Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2008, 00:58   #1
BHPian

first day with my bmw x5. questions and comments (EDIT: More pics added on pg 2)

today, after a tedious seven month wait i got to pick up my x5. got to the dealership a little before time because i just could not wait any longer. you know what we boys are like! as always the customer that was supposed to pick up his 5er did not come ontime, infact came an hour late, so my delivery was a little postponed, though i wan not complaining since i was sitting in their showroom x5 and was happily screwing around with idrive.

i clocked about 60 km on the first day. i treated her with utmost respect. the manual says: for the first 1200 miles, or 2000km, do not go past 3500 rpm and not more than 150kmph. also drive at varying car speeds and engine speeds. thus, sitting in traffic would be bad for your engine. as well as going a constant speed on the highway. i think i did my absolute best but was tempted to floor it when i had the chance to do it....

some questions as well as comments:

1. is there no way of watching a dvd or watch tv while the car is in motion? i know this may be hazardous, but my driver will be driving most of the time and i would love to watch some 24/entourage/some good movie whilst in the passenger seat.

2. i put all my mp3s on a dvd disc (data disk) and all my songs and folders show up on idrive as expected. though there is one problem....some of my songs, or livesets shall i say, are hours long. is there no way to fast forward though these extremely long livesets? i put in some 24 and i would fast forward by turning the i drive controller to the right (2x, 4x, 8x, 16x)...just wondering why i cannot do this for mp3s on a dvd disk....seems a little strange..

3. the running boards look nice but they are a pain in the posterior. getting in and out of the vehicle is hard, and your pants always get dirty.

3. the exhaust smells like "dahi"......yes, the indian non flavoured, natural yoghurt! i don't know how else to descrie the smell of the exhaust....maybe something to do with the diesel particulate filter??

4. love the blueish/whiting tinge of the bi-xenons....and the awesome looking angel eyes

i'm sure i will have many more comments and questions for those bmw owners in the days ahead.

here are a few pics that i took (sorry, i am a lazy pig, and hence took this set of photos again with my phone camera, hence the crappy quality....i will need to get to the office someday and click some good ones)

cheers!

Old 26th January 2008, 05:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5india View Post
1. is there no way of watching a dvd or watch tv while the car is in motion? i know this may be hazardous, but my driver will be driving most of the time and i would love to watch some 24/entourage/some good movie whilst in the passenger seat.
You will be able to crack the system so as to watch TV/DVD's while driving but do you really want to do that?

Yes, you will be in the passenger seat but whats to prevent the driver's eyes from sliding over to the screen to take a peek? It's a distraction nonetheless.

BMW will probably void warranty for playing around with the electronics - they're very picky about these things.

Instead I'd suggest, get head-rest DVD screens installed so you can entertain yourself in the rear-seat and let the driver concentrate on what he needs to do.
Old 26th January 2008, 06:35   #3
BHPian

Hmm. Great car, and since this is a review thread, I'd request having the specs again in this thread.

Sir, you buy a BMW, and you're not going to drive it most of the time ? Get your driver a TBHP account stat Screw the DVDs man. Why waste time watching movies on a frilly little LCD screen? Enjoy the car dude!
Old 26th January 2008, 13:24   #4
BHPian

Can figure out the small meter below the speedo is the fuel gauge. What is the small one below the RPM meter for?
Old 26th January 2008, 13:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats X5, fantastic car. Some side photos with the alloys please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Can figure out the small meter below the speedo is the fuel gauge. What is the small one below the RPM meter for?
Thats the temperature gauge IMO.
Old 26th January 2008, 14:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

No its not the temperature.
Thats the fuel consumption.

X5india- let me know if you figure out how to keep the dvd running in motion,i have been tryin to figure it out myself.

Btw, you OBC reading of the fuel consumption is very misleading,there is no way you are gettin 16kms per litre ! You might want to reset it everytime you fill her up.
Old 26th January 2008, 14:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Congratz once again and enjoy the car
Old 26th January 2008, 15:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

X5india- let me know if you figure out how to keep the dvd running in motion,i have been tryin to figure it out myself.

Btw, you OBC reading of the fuel consumption is very misleading,there is no way you are gettin 16kms per litre ! You might want to reset it everytime you fill her up.
Yes, the small gauge in the RPM dial is the fuel consumption in L/100 Kms. Likewise, the reading in his OBC is also in L/100 Kms, so it is not saying 16 Km/L, it is 16L/100 Kms = 6.25 Km/L.

Congrats on the car X5. Take good care of her and enjoy every drive you have! cheers:
Old 26th January 2008, 15:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Yes, the small gauge in the RPM dial is the fuel consumption in L/100 Kms. Likewise, the reading in his OBC is also in L/100 Kms, so it is not saying 16 Km/L, it is 16L/100 Kms = 6.25 Km/L.
You're right, i didnt look at the unit... i have my OBC on km/litre unit so was wondering how his mileage was so high.
Old 26th January 2008, 18:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

sahil, i have only had the car for two days and i am still a little perplexed about this OBC...

it is telling me for the drive i did yesterday, about 50 kms, my fuel consumption was 18l/100km? what the hell? i thought this was a diesel car!!!! i hope the average comes down when the engine is a little run in....

also, sahil, is there anyway of removing the OBC when lets say you are watching TV, or a dvd from the right side?

I will definately post more pics. my main 8 megapixel camera is broken (thanks to an employee of mine!), but my other 3.2 is working fine, i will get some snaps from that camera..

but, for the time being, my alloy wheels are the same as this pic:

fash1, that is real time fuel consumption....

i was also wondering if there is a way of getting tata sky for the x5? has anyone on this forum been able to achieve this?
Old 26th January 2008, 19:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

heres a stupid question - what are those red and pink lights in the 1st 2 pics?
Old 26th January 2008, 19:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
heres a stupid question - what are those red and pink lights in the 1st 2 pics?
those are the rear tail lights. i took the pic twice. the first time i got this cool pink colour....the second was the red one...decided to throw in both

made from led (light emitting diode) rods
Old 26th January 2008, 19:38   #13
BHPian

Hey,Congratulations on your X5! Boy! Have a great time driving around in it.

The headlight pictures are lovely! Oh boy both low beam and high beam in projectors! Is this X5 an auto tranny?

And btw, where are you to get a surrounding temperature of 16c?

cya
A
Old 26th January 2008, 19:49   #14
BHPian

great car , it's better looking than the Q7 , are the rims 20's or 18's
Old 26th January 2008, 19:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Hey,Congratulations on your X5! Boy! Have a great time driving around in it.

The headlight pictures are lovely! Oh boy both low beam and high beam in projectors! Is this X5 an auto tranny?

And btw, where are you to get a surrounding temperature of 16c?

cya
A
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline gtr r34 View Post
great car , it's better looking than the Q7 , are the rims 20's or 18's
Absar: yes automatic. in delhi...its been freezing lately...in the morning i see the temp down to 7/8 c

skyline: stock 18. i wanted something a little sportier before i got it, but now i think it will do...

Most Viewed