Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 19:40   #106
BHPian

I found this info in the FAQ section of Hyundai India website, which I had read long back.

Most of the times, it is the banking of the roads which makes you feel the wheels are out of alignment. Make sure you use the most flat surface to test.

My car drifts to the left or to the right when I let go of the steering wheel on a straight and level road ?

First, check the air pressure in all your tyres, then try driving it again. If your car drifts to the right in the right lane and to the left in the left lane, it is probably normal. Most roads are banked to allow for water runoff. Make sure both front tyres are the same size, type and brand. If not, take both front tyres and switch them side-to-side. If the car now drifts in the opposite direction, you've found your problem. If the problem is still there, you should have the wheel alignment checked.
Old 31st January 2008, 22:46   #107
BHPian

I had the same problem in my old car. The car was pulling to right and the steering wheel looked not centered.

I did the wheel alignment and the problem is gone, steering also became straight.

Also when new tires are added or alignment done, it takes like 500KMs to get the tires settle.
Old 1st February 2008, 15:40   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Nope, I gave it for 40 K servicing last July, but wheel balancing and alignment was done way back in Aug, 2005, and the vehicle has travelled more than 6 K kms since then.
Vnabhi, not clear as to what your saying. Are you saying that your car hasn't been wheel balanced and aligned since Aug 2005? I find that hard to believe and how many kms you traveled since then?
Old 1st February 2008, 18:29   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Vnabhi, not clear as to what your saying. Are you saying that your car hasn't been wheel balanced and aligned since Aug 2005? I find that hard to believe and how many kms you traveled since then?
Sorry, it was a typo. The balancing was done in Aug 2006, but not in the subsequent service in 2007, perhaps because I had not covered more than 5 k or 6 k kms in the intervening period.
Old 1st February 2008, 19:00   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, it was a typo. The balancing was done in Aug 2006, but not in the subsequent service in 2007, perhaps because I had not covered more than 5 k or 6 k kms in the intervening period.
It makes sense now, which also translates to you traveling only 6k kms in the last 17 months ( from Aug 2006-till date)? Whereas, i have covered 20K kms during less than this period
Old 1st February 2008, 19:04   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It makes sense now, which also translates to you traveling only 6k kms in the last 17 months ( from Aug 2006-till date)? Whereas, i have covered 20K kms during less than this period
Well, I' ve been using the Fiesta more since March 2007---covered around 8 k kms on it. So the WagonR has gone to second place.
Old 2nd February 2008, 11:19   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, after reading your post, I tried leaving the steering of my WagonR on the road near my house, and it did not pull either way. Of course, this was only for about 50 feet or so, and I had to abort due to a turning.
Will give it a try this Sunday on a longer stretch.
vnabhi, When you drive your car the next time or on Sunday, please do the below two tests and update me.

1.) Take your wagon R on a concrete road and leave your steering. See if the car pulls to the right when it goes over the joints on the road. My SX4 does that and so did the demo SX4 of the showroom.

2.) Stop the car on the road. Slot it into first and let the car inch ahead very slowly and then stop again. Keep your hands off the steering while you do this. Imagine your in a traffic jam and you have to keep the car in first, leave the clutch, inch ahead and stop again. See if the steering automatically turns to the right. The car should also pull to the right at that moment.

Try and ensure that tyre pressure is at manufacturer's recommended level.
Old 5th February 2008, 12:58   #113
Senior - BHPian

I reduced tyre pressure to 28psi front and rear against Maruti's recommended 32psi and the car has started going straight much better and longer then it used to!

Last edited by amit : 5th February 2008 at 13:07.
Old 5th February 2008, 18:59   #114
BHPian

Was trying to call you last evening at around 8.30 - 9 pm or so. Could'nt get through somehow. Anyways, the reason for calling up was that I was driving my friend's Swift D and testing it for any of the symptoms that your SX4 displays. Have to say buddy, there was no problem at all. I left both my hands and started driving from a standstill, the car kept tracking straight. But it does'nt somehow give you the confidence to just leave the steering for long. You have to keep correcting the steering since even minor undulations on the road affect steering position considerably. I cannot comment about what tyre pressure though.
Old 6th February 2008, 11:20   #115
BHPian

What is the ratio of the car pulling below and above 40 kmph?
Is is equal or does it pull more below 40 kmph .
Ideally I was thinking that since EPS cuts off after 40 ( correct me if I am wrong) the car should pull less as the assistance is cut off and in turn so would be the sensivity of the steering input to road imperfections
Old 6th February 2008, 16:48   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
I was driving my friend's Swift D and testing it for any of the symptoms that your SX4 displays. Have to say buddy, there was no problem at all. I left both my hands and started driving from a standstill, the car kept tracking straight.
I think you should drive my car just so I get a unbiased opinion.

Quote:
But it does'nt somehow give you the confidence to just leave the steering for long. You have to keep correcting the steering since even minor undulations on the road affect steering position considerably. I cannot comment about what tyre pressure though.
I agree with that but I think thats a characterstic of EPS systems.

By the way, the Maruti service engineer also got the alignment done on my car when it was at S.K.Wheels and they did find some settings awry but then the car has done about 6500kms so I wouldn't pin down the pulling to alignment. Still, I have to say, the car feels much better to drive after the alignment was done. The reduction of air pressure to 28psi only helped it more. But I wonder why the car drives better with air pressure lower then manufacturer recommended level?
Old 7th February 2008, 09:13   #117
BHPian

Anyway, you can't fill 28psi always - may be just to test EPS.
Old 7th February 2008, 10:30   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The reduction of air pressure to 28psi only helped it more. But I wonder why the car drives better with air pressure lower then manufacturer recommended level?
Any car's steering gets stiffer with lower air pressure. This could be the case with your car too.
Old 7th February 2008, 11:57   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Anyway, you can't fill 28psi always - may be just to test EPS.
Why can't I fill 28psi always?
Old 7th February 2008, 12:13   #120
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
By the way, the Maruti service engineer also got the alignment done on my car when it was at S.K.Wheels and they did find some settings awry but then the car has done about 6500kms so I wouldn't pin down the pulling to alignment. Still, I have to say, the car feels much better to drive after the alignment was done. The reduction of air pressure to 28psi only helped it more. But I wonder why the car drives better with air pressure lower then manufacturer recommended level?

There has been another SX4 delivered with a bad alignment problem in Bangalore. Hopefully they'll atleast resolve the issue sooner.

Looks like this is an issue with delivery.

VBV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks