Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2008, 00:06   #31
BHPian

Man you safari owners are too sensitive, I tell you. In my Judo the thermostat and condensor drain pipe is so bad that after 1 or 2 hours driving , it will start throwing chunks of ice through the vent ......hehe.....

Puff of white smoke can be tested by placing a newspaper or a blotting paper at the exhaust while you crank. If the paper gets stained by oil bad news or else n o problems
Old 28th January 2008, 10:27   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Puff of white smoke during cranking, before the engine starts when the engine is cold is unburned fuel vapor being pumped out the exhaust pipe. The white is tiny droplets of fuel. In a diesel, this cranking smoke indicates defective glow plugs, but may also come from low compression caused by worn rings or valves.

You should have it checked up

Thnx
I also get white smoke just after the engine starts (cold start).
XBOX also reports this problem.

My vehicle has not yet completed 3K KMs. This 2.2 was released ~ Oct '07.

If there is a glow plug problem, then cold start in this winter season would have resulted in long cranks, which is not the case.

Worn rings / valves would also should not be case in almost new engine as in my case.

The unburnt fuel reason seems to be the most plausible.
Old 28th January 2008, 10:55   #33
Team-BHP Support

This can be nothing, and related to just cold engine parts(Condensation).
But if there is white smoke during normal running this means
Low compression/Bad injectors
Old 28th January 2008, 11:39   #34
Team-BHP Support

Do not worry about the white plume of smoke at the start on cold mornings. It always happens when the car is parked outside in the cold all night and then we start it early in the morning. Typical winter morning phenomenon.

As I have seen from my experience this smoke is all the more noticable if you crank the enging without depressing the clutch pedal fully.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
As I have seen from my experience this smoke is all the more noticable if you crank the enging without depressing the clutch pedal fully.
Is that why TM recommends that we depress the clutch pedal while cranking the engine ?
Old 28th January 2008, 13:36   #36
BHPian

Sirs.....i did not understand - "depress". Does it mean that you shud press the clutch fully & then start the engine???? I have a practice to keep the car always in neutral & hence do not fall in this category.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:40   #37
Team-BHP Support

I doubt white smoke has to do with clutch much.
When you depress the clutch(even in neutral) it reduces the load on engine by a slight amount.
At cold start even small load can make a difference.

So if you get white smoke only at cold start, its not a big worry, but if you get white smoke always, then there is serious trouble.

The least risky smoke is black smoke
Old 18th February 2008, 21:42   #38
BHPian

@xbox360: pardon me for bumping this thread!! but is there any further update on that white smoke prblem on your beast?
Old 19th February 2008, 09:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
@xbox360: pardon me for bumping this thread!! but is there any further update on that white smoke prblem on your beast?
The update is that it has mysteriously vanished. I have had a few tank fulls since then and i do no notice the problem anymore (i am guessing it was probably due to bad fuel).
Old 19th November 2008, 15:47   #40
BANNED

Please tell us here about the wiring problem you faced with the 4x4 system.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Please tell us here about the wiring problem you faced with the 4x4 system.
Here is the mail i wrote to Tata execs with the related details --

Sub: Pitiful quality assurance from Tata could have put my life in danger

My name is YYY and i was one of the first buyers to buy the new 2.2 Safari EX 4X4 at launch time last year (Concorde Motors -- Hyderabad). I have since had niggling issues with the vehicle that i have overlooked to date. But with the recent event with this vehicle over last weekend i am appalled by the Quality assurance of Tata and the poor reliability of your flagship product --

On Saturday afternoon (25th April 08) i was on my way home when i decided to engage 4H on a unpaved portion of the road. Within 100 mtrs of my engaging 4H there was a loud noise from under the driver seat area and the vehicle came to a sudden halt. The vehicle was dead as a doornail, no display at all in the console and no power even for the central locking.

After a long toil i managed to get help from one of the Tata dealers -- Malik who sent a vehicle to tow my car. These people hoisted the vehicle and found that electrical cables had gotten caught in the 4WD system and hence the vehicle lost all power and came to a halt. I have taken multiple pictures of the vehicles underbelly to capture this state of failure.

This is not the first time that i have engaged 4H, but this is probably the first time since the vehicle came back from retro fitment that was applied to my vehicle by Concorde Motors a few weeks back suo moto. I am thanking my stars that i did not plan any serious off-roading at the time of this failure and was luckily on plain surface. If this had happened during any more challenging situation i would have put my life and that of my family in grave danger.

Further to this since Saturday there has been no communication from Malik cars. Upon my repeated follow up i have now been informed that the car was sent by Malik to Concorde Motors without consulting with me first. As if that were not enough no one from Concorde bothered to get in touch with me and inform me about the current status and the plan of action. Upon my checking with Concorde they have now told me that they have not even bothered to examine the car till now.

On the whole i am disillusioned by your quality in both in terms of Production and post delivery service and maintenance that too for your flagship product. I hope you take this matter seriously and get back to me on how and why such a failure could have transpired and what i as a customer can expect from you to correct this situation and reinstate my confidence in Tata products which as of now is totally shaken and as things stand i would be hesitant in recommending a Tata product to anyone. (if you so require i can email the photographs of the failure to you on request)

FYI the vehicle no is DDD (regd in the name of XYZ.) and the vehicle is now with Concorde Motors Hyderabad.
Old 19th November 2008, 18:30   #42
BANNED

This is very interesting - if you don't mind, please post some pictures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks