Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2008, 00:05   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Indica DICOR - Taken for a spin, and then ripped.

Were crossing Dhingra motors gurgaon when i recalled Indica DiCoR has been launched so i came with a idea to testdrive the car.Checked with the dealer and the chap there confirmed the launch and availablity of testdrive car.

Price- 4.25 lakhs ex-showroom gurgaon DLG dicor

Exteriors- No changes compared to turbo variant.

Interiors-No changes to the interiors too.i felt the steering positioned too high with lack of steering height adjustment it takes time for one to get used to it.

Engine and Performance-
The has more clatter when cold compared to most common rail engines,the engine felt lot quieter when it warmed up but its least refined of all the common rail engine we have today except prev gen dicor engine in Safari.

I found the clutch to be working in a very small movement range at bottom when depressed,and it has tendency to stall if you are used to more progressive clutch,i stalled the car once(and the salesman told me thats because the car is too powerful )

On the move the car has turbo lag below around 1800rpm and once you cross 1800 mark the car is peppier than the turbo variant power stays till redline but engine gets very coarse near redline.Keep the car in powerband and the car gives a decent push in the back.

Everything else is all the same as in turbo variant

The car is good value for the price but options like ABS are missing.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th January 2008 at 00:06.
Old 27th January 2008, 00:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

It still lags below 1800 eh? I thought that since it was a VGT, the turbo would have lesser lag at lower revs. anyway, the dicor's specs in my TCIC's manual did hint at a higher top speed.

BTW, were the wheels any different? the specs seemed to indicate that the wheels might be
Old 27th January 2008, 00:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

On the move the car has turbo lag below around 1800rpm and once you cross 1800 mark the car is peppier than the turbo variant power stays till redline
I guess this makes it more adapted to highway usage than city.
Old 27th January 2008, 00:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I forgot to mention,The indica trademark belt noise is carried over to Dicor variant too,the car had 'kir kir kir' belt noise when cold.
Old 27th January 2008, 01:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I guess this makes it more adapted to highway usage than city.
How does turbo lag till 1800 rpm make it suitable for highways? I am asking this after assuming a revv limter which kicks in at 4500 rpm like most of the diesels in India. 1800 rpm is pretty decent. The Swift diesel kicks in between 2000 - 2500 rpm.
Old 27th January 2008, 14:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
How does turbo lag till 1800 rpm make it suitable for highways?

The wee hours of the morning have a strange effect in certain situations; this time the case being my interpreting the turbo lag as usable torque.
Old 27th January 2008, 17:32   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the TD Report. Did you find out if there are any price variations in the turbo and normal diesel models? Also are there any different variants available for Indica V2 Dicor or is it only one single variant? Thanks again.
Old 27th January 2008, 22:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Tata's are notorious of these things. They will leave the car in market. Take the customer f/back and then make the modifications based on the feedback.

BTW 4.25L (Ex-showroom) for this is too much. If you put in another 20~25K more, you will get Swift (LDi) which is more refined than this. Of course, you need to compensate with the space inside.
Old 27th January 2008, 22:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

4.25 IMHO is way too much. Compared to the base DLS, the DLS turbo offers much better performance for 15k, and the DLG turbo adds features AND performance for a further 12k. I wouldnt pay more than a 10K premium for the benefits the DICOR offers. Maybe Tata could discontinue the TCIC DLX , and make the DLX variant DiCOR only- that would help justify the 21k extra it charges for rear power windows and a rear wiper
Old 27th January 2008, 23:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

and , now , the indigo CS LS costs just 20k more . The dicor will have a hard time justifying its price...
Old 18th February 2008, 13:20   #11
BHPian

The price tag is too much, you can have more fresh cars offering more features and a better engine for the same price.
BTW, what's the fuel efficiency?
Old 2nd March 2008, 01:03   #12

GH what is the FE of your Turbo presently, whats the difference in FE for the DICOR eng. hope we have not lost much on VFM by getting the Turbo inside
Old 2nd March 2008, 12:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dicor is for one who
1) wants newer Diesel technology for his car
2) and hence power/performance
3) less clatter/platter
4) more FE ( heard so)

This makes 4 different engine options for a Tata right?

Maybe Indica's will get Dicor only and CS the MJD. Maybe its time for Tata to kill the old non-turbo version and do a price revision.
Old 2nd March 2008, 13:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

killing the NA Diesel may not be the best thing to do. It would cut off them off from the taxi market who wants FE , and dont want to shell out the bucks for the DiCOR.

And worse, all indicabs might become turbo/dicor/MJD. Does anyone really want that

Last edited by greenhorn : 2nd March 2008 at 13:35.
Old 5th April 2008, 14:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Prerana motors had come to my apartment for displaying the Safari & Indica Dicor. As I had nothing else to do, I took TD for both Safari EX 4x4 and Indica Dicor.

I must say, it was a long long time since I last drove an Indica (approx 4 years) and i was PLEASANTLY surprised. The DICOR engine seemed very very good to me -- very responsive & refined, the noise level is very less, couldn't even hear the fanbelt sound.

However; I found the AC to be less effective in the rear -- maybe it was blazing hot and the car was out in the sun.

Must say that I am 'tempted' to buy the Indica DICOR -- The dealer is giving 21K cash discount also -- 4.60 L OTR

The "REAL" thing that would stop me from buying the Indica DICOR would be NOT the taxi image etc.. BUT the cheap quality of plastics/finish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks