Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 19:03   #1
BHPian

New Tata Safari 2.2 VTT 4X2 EX Artic Silver HULK

Behold the Safari 2.2VTT is the new member of the family and Yes everybody loves it. When I say everybody it means, My 6month old Son, Parents, in-laws, colleagues, car wash guy.... everybody! And why not it is the BEAST.

Before I go further I thank all TEAM-BHP members who contributed with great discussions/posts on this new tata launch and I am proud to say that I based my buying decision totally on their discussion, debates and advise.

So here goes my Ownership report @ 600Kms already Cant get my hands off the wheels.

Delivery date: 07/11/07
Kms done when delivered: 115Kms (Dealers stockyard is 40kms outside the
city limits so the kms covered)

Pre-Delivery and Delivery experience.

1) Booked 2 weeks back. Got delivery early as got contacts in Tata Motors and I am a good person. Also knew when the car was Manufacturing - Date 04/11/2007
2) The SUV was delivered in immaculate condition.
3) Was given the demo by the sales guy. All features explained.Said don't do above 80kms before the 1st service.
4) Given the keys, a photo, puja and off we were.....

First Drives and the getting used to (I owned a Swift earlier)

Yes, as the sub head says "I owned a swift earlier" and hey it was like I changed apartments from the ground floor to the 1st floor or should I say the top floor in Car terms. Anyways the SUV was surprisingly very easy to handle on the first day except while getting it into the garage and out needs some practice and I have been at it since.

I am not going to get into the technical details of how the engine is and stuff and blah blah cause everybody here is well aware of the engine and its capabilities.

1st Week is Officially over today.

Just for the expressway experience went to lonavala on saturday - (small hill station between Mumbai and Pune) and believe me I really felt good sitting high and mighty on my commanding seating.

The 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are surely meant for the city and those small drags with unsuspecting co-drivers at signals. But the 4th and the 5th gears are expressway crazy gears.

I hit the expressway from pune already doing about 100kms, then went to 140kms and then didn't want to stress the engine beyond that all this at about 2000RPM. Did about 80-90-100 as consistent speed.

Gurus is this fine? Please advise if I have to strictly stay at or below 80 kms/hr?

Next day - Puneites wont believe this, took the beast on Sunday evening 6pm peak hour to Laxmi road....and it was no hassles except for those 2 wheelers who have an habit to ride real close to the rear without realizing the braking efficiency of the vehicle. A good drive, parked right next to Dagdushet Temple and it was like normal any other car as far as the size issues go.

Have been to couple of accessories shops lately but yet to decide on one in pune or should I go to mumbai. ?

At present I want to put the following items

1) Sun film.
2) Seat Covers - Art Leather preferred unless actual leather under 18K
3) Phillips Vision Plus head lamp bulbs (Non of the noted shops in pune have it having a hard time getting them in pune)

So thats that for now will keep you'll updated with Pics and experiences as I journey with this amazing SUV named the SILVER HULK.

CheerS!
Old 14th November 2007, 19:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats JUDA, good to know that everyone in your family is loving the ride.

Can you spell out the formula to know the manufacturing date or was it your contacts that worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Delivery date: 07/11/07
Kms done when delivered: 115Kms (Dealers stockyard is 40kms outside the
city limits so the kms covered)

Pre-Delivery and Delivery experience.

1) Booked 2 weeks back. Got delivery early as got contacts in Tata Motors and I am a good person. Also knew when the car was Manufacturing - Date 04/11/2007
Follow the instructions in the manual, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Gurus is this fine? Please advise if I have to strictly stay at or below 80 kms/hr?

Last edited by dadu : 14th November 2007 at 20:00.
Old 15th November 2007, 10:35   #3
BHPian

Juda, congrats on your new BEAST.

Quote:
Next day - Puneites wont believe this, took the beast on Sunday evening 6pm peak hour to Laxmi road....
. With the crowd and no. of 2 wheelers, I don't even take my getz down that road. Prefer to park nearby and take a rick.

Quote:
A good drive, parked right next to Dagdushet Temple and it was like normal any other car as far as the size issues go.
great to hear that the beast is manageable in Pune traffic. If you can navigate through Laxmi road, any doubts about ease of driving in the city are put to rest.
Old 15th November 2007, 10:49   #4
BHPian

Juda congratulations man. You are enjoying the beats, your post shos that. Please upload some pics.
Old 15th November 2007, 11:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...and I am a good person.
Good things happen to good people. Therefore the Safari. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 15th November 2007, 11:12   #6
BHPian

Dadu: Thanks. Well the formula is a relation in the Tata's who was present for at the birth of the beast and his team member supervised the production line, thats all I can put here.

Cypher: Thanks. Yes, before someone buys a Safari everybody says "it is
difficult to park", "where would you find parking on MG road ?" etc Even the family friends jump in by saying we cant drive our 2 wheelers with peace in Pune and all that but I surely proved them wrong. The thing with the beast is that it is visible and has presence, everyone on the road wants to be as far as possible from it so that works to our advantage and we get to shift gears without even honking. Also, when you are sitting high on the "watch tower" you even know that over enthusiastic cyclist who tries to do a balancing act on the right side of the road so you can gently veer off the beast away from him. As for rickshaws they know their place in the pecking order when the beast comes onto the road, so its all good.

Bruty: Thank you. Yes I am enjoying the beast and I cant still believe it that I bought it! The sheer thrill of looking over traffic is great. I shall post the pics soon. Stay tuned....

Last edited by JUDA : 15th November 2007 at 11:15. Reason: Spelling & Grammer corrections
Old 15th November 2007, 11:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey JUDA

congrats for the beast.Enjoy the ride and drive safe.

What about posting some pics ?
Old 15th November 2007, 11:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Good things happen to good people. Therefore the Safari. Congrats and enjoy.
Thanks MAG, I find it quiet exciting that a vehicle that I didn't like much before I joined this forum but this forum turned me into a safari 2.2VTT die hard fan. I Thank all of you'll from the bottom of my heart.

Cheers!
Old 15th November 2007, 12:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Next day - Puneites wont believe this, took the beast on Sunday evening 6pm peak hour to Laxmi road....and it was no hassles except for those 2 wheelers who have an habit to ride real close to the rear without realizing the braking efficiency of the vehicle. A good drive, parked right next to Dagdushet Temple and it was like normal any other car as far as the size issues go.
Driving that hulk on Laxmi road and parking near Dagdusheth. Wow. I don't even dare to take my Palio anywhere near that place. U must be a great driver with tons of patience.

Quote:
At present I want to put the following items

1) Sun film.
2) Seat Covers - Art Leather preferred unless actual leather under 18K
3) Phillips Vision Plus head lamp bulbs (Non of the noted shops in pune have it having a hard time getting them in pune)
Have you tried Bafna Motors at Dnyaneshwar Paduka chowk? He is generally wekll stocked or can get them for you.

Last edited by Palio_2005 : 15th November 2007 at 12:57.
Old 15th November 2007, 13:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Driving that hulk on Laxmi road and parking near Dagdusheth. Wow. I don't even dare to take my Palio anywhere near that place. U must be a great driver with tons of patience.

Have you tried Bafna Motors at Dnyaneshwar Paduka chowk? He is generally wekll stocked or can get them for you.
Thanks Palio_2005. Well yes I have been driving in Pune past 10 years now. But believe me I didnt even take my Swift to laxmi road when I had it earlier to the beast. As I stated earlier it is the sheer presence and maneuverability of the beast that makes it a go anywhere vehicle.

I shall check out Bafna Auto.
Old 15th November 2007, 13:38   #11
BHPian

HEy JUDA
Congrats ...
What is the fuel economy your beast is delivering"?
Old 15th November 2007, 15:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankure View Post
HEy JUDA
Congrats ...
What is the fuel economy your beast is delivering"?
Thanks Ankure, at this point the beast is giving around 11.5 to 12.5 Km/lit [Approx] with a mix running of highway and city driving with AC ON. These are not my accurate figures as I am waiting for the 65 litre tank to touch "E" so that I can calculate the exact mileage.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ankure, at this point the beast is giving around 11.5 to 12.5 Km/lit [Approx] with a mix running of highway and city driving with AC ON. These are not my accurate figures as I am waiting for the 65 litre tank to touch "E" so that I can calculate the exact mileage.
you don't need to wait till "E". If you had a tankfull previously, then top it up again.

Average would be Kilometers run after your last refill/Number of litres put in.
Old 15th November 2007, 16:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats JUDA on your new ride. Have a good time taming the beast.

I too got 11.4 on my first tank refill.
The beast is great and its good to know that there were no hiccups with your beast.

Regarding the accessories do include in a decent pair of horns and a little wider set of tyres to go with the beast.
And why don't you go for the xenons. the prices have come down in the recent past.
Old 15th November 2007, 16:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats JUDA on your new ride. Have a good time taming the beast.

I too got 11.4 on my first tank refill.
The beast is great and its good to know that there were no hiccups with your beast.

Regarding the accessories do include in a decent pair of horns and a little wider set of tyres to go with the beast.
And why don't you go for the xenons. the prices have come down in the recent past.
Thanks Harjeev, which horns did you put? I don know if i can spend on tyres because I find these good enough, what about alloys any suggestions? Which Xenons did you put and what did they cost you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks