Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2008, 17:24   #1

After 7000KM on NHC - VTEC(10th Ann.Edition)

I bought a 10th Ann.Edition Honda City Vtec in Sep 07. Initial Months of driving were confined to the City, After which in Dec I took it out to
1. Yeracaud(From Bangalore) : The car was fully loaded and on the straight patches, I noticed that Fuel Efficiency(FE) is 19.5Km and then on the way uphill, The car scaled the heights with great ease and rarely I had to come downto 1st Gear. But the FE has taken a beating. We had some bad patches on the road and we had some thud sounds now and then. But when I later took it for a car wash , There is no damage beneath.

2. KodaiKanal(From Bangalore): Drove more carefully, and the mileage sustained around 19Km and again took beating while scaling uphill.

With the above trips, In the month of Jna'08 Car went for it's second service. I observed that the mileage in the city now with AC is around 11.5-12Km , which is better than the previous months.

Last week, I had driven 1200KM on NH-5 and I could drive past 140KMPH and the vehicle turns to be a bit vibrating after 120KMPH. Looks like I get better mileage when I stick to 90-120KMPH speeds. Now the ODOmeter reads 7000KM, Car is still very smooth, even after some bumpy driving on bad patches, nothing changes noticeably and is due next month for it's 10K service.

A few points I observe in these 5 months
1. When the car is fully loaded, it becomes very difficult to cross the monstrous speed brakers in Bangalore without hearing a sound(or escaping unscathed). I don't if to fault Honda for these or Bangalore Police(if they are allowed to build roads, We will only have speed brakers).
2. Very good steerability, Easy to negotiate in crowded/narrow routes.
3. Braking is not very effective even at low/moderate speeds like 50/60kmph.
4. One can feel the road profile in driver seat while the rear seat passengers don't feel much.( I don't know if it is designed to be so).
5.Windscreen, Vipers, Headlights are quite effective in heavy rains.

I will keep you posted as I accrue more miles.
Old 17th February 2008, 18:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Surya and nice choice of vehicle. The NHC Vtec is a fantastic car buttttttttttttttttt

Quote:
Braking is not very effective even at low/moderate speeds like 50/60kmph.
I think wider tires will help in better braking.
Old 17th February 2008, 19:15   #3
BHPian

Thats a huge difference in FE between city and highway. Have loads of fun, people say its fantastic car. After getting touched by many speed breakers I mostly avoid thuds by switching to 1st gear and going at an angle on speed breakers. I believe the technique relies on coming down very slow to avoid suspension play (at least for my car).
Old 17th February 2008, 19:35   #4

Thanks Sreenivas, I too try driving at an angle and first gear,Most of the time when I am alone, it is easy, but speed brakers in bangalore city are coming fast and growing in height.
When it comes to FE, Bangalore city traffic is very bad, some time I drive only in first gear all the way.
Old 18th February 2008, 03:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya_bh00 View Post
When it comes to FE, Bangalore city traffic is very bad, some time I drive only in first gear all the way.
I get 10 in my sister's wagonR, may be it's my driving style, but i dont rev it too hard also!
Old 18th February 2008, 09:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good one surya, but very surprised with this one.

Quote:

For a 10 lakh car, it is unbeleivable
Old 18th February 2008, 10:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

My Favourite car.Plan to buy Vtec Plus.But no money..............
19+ in Highway with AC on or not.
Amazing FE and Enzoy ..............
Old 18th February 2008, 13:09   #8
BHPian

Amazing

Amazing FE. Never knew the vtecs drinking habits were so good.
WEll, how's the ride comfort.
Yes, try wider tyres for better braking distances.
Enjoy the VTEC.
Old 18th February 2008, 15:31   #9

I kept on asking the Service man if there is some thing wrong that I see a better mileage . But he is very cautious not take a stand. Some of my colleagues who has Exi say that they get 13-14 Km with a judicial AC usage and on highways about 22 KM (again AC is not continuously kept on). I have a kind of report which I made to see how the mileage varied between a very good road and a constant speed Vs Bumpy/Patchy road.
Very soon, I will post it in a proper format.
Old 9th March 2008, 17:23   #10
BHPian

The sales guy at Dakshin Honda, Bangalore told me the FE of VTEC is slightly lesser than EXI/GXI.
He told me customers are claiming 13-15km with VTEC in Bangalore city. On the other hand it is 14-16 with EXI/GXI.
Is should have something to do with more powerful engine in VTEC.
Old 9th March 2008, 20:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My CVT has given 13.31 overall with AC on throughout.
Old 10th March 2008, 11:55   #12

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:

A few points I observe in these 5 months
1. When the car is fully loaded, it becomes very difficult to cross the monstrous speed brakers in Bangalore without hearing a sound(or escaping unscathed). I don't if to fault Honda for these or Bangalore Police(if they are allowed to build roads, We will only have speed brakers).

4. One can feel the road profile in driver seat while the rear seat passengers don't feel much.( I don't know if it is designed to be so).
there is one solution to all your problems..Switch to 195/60r14.your ground clearance will increase slightly.You will get better ride comfort and also your braking will improve tremendously.In my nhc vtec,the tires used to lock up at the slightest dab of the brake pedal but after switching to wider tires,it has become a lot better.I easily get a f.e of 14kmpl with 100% ac in the city.And congrats,you have made a really good decision buying the nhc vtec.
Old 10th March 2008, 11:56   #13

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Good one surya, but very surprised with this one.

For a 10 lakh car, it is unbeleivable
well it has been over-exaggerated a little.Dont forget it has disc brakes all round.Its just that the stock tires are too damn lousy.Switch to wider rubber and you immediately notice the improvements.
Old 10th March 2008, 12:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy! Amazing power train in VTEC.

Quote:
Braking is not very effective even at low/moderate speeds like 50/60kmph.
It is imperative, that you switch to better rubbers ASAP as the car desperately need them. Honda had never been good in giving good, wide rubbers for sake of FE.
Old 10th March 2008, 16:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Now that is what I call FE ( 15 - 19 !!!!! ). I have heard Vtecs giving 14 kpl or so ( good for a 100 bhp car !! )

The latest Vtecs have Leather Ulphostery also right ( or is that Optional ? )

Most Viewed