Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2007, 14:54   #1
BHPian

My 2.2 Safari experience thread

My Silver 2.2 EX 4X4 has clocked 1000 kms today (1st service done at 850 kms). There are a few niggles which are from day one like the 2.2 VTT sticker missing, the left door speaker cover falling off whenever i shut the door and the reading lamp cover that fell off on my first drive home from the service centre.
TATA service has been unable to address these issues till date as they do not have spares for 2.2 yet (this is what they tell me) . Apart from these, i have had no issues major or minor with the vehicle.

The 3 accessories added so far are 1)art leather seat covers (crushed look) , 2) 3M sunfilm and 3) the reverse camera and sensors (this i got installed from Concorde motors itself). Though i have an inclination to add a crashgaurd, i am still weighing the advantages and disadvantages of having one installed.

The vehicle has consistently given me a mileage of 10 (on normal diesel and not premium); i am yet to see if this goes up now that the 1st service is done.

On the whole i am very happy with the vehicle so far. It drives so much better for a vehicle its size and the space inside and the sense of safety is amazing.

Thats it for now.
Old 14th December 2007, 15:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

please dont mind to post some pics specially the seat cover pics
Old 14th December 2007, 16:15   #3
BHPian

xbox, good of you to start this thread and congrats that you crossed the magical 1kkm mark, i know how it feels, the run-in :-) i am around 500km now and looking forward to the first service eagerly.

my experience so far has been great, i am simply enjoying the ride and power, or can say that i am too excited right at the moment to notice anything much..:-)

a few niggles that have come up so far is that the co-passenger seat seems to be making a rattling noise when occupied and then there is the slight rear door rattle ubiquitous to all safaris as it seems to me, reading many a posts regarding the same. hopefully both these things can be fixed easily.

the clutch is a bit heavy on my vehicle i feel, maybe other longtime safari owners can throw some light if this is normal and would become lighter with age or if this needs some look into, for that matter i was driving a bolero before the safari and bolero clutches are nowhere on the lighter side..

reading about the hissing noise when taking a full turn earlier in this forum has put my mind at ease, no worries on that front.

there is a grinding noise seemingly coming from the rear wheels when accelerating in 1 and 2 gears, sounds like the tire is throwing pebbles to the metal underbody or something of that kind, anyone find the same in their vehicles?

regarding the speaker cover falling off, you can open it up and slightly widen the three metal v shaped clips that hold the cover in place so that they fit into the recesses tightly, i noticed them while fitting speakers on my vehicle.

another thing i'd like to know from other 2.2 users is the speeds at which 4th and 5th gears are being engaged by them. personally i feel that rpm of 2.5k is ideal for a shift to higher gear, but by that time the speeds are already about 60 for 4th gear and about 80 for the 5th.. anything below that and the engine hums a little and i can feel some amount of vibration. can find out more only after the first service, presently sticking to the recommended below 2k rpm as far as i can.

any advice would be great. cheers all!
Old 14th December 2007, 17:50   #4
BHPian

xbox, it seems that your PDI has not been done properly. I have no issues no rattles so far, i did observed few drops of oil leaks for 4 days but they suddenly vanished and there is sign of it now.

aburagohain, i have completed 600km and i shift gears at 2k rpm and not at 2500 as mentioed by you. Anyway you can feel that from engine noise and the stress on engine tells you to shift gears. I follow that.
Old 14th December 2007, 18:36   #5
BHPian

@bruty
i am changing the gears around 2k rpm only right now till the running-in is done, the fear of harming the engine always is there at the back of mind, something i would never like to do, the safari is such a dear..:-)

you are absolutely right, the engine feel itself is a good indicator, rpm meter is just an add on. what i have noticed is that the rpm falls pretty fast once the clutch is engaged and considering the small time that the
safari gearbox requires for changing, by the time i disengage the clutch and accelerate again, the rpm falls down quite a lot and the vibrations show up during the initial acceleration in that particular higher gear. what i feel is that if we can take the rpm to about 2.5k and then initiate the gear change, by the time the next higher gear is ready to pull, we would have enough rpm left and as such can reduce the vibrations, guys correct me if i am wrong.

maybe the gear shift would be smoother with age too and it'd not take as much time shifting, that would be ideal i guess.
Old 15th December 2007, 10:33   #6
BHPian

The 3 accessories added so far are 1)art leather seat covers (crushed look) , 2) 3M sunfilm and 3) the reverse camera and sensors (this i got installed from Concorde motors itself). Though i have an inclination to add a crashgaurd, i am still weighing the advantages and disadvantages of having one installed.
--------------------------------------------------------

The rear bumper practically no space for sensors. Where have they fillted it ??
Old 15th December 2007, 11:45   #7
BHPian

[quote=xbox360;657691]

--------------------------------------------------------------
P.S: How much did you pay for the Reverse camera and sensor ??
Old 15th December 2007, 16:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
My Silver 2.2 EX 4X4 has clocked 1000 kms today

The vehicle has consistently given me a mileage of 10 (on normal diesel and not premium); i am yet to see if this goes up now that the 1st service is done.
Great mileage but how many fills ups could you have possibly done in 1000Km?

Last edited by jyobeb : 15th December 2007 at 16:17.
Old 15th December 2007, 21:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post

regarding the speaker cover falling off, you can open it up and slightly widen the three metal v shaped clips that hold the cover in place so that they fit into the recesses tightly, i noticed them while fitting speakers on my vehicle.
!
This is the first hing i tried, but unfortunately the issue is that 2 of the clips are missing .
Old 15th December 2007, 21:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Great mileage but how many fills ups could you have possibly done in 1000Km?

I top off fuel before it touches half tank. I have had 3 fillings (or was it 4) so far.
Old 15th December 2007, 21:13   #11
BHPian

[quote=kingshukt;658512]
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------
P.S: How much did you pay for the Reverse camera and sensor ??

I am not wizard at this, but i see a couple of black round plastic things embedded in my rear bumper, i am guessing these are the sensors. The system has 3 features -- rear view camera, the beeping sound that warns you when you approach a object, the distance to the object behind in 'cms'.
As i got the damn thing fitted by Tata itself it was a bit expensive -- 18k (i have read elsewhere in this thread that it should cost you in the range of 10-12k when done outside, the only downside being that your electrical warranty may get affected).
Old 15th December 2007, 22:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
This is the first hing i tried, but unfortunately the issue is that 2 of the clips are missing .
the clips tend to fall of into the recess of the plastic panels while fitting the cover, if i remember correctly, the plastic panel can be opened by taking off a screw that is at the bottom of the panel, you have to look up from under the door. try this, you might find your missing clips, then it'd be a small matter of widening them and fitting back in.
cheers!
Old 17th December 2007, 08:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
please dont mind to post some pics specially the seat cover pics
Sorry i could not get to it over this weekend, will try and have photos uploaded soon.
Old 17th December 2007, 11:23   #14
BHPian

@xbox360

Congrats on the 1K mark!!

How much did that art leather covers cost you??

Crash guard - I find that the BMW X5/ MERC has one of the simplest, in design & a stunning ALL STEEL crash guard. I am sure that you can get it customised to suit your Safari too
Old 17th December 2007, 22:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
@xbox360
Congrats on the 1K mark!!
How much did that art leather covers cost you??
Thanks m3 . The seat covers costed me 5500/-.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks