Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 17:38   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 2.2 Test Drive

BACKGROUND
ok guys after waiting for 2 years for the new scorpio i gave up 5 months back and sold my old one and and purchased the optra magnum but since the last 2 months was having secong thoughts and infact i almost sold the magnum thinking i would buy the new scorpio as its going to be launched shortly i am a big fan of the scorpio and the safari was like yuckk coudnt even think of it

TEST REPORT
So to the topic called up the m&m showroom here in mangalore today and suprise they say the new m hawk had arrived here on saturday same day as the launch in mumbai? i am really excited and ask for a test drive they say they will send the hawk to my house but i cant wait and tell them i will come to the showroom i call up some contacts and tell them my magnum is for sale and drive over to the showroom

well i knew there were no cosmetic changes still it was a letdown only diff was the m hawk badge above the front fender the interior is the same but the model i saw had bucket seats in the middle row which slide back and recline there is a reverse parking sensor built into the rearview mirror,air scoop on bonet is functional

i then take it for a test drive the engine is smooth and silent pickup is ok but nothing like what i was expecting form the new engine or maybe after driving my magnum i was expecting 2 much? tested the brakes abs works but still lacking on the confidence as before

no airbags but has cruise control(coudnt test it in mangalore and never will its of no use here) the rain sensitive wipers were switching on without the rain? lol and coudnt test the light sensitive headlamps during daytime

alloy wheels are the same old dated ones in the previous scorpio and they are now company fitted and not optional as before( i find the wheel caps are better looking then these alloys)

didnt have time to test the music system or the audio controls on the steering
ride was ok on the front seat dont know about the middle and rear
my opinion for 11lakh+ on road this new scorpio is a big letdown

pros
  • abs,middle row bucket seats,rain sensitive wipers,light sensitive headlamps,audio controls on steering,reverse parking sensor,cruise control and of course the new engine
cons
  • no airbags,no leather seats,no electric sidemirrors when you are paying 11lakh + cmon even 5 lakh cars are having them now
  • no way i can they justify the 1 lakh+ hike that 2 without airbags
  • for abs(max 20 to 25k)
  • reverse parking sensor(available for 2 to 3 k)
  • audio control on steering (steering remote available for 1.5k)
  • rain sensitive wipers no idea but might be 1 or 2 k
  • cruise control -totally useless here in and around mangalore but cost wise maybe 12 to 15k
  • except for the new engine all the other features should cost 40 to 45k
the new safari looks much more attractive now is this the end of the great scorpio?

MOD NOTE: Please format your post properly so that its readable. I have tried to fix it somewhat

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd December 2007 at 19:39. Reason: Poor formatting. fixed somewhat
Old 3rd December 2007, 19:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

DocKap, I am really sorry to hear that you are so dissapointed with the new Scorpio mHawk. It sure is a big let down in terms of safety and essential should be features. Atleast thats where Safari seems like a more value for Money buy.

Anyways the features offered in this trim are quiet futuristic. Atleast M&M gave it a thought over other peers in the indian industry. So Kudos to them
Old 3rd December 2007, 21:05   #3
BHPian

Its really disappointing for me that a 11+ Lac car does not have air bags, Climate control.
Audio controls on steering wheels will be void if you upgrade the stock music system, how many of us will like the kenwood stock player?
Old 4th December 2007, 00:04   #4
BHPian

this is so strange am i the only one who has td a hawk cmon its 3 days now since the launch where are the experts with their opinion
Old 4th December 2007, 00:09   #5
BHPian

i should have test driven it by now, but for the accident the TD vehicle met with on its way from stock yard after some PDI.

Btw, can you elaborate on the NVH of the engine and the mileage claim by the sales guys??
Old 4th December 2007, 11:49   #6
BHPian

Dockap, is there any change in the exterior paint design? The website shows a pattern of grey boxes on the driver door and bonnet of the new m-HAWK.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well dude how does the suspension work esp when going over bad stretches of the highway from Mlr to Udupi. Or why dont you try the route from the highway to tannirbhavi
Old 4th December 2007, 12:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

IMO pricing is too high with other options available, rest all is marketing gimmic. They should work on their pricing or perhaps the market forces will force them to in due course of time.
Old 4th December 2007, 12:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have been waiting long for the new scorpio and i dont see good reviews.Worst part is that im planning to sell away my Sierra as i cant keep both Scorpio and Sierra at the same time.
Should i go for the new Scorpio?Advise me
Old 4th December 2007, 14:00   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Talk of a *fresh* review! How was the on-road behaviour? Have they actually worked out improvements from the suspension?
Old 4th December 2007, 14:22   #11
BHPian

i am a noob on the tecnical aspect so all i can say is suspension is better than the previous scorpio but still not comparable to a car
maybe it needs a new gearbox to manage 140bhp?
new gearbox ,140bhp and dual airbags will justify the 1 lakh hike in price i think .cmon guys some expert reviews please
Old 4th December 2007, 14:54   #12
BHPian

My grouses with scorpio were-

1) Brakes-they would fade heavily.

2) Ride- was very bouncy.

3) Handling- was not cohesive, rear and front has no co-ordination.

Since you drove it in Mangalore,you would have come across bad roads and undulating surfaces wherein the below 2 grouses can be opined upon. In Bangalore a mere test drive cannot reveal as much as in your area!

Your take please.
Old 4th December 2007, 15:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

This very objective review, coming from a self-proclaimed Scorpio fan as dockap, does not bode well for the Scorpio 2.2, atleast in its current price range.
Old 4th December 2007, 15:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow - we already have a review. Not sounds good !!

I thought this vehicle would be a vast improvement over the older vehicle. I guess now Safari makes more sense. The EX Model is a steal at that price and VX should be a killer giving everything at the same price as that of this new scorpio.

Are the new so claimed prices of 11 + OTR confirmed ? I find it too steep !!
Old 4th December 2007, 15:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

I will continue to wait for the hybrid Scorpio, with 8 airbags, sat nav, traction control, automatic transmission 16-speaker Marc Levinson audio system.
Thankfully, I dont think I'll be buying one of these things soon.

Most Viewed