Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2008, 04:55   #1
BHPian

Indica - The best 'small car' for highways

We friends went for a drive this weekend in my friend's indica. Just wanted to write on the experience. I personally own a WagonR and have driven WagonR , Santro and now the Indica. The drive was pretty short - about 200kms on NH4 and some bad roads connecting NH4 with a place called Chikballapur, it also covered a short drive up the hill and down. For people familiar with Karnataka, the route was Bangalore - Namada Chilme - Devarayanadurga - Tumkur - Chikballapur - Skandagiri Hills - Bangalore.

Although I am not an expert driver, I am still very sure to write that among the small cars, when it comes to stability and comfort, indica is a very good car. Especially if your are going at 90+ kmph, suddely spot humps or unevenness, then you have to break hard and go over the humps/ pot holes at 70+ kmph, the car doesnt feel unsafe, it is quite stable at that speed, atleast compared to wagonR or Santro, it is much stabler. Even in hard turnings, a relatively inexperienced driver can turn the car at 60+ kmph without feeling unsafe.

So I 'personally felt' if anyone wants to buy a small car for travelling most of the time on highways, especailly in India where roads are full of surprises, you should probably give indica a serious thought over the other small cars. I am not saying other small cars are bad, every car has its area of strengths and disadvantages, but I just wrote this to share my experience in an indica.
Old 18th February 2008, 11:49   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I agree. The Indica's size and road behaviour make it well suited for highway use. Other big hatches like the Palio, Getz, Swift etc. also add to this list.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

ya indica is very comfortabe and big in space. also the sheet metal is very strong and can easily withstand impacts and keep the passengers safe, much more than other costlier cars do.

But the engine it is very unreliable. u have to pray to god before going on long drives. u never know when ur engine will stall and for what reason. u will be completely clueless. i hope when they put fiat engines the indica will be the best ride.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:03   #4
srh
BHPian

too. I have made multiple Bangalore-Pune/ Mumbai trips and a Bangalore-Goa trip (to via Shimoga/ Gersoppa/ Honnavar/ Karwar & back via Karwar/ Hubli/ Chitradurg) in my Xeta. The road from Karwar to Goa is bad and the road between Karwar and Hubli is the worst you can get (due to the iron ore trucks). Essars have screwed the road between Hubli and Chitradurg (They have the 4-laning contract and the road is still incomplete) The vehicle is as stable as a midsize car. With its adequate ground clearance, soft suspension, front & rear independant suspension and good suspension travel, it is able to take most potholes at high speeds with ease. I personally have had only wheel rim bends as a problem in such situations. The only issue is that of body roll. You can't get into sharp turns too fast. But still, amongst the small cars, it is the best suited for bad roads and highways.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Among Santro, WagonR and Indica that you have driven. Indica has to be the best on highway for ride quality !
Old 18th February 2008, 12:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

2 people - Wagon R - 650 kms - Hyd to Chennai.

and another 650 kms return trip.

On NH-5 was constantly doing 120 plus, was over a 130 for almost a 100 kms.
Did 137 without feeling any stability issues.

Am writing this because the first post gives an impression of stability issues in the Wagon.

However while on the state highway between Narketpally and Adanki, speeds were a more sedate 80-90.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:08   #7
BHPian

you can take a horse to the water......

the simple fact is the human mind is so stupid when it comes to make a decesion logically it relies on the heart.

most of the bhpians have only one vision when it comes to Indica, CALL CENTRE TAXI.
but very few must have actually bought one knowing its image but still knowing more as to why Call centres rely on this vehicle.

nice to read unbiased views.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

I agree completely. Indica is a very safe and sturdy car (TATA heritage I guess). I completely felt safe on highways in that car, even at 100+ speeds.

In fact, my 1st major accident was in my old Indica, driving at 90 kmph, when an auto rickshaw (coming from the opposite direction) suddenly turned and rammed into me from right. It finally toppled over on my bonnet and completely smashed it.

The entire bonnet, right fender, right door, windscreen etc was gone and the total damage was 75K. However, I walked out completely scratch less from the car and I was mighty impressed with its build and sturdiness.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Am writing this because the first post gives an impression of stability issues in the Wagon.

However while on the state highway between Narketpally and Adanki, speeds were a more sedate 80-90.
buddy read his post slowly. you missed the stability "surface" point.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I agree completely. Indica is a very safe and sturdy car (TATA heritage I guess). I completely felt safe on highways in that car, even at 100+ speeds.

In fact, my 1st major accident was in my old Indica, driving at 90 kmph, when an auto rickshaw (coming from the opposite direction) suddenly turned and rammed into me from right. It finally toppled over on my bonnet and completely smashed it.

The entire bonnet, right fender, right door, windscreen etc was gone and the total damage was 75K. However, I walked out completely scratch less from the car and I was mighty impressed with its build and sturdiness.
crashing at 90kmph and walking out without a scratch is 2 different things buddy, so call your self blessed by God or darn lucky.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The virtues of the Indica come to the fore when compared with the other tin pots around it. It is indeed a safe all-rounder.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
But the engine it is very unreliable. u have to pray to god before going on long drives. u never know when ur engine will stall and for what reason. u will be completely clueless. i hope when they put fiat engines the indica will be the best ride.
The engines on the Indica are generally reliable and have been known to go on comfortably for over 150,000 kms if well maintained.

It is noisy and the gearshift quality is bad, but as far as reliability is concerned these cars have kept running quite well.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:39   #13
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
ya indica is very comfortabe and big in space. also the sheet metal is very strong and can easily withstand impacts and keep the passengers safe, much more than other costlier cars do.

we have indigo marina without intercooler. we travelled in it to different places like
BNG- vizag-bng
Bng- tirupati-kalahasti-bng many times
bng- trichy-tanjore-bng
bng-hampi-badami-aihole-pattdakal-bng ( no roads between aihole-pattdakal-badami)
bng-belur-halebeedu-bng
and so many other places in the last three years.

it never stopped midway, nor did we have any major problem with it.

we averaged about 80KMPH in over long distance travel with max speed of 140 kmph also in GQ i.e; NH5

Last edited by rkg : 18th February 2008 at 12:40.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:39   #14
BHPian

I have driven an Indica V2 LSI ( petrol) for close to 5000 Kms ( mostly highways) and it lived up to the mark of being a stable hatch. I was not very happy with the braking ( but it was in six years ago) and guess from the feedback above, it is apparent that TATA has done its homework and made Indica a lot better than "taxi" car image it is saddled with.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

How about braking hard from 100 kmph when you spot multiple humps / big pot holes suddenly and going over them at over 70 kmph, that really sounds scary for WagonR or a Santro.

Most Viewed