Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2008, 18:19   #61
BHPian

Hmm, very sad to hear issues are still not solved. Let us see what they do.
Old 8th January 2008, 22:03   #62
BHPian

even from 1995????????????

[quote=amit;681303]My take is that there could be a EPS problem but the EPS light does not glow in the dash. There are times when I have to hold the steering tight and I can feel it resisting my inputs and wanting to tilt right. Once I was in the toll line and the car had to driven in first gear-stop-first gear-stop format till the toll payment and every time I started to drive the car the steering turned to the right on it's own pulling the car with it (I had left the steering wheel fully). When I say the car pulls right or left the pull is sharp and diganol across lanes on the road and it happens as soon as I leave the steering!

My Maruti 800, 1995 model had the identical alignment problem when I bought it in 2002. I was unable to correct it till I sold it in Nov-2007.
Old 8th January 2008, 23:08   #63

i got some thing similar in my santro just after tyre rotation. Later it was found that since tyre rotation happened after long time, hence one of the front wheels were more worn (by few mm). The car would try to stear itself towards more worn wheel. ultimately the tyres were put where they were originally, and problem went.
Old 14th January 2008, 13:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

The steering/alignment mystery has deepened.

1.) There is a almost 50% improvement in the way the car drives now. How? Fed up and frustrated with the car, I ripped the car real bad on Friday evening and Saturday. Zoomed over potholes and bad stretches on the roads like I was driving on the smooth autobahns. Every gear shift was done at about 3500-4500rpm. At the end of 50 kms the car started holding straight for much longer then it used to! The steering still goes heavy and pushes against my hands on rough patches but overall it seems to have improved marginally! I don't know how and why this happened but it did.

2.) I drove a Zen Estilo and 2 Wagon R's of my colleagues over the weekend. All the cars have the same problem!! No wonder the Vitesse couldn't understand what the fuss was about. Ironically, none of my colleagues, like lakhs of Maruti owners, realised this 'fault' with their cars. I am beginning to wonder if I am actually making a fuss about this problem or it's just the way EPS behaves. I got my car in October 2007. The wagon R's were delivered about a month before my SX4 and the Zen Estilo about 30-45 days after my car. Is it a problem with new batches only?
Old 14th January 2008, 13:42   #65
Team-BHP Support

I have felt that EPS systems are not very well fixed in straight ahead position. In my lancer you need considerable effort to move from the centre position. In my Alto it's easier. Changing from hydraulic to EPS you do feel a big difference.

Also, I am just wondering with the huge 205 profile JK vectra's and the light EPS your car may be displaying tramlining effect which is more pronounced.
Old 14th January 2008, 13:43   #66
BHPian

I think the reported problems are far too many for a new car. One of my friends also face almost identical problems and he works as a correspondent for ToI, though not in auto domain.

I thought initially that his car may be a "black sheep" among the lot. But after reading this thread it looks like Maruti has tweaked the "quality-price" trade-off a bit too much for more VFM factor.

It may be a good idea for them to come out with a SX4.1 version which fixes all these issues and add some cosmetic changes for media/public.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:05   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Changing from hydraulic to EPS you do feel a big difference.
I do agree with that. When I drive my Palio I feel the steering is very heavy when I am turning. I never felt this way for 3 years until I bought the SX4.

Quote:
Also, I am just wondering with the huge 205 profile JK vectra's and the light EPS your car may be displaying tramlining effect which is more pronounced.
I don't think the tyres play a role. If that was the case then the Zen and Wagon R's wouldn't behave the same way.

Quote:
One of my friends also face almost identical problems
His car also has the vehicle pulling problem? Has he taken it to Maruti service for this issue and whats the take of Maruti's Bangalore dealers on this?

Last edited by amit : 14th January 2008 at 15:07.
Old 14th January 2008, 22:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

When I switch on the blower there is a foul smell that comes out of the vents. When I switch on the A/c or switch the HVAC system to 'fresh air' the smell disappears. This has been happening from day one!

Why haven't I complained to the "famed" Maruti dealers? Whats the point? All they will say is 'there is no problem. This is normal.'

SX4 and other Maruti car owners, are you facing a similar issue?
Old 15th January 2008, 11:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
When I switch on the blower there is a foul smell that comes out of the vents. When I switch on the A/c or switch the HVAC system to 'fresh air' the smell disappears. This has been happening from day one!

Why haven't I complained to the "famed" Maruti dealers? Whats the point? All they will say is 'there is no problem. This is normal.'

I guess the interiors of your car need to be cleaned thoroughly. Else how is it possible to get a foul smell in recirculation mode?
Old 15th January 2008, 12:29   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess the interiors of your car need to be cleaned thoroughly. Else how is it possible to get a foul smell in recirculation mode?
Its possible if the recirculation mode does not fully insulate outside air. Another getz owner reported the same issue.

Hope the issues with the car will be sorted out soon. All the Best!!

Last edited by PatienceWins : 15th January 2008 at 12:31.
Old 15th January 2008, 12:59   #71

Quote:

Its really sad to see that you have so many issues with your SX4. I also own an SX4 since July, 2007. But I have never faced this wheel alignment problem. In fact after going thru this thread I drove my SX4 in the Eastern Express Hway removing my hands from the steering and it rode very well even in such high speed. Also at lower speeds in the Toll naka, it rides quite nicely on its own.
So far A/C is concerned, I do not have any problem.
As a whole I am very satisfied with my SX4 and my service centre Fortpoint, Thane.
Old 15th January 2008, 16:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurindam View Post
I drove my SX4 in the Eastern Express Hway removing my hands from the steering and it rode very well even in such high speed. Also at lower speeds in the Toll naka, it rides quite nicely on its own.
Did you notice any heaviness in the steering over rough patches? It feels like the steering is pushing against your hands and you have to hold it hard to keep the car straight? This is particularly noticeable on the Thane creek bridge where the vehicle pulling problem is at it's worst.
Old 16th January 2008, 16:46   #73
BHPian

Quote:

I do.. have the same issue.. And just as you said..the guy in the service center had had no clue on what it was.
Old 16th January 2008, 18:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you notice any heaviness in the steering over rough patches? It feels like the steering is pushing against your hands and you have to hold it hard to keep the car straight? This is particularly noticeable on the Thane creek bridge where the vehicle pulling problem is at it's worst.
When you say 'steering is pushing against your hands', I suppose you mean it is pulling right or left on rough roads. Perhaps an EPS is more sensitive to undulations on the road , and since you were used to HPS all along, this might be causing discomfort to you.
As far as I am concerned, I have been owning a WagonR for the past 6 years, and a Fiesta for the past year. I find the WagonR steering more effortless in city-driving. I can turn the steering with even a finger, while the Fiesta requires a tad more effort.
But on highways, I get better feedback on the Fiesta,and I feel confident of driving at high speeds. The WagonR does not feel as reassuring, though the steering does become tauter at speeds above 50 kmph.
Perhaps, if I had owned a HPS car for long, and then bought a car with EPS, I would have felt the same way as you.
Old 16th January 2008, 21:40   #75
BHPian

Quote:

No Amit, I haven't faced this smelling issue (I always put in re-circ mode). I can recheck it.

Also, I tried taking my hands off steering while I am in speeds 40 & above, the car went straight.

Anyway I have different issue that clutch & accelerator are vibrating (not shaking) in RPMs 2000 and beyond. Dealer is unable to fix it yet !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks