Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 16:36   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
I noticed that some of the photos were taken at the petrol bunk / fuel station. Cell / mobile phone usage is banned at these places due to the potential for dangerous fire / explosion accidents. I am sure even digital cameras pose this hazard and should be avoided. Awaiting members / moderators comments.

There is no problem when you keep the cellphone idle..(No calls made or recieved). Basically the connection when established during the call pose some hazards. The cellphone usage are banned, not the cellphone itself.

Does anybody switch the phone off when entering a petrol pump...I believe NO. They just don't make any calls
Old 15th November 2007, 17:19   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Cell / mobile phone usage is banned at these places due to the potential for dangerous fire / explosion accidents. I am sure even digital cameras pose this hazard and should be avoided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Mobile phones do not pose any hazard. Its a myth.

Right. This was tested sometime back on the TV series "Mythbusters" and proved to be a myth.
Old 15th November 2007, 20:20   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Issues reported my me are as follows
1. Fog Lamp Alignment
2. Creaking sound from the spring of the clutch
3. Weak Breaks (under hard breaking) under normal city conditions the breaks are perfect. To this I was told that the breaks are to be applied in the pump fashion. Secondly he told me that yesterday also they received a safari with the same complaint.
4. Door adjustments (RHS front and rear) Have to close with force
5. Car switches of with a shudder (jhatka) this problem has started coming since yesterday
6. Indicator lever and steering adjustment (steering not fully center)
7. Hissing when the steering is fully turned to either the left or right. Though I believe that this is a problem with all Safari's
These are all standard features offered by Tatas on LX, EX and VX
Old 15th November 2007, 22:19   #124
Senior - BHPian

Got my beast back from service. The car was ready 1 hour before the scheduled time.

The car is running a lot smoother after the service.

Quote:

Issues reported my me are as follows
1. Fog Lamp Alignment
2. Creaking sound from the spring of the clutch
3. Weak Breaks (under hard breaking) under normal city conditions the breaks are perfect. To this I was old that the breaks are to be applied in the pump fashion. Secondly he told me that yesterday also they received a safari with the same complaint.
4. Door adjustments (RHS front and rear) Have to close with force
5. Car switches of with a shudder (jhatka) this problem has started coming since yesterday
6. Indicator lever and steering adjustment (steering not fully center)
7. Hissing when the steering is fully turned to either the left or right. Though I believe that this is a problem with all Safari's
1. Fog light not properly aligned. Will have to go again as by the time I reached the electrical had already left.

2. Creaking sound in the clutch rectified

3. Break Shoes were taken out cleaned and put back. Now they are a little better, but still not as good as I would have liked

4. Doors are now working perfectly

5. It is still there, but the service engineer allowed me to sit in two 3.0's start it . They shudder much more than 2.2. He says that being a diesel its bound to be there. But its much less when compared to the 3.0

6. Indicator lever now works perfectly. Even the steering is now fully center. Just like I wanted it.

7. Steering still hisses. The service engineer says it will be there. I think that this is one of a typical Tata trademarks.

Regarding the cost

Total Bill 6218.33 against an estimate of 6000.
Details as under

Underbody treatment 2500
Engine Waxing DINTROL (FUEL ADDITIVE) 312 va0380
Engine Waxing DINTROL (CAR FITMENT)360 (P)
va0380
Washing & Vacuuming 0.00
Engine Waxing WURTH (ENGINE FLUSHING OIL) 675 va0370
CLEAN CATALYTIC CONVERTER 100
GTD 15W40 DIESEL ENGINE OIL CASTROL 1057.50
ASSEMBLY OIL FILTER 161.53
ASSY REAR FOGLAMP & REFLEX FILTER 296

Vat+ service tax + etc 756

I don't understand the items in bold italic . Please advise. They have given me a bottle of some fuel additive and advised to put it in the car when I fill her up from any fuel outlet in Punjab. If in a small city. I will update the MRP and the name of the fuel additive tomorrow. I have written their code/ part nos in italic.

Overall service quality is 8/10
Executive explained all the job carried out when I took the delivery
Further as I told him that I was to go out of station next day he asked me not to drive over 100Km/hr till 1500KMs and after that I should drive normally.
He also told me to get the car to the workshop after the trip and he would wash and vacuum it free of cost and would rectify niggles if any.

"Mods please update subject line with
1st service done 900 kms"
Old 15th November 2007, 22:57   #125
Team-BHP Support

Harjeev, what is the minimum specification engine oil the 2.2 needs? The Castrol GTD is API-CF I think. I remember reading somewhere that 2.2 needs minimum API-CH
Old 16th November 2007, 07:49   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Harjeev, what is the minimum specification engine oil the 2.2 needs? The Castrol GTD is API-CF I think. I remember reading somewhere that 2.2 needs minimum API-CH
How can the dealer put in wrong grade engine oil ??

TSK1979::Absolutely correct.. Its even mentioned in the service mannual Harjeev has uploaded. Its supposed to be API-CH4 grade oil & above for 2.2 and its API-CF4 & above for 3.0 ltr dicor engine.

Harjeev get clarification as soon as you can from dealer and show them the mannual and get them to put in AP-CH4 grade oil for ur new 2.2
Old 16th November 2007, 09:14   #127
Senior - BHPian

Flush Oil , for what, its too too early for engine flush, boss ask them why flushing now

Quote:
Underbody treatment 2500
Engine Waxing DINTROL (FUEL ADDITIVE) 312 va0380
Engine Waxing DINTROL (CAR FITMENT)360 (P)
va0380
Washing & Vacuuming 0.00
CLEAN CATALYTIC CONVERTER 100
GTD 15W40 DIESEL ENGINE OIL CASTROL 1057.50
ASSEMBLY OIL FILTER 161.53
ASSY REAR FOGLAMP & REFLEX FILTER 296

Vat+ service tax + etc 756
Old 16th November 2007, 11:35   #128
Team-BHP Support

100rs for CAT converter cleaning?? The labor is supposed to be free for free service. This service center is ripping you off.
when I went to Automobile sterling for the first time, they tried to offer me all useless treatments, which are not really needed until 25K+ or so.
All these involved were adding additives in oil etc., and silly stuff, which could be had from outside for half the price.
I am seriously wondering how can a dealership sell a third party lube above MRP?
Old 16th November 2007, 12:45   #129

sound while taking sharp turn.

Hi ,

Any of you noticed a sound (as if a nut is pulled out from its thread ripping apart the thread) while taking sharp turns, i was told that it happens in all Safari's ? .

They showed me two nuts which kind of limits the max steering movement, iam not convinced as i think that time i didnt turn the max.It was in the parking lot with speed around 20/30 km/hr.

Also i did not see any metal rubbing mark's in the nut.
Old 18th November 2007, 13:09   #130
Senior - BHPian

hey guys
I am off on the road trip and the car is great. would post my experiences when I come back to delhi.
No problem whatsoever and the acceleration in the 3/4th gears is simply amazing.

Plus the road presence that this beast gives you is not explainable in words.

Already driven for 600 km till now.
Old 18th November 2007, 20:07   #131
Senior - BHPian

Add A-One Motors of Delhi to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I think we should create one here. Right here, right now. New thread - "Avoid these Tata Motors Dealers"

If it means all of them are avoidable, so be it. Somebody should get the message.

My contribution - Koyenco in Kerala.
All DICORS come with the same set of wiring harness. Why I'm saying this is that the LX also has the connections for the rear defogger except that the glass doesn't have those wires. The dealer won't do after fitting since he won't get any money for that; I mean substantial amount.

Instead what you can do is to go to Windshield express and ask them if they would take this glass and instead install a glass with rear defogger wires. I think they should be able to do this. If they do, then you will get a rear-defogger for a very nominal cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Every day I do a comparison between LX and EX to decide which one should I go. LX is good on my budget. But EX has many more things.

Now then only thing which I am worried about is Rear Defogger. I doubt if that can be fitted later. Dealer say simple no to after fitting. And I had tough time in my indica with no defogger, 5 people inside car, and very low outside temp.

Lx owners, what do you say about it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th November 2007 at 21:29.
Old 18th November 2007, 20:32   #132
Senior - BHPian

Get the engine oil changed at 2K and it will do really good to the engine. The run-in period would have been over and the metal shavings etc. would get drained off. Get the oil filter to changed. The engine would settle down. Ask the dealer if you can put Mobil Delvac MX Mutigrade without having any issues with the warranty. I think Mobil is on the approved list of Tatas.

If the delaer agrees, you'll get Mobil for about the same rate. You will feel a world of difference with this oil. Irrespective of what the manual says, maintain the service schedule that included oil change at every 7.5K kms.

You'll have long years of trouble free service from your truck.

Quote:
Even I have read in the manual that in the first service they do not change the oil, just top it up . I specifically requested for an oil change (as they do not provide one free). The engineer said that it would really do alot of good to the engine if I get the oil changed.
Approx cost of 6.4ltrs of oil 900-1000.

I asked him what all they do in the first service.
He said that they tighten all the doors, rear door, re-tune the engine, top-up the various lubricants & some other activities.

Update on FUEL Economy

Filled up the tank yesterday and the beast returned a fuel economy of 11.43.
My responses are in bold..

Quote:
Just came back after giving my beast for service. Run for 900 KMS. Though the service is not due but going for a road trip and the car would run for approx 1000 kms during the trip

Requested the following jobs

All costs are estimate

Fuel additive (1350)
They have just added the fuel additive which costs 1350.

Total rubbish and absolutely not required. The dealer con job has started..!

Yes the power steering emits a hissing sound in my '98 TCIC safari too. Found that noise in a lot of other Safaris as well. So no sweat..:-)
I'm surprised, why engine flush was used at 900-1000 Kms.

Quote:
Got my beast back from service. The car was ready 1 hour before the scheduled time.

The car is running a lot smoother after the service.

"Mods please update subject line with
1st service done 900 kms"

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th November 2007 at 21:29.
Old 19th November 2007, 22:39   #133

Hello everyone ia m new to this s ite but am very happy to find it ..juast planning to buy the 2.2 vtt lx model of "ThE Giant" ..so some small queries:

1.My use is less than 500kms per month or even lessso shall i go in for Safari or some other like Sx4 sort.
2.Is the Safari's service good in Delhi or not.
3.What all r the needful action i must take before i take the delivery of this Giant like PDI process (by the way what does PDI mean)
4.Is it worth taking the risk to buy this car with maintenance problems n breaks down seemingly quite apparent with it.

Previously i have been using Palio n must say am a proud n satisfied customer of this car (Tata's r the one's who r providing me the service of this car).Thanks n Cheers!!
Old 20th November 2007, 00:42   #134

PDI=Pre Delivery Inspection??
Old 20th November 2007, 13:48   #135
Senior - BHPian

Fuel Sediment Filter warning comes on after a tank up

Guys,

I saw the fuel sediment filter warning come on, the day i took delivery and filled a tank full ( 65 ltrs ) at an indian oil outlet on Hosur Road, Bangalore.

The dealer said that the fuel is adulterated and draining the sediment filter apparently solved the problem.

Yesterday filled a tank full at the Shell outlet on Lavelle Road/Vittal Mallaya road on the dealer's recommendation, and have started to see the sediment filter warning again.

1) Do I need to drain the tank and clean ?
2) Will using System -D prevent this ?
3) Does the filter need cleaning or replacement other than draining it.

Surprisingly the engine idling speed increases with the sediment filter on, and the vehicle acclerates even when the accelerator / clutch are not pressed. Limp mode effect ?

Other than these small niggles, the car is fun to drive, engine settling down with 600km on the odo. I'm loving it!

Most Viewed