Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
2. Another thing I find a little odd is that even when the beast is switched off and the car is locked, the radiator fan keeps running switches off after a good 3-5 minutes. this is after coming from a drive and the engine is hot.
3. The Temp Gauge always remains between half and 3/4th levels. Is this normal as my accent used to always remain at 1/2 levels
Sorry for the long post but no one else to ask
2. yes, its odd but fan runs even after car is switched off because 2.2L runs hotter than 3.0L
3. i've never seen my DICOR temp needle move past from position as shown in pic

Old 2nd November 2007, 12:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

hey guys thanks to simply_sunny001, tsk1979, trance_nut, rkbharat, abbey4u, suman, adc, rajismine, babureddy, vkochar, overdose14 for your good wishes and support. After reading all your comments I am now breathing much more easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
hi Harjeev
and please write text in small paragraphs using lot of spaces in order to make it more easily readable and interest provoking.
I have taken note to post short posts in future but you will have to excuse this one as I have answer to many
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I hope you have taken extended warranty also.
regarding your questions

3. On the 3.0 it stays slightly above the 1/2 mark. Does your AC work if car is cool? It could be overheating, or the sensor may be faulty. Infact that could be the reason the engine is in limp more or something. Anyways I am speculating, only the TASS guys can tell.
Yes I have taken the extended warranty option
3. The AC is also not working. I mean it works for about 5 minutes then switches off the blower keeps running though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post

In the meanwhile I am also waiting for the delivery sometime next week, and going by your's experience I am really afraid now.(I don't like googly at all )
dont be afraid. As I said that i was expecting this but not on the 1st day. I am sure that your best will be perfect. Not to worry
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Hey, congrats for the 2.2.

2. The radiator fan after a somewhat medium to long drive do remain on for maybe max a minute or most probably around 20-30 secs, but definitely not 3-5 minutes.

3. The temp gauge is perfectly normal. It goes to the half mark after a short drive and stays there as long as you drive. Even during my recent 13.5 hrs drive from siliguri to calcutta, the temp mark was at the half mark, neither up or down.
its good to hear that even your 2.2's radiator fan keeps running when the car is switched off and locked. I also haven't timed it but its definitely longer than a minute or two. The temp gauge is also above the 1/2 way mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In this case its midway between half and 3/4 and AC is cutting off too(If my interpretation is correct).

I think 2.2 engine has some kind of limp home mode which restricts the engine temp when it overheats, thats what is happening here.
That is exactly where the temp gauge is

you are absolutely correct. I have read in the manual that there is a limp home mode on the safari 2.2.

now this is the development that has taken place since today morning

I received a call today morning from the GM Customer Service (dealer). He listened to me very patiently and then this is what he had to say
He said that there could be a couple of possibilities.

1st could be that the vehicle could have taken some air as the showroom people put very less diesel at the time of delivery. Cauz of this there sensor sensed air and has limited the RPM to 1700 RPM

2nd he said that maybe there could be an issue with the programming of the sensor or the control unit and that they would have to check those things. He further said that all things are registered on the control unit and he would have to attach a laptop to the car and then decide what would be the course of action

3rd is said the there could be a problem with the heat sensor and cauz of that the control unit switches of the AC and limits the RPM to 1700.

Anyways the gist is that only when they plug the laptop I would come to know the exact problem. will keep all of you guys posted on the same. I would be uploading the pics in a day or two after the initial hiccups are sorted out.
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:34   #18
BHPian

Harjeev, firstly congrates on your pocession man!!!. I am really sad to read your story, i know no one expect these kind of issues on first day itself. what kind of PDI they do. One thing I noted is that when GM says that they put very less deiesl while delivery, as far as my knowledge is concerned I think they put 5 ltr and one shd make sure they put in front of you.
Keep us updated.
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
2. yes, its odd but fan runs even after car is switched off because 2.2L runs hotter than 3.0L

Overdose, you are absolutely right. My 3.0 has the same behaviour.

sorry Harjeev, 2.2 seems to be a bad choice as I have posted in post 153 in Safari TD thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post

sorry Harjeev, 2.2 seems to be a bad choice as I have posted in post 153 in Safari TD thread
I have driven my 3.0 for more than 5 hours at a stretch at speeds above 110 and never found overheating issue
As I said before, 3.0 is fantastic engine, please go and grab whatever 3.0 is left with the dealers
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:51   #21
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Kudos to TATAs for screwing up a fantastic machine in the name of a new model
Thats totally incorrect as for me. I have subjected the 2.2 till now may be quite to the max in the first 2500 km, with all kinds of road and in all kinds of driving scenarios - it has passed the test, of course TILL NOW.

I will not guess what happens afterwards as that will be totally unsubstantiated and more of a loose talk. I had before once said that those you have the 3.0 they are losing nothing but if you need to have a new one, go for the 2.2 and I do not regret it for once.

So in that case your strong views about the 2.2 and making out a dooms day for 2.2 owners is totally baseless and uncalled for.
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, come on man, don't scare him! These are initial niggles, I'm sure they'll settle down. Don't dampen his enthusiasm
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:51   #23
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Hey, come on man, don't scare him! These are initial niggles, I'm sure they'll settle down. Don't dampen his enthusiasm

You dare not say that to me!!!
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:57   #24
BHPian

Hi Harjeev, Congrats buddy ! Dont worry about the issues, am sure everything would fall into place. Wish you a happy and safe motoring.. Like they say, one more down the line "reclaiming his life"
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Thats totally incorrect as for me. I have subjected the 2.2 till now may be quite to the max in the first 2500 km, with all kinds of road and in all kinds of driving scenarios - it has passed the test, of course TILL NOW.

I will not guess what happens afterwards as that will be totally unsubstantiated and more of a loose talk. I had before once said that those you have the 3.0 they are losing nothing but if you need to have a new one, go for the 2.2 and I do not regret it for once.

So in that case your strong views about the 2.2 and making out a dooms day for 2.2 owners is totally baseless and uncalled for.

the 3.0 is a capable truck but is a bit unrefined compared to the 2.2. I for one would not like to compare the 3.0 with the 2.2- view them as two variants of the same vehicle. no doubt, the 2.2 is a step forward for Tata. but this is a new engine and will take time to settle down- that does not make it a bad engine.

Am sure once the initial niggles are sorted, it will be one helluva machine.

O.T. cant think of ANY manufacturer that has launched a car in India that was JUST RIGHT from day one with no niggles, except, ahem, the maruti 800 in 1984
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:59   #26
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Though many may not agree with me, but as far as passenger vehicles from the TATA stable go, I prefer to wait at least for a year after the launch of a new product and them think of going for it.

During that time the product is extensively road tested by users and that feedback gives the company to improve & rectify the irritants & glitches.

2.0 TCIC was launched in '98 but the later models of 2000 + year perform better than the initial lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
the 3.0 is a capable truck but is a bit unrefined compared to the 2.2. I for one would not like to compare the 3.0 with the 2.2- view them as two variants of the same vehicle. no doubt, the 2.2 is a step forward for Tata. but this is a new engine and will take time to settle down- that does not make it a bad engine.

Am sure once the initial niggles are sorted, it will be one helluva machine.

O.T. cant think of ANY manufacturer that has launched a car in India that was JUST RIGHT from day one with no niggles, except, ahem, the maruti 800 in 1984

Waiting for the 1-2 years for any new vehicle is the best one can do, but then I was determined to have a Safari before going on this trip as I had enough of sitting beside a taxi driver and me just being a front/rear seat passenger in the tours. Well the 2.2 just about was released and the day I got, the next day I went out for the long drive.

If I could have waited, definitely I would have taken a 2.2 and not a 3.0 after maybe a year, but then I had to buy now - but till now there are no issues and everything is perfect.
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today at 14:30 after leaving the car parked for about 20 minutes returned to the most amazing 50 minutes with the beast as yet.

Had gone shopping and returned with bags in hand. Unlocked the car, opened the tail gate and put shopping in. Sat in the drivers seat and put the key in. The seat-belt beeper started to go and so fastened the seat belt. Then cranked the key and all the lights on the dash went off. Wow! only two days old and my first kick in the gut from TML.
Nope, turbanman had a total blackout after 2 days, as he mentions in his blog. It turned out to be a loose battery cable.

Although this is no consolation for Safari, but get in touch with the Regional managers, if they dont respond to you, let me know, I will provide you with contacts of some senior people involved in Safari product management, right in the heart of TATA motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
1. is that has this happened to anyone or I am the chosen one.
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

I agree with suman, these are the initial niggles and will go away, its kind of stress testing of components and getting replaced under warranty.

Also a review/TD of 2.2l has been published in Car India and autocarindia Nov issue, anyone wanting clarity on 2.2l engine please read it (before criticizing it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Old 2nd November 2007, 17:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post

Hmmmm Mine post 5K service moves to just near the middle mark and has never gone beyond the 1/2 mark even after the spirited runs in Pune.
It used to stay that way initially when I brought the beast.
Old 2nd November 2007, 17:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I agree with suman, these are the initial niggles and will go away, its kind of stress testing of components and getting replaced under warranty.
Dont at all worry atleast for 4 years..

It will take its own sweet time to settle down

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks