Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 15:37   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim Bhai View Post
Hi Safari Club,
I am a new Team-BHP member. I own an Alto now but wanted to own a Safari since i saw it first time. Decided to book now. getting 1.65L for my 3 years old Alto.. I have a question and I think this is the best thread to post it because of two reasons: 1- Srini thread (Safari) is most active one. 2- All Safari owners visit this on a daily basis. My Question is - A LX or EX-4WD? I went trough and agree completly to a similar thread where we concluded that " If an EX - then go for 4WD". Price diff is around 2.25L (On road) between LX and EX 4WD. All goodies what you get with a EX came upto 75K ( I am not interested in any one infact because I love the driving seat and performance only)- Then also one needs to pay 1.25L extra for 4WD.
Please help me with following:
1- CITY RIDE - How different is a 4WD ride is from a LX in city driving - Bangalore? Do you need it ever?
2- OFF ROADING (May be once in 6 months i would plan to go)- Anything specific what a 4WD can do and a 2WD cant do in extreame conditions like driving down from ooty (39 hair pin bends riad) in a full rainy conditions..? Does 2WD lacks off roading completely? Since i have waited for years to own a safari i dont want to sit in my LX and feel like - had i invested something more....i would have also have done this.. Please note when i say off roading - i dont intend to participate in Mud/Rock/Vally rally.etc. For me It would just be needed to take a muddy shortcut/diversion on highways(what my Alto cant dream of also) or as i said little fun with family in places like Ooty, Kerela, Kodai etc.. where i take my safari to a uphill a little or very close to lake waters etc (Make my own road). No Risky things at all with family on board.
3- Re Sale - I know its not great all Safari models but Is it same for all models or I will lose more if i go for a EX-4WD? I will keep it for minimum 5 Years.

Have any one of you ever regretted after owning a 2WD.and not a 4WD...(Only due to limited performance on certain terrians.. Not the interiors)?

Looking forward to hearing from you all..

Regards,

Karim Bhai (Very soon I will start Re-Claiming it)
My 2 cents. If you can go in for a 4WD then go for it. As Tanveer said, for a 5 year ownership, resale value won't be a killer. It is always better to go in for a 4WD for a SUV for those I wish I had 4WD moments. Agreed that you won't miss or need 4WD for muddy tracks or hair-pin bends but what if you decide to go off-road (especially since its a SUV)? A 4WD will perform better in off-roading stints than a 2WD. As far as using 4WD once in a year or 6 months is concerned, it has already been addressed in another thread by GD Bhai, so no issues on that. Whatever you decide, please keep us posted and best of luck.
Old 17th July 2008, 18:20   #302
BHPian

If you not going to do serious offroading a 4x4 may not be required after all. Also a 4x2 will have basic offroad capabilities. For someone like me who never does real offroading the 4x2 makes more sense. never regretted owning 4x2... thats just my way of looking at it.
Old 17th July 2008, 23:40   #303
BHPian

Hi,
I like my safari a lot. I never looked back at my decision and my BULL has never let me down.But,here on seeing some off-road thread's......I some time feel that,I should have gone for a 4x4.But,I really enjoy my BULL for what it is.

But,Safari is a SUV which people go for it with passion.....So,go as your heart says and you will never regret your decision Karim bhai.

Last edited by bglsrini : 17th July 2008 at 23:42.
Old 18th July 2008, 15:44   #304
BHPian

Manufacturing defects/Service issues

After doing a lot of research I bought the new Tata Safari 2.2 LX in Black colour in April 2008 from Om Sai Motors, Mumbai. The new engine is really good and responsive. The cabin is much better in sound proofing and there is very little noise of the new diesel engine inside the car.

The interiors are spacious and exterior looks are good too. I have driven the car for about 3000 Km and it is giving me a mileage of about 9 kmpl in the city. The back seat is a little too stiff for comfortable long drives and AC is not very effective in summer.

Still, overall it would have been a great choice had it not been for the worst quality of service from both the dealer and even the customer service manager of Tata Motors and some niggling manufacturing faults in the car.

From day 1, there is a rattling noise in the two front seats. The right side suspension also makes squeaking sounds all the time even on smooth roads. The side cladding has changed colours and showing white spots on several places.

What is most annoying is that out of the 2.5 months that I have had the car, I had to take the car 3 times to the service centre and not a single time did they return the car on the promised date and free of faults. Out of the 70 days that I have owned the car, the car has spent more than 10 days at the workshop. Every time I am told the problem is resolved and every time I find out the same thing reappearing a couple of days later.

There is no apology or compensation from either the dealer or Tata Motors for wasting my time and money. This is my fourth car and it is the most disappointing experience that I have had so far.
Old 18th July 2008, 16:02   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglsrini View Post
Hi,
I like my safari a lot. I never looked back at my decision and my BULL has never let me down.But,here on seeing some off-road thread's......I some time feel that,I should have gone for a 4x4.But,I really enjoy my BULL for what it is.

But,Safari is a SUV which people go for it with passion.....So,go as your heart says and you will never regret your decision Karim bhai.
Thanks team for your replies.. I also read the entire thread on safari offroading and 4WD. Decided to go for a 4WD option EX. Had TATA had a LX-4WD option - it would have been great for people like us who are keen about performance and not interior cushions. Need to finalize on loan part and then clear my present alto.. I think the wait time for a 4WD EX (Black) might be longer after booking. Have lots of plans but need to book it first.. Will keep you all updated as i book it.. Thanks again everyone...

Regards,
Karim Bhai
Old 18th July 2008, 17:28   #306
Senior - BHPian

I havent faced such problems (read my Ownership thread), if you are not happy with the service results just dont take the delivery.

The front idler arm needs greasing or tightening if its squeaking.

The spots can be due to hard water, are you washing with hard water ??

Seat squeaking problem was reported once by someone, i guess (turbanman ??) but was resolved in a single visit. Change your A.S.S

This is all that I can recommend, noone has reported other such problems in this forum atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
After doing a lot of research I bought the new Tata Safari 2.2 LX in Black colour in April 2008 from Om Sai Motors, Mumbai. The new engine is really good and responsive. The cabin is much better in sound proofing and there is very little noise of the new diesel engine inside the car.

The interiors are spacious and exterior looks are good too. I have driven the car for about 3000 Km and it is giving me a mileage of about 9 kmpl in the city. The back seat is a little too stiff for comfortable long drives and AC is not very effective in summer.

Still, overall it would have been a great choice had it not been for the worst quality of service from both the dealer and even the customer service manager of Tata Motors and some niggling manufacturing faults in the car.

From day 1, there is a rattling noise in the two front seats. The right side suspension also makes squeaking sounds all the time even on smooth roads. The side cladding has changed colours and showing white spots on several places.

What is most annoying is that out of the 2.5 months that I have had the car, I had to take the car 3 times to the service centre and not a single time did they return the car on the promised date and free of faults. Out of the 70 days that I have owned the car, the car has spent more than 10 days at the workshop. Every time I am told the problem is resolved and every time I find out the same thing reappearing a couple of days later.

There is no apology or compensation from either the dealer or Tata Motors for wasting my time and money. This is my fourth car and it is the most disappointing experience that I have had so far.
Old 18th July 2008, 19:46   #307
BHPian

Quote:

sorry for hi-jacking this thread but just couldn't help noticing but Ajit, I think you have already made your point on this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ast-pansy.html

and here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...y-service.html

and you have the 3rd one listed below.

Writing wherever possible to increase your thread count or such a strong hatred towards TATA???

M2S

Last edited by married2speed : 18th July 2008 at 19:48.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:19   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
i have used the 2.2 for 5000 kms now and not a single problem that i can complain about. Of all the cars that we owned in our family this one gave the most trouble free first 5000kms. also i was prepared for some issues in the safari as i feel there is no other SUV in this price band. Moreover i am positively tuned to face some issues that might come up in future. i am sure most people who recently bout teh safari also know this.

Anyone planning to buy the safari - please dont expect a landcruiser like SUV experiece for 10 laks. Otherwise its better for such people to buy an innova (MUV) for that money and be happy.

Last edited by chaxy : 18th July 2008 at 20:20.
Old 18th July 2008, 21:50   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim Bhai View Post
Thanks team for your replies.. I also read the entire thread on safari offroading and 4WD. Decided to go for a 4WD option EX. Had TATA had a LX-4WD option - it would have been great for people like us who are keen about performance and not interior cushions. Need to finalize on loan part and then clear my present alto.. I think the wait time for a 4WD EX (Black) might be longer after booking. Have lots of plans but need to book it first.. Will keep you all updated as i book it.. Thanks again everyone...

Regards,
Karim Bhai
All the best Karim Bhai......welcome to the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
i have used the 2.2 for 5000 kms now and not a single problem that i can complain about. Of all the cars that we owned in our family this one gave the most trouble free first 5000kms. also i was prepared for some issues in the safari as i feel there is no other SUV in this price band. Moreover i am positively tuned to face some issues that might come up in future. i am sure most people who recently bout teh safari also know this.

Anyone planning to buy the safari - please dont expect a landcruiser like SUV experiece for 10 laks. Otherwise its better for such people to buy an innova (MUV) for that money and be happy.
Well said chaxy.........
Old 19th July 2008, 08:42   #310
BHPian

Hi Ajit....I do not exactly know what compensation TM could give you, however, if you "just write a email to TM", they are more than happy to assist you. This has been my personal experience. Also because Tata has been my second car as well.

Please do write a email to the regional office & they will help you visit another dealer. You need not necessarily visit the same dealer. To add to this, TM is taking Safari complaints seriously too & they would want to improve the overall experience.

As people quote, you may not get a landcruiser feeling at a 10L bracket...however it is the best VFM on earth today, at the price quoted!!
Old 19th July 2008, 09:05   #311
Senior - BHPian

aa
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post

WELL SAID
I too totally agree with chaxy.

I have now driven my BEAR for 12900 kms in about 8.5 months and (leaving aside my 1st days blip) I have never regretted my decision of 'Reclaiming My Life'

cheers: to Tata Motors for manufacturing such a marvelous piece of engineering, as its the heart(engine) that really matters

and

3 cheers: to Team-bhp as without the help and support of this site I would have never taken the plunge.
Old 19th July 2008, 20:47   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
aa

cheers: to Tata Motors for manufacturing such a marvelous piece of engineering, as its the heart(engine) that really matters
Add to that the silk like ride quality. Among all the cars i have driven in India, safari easily has the best ride quality. These days the roads resemble dried up river beds and the safari suspension system make you totally unaware of what is happening below. It just glides over any type of terrain like a wild cat. Amazing!

Last edited by chaxy : 19th July 2008 at 20:49.
Old 8th August 2008, 12:44   #313
BHPian

wow...... one more trip finalised to enjoy my BULL

Yes,

After a short plan,We have planned for a get together of my P.G friends next weekend.

Yes,its going to be The outskirts of ooty the most admired place of mine.

MUKURTHY PEAK forest guest house. The wild life warden said we need a 4x4 to go there.My bull is not the one, but will surely not let me down,I am banking on my BULL cheers:

But,can some one guide me about the place if they have been there before.

waiting for my trip ................

Last edited by bglsrini : 8th August 2008 at 12:46.
Old 21st August 2008, 16:05   #314
BHPian

My most awaited trip ........and my Bull has done 25600kms as of now.

I did my most awaited trip.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html

8 months of ownership was great and i am doing an average of 3200kms per month and have completed 25600kms as of now.My Bull is giving me an average of 10.5 - 11 kmpl and I enjoy my Bull.

I had a problem in my trip where i crossed the 25000km mark with my bull.There was a hissing noise and when checked up the A/C ideler bearing was worn out.It is advisable to change at 25000km.

Then when i was completing my trip i got to the plains and at Gudelpet police junction,the steering got jammed and tight i was slow and i parked the BULL and checked the tyres for flat and then understood that there is a problem with the pump.I called Prerana help line and was diverted to URS Carz, Mysore.I slowly reached mysore and checked there and they said being it a sunday they will open it only on monday.So,i checked with them and under their confirmation drove slwoly to Bangalore.Then next day Prerana people took my BUll from my house and analysed and said the Air dummy in the pump fell off and so the problem of oil not circulating resulting in the hardness of steering.they corrected it and said it will not repeat again.

But,the trip to Mukurthi Peak,fishing guest house was a great experience.
Old 8th September 2008, 18:56   #315
BHPian

Can anyone update with the Fog lamp bulb spec used for tata safari. One of mine is blown and I have to change that. I guess I am not getting enough time to go to service station. So thinking of buying it aftermarket and fixing it myself

Most Viewed