Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2007, 21:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @ Busa, abhinav.gupta88

Guys, the tyre jokes are getting old and FAST. Im the first one to admit they look small.

/discussion. Lol.
Old 26th December 2007, 23:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congrats souljah, the car looks great. Now your soul could be filled with jah, bring on the wailers.
Old 26th December 2007, 23:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Yes I wonder how 15" will look on YOUR new tata
car
Since the car only costs a lakh, the footwear is going to be like 35% of the sticker price!
Old 26th December 2007, 23:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Congrats souljah, the car looks great. Now your soul could be filled with jah, bring on the wailers.
Thank you sir :-)

Audio has not yet been done. Hope to be chilling to the sounds of the wailers soon!

Right now its the rattles of the car interspersed with the orchestra of traffic snarls. Surprisingly Im blissfully unaware
Old 29th December 2007, 18:51   #35
BHPian

congrats dude.. its been ages since we last talked and you were planning for a new baby from that time if i recollect correctly, have fun with the torque!
Old 4th January 2008, 23:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

I had originally planned to update after the first service @ 1000kms but what the hell, no need to wait really!

Last week took her out for a spin on the Hebbal stretch until the new airport and back just to rack up some mileage. Discovered the magic of the S-Drives here. They kiss the road and tight

On Saturday dad needed to go upto some property in Hosur, so racked up another 160kms. The trip even saw us going off road! Never thought I would venture there but she took it like a champ. In fact those roads were a lot more comfy than Bangy roads :-| I kid you not! Some pics in my gallery but not of the bad roads.

Car has a horrible rattle from the rear right door but Im sure this is because they forgot to put back a lot of stuff when they installed the Nippon security system. Smaller minor rattles I think are going to show up soon!!

Fuel Economy :

10km Odo reading + 5 litres Shell diesel @ Pratham Motors, ORR.

1. First Fill @ IOC, Old Madras Road - Diesel Regular - 37 Litres (approx 18-20km)
2. Second fill @ IOC, Diesel Regular - 35 Litres (537 Km)

Iv been shifting gears A LOT which is not entirely necessary with the beloved DDiS. After the trip to Hosur the engine and car seems to have opened up a fair bit. Driving in the city seems a lot more relaxed !

Sticking to 2000rpm mostly and occasionally with a well heated engine Iv pushed it to 2.5 - 3k RPM.

I just cant digest the fact that there is no Low Fuel indicator or Reserve. I filled as soon as it hit the last calibration. There could have been anything from 5 - 12 litres in there !

Initial Impressions :

Gearshifts are definately notchy (ok the wagon R warriors please dont compare!) Its a little difficult to digest the small things MSIL has cut back on to keep the costs down. Not having a low fuel indicator is really bugging me. Cant wait for the the damping to go in. Feel like im in a tin can. Even the valet guy at the office was commenting - "Strength illa saar". He apparently knocked a Swift with his fist accidentally and it buckled.

Absolute ease to drive around even in traffic. Everyday I get more re-assurance that my long drawn wait for her wasvery much worth it. The car seems to be drawing a lot of attention, simply because she's white.. and a swift ! hehe.

I have absolutely no regrets that I gave up the Getz CRDI for the DDiS.
Old 5th January 2008, 01:32   #37
BHPian

congratulations on your new car.

Very cute tail lamps. It reminds me of the Lexus RX 330 SUV I see every day.

If you replace those tail lamps does it void any warranty the car comes with.
I read another post where a BMW owner changed the head lamps to Xenon lights and he mentioned his warranty has been canceled because he changed the lights.
Old 8th January 2008, 19:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

First Service @ RNS, Yeshwantpur.

@skmami, thanks. Technically warranty is void but the reality is that none of the electricals have been tampered with.

Abroad aftermarket fittings void your insurance unless the part has been approved by the appropriate EU committee. This particular set of tail lamps I think are EU roadworthy :-)

First Service / Engine Oil Change

Not yet hit the 1k mark but decided to go ahead with the service anyway. Subsequent to the Hosur trip my dad made a run to Srirangapatna which added about 300kms to the odo and reading 957 when I pulled into the service station.

Service Experience

Went to RNS Motors, Unit I @ Yeshwantpur by around 9:15 and was greeted by Sachin with whom Id spoken earlier. Pleasant guy who has himself taken the wheel of the DDiS on many occasions including highway trips to Mangalore. He is also in the process of helping his friend convert the car to a Swift Sport (cosmetically), so we had lots to talk about.

Gave the complaints about how she tends to pull to the left quite a bit and also regarding the unbearable rattle from the rear.

Once all the paperwork was done they completed the wash and we proceeded tot he service bay for the oil change. Having been used to only changing my yamaha;s engine oil the oil draining from my car appeared to be fine but I guess the vehicle being diesel and all the change is a must.

The 2 hour express service I think is a great initiative. I ended up spending close to 3 hours there but that was because I was letting them work at their pace and also attending to other small things like small touch ups etc.

Got the alignment checked and things were more or less fine. Culprit was tyre pressure. Not being familiar with this nitrogen funda I had inquired a couple of times regarding checking the pressure. Instead of 2.5 in the front actual tyre pressure was 2.02 in the left and 1.89 in the right Crazy!

Sachin tells me that RNS, Yeshwantpur UNIT I is the only MASS in Bangalore that has a nitrogen filling pump. Not sure how far this is true. The machine costs somewhere in the range of 2Lakhs apparently.

The rattling turned out to be the seats and not usual suspect doors. After removing the back seat the mechanic padded the seat hooks with some insulation tape and viola all rattles eliminated With this sorted out the car proceeded for vacuum, polish of plastic parts, window cleaning, body wiping.

I was surprised to find that at every stage there was someone supervising and also personally getting involved with the cars. The fact that I was always hovering might have added to this but all in all seems like a decent set of people.

I was billed RS651/- which was against 3 Liters of engine oil and a new oil drain nut.

So after a TD and everything sorted out I thanked Sachin and took leave. All in all a good experience I must say.

Last edited by s0uljah : 8th January 2008 at 19:16. Reason: Thanks to Jaggu & Mag for their RNS contacts :)
Old 8th January 2008, 19:40   #39
Team-BHP Support

goodieee so i still have my service adviser intact eh !!
Old 8th January 2008, 20:06   #40
BHPian

Hey Souljah,
Congrats on your purchase dude. Snowflake-Suzie looks gorgeous in white. Very nice choice of wheels too.

Enjoy Maadi!!!!
Old 8th January 2008, 20:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on FINALLY getting the car Souljah!! Look slike you're enjoying it!

One question though, why did you go in for 13" wheels?? 15's would have looked much better.
Old 8th January 2008, 21:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
goodieee so i still have my service adviser intact eh !!
Special thanks again to Jaggu. Yes he will answer your calls dont worry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Enjoy Maadi!!!!
Thanks Santosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Congratulations on FINALLY getting the car Souljah!! Look slike you're enjoying it!
Thanks Rags! Too late the tyre jokes grown old. So HAH
Old 8th January 2008, 21:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljah
3 Liters of engine oil and a new oil drain nut.
Why?

twentytwenty20
Old 8th January 2008, 21:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Why?
Apparently they tend to leak sometimes once forced out and replaced.

Maybe its a bundle but for under 50 bucks rather not mess!
Old 9th January 2008, 11:28   #45
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I want to share my worries with you so that someone can identify the issues that I am speaking about and guide me accordingly. Basically I want to know if my experiences with my 1 month old Swift Vdi is normal or if there is anything fishy so as to contact Maruti.

First of all , hats of to the guys who put up such a great DDiS engine under the hood of this little cutie. The moment I test drived the vehicle, I wanted to own it and at the end of 2.5 months waiting I took delivery of Swift Vdi Pearl Arctic White on 14th Dec 2007. It's been a real great experience with the vehicle as far as the engine performance is concerned.

I had been driving a Daewoo Matiz for 6 years, Ford Ikon Flair for 2 years before getting my hands on the wheel of this Swift Vdi. To summarize my experience comparison:
Engine Performance: Superior among all three.
Ride: Ikon is better than both
Legroom and Comfort: Swift and Matiz are equally better than Ikon
Fuel Economy: Swift in 1st place, Matiz in 2nd place.
Ground Clearance and Maneuverability: Matiz and Swift on top together.
Exterior Build Quality: Ikon on 1st position, Swift on 2nd position and Matiz quite behind at 3rd position.
Interior and Plastics: Ikon on 1st position, Matiz closely on 2nd position and Swift is way behind at 3rd position.
Dealer's hospitality and Responsibility of Service guys: Ikon on 1st position, Matiz on 2nd position and Swift on 3rd position.
To consolidate my ownership experience with Swift Vdi - Just Satisfactroy.

My major issues are with the Dealer, Service Guys and the Interior Build Quality.

I had to haggle hard with the dealer to get the offers as specified in the Maruti advertisement that came on print media. I had to sent several mails to the Maruti guys to make the dealer(Indus Motors Trivandrum) yield the promised 24% per annum payback on the waiting period for the booking amount.

The PDI was not properly done, since the back seat was creaking a lot and I went back to the dealer and they said it was because none of the joints would be greased until the 1st service and once it was greased it would be perfectly silent.

The service people are the most irresponsible of the lot. To be frank, I am fed up with my inumerous trips to the service station. I am wondering if at all it's possible to fix things in the first attempt or if there is a last attempt at all!!!!!!!!!!.. I had my first service done at 800 Km and I asked the service guys to get the car Teflon coating. I had issues with the driver seat belt getting stuck while pulling out(even at snails pace) and boot door rattling and asked to fix them. They returned the vehicle on the end of the day.

The very next day morning I noticed that there was a lot of dirt on the running board and the bottom portion of doors. I tried to clean it with water , car wash and lastly with petrol!! Gosh.. the guys put the dirt on when they were doing the Teflon coating. Since I had a marriage in the family, I couldn't get back to the service station for the week. The very first day I had a chance I took the car to the service station and in the mean time I had noticed that the rattling of the seats and the boot door is back with more intensity than before and the seat belt was better in the sense it was getting stuck less frequently.

They took the vehicle and told me that they would fix it by the end of the day. I didn't even hear from them till EOD and called them. The most disgusting thing was that the service guy at the Indus Motors was totally arrogant and was simply replying that it's not possible to remove the dirt. I was so pissed of that I started shouting and told them I will move to higher authorities if the issue is not fixed. At this point he asked me to meet the works manager and he said he will fix it. Next day the same thing happened and I went back to the works manager and made a scene there. At the end of the day he was telling me, it's due to some acid that these stains are there and it was no fault of theres. I told him I would be communicating with the Maruty Udyog people and then he said he would fix it if I can leave the vehicle with them for 4 days.

After four days I got the vehicle painted and free of stains. But the rattling is on the rise.

I am just now thinking about communicating with the Maruti people regarding the rattling noise coming out of the boot door and the rear seat.

Please let me know if anyone had similar experiences..

Most Viewed