Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2008, 14:43   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hi All,

Me back again, still in a confusion on the verna, i guess this will keep on going till i get my car few people told me that during the rainy season, the verna is very dnagerous to drive, it acts like a slippery fish on the road anyone has faced such a problem?? I'am still waiting for the launch of the Fiat Grande Punto want to see what it's engine specs and on-road cost is and then decide on the car to buy.

Thanks all for the advice given so far.

P.S. DeepanOnline, Does all Verna's have anb option of the Spolier??? I have not seen any verna's with spoliers in bangalore so far, if possible please post few pics on them.

Regards,
Sajan

Hi Sajan

you can get two variants in spoilers...black & dynasty red. if you have some other colour and very specific on factory fitments,then get this & change the colour :-)

i was there in bangalore on friday and i saw atleast 3 vernas(2 red & 1 black) with spoilers dude.
Old 29th March 2008, 12:33   #77
BHPian

Well I gotmy new Verna SX ABS in ebony blacklast weekend. 9.09 on road excluding 20kdiscount. Its awesome guys,really a dream cometrue. I have shod it with 14`` chrome alloys and have retained the stock 185/65/R14 bridgestone. Also I have replaced stock 2 din Kenwood with JVC EXAD Touchscreen, and silicon HID in headlamps. The overall feel is amazing.
Old 29th March 2008, 14:44   #78
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Well I gotmy new Verna SX ABS in ebony blacklast weekend. 9.09 on road excluding 20kdiscount. Its awesome guys,really a dream cometrue. I have shod it with 14`` chrome alloys and have retained the stock 185/65/R14 bridgestone. Also I have replaced stock 2 din Kenwood with JVC EXAD Touchscreen, and silicon HID in headlamps. The overall feel is amazing.
congrats pankaj, how much did the HID lamps cost you? just one doubt, do you need a projector setup for these HIDs too?

@sajands- dude!!!! you have'nt purchased the verna yet???? whats wrong with you?

like I had said earlier, had the chance to unwittingly test braking in the ABS verna under wet conditions. ABS did save my skin on the 4 lane between angamaly and cochin.

car felt very safe and predictable under hard braking in soaking wet conditions.

Last edited by rippergeo : 29th March 2008 at 14:52.

Old 30th March 2008, 17:49   #79
BHPian

Hi Rippergeo and Pankaj,

Congrats to both of you for the new verna.

Can you please tell how it is compared to Viva crdi? The engine specs and the bodyroll/suspension etc.
I am looking at a used viva crdi and want to know whether viva is as good as the verna, especially when I cannot afford the verna.
Thanks.
Old 31st March 2008, 00:02   #80
rippergeo

the viva CRDI is no slouch! We used to have an accent CRDI, and that was very good in a straight line. was decent to flick about. the ride was nice, body roll was present but not worrying. braking was average.

I have no first hand experience with the viva CRDI, but i doubt if it is markedly different in dynamics from the accent CRDI

The verna outscores the accent/viva in

1 sheer acceleration
2 marginally better handling.
3 vastly superior braking, even without the ABS, the verna is leagues ahead of the accent

body roll is similar

but the ride in the verna feels more bouncy than the accent.

make sure the engine is in good condition before you pay for the used viva CRDI

Old 2nd April 2008, 12:36   #81
BHPian

Well dude it cost me 8k, the guy asked 9 but settled for 8 . I wonder what value addition projector wud do since it is decent enough as it is, it does a neat job of illumination in the stock headlight assembly, and coupled with 1 yr warranty seems to be a fair deal.
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:37   #82
BHPian

Hi Pankaj & rippergo. Congrats on your new cars.
Pankaj- there is a dedicated thread with discussions on projector setup for Xenons and you will understand whats the use of projectors. Its helpful for the people who are coming from the opposite direction.

Nitin:
I also exchanged Viva CRDi for Verna SX ABS and there are plenty of changes and this car is much better than Viva (IMHO).
1. Better top speed- max I did in Viva - 180 and in Verna 195 ( both speedo readings).
2. Pick up/ accelaration- very good.
3. NVH and road noise- much better in Verna.
4. features like
a.seat height adjust,
b.two din audio,
c.ABS with rear disc brakes too ,
d. key less entry,
e.wider seats, arm rest for driver and
f. Climate control make it a much better car with beige interiors.
g. Biege interiors part may be debatable( subjective).
h. 14 inches wheels.
i. pull out type door handles.
j. integrated fog lamps.
k. fake wood trims.
make it a very good car to live in as compared to Viva.
I dont know what is your point of reference when you say its bouncy ride in Verna. My experience has been just not noticeable.
Viva is/ was a very nice car and I was very happy with it- no doubts but Verna is better. Viva has better FE than Verna. In Viva FE of 17 kmpl was normal and in this I get 15-16 - may also be because of spirited driving , I cant resist flooring throttle , when I can!
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:00   #83
rippergeo

@shatrughna congrats, I know what you mean when you say you cant resist flooring it. I have'nt tried any high end diesels yet, but so far, thsi is the most rev happy diesel I've ever driven. thats a very detailed comparison of the viva and the verna. thanks. about the bouncy ride, my frame of reference is the Accent CRDI- I upgraded last year. on an undulating road the verna's rear bounces a bit more than the accent's. Note- the tyre pressures have been checked.

Old 3rd April 2008, 19:53   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@sajands- dude!!!! you have'nt purchased the verna yet???? whats wrong with you?
Hey buddy,

Well, was just waiting to see if there was any other new launches popping up Well, I guess not. Checked out the Swift Desize, and felt disgusted . i' am gonna meet the sales guy Sunil at Advaith Hyundai and will go ahead and start the paper work for Verna CRDi+ABS version, small confusion whether to go for Real Earth or Sliver color. Will keep you all posted on the same.

Almost forgot, getting 195/65 R14 exchange for the stock. Still looking out for the HID halogen or Xenon headlights, help.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

Sajan
I can understand your excitement but more than 2 smilies are not allowed here. Better edit them before u get an infraction.

Wish u the best for Booking the Verna.
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:08   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sajan
I can understand your excitement but more than 2 smilies are not allowed here. Better edit them before u get an infraction.

Wish u the best for Booking the Verna.
Too late!

@ripper; floor a diesel???
Old 4th April 2008, 06:21   #87
rippergeo

you cant just floor every diesel. but, the verna CRDI is definitely floorable.
everytime I get some space, it is pedal to the metal. car pulls from 1500(turbo kick at 1800-1900) and pulls like mad all the way till 4500, by which time you're probably doing triple digit speeds.

so yes-floor a diesel!!!

Old 4th April 2008, 11:55   #88
Senior - BHPian

this is what i think.

hi there,

i want to ask you that fiat as a service in mumbai and hyundai in mumbai parts, maintaince etc. "how both will perfom" this is a 1 milion qust. according to me.

i think hyundai will be always better then fiat. (At-list in the current market)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
in wet weather all cars experience a loss in traction. verna is no exception. the verna faces problems on uneven surfaces. if you put a verna through wet weather and an uneven surface at stupid speeds, it should cause trouble.

I dont know for sure. I picked up the verna after the rains had passed. will watch it closely next monsoon. maybe there are other drivers on the forum who have had the car during the rainy season

anyway sajan, i thought you were upsizing your tyres, handling should definitely improve.

the fiat grande punto IMHO is worth waiting for. it is definitely going to handle better than the verna. but starightline performance and braking? we'll see.
Old 7th April 2008, 15:18   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hey buddy,

Well, was just waiting to see if there was any other new launches popping up Well, I guess not. Checked out the Swift Desize, and felt disgusted . i' am gonna meet the sales guy Sunil at Advaith Hyundai and will go ahead and start the paper work for Verna CRDi+ABS version, small confusion whether to go for Real Earth or Sliver color. Will keep you all posted on the same.

Almost forgot, getting 195/65 R14 exchange for the stock. Still looking out for the HID halogen or Xenon headlights, help.

Regards,
Sajan
Dude!.. frst of all you wud get 195/65/ R14 stockon ABS, so there is no exchange here. I have an SX ABS which I bought this month only and it comes with the mentioned tyre profile (earlier the showroom guy wasnt aware , only when I insisted he checked), 2ndly I have put on HID by silicon 6000K , does a fair job of illumination + 1 yr warranty at Rs 8000, and chrome alloys. The tyres look much bigger now with the contrasting shine of alloys (ppl have pointed out) and each time I have delightedly told them that I havnt spent a penny on rubber. So change those pressed steel and retain the stock tyres.
3rd.. I bought ebony black . Silver or other colors make the car look less bigger ,and they lose the shine after an yr the car starts looking dull, whereas in black it looks imposing and trust me mine looks like a mini jaguar KX type cud show you the pic but moderator hasnt blessed me yet with the option .!!
my suggestion go for - Black or Deep pearl blue or REd if u dare! (I have an indica turbo in red and looks ferocious with those alloys)

Cheers !.. cheers: and yes touchscreen JVC EXAD looks awesome rather than stock crappy kenwood 2 din in that space above climate control
Total (Alloys 13K + EXAD 24K (- 6K stock kenwood) + HID silicon 8k )= 40 K approxand you got a machine ppl would drool over each time !
Old 7th April 2008, 15:40   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
hey how come the car costs 9lacs on road even with the ABS it should not be more than 8.5lacs, and one more question you meant 13 kms right? not 130kms test drive.
Dude the ex showroom SX ABS is 8,26914 + regn 37746 + ins 24278 + paking/handling 6185 + 3rd yr warranty 9035 + teflon 6200 . Total 9.10 on road Delhi !

Most Viewed