Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2007, 19:42   #1
BHPian

Yellow Wasp:my "new" Palio D Sport

Friends
Just graduated from a Palio 1.2 to 1.9 D (Pre Owned Canary Yellow, ELX SPORT (has ABS))
Specs are for a Palio D
BUT It's LOADED ) , comes fitted with Alloys (tyres are Ventura from MRF though), Drove it back 150 KMsfrom Chandigarh , Loved the thrill, Never did I feel that it is a Diesel Vehicle,

Since My previous experience with diesels is with Indica and Indigo Dicor, I am in Awe of this beauty, The legendary torque is evident. It whams the road so subtly you just sail past the people who are just trying to floor their pedals to get the max out of their cars.

The previous Owner has kept the Car so well, It actually smells new,
Stickers placed just so subtly that they are there but not loudly

Will be posting Pics once I am allowed to have a Gallery

It is a decision spurred by the comments of the Gurus, My love for good cars and the bias of the people against the Palio. The general perception of the so called advisors does not stand a whiff once you are behind the steering of this Yellow Beast.

I m gonna christen it YELLOW WASP, a name given by my 3 n a half year old Danger Kid Adi , who like me loves Palios and Loves this set of wheels
Old 26th November 2007, 09:50   #2

Congrats buddy! on your new ride. I too liked the palio.But I could never find a good one when I was looking for one. So now I am with a Swift.

Have fun like a wasp!!
Old 26th November 2007, 10:16   #3
BHPian

congrats buddy, i am sure you will get converted to lifetime FIAT fan as times passes with your yellow wasp,

& dont forget to use IBP-IFTEX System D for your WASP, yes it makes a world of difference..

FIAT, always.....
Old 26th November 2007, 10:24   #4
BHPian

Goodie Rohit, I've driven one of those some time back. Pity they don't make it anymore, had to go with whats available.
Old 26th November 2007, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
Friends
Just graduated from a Palio 1.2 to 1.9 D (Pre Owned Canary Yellow, ELX SPORT (has ABS)) Specs are for a Palio D BUT It's LOADED ) , comes fitted with Alloys (tyres are Ventura from MRF though), Drove it back 150 KMsfrom Chandigarh , Loved the thrill, Never did I feel that it is a Diesel Vehicle
Welcome to the club of Palio D owners .. Didn't know that Palio D came with SPORT + ABS package as options. What price did u buy it at?

Also, Do u feel the need to have a 6th gear like I did whenever I drive it? It has so much of torque. God help if someone decides to put in a turbo charger !!
Old 26th November 2007, 19:54   #6
BHPian

Yellow Wasp

Quote:
Welcome to the club of Palio D owners .. Didn't know that Palio D came with SPORT + ABS package as options. What price did u buy it at?

Also, Do u feel the need to have a 6th gear like I did whenever I drive it? It has so much of torque. God help if someone decides to put in a turbo charger !!
Thanks to all of you for your wishes and advise

@Spadival: This car ELX SP was a relevation to me as this the first car which I have seen in India bearing a "Sport" Badge.

YESSIR, The boot sports(Pun Intended) a Sport badge in flowery Silver writing beneath the Palio D legend then when i went on the net I researched this is the ELX SP version (with ABS they say).

Well there always was a need for a 6th gear in all palios, this one rolls over more with the torque pushing out from the engine bay.

Just changed the Ice, Installed JVC HU with USB IN, Put in my Pio 2150s in the rear tray and this baby sounds good enuff for my likes now (I think I m getting older)

BTW, Has anyone installed K & N conical in the Palio D, is it feasible....
and How much will Turbocharger cost.

Anyone able to fit K & N in chandigarh, pls advise
Old 26th November 2007, 21:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the Palio. This is one of the non-CRDi diesels I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Didn't know that Palio D came with SPORT + ABS package as options. What price did u buy it at?
Heck I didn't even know that Yellow was offered for the diesel. I am sure they had an ELX SP PS which had all the safety features like ABS, airbags etc. but Yellow is new to me. The Sport badge is definitely an aftermarket addition by the previous owner. It can be either ELX or Sport and "Sport" for sure wasn't offered in the Diesel.
Old 26th November 2007, 22:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Isnt the Palio D already turbo-charged if my memory serves me correct???
Old 26th November 2007, 22:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
"Internal memory error" Palio D never came with a turbo .
Old 26th November 2007, 22:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Unfortunately no. Otherwise, can you imagine what would happen if u put a TCed 1.9 ltr engine in a hatchback !! I mean, for comparision, Skoda Octovia, which is 2 classes above the Palio, has a TCed 1.9 ltr engine !!
Old 26th November 2007, 22:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Heck I didn't even know that Yellow was offered for the diesel. I am sure they had an ELX SP PS which had all the safety features like ABS, airbags etc. but Yellow is new to me. The Sport badge is definitely an aftermarket addition by the previous owner. It can be either ELX or Sport and "Sport" for sure wasn't offered in the Diesel.
Kiran
This for sure is not after market coz I have shown it at anbros and they told me that only 3 pcs landed here in Chandigarh one of which was yellow (Mine ) and another 2 in Ferrari (coasting somewhere in Punjab. If memory serves me right a gentleman here (roopakr) also has this version.
"[FONT=Arial]Those who care about safety (or maybe that should read 'those who can afford safety') can opt for the top-end ELX SP variant of the Palio D, which comes equipped with anti-lock brakes, and electronic brake force distribution."[/FONT]

Quote:
No It is not tubocharged "[FONT=Arial]Fiat claim that this normally-aspirated 1910 CC inline-four diesel powerplant"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Source for both quotesPalio Diesel road test - Business Standard Motoring[/FONT]
Old 26th November 2007, 22:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
What price did u buy it at?
@Spadival
I paid Rs 3 lakhs for the Car Incl of Insurance valid till Jun 2008, The Car has 25000 odd Km s on the ODO and I dunno whether the price is right or not , I just fell in love with this car , The yellow color, sublime graphics, You gotta see it and u'll love this babe.It has a profile which beats any car.

I had a mind to go in for safari 2.2 or the scorpio but being a banker makes me a thinker once in a while and I used the saved money in some Stocks . and I m actually making small margins.....

The seller quoted 3.20, I said 2.80 , he asked me to take a hike , I just handed him the token money (awaited the real cheap staff loan @ 3.5% from my employer)Got the cheque in one week and closed the deal. Sad part is valuer did not include the Alloys etc to the value of the Car. So I had to shell 40 K from my own pocket
Old 27th November 2007, 09:07   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on you new ride, which is made more exclusive by the unique colour & badging. If I remember "Sport" badges were launched on the 1.2 petrol versions.
Old 28th November 2007, 21:05   #14
BHPian

800 KMS 4 Days

Hey Guys

800 KMS 4 Days First Impressions

This set of wheels is a dream, It gives 15 KMPL on a fuel which comes at 32.5 Litres for 1000 Rs. After a petrol palio which gave me roughly 10-11 KMPL on PETROL, I m enjoying this.
And this is when there are Jams across the city, IN City driving, A/C Still On( I enjoy cold atmosphere) .
Though It is a bit less in start pickups and there are vibrations, this is a Nice. Lurks around on the road like a wolf in sheep's clothing and has power on demand. esp on the Highway when those Indica taxiwalas at 80 KMPH try to blind you flashing headlights like they have a Ownership right of the way. I just touch the pedal and off we go, sometimes leaving a startled face in the indica.

BTW I usually cruise between 75-80, is it good for the engine????
Old 29th November 2007, 07:27   #15
rippergeo

Did they stop production of this car? the diesel Palio I mean. never did consider it when i was looking for a b segment diesel. now after hearing you talk about the performance, makes me want one. Still miss my petrol palio.

Most Viewed