paid by another SX4 owner for his second service.

Here is another disappointment I have noticed in the car.

In Kharghar, FM Channels 91.1, 92.7 and 94.3 are hazy and not clear while 104.0 Fever FM is totally absent. The radio catches Fever when I move ahead from the big fountain (Navi Mumbaites will know this better. Sorry not famaliar with the Sector number there) In my Palio all the channels are crystal clear anywhere in Kharghar.

Last edited by amit : 12th November 2007 at 11:24.
Old 12th November 2007, 12:00   #32
BHPian

Also, no low fuel warning!

I understand from my friend, who owns a Sx4 that, there is no low fule waring lampor indication in the car? Is it true! My Santro has it, so does my Fiat Adventure! Its a must have! Amit, can you confirm this?

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
There is one more dislike that I forgot to mention in the car .

There are no coin holders. My Palio has them and they really are a big boon.

On a slope, the car with it's handbrake pulled up doesn't stand if the gear is not engaged. The parking outside my office is on a slope and with the parking brake pulled up fully, the car still flows down. Never happens to any of the other cars parked and even to my Palio.

Pics are coming up soon.
Old 12th November 2007, 12:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1310 View Post
I understand from my friend, who owns a Sx4 that, there is no low fule waring lampor indication in the car? Is it true!
Yes it's true. In fact, it seems from Maruti cars owners that none of the Maruti cars have the low fuel indicator so it's not a solely SX4 feature. There is a thread about this on the forum too.
Old 12th November 2007, 12:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is that the car sometimes pulls to the right and sometimes to the left.
This could also be because of the slope in the road, right?
Old 12th November 2007, 12:54   #35
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
The first service is done at S.K.Automotive and what a disaster that place is. None of the problems were solved to my satisfaction. Following are the problems and S.K's response:

1. Steering off Centered: Earlier the steering was off centered to the right. Now it's off centered to the left. When the car is parked the steering is centered with the wheels pointing straight ahead. When I start driving, I have to keep the steering slightly tilted. I don't know whats happening.

2. Wheel Alignment: I was told it's done but nothing was actually done. I am now feeling that the problem is not of mis-alignment but maybe of the power steering. The problem is that the car sometimes pulls to the right and sometimes to the left. This fact was communicated to the service advisor in the morning and he said it seemed like a mis alignment. And this happens the moment I leave the steering. If it was wheel alignment the car would have pulled only to one side right? Also, when I take a sharp U turn there is no squealing from the tyres, which is why I feel the problem is not of alignment. There is a service shop near my office and I asked them to lift the car up on the ramp. There was no damage on the underbody so that reason is ruled out too. By the way, if there is a problem with the power steering, a light lights up in the dash isnt it? Nothing of that sort happens in my car so this mystery is, well, mysterious.

3. Handbrake issue: The handbrake feels better to use now and there is no doubt that it's working much better now then earlier however the car still rolls down the slope outside my office. My Palio holds steady with just 2 clicks of the handbrake while the Sx4 rolls down even with the handbrake pulled up fully.

4. Trunk issue is solved although I still have to shove it down hard. Harder then what I prefer but maybe it's just me.

5. Third Gear vibration: The service center said its common on all SX4's and there is nothing that can be done about it. While giving the car in the morning I told them that this is a common issue that can be solved but they don't agree. The advisor even offered me a test drive in another SX4 saying I could see that it's common on SX4's. Just so I am on the same understanding about this issue with other SX4 owners, what kind of vibration do you feel? In my car, there is a very slight vibration that I can feel thru the gear lever in third gear. The lever itself doesn't vibrate though.

In the morning it took about 30 mins for the advisor to attend to me. And the door sill on the driver's side was messed up with grease and muck. I took delivery of the car at about 7 pm and hence didn't notice this. The next morning I called up the service advisor and blew him up but all he said was bring your car over on tuesday or wednesday and we will do it up. The entire service seems like a hurried up job. Totally disgusting. I paid Rs.13xx for the first service which is more then the Rs.9xx odd paid by another SX4 owner for his second service.

Here is another disappointment I have noticed in the car.

In Kharghar, FM Channels 91.1, 92.7 and 94.3 are hazy and not clear while 104.0 Fever FM is totally absent. The radio catches Fever when I move ahead from the big fountain (Navi Mumbaites will know this better. Sorry not famaliar with the Sector number there) In my Palio all the channels are crystal clear anywhere in Kharghar.
It looks like there is a clear problem with alignment, it might be difficult to figure out if its a steering issue or a wheel issue. You might want to drive another SX4 to determine if its a specific car issue. This looks pretty serious and you might want to even get an expert from a reputed service center to look at your car. Or if its possible, get a change.

Regarding service, one thing that works in Maruti is feedback, screw them up on rating and see if they respond quick. Else I suggest you pick another service center.

I got my second service done for zero bucks, but I had paid 1300 for my first one. I believe its due to the fact that the first service includes an oil change, which the second one does not.

The third gear vibration exists at a minimal level in most Maruti cars, but before my car's first service it was quite a lot. I used to feel it, with the lever transmitting it. That's now reduced to a bear minimum.

I believe the handbrake is made not-so-tight, to allow for people to use brake to move up on slopes, so that releasing clutch does not become a problem. I never use it that way, though. So its not really a personal experience.

Trunk issue: I just push it beyond the point where it stops going back up and then gravity takes care of locking.

HIH,
VBV
PS: I prefer to select my music myself, so I seldom use FM, hence I cannot comment on it.
Old 12th November 2007, 13:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
This could also be because of the slope in the road, right?
It happens on straight and smooth roads too.

I have a Friday appointment with Vitesse for these issues. The sales already know about three of the problems (Steering off centered, no alignment and gear vibration) from the feedback I gave on the car a few days after delivery. I plan to call the showroom on Wednesday informing them that I will be at their service center on Friday so they can have their experts take a look at the car.

By the way, the grinding noise that I reported is almost gone. I am not sure if it's actually a problem or just some noise that comes due to less then perfect co-ordination between leaving the clutch and tapping the accelarator while driving. Nothing of this sort happens on my Palio but I guess different cars behave differently. I think I'll drive down to some Maruti dealership in my Palio and test drive a SX4 to see if these issues are common to the SX4.

Last edited by amit : 12th November 2007 at 13:20.
Old 12th November 2007, 13:40   #37
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
It happens on straight and smooth roads too.

I have a Friday appointment with Vitesse for these issues. The sales already know about three of the problems (Steering off centered, no alignment and gear vibration) from the feedback I gave on the car a few days after delivery. I plan to call the showroom on Wednesday informing them that I will be at their service center on Friday so they can have their experts take a look at the car.
Sounds like a good plan.

Best of luck.

VBV
Old 12th November 2007, 13:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

I've had this off center and wheel alignment issue in my Swift too. I thought the steering wheel was off center, but quite little so. But I think I have OCD about these things. The SA told me, that there are notches in the steering wheel. Should he move a notch here or there to try and compensate, it would be out of place even more. Though it's really quite a small degree off center.

My car occasionally moves to the left or right too. But sometimes it doesn't drift around at all. Mumbai roads are too pothole ridden, to come to a fair conclusion. And the EPS is quite sensitive. I have been looking for abnormal tyre wear regularly, and 11000 kms hence, still nothing yet.
Old 12th November 2007, 18:00   #39
BHPian

I am also facing similar issues. The clutch was very vibrant, I was told that it will be rectified in the first service..but even after the first service it still persists...

Another issue with the car is that it makes some squeeky sound when i start in the morning..I am sure that this is because of screwed up work on AC during the first servicce..I had similar issues in my earlier car..

I am revisiting the service center again tommrow to get them fixed..keeping my fingers crossed that it gets done..inspite of paying heafty amount for the car..

Vijay
Old 12th November 2007, 18:01   #40
BHPian

very nice review Amit.

Very bad that new car is having those flaws which ideally should come after few thousand kms of running. as some one mentioned May be it is checked in the friday evening or monday morning hahahhah

And whoever drive the palio, it is naturally difficult for them to get adjust with any other vehicle :-).

Palio is such a nice car. People dont cry for the problems of Maruthi, but if the same happens with FIAT they crib loudly donno why.

Thanks
-Channa
Old 18th November 2007, 10:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

I tried to write a email to Maruti about the faults in my car through the 'contact us' section on their website. After listing down all my problems, I click submit and get the following message.

Quote:
ADODB.Command error '800a0d5d'

Application uses a value of the wrong type for the current operation.

/ab/contactins.asp, line 142
I wonder why we flame Ford, Fiat, Skoda, GM etc etc for all these things.
Old 18th November 2007, 21:37   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I tried to write a email to Maruti about the faults in my car through the 'contact us' section on their website. After listing down all my problems, I click submit and get the following message.

I wonder why we flame Ford, Fiat, Skoda, GM etc etc for all these things.
Why not complain through tollfree no?
Old 21st November 2007, 09:46   #43
BHPian

BTW, I tried to park in slope with just handbrake on, it just stays.
Old 21st November 2007, 10:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, the grinding noise that I reported is almost gone. I am not sure if it's actually a problem or just some noise that comes due to less then perfect co-ordination between leaving the clutch and tapping the accelarator while driving.
I too get a grinding noise in first gear, but guess its because I am yet to get used this. Another thing that I noticed in my car is that whenever I change to a higher gear by pressing the clutch immediately after I remove my leg from the accelerator, the rpm rises by a few 100 rpm. If I press the clutch about 2 seconds after releasing the accelerator, then the rpm increase is not there. This was not the case with the carb zen I was driving earlier. Do all MPFI cars behave in this manner or is it because SX4 has drive by wire throttle?
Old 26th November 2007, 16:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to the Anytime Maruti Toll free number and made a complaint about the following:

1. Vehicle pulling to left and right.
2. Third Gear Vibration.
3. Trunk doesn't close easily.
4. Poor Radio Reception in Kharghar.

Also told them about the fact that neither S.K. nor Vitesse have been able to solve these issues. The guy gave me a compliant number and told me that he will forward the compliant to the correct authority and that if possible, I should take the car back to Vitesse to get the issues fixed. Lets see how this goes.

The car's manual also comes with a feedback form where you can list down any defects in the car. I filled it up and posted it a couple of weeks back too.

I will take the car back to S.K. this week and wait for Maruti to take this issue up for 2 weeks. If these problems are not fixed then the next step would be to contact AutoCar India.

Let's see if Maruti's reputation is well earned or just hype.

Last edited by amit : 26th November 2007 at 16:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks