Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2008, 14:00   #91
Senior - BHPian

I guess Maruti is taking SX4 owners for a ride, possibly because it is selling like hotcakes. They can afford to ignore such niggling issues as long as people keep buying that car. If they come to know that people are shying away from buying that car, they will surely respond. This IMO is the basic theory of economics.
I bought a Fiesta a couple of months before the SX4 was launched, and after its launch took a test drive. I liked the steering mounted audio controls and the GC, but that is it. In all other aspects, I rated my Fiesta 1.6 better.
Old 20th January 2008, 14:04   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
prskumar,

I did not get you. You plan to put off your SX4 purchase till the diesel version is launched ? But what if the diesel has the same problems (boot lock, pulling to one side, clutch side) ??

Or you are expecting better quality in the diesel version ? Which could be unlikely !! Why ? because so far MUL and the dealers have failed to acknowledge these problems and secondly with the diesel version , SX4 sales will hit the roof - leading to a compromise while manufacturing which leads to these problems.
I was just hoping that by the time SX4 diesel is released, MUL would have sorted out these problems.

Anyway, my heart is still with SX4. I'll be back in Bangalore by April and start the test drives. Till then I'll watch out for more reviews from other owners.
Old 21st January 2008, 18:48   #93
Senior - BHPian

There is some progress with Maruti on the issues in my car. I faxed a letter to Maruti's service division in Gurgaon stating the issues and the dealer's responses on Thursday evening at 6 pm. I didn't mention my telephone number or email id but mentioned the registeration number, chassis and engine no of my car. I didn't leave my contact details delibrately because I wanted to see how serious Maruti was in solving a customer's issues and ended my letter stating that I would be surprised if they made an effort to help me out. Information about this thread was also given in the letter with a link to the same.

Today at 4 pm I got a call from Maruti Gurgaon asking me to confirm my address to them. Once that was done they have told me they will get back to me in a couple of days after making their investigation.

Before we hail Maruti for their customer service, lets wait and see if they will do something about this or toe the same line as Vitesse.

An email to AutoCar India's helpline was also sent on thursday.
Old 21st January 2008, 23:46   #94
Team-BHP Support

For the boot not closing on the first attempt you need to look at the the boot release lever below the seat. It seems when you pull that lever it gets a bit stuck. So when you close the boot it doesnt close. Then you slam it in and you manage to push the lever back with that force. You need to tweak the lever with some oil and make sure it goes back fully. Then the boot will close on first attempt.

I just took delivery of a friend's SX4 today and during my check i noticed this and helped the service advisor fix the issue.
Old 29th January 2008, 17:50   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi Amit

Any updates?
Old 29th January 2008, 17:52   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
For the boot not closing on the first attempt you need to look at the the boot release lever below the seat. It seems when you pull that lever it gets a bit stuck. So when you close the boot it doesnt close. Then you slam it in and you manage to push the lever back with that force. You need to tweak the lever with some oil and make sure it goes back fully. Then the boot will close on first attempt.
No such problems with the lever in my car. It's just pathetic quality.

Anyway, I have a thursday appointment with a Maruti Service engineer at S.K.Wheels. I expect the same 'whats the problem?' or 'it's bad roads' but lets see.

A second SX4 owner has scrapped me on orkut about the same vehicle pulling on either side problem so it's definately not normal. One guy says the Maruti ASC he took his car to said the vehicle pulls to either side because of the 16" wheels!

Last edited by amit : 29th January 2008 at 17:54.
Old 29th January 2008, 23:09   #97

The No Problem Car for Me

Hello Friends,

I should consider myself as lucky, the reason is, i completed 1016 kms during 1 service ( 26 days ) 35% city/rural roads ( very bad roads ) and 65% on Highway ( Excellent road ) with 80% AC on.

In first month, i covered around 1016 KMS and by god's grace i have not found any fault or any problem with my car. I just got only one puncture, which was fixed by dealer for 45Rs ( during 1st service ).

My only small concern was reverse gear. I am still not comfortable or successful in putting the reverse gear at first attempt. I have to try for at least 3 times. Apart for reverse gear issue, i dont see any problems.

Regards,
Rajesh.
Maruti SX4 - ZXI.
Old 30th January 2008, 13:53   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1310 View Post
I understand from my friend, who owns a Sx4 that, there is no low fule waring lampor indication in the car? Is it true! My Santro has it, so does my Fiat Adventure! Its a must have! Amit, can you confirm this?

Regards
dont you think its more advisable to just keep atleast ten litres in your car always , why wait till the warning lamp lights up and then head for the gas station
Old 30th January 2008, 15:55   #99
BHPian

All: I am a very satisfised SX4 user for the past 6 months. So far done around 3500kms only. On some of the issues discussed in this thread:

1. Boot closing issue: Yes, I also had this issue.. However during the 2nd service, I mentioned it to Mandovi Blr, and they solved the issue fully. Now, I just need to close the boot gently and it locks fully.

2. Milege: So far, I have been driving inside the city only.. Consistantly I am getting 10km/Ltr. Considering the traffic I am negotiating, I cannot complain. My old Zen was giving me only ~12-13Km/Ltr (it used to give me ~20km in the highway).

3. Gear Issues (3rd gear vibration, reverse gear): No issues at all. At times, putting the gear to reverse is not very smooth, but nothing to complain so much (I am comparing this with my earlier Zen gear shifting whis was buttor smooth).

4. Driving Pleasure: I am enjoying it 100%. Absoulutly no complains.

5. Rattling sounds etc: Intially there were some rattling from the left side of dash. However, Mandovi Blr could fix it during the 1st service. After that, so far no issues.

6. EPS / moving side-ways etc: After seeing this thread, tried this myself, but could not see any issues. Out of 4-5 times when I took my hands off the wheel, only once I saw the tendency to move sideways. I would discount that.

7. Foul smell: Don't have this issue. I do not roll-down the window, nor I smoke. Car inside is as clean as the time of delivery. AC is also kept in the re-circulation mode only. May be that is the reason I don't face this problem.

In fact I cannot really put down any major defects or issues with my Sx4. In the last 6 months, I cannot recollect a single momement of regret for choosing this car. I selected Sx4 over all other models for the following reasons:

- Value for money.. To me, quality beyond the need is a waste. To me, as long as the car & all its parts (including the plastic etc..) maintain its quality, durability and reliability for 6-7 years (that is the duration I would keep a car), that is good enough for me.. Imported leather, high quality plastics etc are all nice to have features only.
- Service network & cost of maintenance: Maruti beats every one in this aspect.
- Brand acceptability at the time of selling: Here too I will rate maruti higher.

Irrespective of the brand, make etc.. unfortunate things happens. I think we should not generalise things based on 5 or 10 cases. However, Maruti should take customer complaints very seriously. I agree to that point 100%. I am sure Maruti must have sold 1000s of Sx4 so far.. By and large, I would assume Sx4 owners are happy. Otherwise how can they maintain the sales? Since I have not taken the car for a long drive, I know I haven't judged the car fully. I am planning for a long trip in Feb, so hopefully I will continue to praise Sx4 even after the planned trip.

Regards
Vinay
Old 30th January 2008, 21:09   #100

My exact thoughts Vinay. Thanks for putting it quite well.
I own the SX4 since August,2007 and I really do not have much to complaint.
In fact its a real pleasure to drive this car, specially on the highways.
I get a mileage of around 12 - 12.7 Km/Ltr( 60% Hway & 40% city).
However, I do agree that the plastics and the interiors could have been better, but as Vinay put it, I also feel these to be 'nice to have' features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
All: I am a very satisfised SX4 user for the past 6 months. So far done around 3500kms only. On some of the issues discussed in this thread:

1. Boot closing issue: Yes, I also had this issue.. However during the 2nd service, I mentioned it to Mandovi Blr, and they solved the issue fully. Now, I just need to close the boot gently and it locks fully.

2. Milege: So far, I have been driving inside the city only.. Consistantly I am getting 10km/Ltr. Considering the traffic I am negotiating, I cannot complain. My old Zen was giving me only ~12-13Km/Ltr (it used to give me ~20km in the highway).

3. Gear Issues (3rd gear vibration, reverse gear): No issues at all. At times, putting the gear to reverse is not very smooth, but nothing to complain so much (I am comparing this with my earlier Zen gear shifting whis was buttor smooth).

4. Driving Pleasure: I am enjoying it 100%. Absoulutly no complains.

5. Rattling sounds etc: Intially there were some rattling from the left side of dash. However, Mandovi Blr could fix it during the 1st service. After that, so far no issues.

6. EPS / moving side-ways etc: After seeing this thread, tried this myself, but could not see any issues. Out of 4-5 times when I took my hands off the wheel, only once I saw the tendency to move sideways. I would discount that.

7. Foul smell: Don't have this issue. I do not roll-down the window, nor I smoke. Car inside is as clean as the time of delivery. AC is also kept in the re-circulation mode only. May be that is the reason I don't face this problem.

In fact I cannot really put down any major defects or issues with my Sx4. In the last 6 months, I cannot recollect a single momement of regret for choosing this car. I selected Sx4 over all other models for the following reasons:

- Value for money.. To me, quality beyond the need is a waste. To me, as long as the car & all its parts (including the plastic etc..) maintain its quality, durability and reliability for 6-7 years (that is the duration I would keep a car), that is good enough for me.. Imported leather, high quality plastics etc are all nice to have features only.
- Service network & cost of maintenance: Maruti beats every one in this aspect.
- Brand acceptability at the time of selling: Here too I will rate maruti higher.

Irrespective of the brand, make etc.. unfortunate things happens. I think we should not generalise things based on 5 or 10 cases. However, Maruti should take customer complaints very seriously. I agree to that point 100%. I am sure Maruti must have sold 1000s of Sx4 so far.. By and large, I would assume Sx4 owners are happy. Otherwise how can they maintain the sales? Since I have not taken the car for a long drive, I know I haven't judged the car fully. I am planning for a long trip in Feb, so hopefully I will continue to praise Sx4 even after the planned trip.

Regards
Vinay
Old 31st January 2008, 11:09   #101
BHPian

Sending my SX4 ZXi to 1st service on 02/02/2008. Asked the Service Center guy to pickup and drop the car (Warned..! Not to rash drive..!). They mentioned ~ 800 Rs will be the charge for 1st Service. I used to have problem in Reverse Gear Shift and 2nd Gear Shift. Hope they will correct it during 1st service. Except those, I don’t have any complaints so far, Odo clocked ~870 KMs. Do I need to mention any thing specific during the 1st service? SX4 Owners please suggest.
Old 31st January 2008, 15:43   #102
Senior - BHPian

Took the car to S.K.Wheels today. Maruti service engineer drove the car and says it's normal of EPS systems. We took the showroom demo car on the same stretch of road and it behaved exactly the same way!

I really don't know what to do. I am not convinced that this should be normal. Till now I have driven 2 Wagon R's 1 Zen Estilo and 1 SX4 apart from my car and all of them have exhibited exactly the same behavior as my car.

Status at the moment is that Maruti says thats how EPS systems are , I am holding the line that just because 5 cars pull to the right doesn't mean it's normal. Only way out is to drive the NHC and see if it has the same issues.

What 's your take on this guys? Is it normal of EPS to do this? Am I making too much of an issue about this?
Old 31st January 2008, 19:04   #103
Senior - BHPian

Well, after reading your post, I tried leaving the steering of my WagonR on the road near my house, and it did not pull either way. Of course, this was only for about 50 feet or so, and I had to abort due to a turning.
Will give it a try this Sunday on a longer stretch.
Old 31st January 2008, 19:27   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well, after reading your post, I tried leaving the steering of my WagonR on the road near my house, and it did not pull either way. Of course, this was only for about 50 feet or so, and I had to abort due to a turning.
Will give it a try this Sunday on a longer stretch.
it means your wheels are properly aligned and balanced which you must have done recently. Check again after a 5K completion of the service, it will certainly pull to one side and is a sure shot indicator that another round of alignment and balancing is due
Old 31st January 2008, 19:39   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
it means your wheels are properly aligned and balanced which you must have done recently. Check again after a 5K completion of the service, it will certainly pull to one side and is a sure shot indicator that another round of alignment and balancing is due
Nope, I gave it for 40 K servicing last July, but wheel balancing and alignment was done way back in Aug, 2005, and the vehicle has travelled more than 6 K kms since then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks