Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:14   #1
BHPian

Sparky

I took delivery of the spark just before Christmas. What a great Christmas present!! Ho, ho ho!

I wanted to drive to Kerala in it for Sankranthi, but they have not given me the RC book nor the owner's manual. Does anybody know the service interval/checkup times? The sales guy said that the first checkup is at 1000km or 1 month. Now if I drive it to Kerala and come back it will exceed 1100km well before the 1 month is up? Moreover I am afraid to drive the car around without the proper papers. No owner's manual (sales guy said that it is not in stock). No Pollution certificate (sales guy says that new cars do not need pollution certificates for the first 6 months). No RC book (sales guy says that he will give it in a month or so), and all he has given me is a handwritten piece of insurance paper which does not contain the terms and conditions. How am I supposed to drive around a car with just the invoice and the handwritten insurance paper?

The license plate must have been ready last friday, but as I was away on holiday, I was not able to collect it. He should be providing it along with the owner's manual. Meantime, sparky has been parked in the basement with an odo of 50km, 29km when I got it and another 20k when I took it home. Mmmmm. I still have the zen, so I can manage for some more time . . . . till it reaches its new master and mistress . . . Ho ho ho!!
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Where is the slip when you pay road tax?

Doesnt a car's manual come with the car?
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Where is the slip when you pay road tax?

Doesnt a car's manual come with the car?
First make sure you have the proper Road Tax Receipt, that itself will be more than enough for any authorities (along with your car invoice).

How can they have cars in stock but no manuals? are they selling it separately or what?
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:54   #4
BHPian

RC book should be ready in 30-45days. But meanwhile, the RTO Tax invoice and Insurance should suffice. Owners Manual should be avail immediately once the dealer has done the post delivery inspection. Drop by and pick it up............
Old 2nd January 2008, 17:28   #5
BHPian

The sales guy did not give me a slip for othe road tax receipt. He said that he would give it to me along with the license plates. I think that he did a temporary registration. How is a temporary registration converted to a permanent registration? Has anybody done that?
He said that I will need to take the car to the RTO because the rules have changed???
Old 2nd January 2008, 17:56   #6
BHPian

AS FOR THE POLUTION UNDER CONTROL CERTIFICATE-
new vehicles dont need a PUC certificate for the first year
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:22   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
The sales guy said that the first checkup is at 1000km or 1 month. Now if I drive it to Kerala and come back it will exceed 1100km well before the 1 month is up?
Its 1000km/ 1 month whichever comes FIRST! So, doesnt matter if you do 1000kms in a month or a week.

If coming to kerala, don't forget your seat-belts. Police are really after cars these days.
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
AS FOR THE POLUTION UNDER CONTROL CERTIFICATE-
new vehicles dont need a PUC certificate for the first year
That info is not 100% correct IMO. New vehicles do need PUC certificates just like the older vehicles. However the companies do the honours for you the first time around. So its just that you are not bothered to get the first PUC certificate for your car.

Second, this PUC is not valid for a year. That is actually a very popular misconception. The fact is that it is valid for the first 6 months only, just like any other PUC certificate. In fact all PUC certificates issued anywhere in this country (including the one that came from the point of origin, the manufacturer) are only valid for 6 months. Period.

So after the first 6 months you are better off getting a PUC done for if you get caught by either the RTO chaps or a cop who knows his rule-book you will have to fork out a fine.

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd January 2008 at 19:52.
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:10   #9
BHPian

The heights is that none of the Police vehicles in Kerala I have seen doesnt have seat belts. Only the high way police has a qualis which will be equipped with a seat belt, but never seen them wearing it

Still they are so keen about the publics road saftey, and Police never wear a helmet here. They are an elivated class as any other part of India. No rules!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Its 1000km/ 1 month whichever comes FIRST! So, doesnt matter if you do 1000kms in a month or a week.

If coming to kerala, don't forget your seat-belts. Police are really after cars these days.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 2nd January 2008 at 20:12.
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

No RC book, no number plate, no insurance cover paper, no road tax - did you buy this car or did you do a GTA!!!

dont know if this is just me, but something smells fishy here...
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:26   #11
BHPian

The thing is that since Kochi is more than 500 km from Bangalore, I will hit 1000km on the odo some time during my return journey, probably somewhere close to Dharmapuri, and by the time I reach bangalore I would have passed the 1100km. In this case, will I lose the warranty? So should I wait for the 1 month to pass and take the car for long distance drives after the 1 month period??
Old 2nd January 2008, 22:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
The heights is that none of the Police vehicles in Kerala I have seen doesnt have seat belts. Only the high way police has a qualis which will be equipped with a seat belt, but never seen them wearing it

Still they are so keen about the publics road saftey, and Police never wear a helmet here. They are an elivated class as any other part of India. No rules!!!!!

Actually after seat belts were made compulsory I've seen plenty of police jeeps equipped with seat belts and police drivers using them.

With regard to helmets, the policemen here in Trivandrum certainly do wear helmets after it was made compulsory and even before, if memory serves me right.
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
No RC book, no number plate, no insurance cover paper, no road tax - did you buy this car or did you do a GTA!!!

dont know if this is just me, but something smells fishy here...
I don't see anything too fishy in this. RC book generally takes 30 days or more. I do have a handwritten cover note from Royal Sundaram Alliance, but that is slightly worrying because it is a handwritten. As for the road tax, according to the sales guy, he did a temporary registration. Anyway, he has asked me to take the car to the RTO in Koramangala on saturday to do the permanent registration . . . Moreover, this is just a sales guy from Sundaram Motors. Sundaram Motors, whatever their faults, is part of TVS, and extremely unlikely to be involve in illegal activities My check was made payable to Sundaram Motors and I have a sales receipt from Sundaram Motors for the 3.49 lakhs that I paid. (I would prefer not to remember what I went through while I signed the check though

If he has done anything improper, there are people way up in TVS that I can call to give him trouble.
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:04   #14
BHPian

Zappo is right, new car PUC's are valid for a month only.

Jorge there's nothing fishy abt your car from what I see. The hand written note is called a cover note from your insurance provider. The insurance certificate should reach you within 10 days (I got mine by courier at my resi). Dont take the chance of driving with temp regn. It should not take more than 2-3 days to get a permanent regn. The dealer should do that promptly. Also in mumbai it is mandatory to have the car inspected before permanent regn :-) Hope your doubts have been dismissed.......
Old 5th January 2008, 16:37   #15
BHPian

OK, I got the road tax receipt and the number plates today. I've decided that I will try to fix it on to the car myself. I have bought a screwdriver kit for the same purpose. Is there any place in Koramangala where they make number plates? And is there any information available on the net for the legal font size and shape of the number plates. I just want to make sure that the number plate that I got is legal. My Dad was fined for having number plates that are too small on his Honda City. Apparently the dealer gave him number plates having font size that are not within the legal limits. So just because the dealer gave me the number plate, doesn't mean that it is the legal size.

The owner's manual, RC book and the bulk of the insurance papers are still pending . . .

So is the number plates, road tax receipt, handwritten insurance cover note and the invoice is good enough to go to Kerala huh? I mean, assuming that I am stopped by the tamil/kerala police, can I avoid trouble with all these documents while being without the RC book??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks