Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2008, 14:56   #106
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Why cant every diesel be floored? why just verna its just another common rail engine?
just my experience with NA and turbo charged diesels, thats all! even most of the CRDIs.

Most diesels produce a large amount of torque low down. thats why I like driving diesels more than petrol. but the downside is, most of them run out of breath at higher rpms. the older gen diesels more so than the new ones.

the only exception I've seen is the verna. it just revs and revs and revs(like a good petrol engine) all the way to the redline, and keeps producing useful torque and power.

I suspect the VGT has a lot to do with this.

there's nothing stopping one from revving a diesel to the redline
but the vehicle should be providing decent acceleration when you're doing that.otherwise, all one is doing is, making noise, causing pollution, wasting fuel and causing increased wear and tear.

revving stock diesels that are available to the middle class in our country, is like this(flogging a dead horse)
except the verna(so far)

Old 12th May 2008, 09:59   #107
Senior - BHPian

In less then 7 days my car has complited 700 Kms.

The power in the Sx with abs is great. I can say it is a "WOW" exp. till now i got an avrage more then 17 on NH mumbai gujarat. I am happy with that also.

Max speed i tuched was only 110. till the first service i thought this was the best. Pick-up is better then Optra 1.8 also.

Ac is good in afternoon also. if i keep it on auto mode then fan of the a.c. goes to max. (I will have to go to showroom to see the settings of the a.c.)

over all i would give full marks to the car performance.
Old 12th May 2008, 10:40   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

the only exception I've seen is the verna. it just revs and revs and revs(like a good petrol engine) all the way to the redline, and keeps producing useful torque and power.
True, very few diesels are revv-happy. You must really test a C220 or the BMW 320D, they revv just like petrols (uptil 4500 - 5000 rpms that is).
Old 12th May 2008, 21:04   #109
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
True, very few diesels are revv-happy. You must really test a C220 or the BMW 320D, they revv just like petrols (uptil 4500 - 5000 rpms that is).
GTO- I dont bother with cars that I'll never be able to buy.
the mercs and beemers are'nt exactly middle class cars are they?
but I know what you mean, I've sat in a few of them.

Old 13th May 2008, 20:02   #110
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
GTO- I dont bother with cars that I'll never be able to buy.
Okay, remind me not to send you an invite when 'em Ferrari testdrive coupons come around
Old 13th May 2008, 20:50   #111
Senior - BHPian

Its a second gen CRDI. Very rev friendly.
But, the last 500 rpm is dead. There's no power, no torque.
Old 19th May 2008, 12:21   #112
BHPian

breaking the chain of a nowhere leading topic with a different one, I have silicon HID 6000K in my headlamps, am looking for something for fog lamps, pls throw some light
for options and how does it impact the fog lamp reflectors.
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:30   #113
BHPian

I am realizing that after 2 months of running, my HID kit seem to be diminishing in intensity / illumination. Is it normal to lose some brightness for all HID`s , Any verna users with HID ?
Old 22nd May 2008, 20:44   #114
BHPian

Hi Ripper/Pankaj

Could you guys give me your valuable inputs on how to drive Verna VGT during run-in period or for the first 1500Kms. I am switching from Indica V2 DLS non-turbo to Verna VGT therefore your inputs would be very much helpful for me.

Thanks & Regards,
Girish
Old 24th May 2008, 14:03   #115
BHPian

Dear Girish

The most important is to keep the rpm above 2000 when changing gears , avoid temptation of switching 1500-2000 rpm. Don't let the engine buckle (rattling vibration when you change gear sub normal rpm. Rest things are normal as it does not require any special considerations, as confirmed by Hyundai experts.
Though second gear to third gear is a stressing stretch, mainly because if you are around 30-40 kmph , you would be tempted to change , however the moment you throw it into 3rd gear at 30kmph, you would be greeted by an uneasy grunt from the engine trying to chase. and if you change at 40 and above, its gonna be smooth .
The crucial problem comes when you have accelerated all the way to 40 to change and then suddenly you have to slow down due top some obstruction and then accelerate again, the engine lugs the car back into motion with a thrust which is uncomfortable at slow speeds, my wife often complaints of the abrupt push that comes along.
That feeling is weird, I am sure people with Verna would agree and disrupts the otherwise sweet and smooth ride of Verna
Old 27th May 2008, 22:40   #116
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
I am realizing that after 2 months of running, my HID kit seem to be diminishing in intensity / illumination. Is it normal to lose some brightness for all HID`s , Any verna users with HID ?
no idea pankaj. did you try a search? any updates about this problem? I'm running 130/100s with relays. everything is good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Dear Girish

The most important is to keep the rpm above 2000 when changing gears , avoid temptation of switching 1500-2000 rpm. Don't let the engine buckle (rattling vibration when you change gear sub normal rpm. Rest things are normal as it does not require any special considerations, as confirmed by Hyundai experts.
Though second gear to third gear is a stressing stretch, mainly because if you are around 30-40 kmph , you would be tempted to change , however the moment you throw it into 3rd gear at 30kmph, you would be greeted by an uneasy grunt from the engine trying to chase. and if you change at 40 and above, its gonna be smooth .
The crucial problem comes when you have accelerated all the way to 40 to change and then suddenly you have to slow down due top some obstruction and then accelerate again, the engine lugs the car back into motion with a thrust which is uncomfortable at slow speeds, my wife often complaints of the abrupt push that comes along.
That feeling is weird, I am sure people with Verna would agree and disrupts the otherwise sweet and smooth ride of Verna
keeping the rpm above 2000 while upshifting...hmmm.. will work on the highways, but in the city you end up travelling much faster than surrounding traffic.

I feel,one should shift up early while driving in the city.

3rd gear does pull well at 30kmph. but if you try and floor the pedal, the engine will show its displeasure by rattling/vibrating.
if you modulate the throttle and let the speed rise gradually, it should not be a problem.
changing to 3rd at 40kmph above is an option, it will make things easier for the driver to provide a jerk free ride, but how frequently can we go above 40kmph in rush hour?
also like you said, by the time you reach 40 and are getting ready to upshift, you meet new traffic and you're banging your head on an imaginary wall.

learning to modulate the throttle in the verna(diesels dont have a throttle do they?) is the best for FE and clutch life

it does make the ride jerky below 40kmph, but, its only a matter of time before you learn to deal with it and ride will become smooth.

Last edited by rippergeo : 27th May 2008 at 22:44.

Old 28th May 2008, 17:16   #117

Auto AC

Hi, Im a newbie here. I own a Verna SX ABS CRDI which I picked up last September. Even earlier I had this confusion of adjusting the Auto AC. Whevever you turn on the Auto AC it goes into outside air circulation. After lot of fiddling with the switches I could finally adjust the Auto AC.

What you have to do is keep the temperature below 19 degrees and switch on the Auto AC. It will work in Internal circulation mode and later on it automatically adjusts the temperature inside. Try this out and let me know. Might be able to help you out if it is not working after trying this.

Enjoy your cool car in this Mumbai summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
I checked up in the Verna owners manual there is no such setting that we can change it on our own way!

well this is really bad setting because in Mumbai there is such a pollution. Outside the car that it is better that we keep it in side car air setting only.

Can any one help on this ?
Old 28th May 2008, 18:29   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
no idea pankaj. did you try a search? any updates about this problem? I'm running 130/100s with relays. everything is good so far.
I guess the life span very less for the HID as lots of people say that after a few months, the brightness got dimmed and later on they had to replace the bulbs. Nobody suggested me to switch to HID and instead to be to get the 90/100 with ceramic realys and have fun

Regards,
Sajan

Last edited by sajands : 28th May 2008 at 18:39.
Old 28th May 2008, 18:37   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
I guess the life spanis very less for the HID as lots of people say that after a few months, the brightness got dimmed and later on they had to replace the bulbs. Nobody suggested me to switch to HID and instead to be to get the 90/100 with ceramic realys and have fun

Regards,
Sajan
Hi sajan , isnt that in contrast to the basic principles of HID kits? the HID bulbs of which are supposed to have much longer life than the standard incandescent H4 that the majority of us use?
Old 28th May 2008, 18:48   #120
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivdevaiah View Post
Hi, Im a newbie here. I own a Verna SX ABS CRDI which I picked up last September. Even earlier I had this confusion of adjusting the Auto AC. Whevever you turn on the Auto AC it goes into outside air circulation. After lot of fiddling with the switches I could finally adjust the Auto AC.

What you have to do is keep the temperature below 19 degrees and switch on the Auto AC. It will work in Internal circulation mode and later on it automatically adjusts the temperature inside. Try this out and let me know. Might be able to help you out if it is not working after trying this.

Enjoy your cool car in this Mumbai summer.
@shiv- that works because the AC is trying constantly to get to 19 deg but not attaining it. therefore it persists in the re circulate mode.
I tried that, but the car gets too cold.

how do I get it to stay in re circulate with a temp setting of 22deg?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks