Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2007, 21:17   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW 525d - Initial Review & 23,000 kms / 13 months Report (page 5)

Note from Mod: A complete test-report of the 2010 525d is located at this linky

Ok guys, here is my review to my first Beamer !
Sorry for the delay in posting.

I'll let the pictures do the talking at first (This is the first time i am posting pics on this site so pardon me for my poor photo/uploading skills if any.)

[img=http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7553/dsc03014em7.jpg]

The car is exactly 10 days old today, took delivery on the morning of the 6th from Infinity Motors showroom in Chembur. Got there first thing in the morning, was suppose to get the delivery the previous night but decided to wait for the PDI to be complete. When i reached there the car had been taken for refueling, waited in their lounge which has very well made...impressed with the showroom setup. 10 mins later the car arrived, the sight of it just thrilled me and to now that a car i always admired was mine put me on cloud 9 in a second! The sales guy took over 20 mins to explain all the features etc to me coz there r so damn many in this car!

Cutting the drama short, i cracked the coconut and had the garland put and was off ! The second i rested my right foot lightly on the accelerator i knew that it meant serious business. For the first time a car had me smiling at just 2000rpm! Had quite a bit of traffic on my way back so i tried to give it a few burst whenever i could find a gap and in no time the was garland up in the air thanks to teh 400nM of torque!

There is not much the car leaves me wanting- parking senors, xenon, sun roof, iDrive with TV function (Displays only DD channels in clarity that i have never experience before even at home! Although it works only works when the car is not in motion but i have been stopping at corners to watch the last few overs of the Indo-Pak series ), the attension to detail is what fascinates me the most- the auto dimming mirrors r a boon for night driving with half the city driving at full beam, although i have been fighting that by completly blinding such fools with the xenons on full beam which is great fun! The doors close with a reasuring thud that u r safe in here...The start stop button makes u feel like Schumacher..and the gear shift makes me feel like a jet pilot !

Last but no the least the ENGINE...this is where the car realllllllllllly wins me over, i drove the E280CDi when it was launched and thought it was one of the most fun to drive cars and was very close to buying it until i heard the 5 series was launching....And boy was it worth the wait ! Not only does the BMW give me all the option that i would like to have added in the E-class plus more but it also out does the 280CDi engine. Overdrive stated that the 525d was a whole second faster than the E280CDi to the 100km/hr mark and 4 seconds faster to 180km/hr! But these figures mean nothing until u experience the adernaline rush that this engine gives u... There is so much torque to play around with that even a heavy footed driver like me is slapped back in the face to tame down the aggression coz at no point does the engine let you down...there is enough power thru the band to have u smiling from side to side no matter what rpm you are playing around at... however power hunger you are there is no temptation to push it beyond 3500 and on the few occasions that i have it has really scared me (in a good way) ! :P

In terms of handling i will let two clear examples do the talking.... i was taking turns at 180km/hr on the expressway....hit the bandra sea link steep turn at over 160 km/hr ... and on both events i felt like pushing harder but the reading on the speedo kept me away from it.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2010 at 20:23. Reason: Adding a link to my review :)
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2007, 21:45   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Woahhh congratulations Sahil! Great choice of a car
Old 16th November 2007, 21:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations
Awesome stuff dude.Love the 525d. Friend of mine working for bmw in mumbai told me about it.Said its got a lot of power. Didnt expect a d to perform this way.
Heard there werent any available when you went to buy it. Only infinity motors had one.
But why a 525d. Why not the petrol version???
Old 16th November 2007, 21:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, Sahil!
Beautiful color on the car. Its one of the best colors available on the BMWs. Do click a few pics during the day,so we'd get to see the beauty in all its glory.

Here's wishing you miles & miles of good times with the 525.
Old 16th November 2007, 21:52   #5
BHPian

Wooo.. thats sure a stunner..!!!

Congrats on acquiring it.
Old 16th November 2007, 22:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

awesome car looks wise certainly there is no car that can beat a BMW 5 series in that range no other car has such powerful looking lights design
its lamp designing is also impressive of couse the design too makes it look like a carnivore bird

like you mentioned in the volvo thread
you had no reason to even look at volvo
Old 16th November 2007, 22:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
But why a 525d. Why not the petrol version???
Why would i waste my money on a petrol when the 525d blows the 523i and 525i and is at par with the mighty 530i.

To make things even clearer (i should have mentioned this earlier then this question would not have comes up.) The FE on my first tank with some heavy footed driving all off which was in the city with AC the car returned 8km/litre and 13.5 km/litre on the highway !

@Nitin- Will click some pics in the day time, these pics dont really do complete justice.

Last edited by Sahil : 16th November 2007 at 22:38.
Old 16th November 2007, 23:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Why would i waste my money on a petrol when the 525d blows the 523i and 525i and is at par with the mighty 530i.

To make things even clearer (i should have mentioned this earlier then this question would not have comes up.) The FE on my first tank with some heavy footed driving all off which was in the city with AC the car returned 8km/litre and 13.5 km/litre on the highway !
This is a drivers car and gives excellent FE. If I had money, I would have gone for this car.
You have made an excellent choice. Enjoy!!
Old 17th November 2007, 01:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

@Nitin- Will click some pics in the day time, these pics dont really do complete justice.
Sure,Sahil..would love to see them.
Thats a pretty decent fuel economy on the 525d. Way to go!
Old 17th November 2007, 01:54   #10
BHPian

Great great great choice! and your right, the Benz is not even close to this beauty! Love every single bit of the 525d.. but please do post some day pictures. A side angle too

Congrats again and be safe!
Old 17th November 2007, 02:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

The interior of the car looks like a fighter pilot's cockpit with all its lights on
Old 17th November 2007, 03:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The interior of the car looks like a fighter pilot's cockpit with all its lights on
OT:I think the closest it gets to the feel of a combat aircraft is the Reventon. The interiors of the 525d are really refined..typical BMW.
Old 17th November 2007, 09:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sahil. A decision well taken. She looks beautiful. You seem to be a happy man . Do take good care of her and hope to see her in the flesh sometime.
Old 17th November 2007, 10:52   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Holy crap! Thats the best number plate I have seen on a 525 yet. 525 eh? Congrats man. Exciting times ahead for you, and am sure you are glad (as am I) that you didnt pick up the Camcord options that were being contemplated earlier this year. German sedans have a feel good factor that none can match. Especially when you have 400 NM of torque to compliment that build quality and gizmos?

Quote:
i was taking turns at 180km/hr on the expressway....hit the bandra sea link steep turn at over 160 km/hr ... and on both events i felt like pushing harder but the reading on the speedo kept me away from it.
Errrr......Running in? I suggest you head straight to the art of running in a new engine. If you go over 2500 rpms, a seriously heavy infraction is on the way .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2007, 11:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

congrats.sahil....hope ur driver was fired 10 days back ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks