Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2007, 18:05   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Should I just buy the oil and filter and get it done at any other authorised service station? Gurus/bhpians in Gurgaon, do advice.
I am sure GD Bhai & Suman ji would be able to help you out, as they stay in Gurgaon and Own Safari's - PM them for help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/suman.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/gd1418.html

I do not own a Diesel but I am sure 15000 Kms mark is way too much for Oil / Filter Change.

Last edited by vkochar : 22nd November 2007 at 18:12.
Old 22nd November 2007, 18:45   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The beast returned a fuel economy of 14.65 with loads of traffic at Panipat and Amritsar. Though I am a little dis-satisfied with the economy as I was expecting something closer to 16+ any anyways.
Harjeev

This is a 2 tonne truck, not a Maruti 800. I think your mileage figures are excellent considering the fact that you're still running the engine in.

Just for comparison, I travelled from B'lore to Cochin with some excursions off the regular route yesterday. I filled up at Shell in B'lore and have travelled 600 kms till now, the vehicle is yet to go into reserve so I'm assuming a fuel average of about 11-12 kmpl. Compared to that your 14.65 is pretty good.

And remember its diesel - you're paying less anyway.
Old 22nd November 2007, 20:34   #153
Senior - BHPian

The truck is yours and bought out of hard earned money. You love it and it is going to give you long years of service whilst taking all the abuse that you subject it to while driving.

Get the oil changed. No harm, only will do good to your engine innards. Go for Mobil Delvac MX Multigrade or Chevron Delo 400.

I've owned vehicles for donkey's years to know what is best. So, I maintain my own schedule of service. Before using Mobil, I used to service my vehicle every 5000 Kms with oil & oil filter change, Diesel filter change, gear, steering, clutch, brake & differential oil top-up, coolant top-up, air filter clean, nut-bolts tighten, fan belt check etc.

Every 10 K the gear & Diff oil was replaced, and tyres rotated. So on so forth. After I've started using Mobil, I've started doing it at every 7.5K.

Quote:
Hi
gd1418
Do you still think that I should get the engine oil changed as I got it changed about 900 KMS (odo reading)
If yes what brand should I go in for?

Regarding the above. Every 7.5K kms
Should it be just the oil/ oil filter change or the complete service.
If the complete service what all should I need to change/ cleen/ look for in these services
Old 22nd November 2007, 20:37   #154
Senior - BHPian

I don't go to AScs hence can't comment on their efficiency or honesty. If you have no qualms visiting a local garage then I can suggest you one.

And 15K mark is a bit way too much for oil / filter change.. 7000 Kms at the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I am sure GD Bhai & Suman ji would be able to help you out, as they stay in Gurgaon and Own Safari's - PM them for help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/suman.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/gd1418.html

I do not own a Diesel but I am sure 15000 Kms mark is way too much for Oil / Filter Change.
Old 22nd November 2007, 20:40   #155
Senior - BHPian

Ist service at 1300 kms and oil/filter not changed? Too bad. It should have been done. This was the run-in period where the engine settles down. Fine metal shavings etc. are collected in the oil. It should be removed pronto and fresh oil put.

Quote:
I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I got my 1st service done at 1300 km at Dhingra's. The did not change the engine oil and filter. On team-bhp I got to know one must change it. I called them back & spoke to 3 differnt guys. Each say that as per the instructions received from Tata Motors the engine oil change will happen only at 15,000 km??? But the service booklet says that it needs to be done at 1200-1500 km.

Why would Dhingra's avoid it when the others are changing it? Can some please help here.

Should I just buy the oil and filter and get it done at any other authorised service station? Gurus/bhpians in Gurgaon, do advice.
Old 22nd November 2007, 21:29   #156
BHPian

Hi GD1418,

Am a bit curious if the same thumb-rule also applies to the 1st service for an Indica Turbo. I dont mean to take this off-topic, but since you have had your years of experience on this matter, i just want to verify the same.

The next service schedule as per the Indica Turbo manual is only at 10K kms and as you say, i have this hunch that that might be a bit too late.

Your advice will certainly help.

Cheers

quote=gd1418;635101]Ist service at 1300 kms and oil/filter not changed? Too bad. It should have been done. This was the run-in period where the engine settles down. Fine metal shavings etc. are collected in the oil. It should be removed pronto and fresh oil put.[/quote]
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:33   #157
BHPian

2.2 lt VTT Safari

Hi Guiys,

I bought it as soon as it came out, so the car in my lot had a issue with the Power steering pipe and the starter. They both were retro-fitted by Tata for free. and other Than that I own a EX model, done around 4K and have not experienced no issues. The suspensuion i should admit is better than 75% of the foreign cars in India. It just floats on the potholes and the power is amazing, I am saying this as I earlier had a Scorpio CRDE and have civic and Honda CRV(new) too. But comparing to Endeavour where is i would compare this beast it is awesome, the only glitch is Tata always wants to save money on cheapy plastics. Otherwise its a dreamdrive.

Also, always use turbo diesel or extramile and please atleast once a day give 3/4 th throttle i.e. around 4500 RPM to clear the Catalytic from any carbon deposits and believe it will really benefit you in the long run. Dont go for the Bahrdahl products TATA sells in their showrooms for engine performance, Instead put STP Deisel Engine gaurd and STP injectors cleaner, they are a little expensive but worth it.

Last edited by moodswings : 22nd November 2007 at 22:37. Reason: add
Old 22nd November 2007, 23:45   #158
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me where can I get these STP Diesel Engine guard and STP injectors cleaner in Pune......
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:09   #159
Team-BHP Support

Put clean diesel without kerosene and you do not need STP or Barhadl etc.,
However if you are burnt by adulterated diesel, you need to put some degumming agent or something once in a while.
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:19   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I think this is wrong & dangerous. I remember reading / watching somewhere that you should ALWAYS shut the car's engine off and then fill it up.

I am not a technical person so I do not know but just something I take precaution in.

BTW Harjeev - How much was the Safari OTR Delhi Cost you ? Any Freebies / Discounts ?
The safari OTR cost me 939000 4X2 EX.
I did not get any freebies disc etc. As wen I booked the car it was on waiting.
Now I have read somewhere on the forum that they are giving free footmats, mud flaps and some of the dealers are even throwing in free extended warranty. Try to get the best deal there is!

Quote:
I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I got my 1st service done at 1300 km at Dhingra's. The did not change the engine oil and filter. On team-bhp I got to know one must change it. I called them back & spoke to 3 differnt guys. Each say that as per the instructions received from Tata Motors the engine oil change will happen only at 15,000 km??? But the service booklet says that it needs to be done at 1200-1500 km.

Why would Dhingra's avoid it when the others are changing it? Can some please help here.

The comapny does not change the engine oil free but I did that as a personal choice. Maybe you could do it too as it really helps the engine preform better
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:33   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The safari OTR cost me 939000 4X2 EX.
Hmm... That is quite a tempting Price - Also I assume, you have it reg. in Delhi , If one gets it registered in Haryana ( Gurgaon ) - I guess it going to be another 40k or so cheaper !! Right ?

Yeah, No one in Agra also is giving any disounts except the usual free stuff worth 2 - 3 k.

Apparently it has really started selling so well here that they do not even have a display / TD vehicle also with them.
Old 26th November 2007, 21:23   #162
adc
Senior - BHPian

Well I got a call from the TATA Service Centre saying that they will have to retrofit the starter motor solenoid and the power steering hose.

I also went for a voluntary engine oil, but as usual the service people [looks like all over in India] are totally ignorant of the new engine oil specification. They are just filling up API-CF whereas the 2.2 manual clearly says to use a minimum of API-CH4 + MB228.3 or higher grade.

I insisted on seeing the specification and as usual they had the API-CF and they said that is what they are using in all 2.2.

Seeing that the service persons only came to know about this from me and that they were totally ignorant of the new specification, as such told them specifically not to change the engine oil.

Just did the retro fittings and replaced the fuel tank lid, as sometimes it used to open by itself while going over uneven roads.

Will contact TATA motors via email and let see what they have to say about this - after all engine oil specification mismatch most probably is not a trivial issue.

One question, which brand of Castrol fits the API-CH4 + MB228.3 [Castrol GTD is API-CF] or which engine oil to use alongwith the brand.
Old 26th November 2007, 21:58   #163
Team-BHP Support

Castrol GTX diesel exceeds API-CH4. Its not GTD, Its called GTX Diesel
Old 26th November 2007, 22:23   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Castrol GTX diesel exceeds API-CH4. Its not GTD, Its called GTX Diesel
I think thats the best one around..

tsk1979:-> What are real life benefits of this grade oil. It aint clear from the website. Does it catch more soot and inhibit carbon deposits in engine
Old 27th November 2007, 00:49   #165
Team-BHP Support

It has to do with lubrication standards.
If your engine requires a particular grade oil, say API-CF4, you should never put a lower grade oil in the engine.
Modern diesels work under more stress(higher power and torque), and require better lubrication and tolerance to high heat etc.,
Using a lower grade oil than recommended can damage the engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks