Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2007, 20:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by obaidhakim View Post
Might be a really dumb question but thought id might as well ask

i have seen the tyres on the safari, do you think it "really" needs a change or an upgradation?

as in, i agree with the asthetic point of view, but practically is it really required? will it improve the drive quality noticibly? and is the loss of FE really worth it in addition to the initial expence.

More than a question please treat it as a request for advice, cus im expectimg my safari by the 13th Nov, i might go in for a tyre upgrade if you guys really recommend it.

Thanks in Advance.

No its not a dumb question.
But I am no expert on tyres.
You should also read this for all your queries on tyres
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/

and specifically Safari Tyres Read this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ari-tyres.html

The reason I changed my beast Tyres and Alloys as
The car handles better
I read that the stock tyres squeal alot Under hard braking and tight turns
They look better
Better road grip

But you would get better understanding once you read the above Threads/ Forums
Old 10th November 2007, 12:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hi! TBHPians!

Thanks to all the wonderful TD reports, Initial ownership reports, I could finally take the decision and have taken delivery of a Arctic Silver 4x2 EX 2.2 on the 7th from Concorde motors.

Stock car with Llumar sunfilm on the sides and back.

The car is driving well, and moving from a petrol lancer to a diesel SUV, am getting used to the driving position, the diesel engine dynamics and the handling!

Initial issues I faced with the car:

1) The Stereo System display did not work. Had to ask the dealer to change the Head Unit.

2) Plastic bits n pieces like the roof A/C knob, screw covers on the doors are missing.

3) Rear fog lamps switch needs a good whack to operate.

4) Most importantly, the fuel sediment warning light stayed on for 2 days of driving, and thereafter comes and goes once in a while, esp. when accelerating. Any advise on what could be the issue other than bad fuel ? Has anyone faced this ?

The dealer advised me to fill fuel from a Shell or HP turbojet. I filled a tankful from the indianoil outlet next to big bazar on hosur road.

5) There is some vibration on the left rear view mirror

6) The window lock switch does not work.

Has anyone experienced any issues with water leaking into the door seams, when washing ? Looks like this car definitely needs a 3M protectant treatment.

Will post my experience with driving once I have had the chance to drive it on some long stretches.

regards
sms
Old 10th November 2007, 16:02   #78
BHPian

ooh mama!issues.....issues.
my non-expert answers are in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi! TBHPians!

Thanks to all the wonderful TD reports, Initial ownership reports, I could finally take the decision and have taken delivery of a Arctic Silver 4x2 EX 2.2 on the 7th from Concorde motors.
Congrats!

The car is driving well, and moving from a petrol lancer to a diesel SUV, am getting used to the driving position, the diesel engine dynamics and the handling!

You'll get used to it and start loving it.

1) The Stereo System display did not work. Had to ask the dealer to change the Head Unit.
Has that been done?Make sure you get the warranty papers with the HU number for the replacement stereo from Mico.

2) Plastic bits n pieces like the roof A/C knob, screw covers on the doors are missing.
Didn't you notice this when you inspected the vehicle prior delivery?
I had a few plastic components (!) missing as well.Most of them were lying on the floor of the vehicle or between the seats.

This switch has a delay function.You need to keep the switch pressed for a few seconds.

4) Most importantly, the fuel sediment warning light stayed on for 2 days of driving, and thereafter comes and goes once in a while, esp. when accelerating. Any advise on what could be the issue other than bad fuel ? Has anyone faced this ?
Take it to TASS and have the sedimenter drained for water.If it still happens the sensor is kaput.
The dealer advised me to fill fuel from a Shell or HP turbojet. I filled a tankful from the indianoil outlet next to big bazar on hosur road.

It has a little pin head sized green lamp that glows when switched on.
Get it checked.

Has anyone experienced any issues with water leaking into the door seams, when washing ?
Check if the windows are rolled up properly.Usually water enters the car from the gap between improperly rolled up windows and the beading.

Looks like this car definitely needs a 3M protectant treatment.

Will post my experience with driving once I have had the chance to drive it on some long stretches.

regards
sms
Old 10th November 2007, 18:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

sms
I hope you know that you have to keep the switch pressed for about 3 seconds before it comes on!
Oops, just saw the kats reply!

Last edited by jyobeb : 10th November 2007 at 18:09.
Old 10th November 2007, 19:48   #80
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on taking possession of your beast. Its great and you'll love every moment of taming it. I have mine for 10 days now and already driven for 700 KMS. Thats all city driving.
My answers in bold

Quote:
Hi! TBHPians!

Dint have any issues. Infact thought of changing the speakers before taking delivery, but after delivery decided to keep it. (not much of a music person)

yeah the roof AC knob is a little loose but dosent bother me. Would tell them to fix in the 1st service.
No issues with the screw covers.
Same as others have said. It has a delay function. I too didn't know at first. Read it in the manual.

Nope. Though I had another harrowing experience on the first day
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post614266
I fed the beast only once from Indian Oil (Premium Diesel).
Yeah I too have had some vibrations but not the same. Vibrations are bound to be there if the car is driven in high gear at low speeds. And after all its diesel and then from Tata Motors. So I am reconciled to the idea and now know that you cannot compare it to other sedans available. At the same time theres no other car or SUV that can beat a Safari in its comfort, Road Presence, Snobbish Value. I say its Value For Money

The window child lock is for only the rear windows. The front left & right are not locked with the Window Lock on the drivers side panel.

Has anyone experienced any issues with water leaking into the door seams, when washing ? Looks like this car definitely needs a 3M protectant treatment.
Not experienced any leakage of any kind. Infact it rained in Delhi a day before Diwali and I was on the road at that time. No issues of any kind.

regards
sms
Another important thing that I read in the manual is that as we should let the vehicle idle for about 30 seconds before stopping the ignition (It helps to lubricate the turbo charger or something). I have told the drivers to let it idle for about 10 minutes in the morning every day. So whenever I have to drive i just let it idle for about a minute or two and then drive off. And now make sure to let it idle it for 30 secs before shutting off.
Old 10th November 2007, 22:22   #81
Team-BHP Support

you have to idle for 30 seconds atleast when you start the engine. So no need to idle for 10 minutes in the morning. Just idle for 1 minute before starting off.
This idling is more important when you switch off the engine, especially after a hard run.
Old 12th November 2007, 00:46   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats on the possession of the beast.
Now as you are going out of station do you need someone to take care of the beast while you are away. I would be happy to report for duty SIR
Thanks for the care. I am back in town now.

As soon I entered home I took the beast for a spin. and then for accessory installation.

Here are some initial observation.

- Whinning sound when pressing accelerator initially (Anybody facing the same issue?)
- Some amount of reverberation at abt 1800 rpm or so.
- Nice to drive in the city. Didn't had any problems except taking U turns in heavy traffic.
- Great pickup I would say.
- Great stability. (Didn't had a chance to go beyond 100)
- Facing problem in reversing the car. (Planning to get rear view camera)
- AND TUBELESS TYRES (I was surprised, SInce when I went for TD the LX had TUbe type tyres, Even the brochure confirms this). Is TATA meherbaan on me.

Now the deal at the dealer end.

As promised by the dealer got the Extended warranty waived off + Foot mat and Mud Flap
- Went for the teflon and underbody paint (Cost Rs 6600)
- Remote central Locking Rs 4500
- Car body cover Rs 1000. (I needed this as I was going OOT)

Some More accessories (AfterMarket fitment)
- JVC KD AVX2 HU (DVD, DIVX, Reverse camera compatible, MP3 etc etc)
JVC Mobile In-Car Entertainment, Extreme ICE, Car Audio Stereo Systems, In-Car DVD, Car Hi Fi Amps & Speakers

- JBL 5.5 " speakers at the front.(30 Watt)
- Pioneer 6*9 oval at the rear (460 Watt) In the box
- Elegant seat covers
- Gear Lock

Still to be fitted
- Front and rear nudge guard
- Fog Lamp
- Reverse Camera
- Film

So this dIwaali I have reclaimed my Life.... I m loving it.
Old 12th November 2007, 09:50   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
- AND TUBELESS TYRES (I was surprised, SInce when I went for TD the LX had TUbe type tyres, Even the brochure confirms this). Is TATA meherbaan on me.

So this dIwaali I have reclaimed my Life.... I m loving it.

Congrats Abbey and welcome to the safari club

u surely are lucky as TATA doesnt give tubeless tyres on Safari LX,but u shdnt mind that at all

Enjoy the ride and drive safe.

keep posting reports and post some exterior+interior pics
Old 12th November 2007, 10:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

Every day I do a comparison between LX and EX to decide which one should I go. LX is good on my budget. But EX has many more things.

Now then only thing which I am worried about is Rear Defogger. I doubt if that can be fitted later. Dealer say simple no to after fitting. And I had tough time in my indica with no defogger, 5 people inside car, and very low outside temp.

Lx owners, what do you say about it.
Old 12th November 2007, 10:52   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Lx owners, what do you say about it.

Rear Defogger is gud but its not something that wud prompt me to spend extra 1 Lakh same is what i thot of Rear AC when i bought my beast(3.0 LX)

cos most of time i drive alone or with a frnd when going out.

so these things(rear ac) were never required.

what i want to say here is Please compare the features LX vs EX and think clearly as to whether you need those features,will you use those things always.

Then make a decision

and in case when outside temp is cold and inside is hot then u always have to do lot of things like switching on AC,opening a window slightly etc etc

rear defogger wont save u all the trouble.

and Safari has very big side view mirrors and they actually are more handy than the cramped rear view seen from rear view mirror.

so my personal belief is that LX is the VFM choice and if somebody wants to go for EX then they shd go for EX 4x4 not the 4x2.

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 12th November 2007 at 10:56.
Old 12th November 2007, 11:59   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Then make a decision
Thanks sunny, as obvious I have been looking at the extra features that you get in EX and only one I am missing alot is rear defogger.

Now if you say that the beast is very much doable without it, I am happy.

Just did a comparison few days back:

Old 12th November 2007, 13:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

You have to look at your budget and then do a cost benefit analysis based on what you need and will need to spend out for it.

The Immobilizer and Adjustable seats itself are good enough reasons to go for EX (IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Thanks sunny, as obvious I have been looking at the extra features that you get in EX and only one I am missing alot is rear defogger.

Now if you say that the beast is very much doable without it, I am happy.

Just did a comparison few days back:
Old 12th November 2007, 13:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

The split AC for the rear is another thing for which the EX is worth going for.
Additionally I think that the factory fit & finish cannot be provided for in the after market fitments.
Old 12th November 2007, 13:37   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The split AC for the rear is another thing for which the EX is worth going for.
Additionally I think that the factory fit & finish cannot be provided for in the after market fitments.
harjeev, AC on top, is it a separate AC unit or, just a vent from existing unit?
Old 12th November 2007, 13:39   #90
Team-BHP Support

The roof AC has separate cooling coils, its not just a vent.
if you really wanted to make your LX an EX it would cost around 75K for a well done job. If you buy from Tata an EX you pay 1L more I guess.

Most Viewed