Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 18:53   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Hi sajan , isnt that in contrast to the basic principles of HID kits? the HID bulbs of which are supposed to have much longer life than the standard incandescent H4 that the majority of us use?
Hey hellstar,

I know but i guess you do have various types in HID 3000k, 6000k and 8000k but lot of people told not to invest on them as it was a waste of money.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 28th May 2008, 19:01   #122
rippergeo

since 2002 all our cars have been fitted with 130/100s and relays. not had any failures(yet)

Old 28th May 2008, 19:18   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hey hellstar,

I know but i guess you do have various types in HID 3000k, 6000k and 8000k but lot of people told not to invest on them as it was a waste of money.

Regards,
Sajan
AFAIK the reason for people opting out of HIDs is because of their poor performance in rainy driving conditions, where in the visibility is drastically reduced , but i have personally experienced in cars with HIDs less than 4300K the performance is comparable to H4 130W/110W.

the different types like you said are the colour temperatures and the higher you go in the colour temperature the more towards violet you get and worser will be your visibility during night driving especially in rainy conditions. At colour temperature below 4300K the lights would look as though your are running normal halogens.On the flip side you will be losing out on the cool look of the bluish - violet headlight but on the brighter side you would still get the benefits of the HID kit and not get pulled up by the police if you use HIDs less that 4300K

But the advantages in HID is that they would be using only 35W if i am not wrong where as the 130W/110W would be using as much power from the alternator and like wise the headlight unit will also get heated up as much due to the in efficiencies in the incandescent H4 lamps. Again its important that you have the projector setup in place the extract the full benefits of the HIDs,

take a look at a DIY HID installation in a verna using a bi xenon at the below link

Infiniti Bixenon Projectors Retrofit
Old 28th May 2008, 19:20   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
since 2002 all our cars have been fitted with 130/100s and relays. not had any failures(yet)
Same here boss same here , but i do make it a point to switch off the main beams at a signal if i expect to be stationary for more than ten minutes so to avoid the build up of heat.
Old 31st May 2008, 06:46   #125
rippergeo

this was a reply that i'd given to a PM. didnt see the sense in starting a new thread for it, so just posted it here.
anyway, its a comparison between two cars from totally different segments. wouldnt be fair to start a thread on it.

Sorry mods if its going off topic. feel free to delete it if necessary

Service intervals are same for both -10,000kms.
I think the verna costs around 2000-3000rs per service, which includes oil, oil filter, air filter, checkups, wash etc.

verna needs 4.5 litres of oil(IIRC). swift 3.1
filters are slightly more expensive in the verna, I think.

I find it difficult to compare service costs because, the verna is dad's and it gets standard treatment.

swift is my car, and I get it serviced every 5000kms. purely voluntary. I'm by its side all the time, even when its being washed, and I provide all the parts and materials myself, so usually pay only labour charges at the MASS, which is like 200-300Rs(Note-Air filter is Green, which is cleaned for me free of charge by peter)
oil-semisynthetic- 600rs for 3litres
oil filter 390Rs(changed every 10,000k)
air filter stock- 299/350 or something- best changed every 5000kms

labour charges at the local MASS is usually negligble.

swift is very economical to maintain, and I find it easy to do so. have not reqd any major parts till now.

I'm sure the verna can be just as economical, if its done the way i do with the swift.

performance-
verna will thrash the stock swift hollow. in a straight line. that will make up for perceived cornering disadvantages.
eg- cochin Thodupuzha in sport mode(driver)
almost entirely twists and turns.
swift- 1 hour 10 mins
verna- 45 mins
and my passengers felt waaaay more comfortable/safer in the verna.
the driver(me) felt less comfortable in the verna

the verna will take corners well.
if you look down at the speedo- you will be frequently surprised to see you're doing 20kmph higher than a similar corner in the swift.

it just doesnt feel as nice as the swift while turning thats all.

braking in the verna is waaaaay better than a swift- even if a VDI ABS is compared.

the pete'd swift just about keeps up with the verna. but will never be faster than the verna.

verna is more refined and the engined much more relaxed during high revs. this is, the ultimate petrol car substitute. no doubt.

economy
normal driving-Swift- 18kmpl
verna- 17kmpl

driving for mileage-S- 23kmpl
V-23kmpl

ripping S 14kmpl
V-10-12kmpl

the swift wins out in
1.being much more fun to drive
2.slightly cheaper to maintain
3.slight edge in FE
4.easier and more fun to drive slowly(verna is jerky in the city till you learn to modulate the throttle)

verna is
1.far more practical
2.much faster
3.much safer
4.built much better

verna is the clear winner
but i love the swift, and I just cant drive any other car now.

Note the same post has been put up here-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/34147-my-peted-swift-9.html#post848715

Old 6th July 2008, 12:40   #126
Team-BHP Support

A friend of mine is looking at buying the top of the line Verna CRDi SX with ABS. He had a few queries he wanted to know before booking the car.

On the hyundai website it says that the Verna CRDi SX comes with optional rear disc brakes. Is this true?

Does the SX variant have the following features:

- Trip computer
- Height adjustable driver's seat
- height adjustable steering wheel
- height adjustable front seat belts

Can any of you Verna SX owners confrim the above features.

Thanks a lot in advance guys.
Old 6th July 2008, 12:49   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
A friend of mine is looking at buying the top of the line Verna CRDi SX with ABS. He had a few queries he wanted to know before booking the car.

On the hyundai website it says that the Verna CRDi SX comes with optional rear disc brakes. Is this true?

Does the SX variant have the following features:

- Trip computer
- Height adjustable driver's seat
- height adjustable steering wheel
- height adjustable front seat belts

Can any of you Verna SX owners confrim the above features.

Thanks a lot in advance guys.
I own a Verna CRDi SX ABS

1. The rear disc brakes are standard in SX ABS no optional
2. Trip is there, but it is very rudimentary. You only get to set 1 trip and you get distance to empty. You do not get average and instaneous fuel consumption. But the average fuel consumption as measured by full-tank to full-tank and compared with the trip computer match up most of the time.
3. I don't think the seat belts are height adjustable, the other 2 are and are manually adjusted

Cheers,
Old 6th July 2008, 13:22   #128
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a bunch Diffsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
3. I don't think the seat belts are height adjustable, the other 2 are and are manually adjusted
That's weird considering that the Petrol Xi and XXi both have the front seatblets height adjustable. I thought it may be a typo in the website and was actually there on the CRDi SX variant.
Old 6th July 2008, 14:30   #129
BHPian

Verna CRDI SX on verge of 3rd free service

Thought would share my two cents on the ownership and driving experience with my Verna CRDI SX.

Car Details:
Hyundai Verna CRDI SX
Deep Pearl Blue Colour
Purchased in September 2007

ICE:
Pioneer HU
JBL GT5 4 Channel Amp
Infinity Speakers in front with the company tweeters in parallel
Pioneer 6X9 4 ways speakers in the rear parcel tray
Pioneer TS200 Tweeters

Tyres:
League 14" Alloys
Upgraded from OE tyres to Bridgestone GIII Potenza's 195/60 R14 86H but after a puncture due to a big nail jacking the sidewall lost one tyre and the a second also followed due to a stone hitting the side wall, plus couple of punctures on the other tyres, changed the whole set to Yokohama ES100 195/60 R14 and touchwoodood, things have been good.

Kilometers covered:
17060Kms in 10 months with the following trips and day to day city driving:
1. Bangalore - Shiridi - Pune - Bangalore (Superb high speed carriage - Verna's potential can be exploited to the hilt)
2. Bangalore - Pune - Bangalore
3. Bangalore - Madurai - Bangalore
4. Twice : Bangalore - Chennai - Mahabalipuram - Bangalore
5. Bangalore - Pondicherry - Bangalore
6. Twice : Bangalore - Harur - Bangalore
Boy racer attitude kicks in during the easy overtake of much larger cars

Mileage:
City - alternates between : 13 - 15kms/ltr (with / without AC)
Highways - alternates between : 17 - 19Kms/ltr ( with / without AC)

Pros:
Both drive & seating comfort
Great engine with ear to ear grin inducing acceleration
Good in car features including dead pedal which is a boon during highway drives
Silent cabin, better engine refinement, cabin space and build quality compared to my earlier Accent Viva CRDI
Makes you driver centric due to the vagueness creeping in handling after 140-150km speeds
180 - 195kms speed in a C segment diesel in stock form at a 9Lacs price is

Cons:
Features less compared to the Petrol Verna XXI which is cheaper
Handling in high speeds
OE lights - so upgraded to Philips 100/90 with Roots Relay and Roots wiring kit - much better now
Grabby brakes when discs are cold

Guys any ideas in improving the handling but would not like to lose out on GC as the area I live in, the roads are in dire need of surfacing.

Would coilover's help - which brand & cost
Would adding a front Strut bar, which is available on the US Verna (Accent) petrol version as option help

Please feel free to comment on the experience shared and also share your ideas and views.

Please belt up & drive safe.

Sats
Old 6th July 2008, 16:15   #130
rippergeo

great review sats.
all the suspension mods I'm aware of also reduce the GC. I've been told that is not a problem, but am yet to test drive a suspension modded verna yet. Had promised le diablo that I would do it for him as he's keen on getting an install. not able to find the time yet.
will let you know as soon as the TD is over.

theoretically strut braces should help. only doubts are about crash behaviour. if it comes standard in the US version....maybe.

Last edited by rippergeo : 6th July 2008 at 16:17.

Old 6th July 2008, 16:31   #131
BHPian

put in a bilstein suspension system compatible for verna the GC will be lowered and it will bottom out!! for sure but the handling is gonna leave you astonished!!! the trick is the springs are very stiff ..reducing the body roll considerably and also they are designed such that they tend to sit down literally as the speed increases!! meaning the stability remains intact!! but then again.
the steering is the culprit, i do crazy speeds with my stock verna. you have to be ultra light with the steering thats all. this typically can lead to reduced body roll too
Old 7th July 2008, 17:53   #132
Senior - BHPian

nice write up both sats and rippergeo , now i have someone who can actualy back up my mileage numbers that i keep getting consistantly!

Sameel , i agree the handling on a verna with bilsteins would do wonders to the vehicles handling but then aint a lower GC asking for trouble especially when the car sees so much of highway driving ?
Old 7th July 2008, 18:21   #133
Senior - BHPian

yesterday we went to Yelagiri in my Brother's Verna Crdi SX ABS.
I ripped the car till 190 kmph and th car was very stable and no one inside the car felt that speed.
Handling was good and too brakes(may be cos of ABS).
But everyone (3 members) in the rear seats complaints about the seating probelm/position.
they felt very uncomfortable and we did only 500+ kms.
Old 7th July 2008, 19:01   #134
BHPian

Thanks Rippergeo, Sameel & Hellstar

Bilstein & Koni apart from most of the custom suspension kits offer increased handling characterstics but for a day to day normal usage apart from the once a while highway blast, the advantages seems limited in terms of ROI and GC, also with the pain of maintenance.

May be once Rippergeo is done with the suspension upgrade for his friend, we can get real world benefits of the same specifically to the Verna.

Do you guys know any good custom tuners in Bangalore, who would be able to address this suspension upgrade. I can meet this person and share for all our benefit.

Off the above topic :

Advaith Hyundai use a company called SS Concepts based out of Whitefield, Bangalore for the body kits and the guy does a decent job. Had even met him once for my Accent Viva CRDI but did not go ahead as I was on the verge of selling it. Saw a Honda Accord second version with a kit similar to the company kit and a Corsa. The finish and detail were quite decent. Advaith was also offering a Kyara colour with a body kit and upsized alloys & tyres a couple of months back. The body kit was somewhere around 30 - 35K with painting. So touched base with KitUp in Coimbatore, where in his charges were as follows:

Front Skirt - Rs.4700
Rear Skirt - Rs.4700
Left Skirt - Rs.3500
Right Skirt - Rs.3500
Spoiler - Rs.4500
Front Upper Grill - Rs.3500
Front Lower Grill - Rs.2500
Painting of all the Skirts & Spoiler - Rs.5000
TOTAL - Rs.31,900/-

He aslo does Headlight Colour Finish - Rs.4500/- and Taillight painting Rs.1500/-

Only limitation is we need to take the car to Coimbatore for getting the above done, take 2 days.

Hope the above is of help to all
Old 7th July 2008, 19:03   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
yesterday we went to Yelagiri in my Brother's Verna Crdi SX ABS.
I ripped the car till 190 kmph and th car was very stable and no one inside the car felt that speed.
Handling was good and too brakes(may be cos of ABS).
But everyone (3 members) in the rear seats complaints about the seating probelm/position.
they felt very uncomfortable and we did only 500+ kms.

Which year / month of make is your Verna ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks