Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2008, 14:26   #1
Team-BHP Support

A Running Report on Logan 1.4 GLE

My cousin wants to go for a new car and the following have been shortlisted -

1> Indigo CS
2> Accent GLE
3> Palio 1.6

I have suggested Palio 1.6 and he is also inclined towards it but I am not sure if it will be a wise decision at this point of time. I love the car and would have gone for it but this is not for me, so need some advice from the fellow bhpians. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th February 2008, 14:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Indigo CS I'd say - real VFM at that price & a diesel too!
Old 26th February 2008, 14:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

WOuld be good if you could put in some of his priorities. As a comfortable performance hatch the Palio 1.6 fits in. But seeing the other options makes me confused on what he is exactly looking for.
Old 26th February 2008, 14:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, if your cousins driving habits are even 10% of yours, I don't see why the Indigo and Accent were shortlisted

Why not the SwiftD? Or maybe he can wait for the Swift Sedan?

But looking at the shortlist, I'm guessing he has a budget of 5L?
Old 26th February 2008, 15:02   #5
BHPian

I guess firstly you need to sort out if he wants a sedan or a hatch coz a lot of the decisions depends on your cousin's driving style, and requirement such as if he wants the car only for city use or travels long distances wid family often. Some people prefer to have a hatch in city eventhough they'd like to own a sedan for the simple fact that its easier to park and handle in city traffic.

If your cousin is looking at a hatchback then palio 1.6 is a good bet but there are plenty of other options in the segment such as the Swift, getz, i10 etc etc and some with very good diesel options too..

If its a sedan then the SX4 is agood option and good VFM than the dated accent GLE and then again there are a lot of other sedans too under this price range that are good VFM. Since you have palio as an option u might want to check out the adventure sport as well but this is an estate model..but its a steal for the price at which its being offered. hella lamps, pirelli tires and bull bars etc..the red one looks really good..
Old 26th February 2008, 15:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Palio 1.6 is a gem of a car. Instead of Accent he can also look at
Logan. If he can stretch his budget he can also get the Fiesta 1.4 petrol.
Fiesta is now giving big discounts. I would recommend Fiesta 1.4 P.
Old 26th February 2008, 15:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Please enlighten us on the preferences rather than just the choices.Is it more of highways or more of city drive?How many people inside the car most of the time?Do you need a boot?Whats the price criteria?etc
Why is swift-d,p,swift dzire is out of the list.
ram
Old 26th February 2008, 15:27   #8
BHPian

very simple,
if he is a normal commuter - Indigo CS
if he is concerned about FE - Indigo CS
If he is concerned about resale value - Indigo CS
If he is a performance enthusiast - Palio 1.6
if he needs a macho image - Accent

but Accent is not advisable at this point of time as it is expected to be discontinued soon.

Update us on his decision. All the best
Old 26th February 2008, 15:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
But looking at the shortlist, I'm guessing he has a budget of 5L?
yes, his budget is a maximum of 5 lacs. Boot is not an absolute must, but should have enough space to accomodate luggages for frequent getaways. Diesel is also not an absolute must as the car would run approx 1000 Kms a month. The car will be self driven, so should be fun to drive. Actually this will be his first car and the expectation is so huge that IMO no particular car can fulfill all of them. So I had suggested the Palio as it comes closest to fulfilling most of the requirements and the boot space is more than that of Swift. Swift Ldi was an option but the non-existent boot space is a big let down. Indigo CS is VFM but I find it very uncomfortable to drive. I am as confused as one can possibly be and more so because my inputs will play a crucial role in the process . So I dont want to give an advise which can backfire. My main concerns with the Palio are the FE and A**. The FE should not be less than 10 in city. Other 1.6 owners can give their inputs regarding the FE and A**.
Old 26th February 2008, 16:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The FE should not be less than 10 in city.
Palio 1.6 - FE is definitely less than 10 in city. It is likely to be in the range of 8-9 kmpl
Old 26th February 2008, 16:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

man get a ford ikon the only avaliable flair model, well you see its got all and same a.s.s. as fiat's can be sort of fun to drive car and defiantely gives 12kmpl in the city, the others i think will definitely be a compromise!, in the sense of FE to power, but this has decent power for the decent FE.

the accent and palio are going to be phased out very soon, and at least the ikon new will be available for the next 1 year for sure and in my opinion it fits the bill just fine blackpearl, or is there some reason for not liking ford, since its his first car this power should be enough i suppose?

yes this car has 70 ps and 400 liter boot space! more over a little bargain can get you a lot of accessories and discounts!

check out this linky this car is still avaliable and i think will be avaliable for some more time to come!
Ford - Ikon Home

hope this helps.

Last edited by rider60 : 26th February 2008 at 16:34.
Old 26th February 2008, 16:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
man get a ford ikon the only avaliable flair model, well you see its got all and same a.s.s. as fiat's can be sort of fun to drive car and defiantely gives 12kmpl in the city, the others i think will definitely be a compromise!

the accent and palio are going to be phased out very soon, and at least the ikon new will be available for the next 1 year for sure and in my opinion it fits the bill just fine blackpearl, or is there some reason for not liking ford, since its his first car this power should be enough i suppose?

yes this car has 70 ps and 400 liter boot space!

check out this linky this car is still avaliable and i think will be avaliable for some more time to come!
Ford - Ikon Home

hope this helps.
@rider60 - thanks for your inputs. I had also suggested ikon flair as I like the car and feel it is a VFM product with fun quotient. But my cousin is dead against ford as he is of the opinion that Ford A** is very bad and fords are very expensive to maintain. obviously somebody has badmouthed about Ford and he has taken it very seriously. So ford is a big no for him.

edit: just now my cousin called up saying that Lexus Motors is giving 20 K discount on the Palio 1.6 for Tata Employees. Seams that the deal is going to be sealed . Fiat lovers, one more to join the club soon, hopefully...

Last edited by BlackPearl : 26th February 2008 at 16:39.
Old 26th February 2008, 16:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

If it's going to be his first car - why not a used car? Get him a used Baleno or a used Accent/Esteem/Lancer. Let him use it for 2-3 years and then upgrade to a new C/C+ segment car that meets his criteria when he has the budget.

If you are sure that none of the 3 shortlisted cars will meet his high expectations, then it's best to settle for a car (used/new) which has decent resale value and demand in the market. Since he will anyway feel the urge to change 2-3 years later.
Old 26th February 2008, 17:38   #14
BHPian

The indigo CS looks better than most TATAs and has the FE going for it. But one needs to consider the (IMHO) uncomfortable driving position and ergonomics.

The Palio is a quick hatch - and the answer lies therein it is cheap to buy, performs well and is reasonably roomy at the expense of FE and ***

The Accent GLE comes with decent FE (11 - 12), can get zippy in city traffic if pushed, has a decent sized boot, and Hyundai has confirmed that it will not be discontinuing the model for at least 1-1.5 yrs, even after which the spares (hey its a Hyundai!) should be available. The downside being driving around in a 7yr+ old model.

Seems to me that your friend is looking at this from a budget point of view more than anything else, and the question is what does he want the most in return for his spend - space, FE or performance?
Old 26th February 2008, 18:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

He has almost finalised the deal for palio 1.6,so please stop praising model after model guys.lol
ram

Most Viewed