Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 16:47   #61
BHPian

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its that grinding noise, if you accelerate hard, you need to change gears fast, than anything.
Yeah, I try doing that all the time, wondering when this will stop and the Gear range for 1st and 2nd gear increase a little to make it more pleasurable to accelerate and change from 1st and 2nd.

Right now it feels like the 1st is meant to nudge those pesky rickshaws around at the Signals. hehe
Old 14th December 2007, 13:00   #62
BHPian

Should I go for a voluntary Oil Change?

Wanted to pose this Q to all the Safari GURUS present here, I dont know how much of it will change with regards to the 2.2VTT Dicor advise but anyways do you'll think I should go in for an Oil change at 5000Kms? Please advise!!

Just a small note while driving to work today noticed that the 2nd gear range has smoothened a bit and the HULK is gliding into and out of this gear with out the straining affect on the engine!! At 2473 kms done, my question- would there be a setting in the ECU that controls such rev or engine settings???? One can easily feel the difference. Excuse the ignorance in this sphere.

Last edited by JUDA : 14th December 2007 at 13:01.
Old 14th December 2007, 20:13   #63
BHPian

@juda
Follow your owner's manual.
They made the engine so they ought to know it better.
I have a 3.0 dicor,the first oil change on my truck was done at 10000km.
Old 14th December 2007, 21:17   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
@juda
A voluntary change wont hurt either.... which to me atleast should be done when the engine is relatively new.
Old 14th December 2007, 22:03   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
@juda
I fully agree with you. I wonder why do people do voluntary engine change at 1000kms! To get rid of metal shavings they say. If the 2.2 crdi has metal shavings in engine oil at 1000kms, then there is a very serious problem in the machining of the engine, and its going to go kaput soon.
Nowaways with modern machining techniques you don't even require at strict run in. Basic precautions do.
As for metal shavings, you have oil filter, they will do that job.
Moreover Tata dealers can't understand a sophisticated vehicle. So they are still putting in lower spec engine oil. Hopefully by 6 months they will start putting in the correct spec engine oil in the truck.
Old 15th December 2007, 13:25   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I fully agree with you. I wonder why do people do voluntary engine change at 1000kms! To get rid of metal shavings they say. If the 2.2 crdi has metal shavings in engine oil at 1000kms, then there is a very serious problem in the machining of the engine, and its going to go kaput soon.
Nowaways with modern machining techniques you don't even require at strict run in. Basic precautions do.
As for metal shavings, you have oil filter, they will do that job.
---------------------------------------------
I agree. Any Automobile manufacturer worth their salt will be washing the c'cases after machining and before engine assly. There are automatic machines which do that with a lot of help from modern chemicals.
All primary gears are shaved / ground / honed and then washed before engine assly.
Therefore metal shavings in engines are unheard of - in today's engines. Yes! we do get fine metal dust but these are taken care of by the oil filter.
Old 15th December 2007, 18:19   #67
Senior - BHPian

I always follow strict service schedule/ maintenance with manufacturers recommendation in their warranty period, they know the best and this has never let me down till today.
Old 16th December 2007, 01:38   #68

Safari LX

Finally today i decided to buy Safari LX,Artic White,I have got accessory quote from dealer..is it prices is ok?

ACC. DETAILS AS FOLLOWS.

LEATHER SEAT COVER - RS.25333/-
ALLOYS (6164 X 5) - RS.30820/-
SAFARI SUNFILM - RS.1049/-
FRONT GUARD - RS.10260/-

Painting charges for side cladding and front bumper will cost
Rs.14625/-(inclusive of tax).

waiting for reply...
Old 16th December 2007, 14:33   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisalmagnet View Post
Finally today i decided to buy Safari LX,Artic White,I have got accessory quote from dealer..is it prices is ok?

ACC. DETAILS AS FOLLOWS.

LEATHER SEAT COVER - RS.25333/-
ALLOYS (6164 X 5) - RS.30820/-
SAFARI SUNFILM - RS.1049/-
FRONT GUARD - RS.10260/-

Painting charges for side cladding and front bumper will cost
Rs.14625/-(inclusive of tax).

waiting for reply...
Faisal; Congratulations on your decision of getting one of the most amazing vehicle on Indian roads. Well, your above accessory choices look good however you are going to spend this on the LX why not go for the EX?. As you are already spending around 85K on the above the price difference here (Pune) between LX and EX is 1.20L why not go for the EX by chipping in 35K more. Even I had budgeted hard to get in the LX however then looking at the diff and the accessories cost (Which can be done on month on month basis later as per cash flow as regards the Alloys and leather seats and stuff.) I finally settled for the EX it is value for money. And you dont want the Dealer doing the cladding paint for you they use inferior paint and charge you exorbitant for it. Actual cost of painting these is not even 7-8K. So I guess you should re-evaluate and see if you can stretch the budget a little and get the EX.

Otherwise, the alloys seem a little expensive they should be around 24-26K unless you are going in for imported ones.

Else alls good, let us know about the experience.

CheerS! And welcome to the SAFARI life !!
Old 18th December 2007, 10:53   #70
BHPian

faisalmagnet,

i also have an opinion that you should go for EX. my initial budget was only 6.5lacs anyway stretched to 8lacs for LX but later i realized that for some more downpayment and little more emi would bring many goodies in EX.
Old 18th December 2007, 16:15   #71

Hi Juda,

Thats a nice thread on your new Safari VT 2.2. I had been to BU Bhandhari, Camp showroom last week and they said that delivery is 25 days and no discount and they never even turned up for a TD. Whom did you pick up your beast from ?
Old 18th December 2007, 16:37   #72
BHPian

I do not know about BU Bhandari, Camp showroom. I bought mine from BU Bhandari, Pashan. Please ask for Kapil.
Old 18th December 2007, 18:14   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrangan View Post
Hi Juda,

Thats a nice thread on your new Safari VT 2.2. I had been to BU Bhandhari, Camp showroom last week and they said that delivery is 25 days and no discount and they never even turned up for a TD. Whom did you pick up your beast from ?
Ranjit Dada

Check Pandit Auto as well.. they have far more better
Old 25th April 2008, 16:11   #74
BHPian

ITs been Long !!!! Calling Gurus!!

Hi All,

I has been a long time since I logged on to the Team, well the new website really rocks!!

Okay, I have an issue and the only place I wanted to check with some genuine responses was obvious, so here I am.

The Safari2.2 has done about 6300 Kms till date. Bought in November 07.

About 2 weeks back I was wanting to fill at my favourite fuel station and hence didnt bother about the Fuel gauge as it was about 2 milimeters aways from the "E". I went to Koreagaon park rashid khodadad -pump and the engine went out just upon entering the pump about 4 feet from the Nozzle. (LUCK)

I was out of Diesel! I cranked the engine 3-4 times but then had to give up. We pushed the car to the nozzle and filled it with 65 litres however it wouldnt start as the pressure was lost. The Pump fellow used the manual pump in the engine compartment and in 2 minutes it started.

Now I am feeling a increase in vibration 15%-20% and engine heating up quicker that before. I spoke to the Head of Avanthi Motors (TASC) and he said that it may be a problem. I am really nervous at this moment please advise.

I am planning to take the HULK there tommorow but dont know what to expect, any ideas, anybody experienced this? Please let me know what can be the worst scenario? :(

Regards,

JUDA
Old 25th April 2008, 16:28   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Hi All,

I has been a long time since I logged on to the Team, well the new website really rocks!!

Now I am feeling a increase in vibration 15%-20% and engine heating up quicker that before. I spoke to the Head of Avanthi Motors (TASC) and he said that it may be a problem. I am really nervous at this moment please advise.

I am planning to take the HULK there tommorow but dont know what to expect, any ideas, anybody experienced this? Please let me know what can be the worst scenario? :(

Regards,

JUDA
Welcome back.
Yes the new look rocks.

I think that there is still some air entraped in the fuel line. My conclusion is based on the presumption that the vibration was not there earlier and started after you filled up and manually primed the fuel line.

I suggest that you start the engine unscrew the plunger of the manual pump , prime the system till diesel spurts out, pump it a few more times and screw back the plunger. Check that the plunger is screwed on tightly. Loosely tightened plunger means that air again get sucked in.

Last edited by kingshukt : 25th April 2008 at 16:31.

Most Viewed