Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 14:19   #1
BHPian

2.2 VVT VX 4x4 Safari - Problem

It's been more then a month since I got my beast. It's a black one. It took sometime to tame the beast, as my pervious vehicle was a Esteem. It was a dream come true as I had waited for nearly 1 year for the 2.2. I must thank everyone at tbhp, as I got to know about the 2.2 here. And I have no regret waiting for so long.

Before buying I was aware of the 2 basic problems in the 2.2 (thanks to tbhp again). One was the self starter and the other being the steering rod/pipe. On delivery I asked them if the 2 problems had been taken care of in my vehicle. They replied in the affermative. However, ever since I started driving the beast I was aware of a noice in the front right wheel that got transferred to the steering. This happened everytime I went over a certain types of bad road. This was not there evrytime it went over bad roads. During the first service I complained. When they returned my vehicle they told me it was taken care of. After a couple of days the same noise re-surfaced. I took it to them twice after that and still nothing happened.

Since I am going to Mukteshwar this Friday I just wanted to get this irritant out of my way. This place I am going to is at 7,500 ft and did not want to take any chance. Finally on Sunday I blew my lid and even called the Tata guys. To test/check the car 3 guys sat with me. After 30/45 min they still could not catch it and were saying that everything was OK. Finally I took over the steering and within 5 min I made them hear the sound when we went over 3 mini speed brakers. After that on turning the steering extreme right there was a grinding sound. The 3 guys looked and each other and promtly said that I need to leave the vehicle with them for 2 days.

The problem is with the steering column/assembly and that they are going to replace it at no cost. I should get my car back tom morning. Those of you who had got the delivery from the first lot better watch out.

Since I gained so much from this forum I thought it important and my duty to let you all know. I am still in love with my beast and have no regrets, but felt cheated and let down my the service guys.
Old 17th December 2007, 14:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Tata dealers were supposed to recall the vehicles and do a retrofit on all safari's sold without the fixes done. It appears that your vehicle did not get the retrofit. Check for starter motor issue also.
Old 17th December 2007, 15:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Like I mentioned in another thread, these are early batch glitches on the 2.2. Tata should sort out these in the next lot of cars.
Old 17th December 2007, 15:08   #4
BHPian

On saturday night, for the first time, I had a problem with the starter. It just did not start at all. After about 20 min it started. I have told the service guys about it and they tell me that the will analyse it and let me know what the problem is. The fuel tank was on the reserve, with the yellow light on. Could this be a problem. Or do you think the starter is the culprit.
Old 17th December 2007, 15:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Speak to the Tata Motors regional office - the retrofit (power steering hose + starter) was to be done before the initial lot left the showrooms and if the dealer hasnt done it he has to bear the consequences.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

What kind of noise are you getting and when was the vehicle delivered to you (dates) ??

How much did you run in before noticing this problem??
Old 17th December 2007, 17:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Speak to the Tata Motors regional office - the retrofit (power steering hose + starter) was to be done before the initial lot left the showrooms and if the dealer hasnt done it he has to bear the consequences.

was the retrofot only needed for the 2.2s or also for the later (read - last) batches of the 3.0 as well?
Old 17th December 2007, 17:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
was the retrofot only needed for the 2.2s or also for the later (read - last) batches of the 3.0 as well?
AFAIK, these were sent to Dealers for fitment on 2.2s before they left the showroom (immediately post launch). Technically therefore, no customers should've got a truck without these new bits.
Old 17th December 2007, 20:42   #9
adc
Senior - BHPian

Majority of the TATA dealers are still the worthless lot.

I had my 2.2 the day it was launched and went to North Bengal after a couple of days.

After coming back from tour and after that 1 month, I get a call from the service department asking me to come up for the retrofits.

We [wife and small child] used to go out late night in the forests just to have the feel of driving at that hour with darkness all round. Very, very lucky now thinking that I could have been stuck with the 2.2 refusing to start.

Definitely get the starter changed also - that is one of the retrofits.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:44   #10
BHPian

there were some problems specific to VX or 4X4 in first lot....i guess....
Old 18th December 2007, 11:25   #11
BHPian

Dadu, I purchased my vehicle on 28/10/07. The noise was like "ghadank". Not too loud but always there.

I have written a stinker to top guys at Tata's. They have replyed saying "things will be take care off"????. Anyway, still not got my vehicle from Dhingras. 2 days are over. Will keep you guys posted. It is frustrating.
Old 4th January 2008, 23:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

countryRoad, any update?
Old 7th January 2008, 14:21   #13
BHPian

Hey, sorry for not writing in before.

The Steering column and the starter was replaced at no cost. However, the noise and cropped up again. This time they say it is the steering assembly that needs to be changed. Since they do not have it in stock they have placed an order with Tatas and is expected to arrive at their workshop within 7 days.

All 4x4 owners, has anybody faced the same problem???

Otherwise the drive has been great. Went to Mukteshwar (7,500 ft). Great drive, on the highway and hills. Did 160 easily. Could have done more.

Most Viewed