Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2007, 10:57   #61
BHPian

Hi All,

I really wonder how come Hyundai is still yet to decide on providing Airbags as std option on the Verna's Swift D has dual airbags, when i asked the same to the sale's guy, he just said ABS will take care and there is no need of an airbag...i was shocked at his answer. i'am still yet to decide on wheather i should go for the Verna CRDi ABs or CRDi SX version, Also, which would be a better tyre option 195/65 R15 or 205/65 R15 i'am planning to stick to Bridgestone as thats what was on my Santro and gave me total control the other option is Yokohama wich is also as good as Bridgestone. Please do let me know. Is there any discounts on verna CDRi SX or CRDi ABS going on...

P.S. i will getting the 130/100 W Phillips Rally bulbs too

Regards,
Sajan
Old 29th December 2007, 19:41   #62
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hi All,

I really wonder how come Hyundai is still yet to decide on providing Airbags as std option on the Verna's Swift D has dual airbags, when i asked the same to the sale's guy, he just said ABS will take care and there is no need of an airbag...i was shocked at his answer. i'am still yet to decide on wheather i should go for the Verna CRDi ABs or CRDi SX version, Also, which would be a better tyre option 195/65 R15 or 205/65 R15 i'am planning to stick to Bridgestone as thats what was on my Santro and gave me total control the other option is Yokohama wich is also as good as Bridgestone. Please do let me know. Is there any discounts on verna CDRi SX or CRDi ABS going on...

P.S. i will getting the 130/100 W Phillips Rally bulbs too

Regards,
Sajan
195/65 R15 is going to alter your dynamics and speedo reading big time. not sure if its worth it. Ditto for 205/65 only to a larger extent.
would be perfect if you could find a 195/55 r15 tyre or 215/50 R15. both these sizes will not alter the vehicle dynamics or change the rolling circumference of the wheels. I checked on the bridgestone website and apollo website but could not find any models in these sizes, no idea about the other manufacturers. With tyres of such a low profile I dont think that you have any option other than imports. I personally am not a big fan of Indian made Bridgestone tyres, especially the "B" series that the verna comes shod with. If you do find an upsize that does not alter the rolling circumference noticeably make sure to check the body clearances before installation. Since the verna has a fairly soft suspension the ride will not suffer much even if you use tyres with stiffer sidewalls such as the potenza G3 from bridgestone or any other high performance tyre.

By the way, the standard wheels on the verna are 14inchers. are you going for alloys to upsize to 15 inch?

the phillips rally are good bulbs, make sure they are installed with a relay.
and make sure you are on good terms with your dealers, cos some of them are crappy enough to say -changing the lights will void your warranty.

dont listen to the salesmen. The car has ABS therefore it does not need airbagsthat is sheer lunacy!
its true, you do need the airbags, but no idea when these would be available on the verna.
if you like the car as much as I did, you should buy it. no regrets whatsoever

I'm slightly mad about great handling cars, the verna is not a great handler. but still with that kind of straight line performance, nothing else matters.
Go for It!!!!!

Old 29th December 2007, 19:51   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
195/65 R15 is going to alter your dynamics and speedo reading big time. not sure if its worth it. Ditto for 205/65 only to a larger extent.
would be perfect if you could find a 195/55 r15 tyre or 215/50 R15. both these sizes will not alter the vehicle dynamics or change the rolling circumference of the wheels. I checked on the bridgestone website and apollo website but could not find any models in these sizes, no idea about the other manufacturers. With tyres of such a low profile I dont think that you have any option other than imports. I personally am not a big fan of Indian made Bridgestone tyres, especially the "B" series that the verna comes shod with. If you do find an upsize that does not alter the rolling circumference noticeably make sure to check the body clearances before installation. Since the verna has a fairly soft suspension the ride will not suffer much even if you use tyres with stiffer sidewalls such as the potenza G3 from bridgestone or any other high performance tyre.
I would suggest you come & hang around for a while on the Tyre & Wheel section on our forum. You might just be surprised at the level of information & suggestions available there.

Sajan - Your question has been discussed earlier in quite a few threads on the tyre section, you should do a search for it.
Old 29th December 2007, 23:37   #64
BHPian

Hey rippergeo and iraghava,

Thanks for the advice, will look the articles. well, the salesguy called up and said that there are no Verna's currently in stock and will have to wait till Jan 18th to book the car and after booking car will be delivered after 3 weeks time. He also mentioned that the new elentra will hit the indian roads by mid march 08 and i30 may also join in, the SUV Sante Fe will be launched alongside, Still he did not tell me if the verna and GETZ will have an Airbag as an option and if the GETZ will get ABS.... he was with the same sentence, "Nobody ask's for it sir, so we are not providing it" !!!!! I even tried asking Hyundai by sending them an email and all i got was an email saying we shall get back to you within 2 days, its been 4 days still no call or no email.....

Will keep you all posted.

Regards,
Sajan.

P.S. Wish you all a HAppy and Safe Vew Year 08.
Old 31st December 2007, 15:25   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really wonder how come Hyundai is still yet to decide on providing Airbags as std option on the Verna's Swift D has dual airbags

Please do let me know. Is there any discounts on verna CDRi SX or CRDi ABS going on...
Err... The Swift D does not have Airbags. Only ABS is OPtional and you have to pay extra.

Getz does not even have ABS as an option.

Plenty of Discounts on Verna till today ( upto 45000 ).

After tommorrow - you can get 20000 Discount + 10000 add if you already have a Hyundai car. So it is a good deal.
Old 4th January 2008, 09:44   #66
rippergeo

my new year's day trip

I just did this trip in the verna- Cochin-Trivandrum-nagercoil-tirunelveli-madurai on new year's day,and back by the same route. roughly 1100 km covered.

the car is brilliant. overtaking is amazing. instead of overtaking one car at a time, there is enough performance in reserve for me to overtake 8-10 cars in one go. amazing! the plus side is, none knows whats happening, before they can get ready to block your path or race with you, you have disappeared into the horizon, that way i can avoid unecessary bad blood with other road users who think they are breaking the sound barrier at 60kmph

the brakes- I flew over a hump at 100kmph at night on the tirunelveli-madurai section which was being 4 laned. just as I was about to land, i realised there was no road ahead(around 25 metres ahead). Hit the brakes in panic, while in the air. when I landed there was a little squeal from the tires, and then the ABS kicked in, I think!(was too busy to observe the minute details) the car neatly steered into the diversion.

the handling- i know I have complained myself on this thread that I started, but this car gets more impressive everyday. the section from nagercoil to tirunelveli is not too great, the surface is uneven and there are plenty of irritating potholes. the car rode well over that surface at speeds between 80-90. the car was skittish and I was aware of that fact, but not scarily so.

accelerating hard (which means flooring it in 2nd gear to 4000rpm)in the verna on a surface like that can get interesting as the front wheels fight for traction, but all one has to do is ease off on the diesel, and everything settles down. anyway, flooring the verna in 2nd or 3rd gear on a smooth surface is also scary if you are not used to the thrust.

I couldnt help humiliating a Tata indicab on the 4 lane in chertala. he pulled up next to me and started revving his engine at the red light and looking at me pointedly. i know it was immature to have risen to the bait, but he must have learnt his lesson. i could see his face in the rear view mirror, it was worth it! there are advantages to insane acceleration.

I'm beginning to trust this car more than i trust my beloved swift DDiS, and thats saying something. of course its a full 3.5 lacs costlier, and it has ABS,and its wheel base is longer, but even without ABS, this car can drop anchor very well.

moral of the story- get a car with good brakes. also if the ABS is available for 30,000 extra, buy it, it has already paid for itself many times over in hospital and dent repair bills that were avoided

the brake feel is brilliant, and if one doesnt indulge in insane antics, the ABS need not be used at all. but the safety value of the ABS is indisputable

Old 4th January 2008, 10:41   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I just did this trip in the verna- Cochin-Trivandrum-nagercoil-tirunelveli-madurai on new year's day,and back by the same route. roughly 1100 km covered.

the car is brilliant. overtaking is amazing. instead of overtaking one car at a time, there is enough performance in reserve for me to overtake 8-10 cars in one go. amazing! the plus side is, none knows whats happening, before they can get ready to block your path or race with you, you have disappeared into the horizon, that way i can avoid unecessary bad blood with other road users who think they are breaking the sound barrier at 60kmph

the brakes- I flew over a hump at 100kmph at night on the tirunelveli-madurai section which was being 4 laned. just as I was about to land, i realised there was no road ahead(around 25 metres ahead). Hit the brakes in panic, while in the air. when I landed there was a little squeal from the tires, and then the ABS kicked in, I think!(was too busy to observe the minute details) the car neatly steered into the diversion.

the handling- i know I have complained myself on this thread that I started, but this car gets more impressive everyday. the section from nagercoil to tirunelveli is not too great, the surface is uneven and there are plenty of irritating potholes. the car rode well over that surface at speeds between 80-90. the car was skittish and I was aware of that fact, but not scarily so.

accelerating hard (which means flooring it in 2nd gear to 4000rpm)in the verna on a surface like that can get interesting as the front wheels fight for traction, but all one has to do is ease off on the diesel, and everything settles down. anyway, flooring the verna in 2nd or 3rd gear on a smooth surface is also scary if you are not used to the thrust.

I couldnt help humiliating a Tata indicab on the 4 lane in chertala. he pulled up next to me and started revving his engine at the red light and looking at me pointedly. i know it was immature to have risen to the bait, but he must have learnt his lesson. i could see his face in the rear view mirror, it was worth it! there are advantages to insane acceleration.

I'm beginning to trust this car more than i trust my beloved swift DDiS, and thats saying something. of course its a full 3.5 lacs costlier, and it has ABS,and its wheel base is longer, but even without ABS, this car can drop anchor very well.

moral of the story- get a car with good brakes. also if the ABS is available for 30,000 extra, buy it, it has already paid for itself many times over in hospital and dent repair bills that were avoided

the brake feel is brilliant, and if one doesnt indulge in insane antics, the ABS need not be used at all. but the safety value of the ABS is indisputable
Hi rippergeo

i am booking verna sx(2008 model)-passion red tomorrow and should be getting it delivered by mid jan'08.

i had comedown to this decision after checking many cars almost for last 2 months(cedia, magnum,city etc)

to be frank, one of the motivating factor for me was ur review which made me to decide with verna.

i'm getting it with sunroof & spoiler on delivery.

planning to change the tyres & alloya to 15". will 14" alloy to a 14" tyre be better?
Old 4th January 2008, 11:28   #68
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
Hi rippergeo

i am booking verna sx(2008 model)-passion red tomorrow and should be getting it delivered by mid jan'08.

i had comedown to this decision after checking many cars almost for last 2 months(cedia, magnum,city etc)

to be frank, one of the motivating factor for me was ur review which made me to decide with verna.

i'm getting it with sunroof & spoiler on delivery.

planning to change the tyres & alloya to 15". will 14" alloy to a 14" tyre be better?
congrats on the decision deepan!
that is a great compliment, thanks. how did you manage to get a sun roof and spoiler as standard? hard bargaining?how much did they charge you for it?

15 inch alloys should improve the handling. make sure the tyre profile is reduced correspondingly so that the overall diameter of the tyre and wheel come to the stock's diameter.

the ride might feel stiffer, but thats not a big loss, because the ride is very soft to begin with

dont base your decision on my review. hope you have done a detailed test drive and liked the car.
and you have'nt mentioned ABS, are you getting it?

Old 4th January 2008, 12:19   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Comfort- Ride is pretty good in both front and back even over very rough roads.(but thats still no excuse for the atrocious handling at high speeds). Can get choppy in the rear if pushed very hard over rough roads

A very close friend owns this car,i love the car but ride at times(high speed very little bouncy roads)becomes untolerable,the car gets very bouncy at times and midcorner bumps unsettle the car too much except the suspension the car is dream to own.

Its so much fun to drive,the steering though light is pretty direct.Acceleration is awesome for a car in this segment with hardest of driving the car never dips below 15kpl.

I wont recommend a Verna without ABS.The brakes are overservoed but serve the purpose unlike non-ABS version which is too much skittish.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th January 2008 at 12:25.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:41   #70
BHPian

We have a November 2006 crdi-abs model, which has completed 25000 km.
Before buying the car we were concerned about the maintenance cost of the diesel engine.
But were rather surprised by its low maintenance cost.
It only require a oil change in 6 months(10-12k km).
Also filter has been changed once.
Also checkout Jan 2008 Autocar which has a spare part survey which states than Verna has one of the cheapest spare parts in its class and even lower than some cars in A segment.
This makes you save all your hard earned money inspite of steep initial price.
I personally feel maintenance along with mileage of a car is a important prospect when buying a car as high running costs may completely wipe out savings done during buying a car of lower price.
Coupled with these two factors verna also provides good performance and comfort which makes it a good all rounder.
HAPPY DRIVING IN THE NEW YEAR TO ALL T-BHPIANS.
Old 4th January 2008, 14:51   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

The Fuel filter for newer Verna costs around 1800 bucks + 5 liters of oil plus other stuff service is a costly affair compared to petrols in the same segment
Old 5th January 2008, 08:51   #72
BHPian

Quote:
congrats on the decision deepan!
that is a great compliment, thanks. how did you manage to get a sun roof and spoiler as standard? hard bargaining?how much did they charge you for it?

15 inch alloys should improve the handling. make sure the tyre profile is reduced correspondingly so that the overall diameter of the tyre and wheel come to the stock's diameter.

the ride might feel stiffer, but thats not a big loss, because the ride is very soft to begin with

dont base your decision on my review. hope you have done a detailed test drive and liked the car.
and you have'nt mentioned ABS, are you getting it?

Sorry..its Verna SX with ABS. HMP(hyundai motor plaza) ihas committed me to deliver her by 10th of Jan'08.

now there is a change. only sunroof comes along with the car(they are carging about 25k for electonic) spoiler come for only two colours(black/dynasty red) as they have got some limited editions in these colors.

i also get additional 10k as vendor discount(my software - symantec AV is running at hyundai plant)

Also getting 10k loyaly bonus as i'm already owning a viva(petrol) which i'm likely to sell in few days.

I had completely tested all cars before going with verna.few reasons for me to decide on verna

1. TCO
2. ROI
3. Support - i can assure a good support from hundai vendors.
for eg - i am owning a Viva(petrol) 11 months old.i had some problem with parkings lights & switches due to rain water getting in to them. As you all know these stuffs doesnt come under warranty.But they gave all these free of cost and just charged Rs 50.00 as service charge (instead of Rs 850.00)
4. not to mention better resale value as i normally change the car within 2 yrs(but this time planning to keep her for minimum 3 yrs)
Old 5th January 2008, 11:00   #73
BHPian

Hi All,

Me back again, still in a confusion on the verna, i guess this will keep on going till i get my car few people told me that during the rainy season, the verna is very dnagerous to drive, it acts like a slippery fish on the road anyone has faced such a problem?? I'am still waiting for the launch of the Fiat Grande Punto want to see what it's engine specs and on-road cost is and then decide on the car to buy.

Thanks all for the advice given so far.

P.S. DeepanOnline, Does all Verna's have anb option of the Spolier??? I have not seen any verna's with spoliers in bangalore so far, if possible please post few pics on them.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 5th January 2008, 11:04   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPindian
Also checkout Jan 2008 Autocar which has a spare part survey which states than Verna has one of the cheapest spare parts in its class and even lower than some cars in A segment.
This makes you save all your hard earned money inspite of steep initial price.
I guess this is only for the Petrol version of Verna and not CDRi version, CDRi version is bit expensive to maintain, that's what they say, please do correct me on this if i have got it wrong.
Old 5th January 2008, 21:23   #75
rippergeo

Quote:
Hi All,

Me back again, still in a confusion on the verna, i guess this will keep on going till i get my car few people told me that during the rainy season, the verna is very dnagerous to drive, it acts like a slippery fish on the road anyone has faced such a problem?? I'am still waiting for the launch of the Fiat Grande Punto want to see what it's engine specs and on-road cost is and then decide on the car to buy.

Thanks all for the advice given so far.

P.S. DeepanOnline, Does all Verna's have anb option of the Spolier??? I have not seen any verna's with spoliers in bangalore so far, if possible please post few pics on them.

Regards,
Sajan
in wet weather all cars experience a loss in traction. verna is no exception. the verna faces problems on uneven surfaces. if you put a verna through wet weather and an uneven surface at stupid speeds, it should cause trouble.

I dont know for sure. I picked up the verna after the rains had passed. will watch it closely next monsoon. maybe there are other drivers on the forum who have had the car during the rainy season

anyway sajan, i thought you were upsizing your tyres, handling should definitely improve.

the fiat grande punto IMHO is worth waiting for. it is definitely going to handle better than the verna. but starightline performance and braking? we'll see.

Most Viewed