Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 00:35   #1
BHPian

Scorpio mHawk 5000 kms clocked....

Hi Friends,

I bought Rocky Beige mHawk on 9th Jan and today I have already run this vehicle for about 5500 kms. With every ride, I feel like driving more. :-)

The first service was done at 4800 kms (recommended by Mahindra was 5000 kms or 3 months which ever is earlier). The cost of 1st service was Rs 1806 /- (For Fluid changes).

This vehicle has done Bangalore-Bijapur 3 times, Bangalore-Ratnagiri 1 time and on country roads for about 1000 kms.

I dressed my mHawk with sunfilms(Lumar(silver) for side & front(platinum) ) for 8000 Rs/-. The front sun film on wind shield, I felt it was a waste. I did not get much improvements with oncomming traffic at night with sunfilms.

I then dressed my mHawk interiors with OVION leather(Beige Perforated+wheat). The looks are killing me now :-) Am sorry I can't get the pics now as the vehicle is in bijapur.
Now the mileage I am getting is 10 in city and 12.5 in highways.

Overall very satisfied. :-) Please do let me know if someone is interested in any specific details.

Cheers!!!
Prakash
Old 6th March 2008, 02:45   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your buy Prakash .. will eagerly await the pictures
Old 6th March 2008, 03:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

congratulations lingadalli on the new vehicle. i have question, how come the FE is 10kmpL isn't it suppose to be more? my friend claims 12kpl in the city and 13+kpl on highways in his 2.6 crde, any specific reasons?
Old 6th March 2008, 08:11   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the buy, enjoy the car.
BTW, how's the ride quality?
and if you have driven the scorp 2.6 CRDe, how much is the power difference in the mHawk?
Eagerly awaiting the pics.
Old 6th March 2008, 08:16   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the new SUV.Getting 13+ is really good.For safari also getting more than 14+.
Old 6th March 2008, 08:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

How is the engine noise inside cabin. Heard its higher than the one 2.6Crde when you dont have your ac/blower on.
Old 6th March 2008, 09:23   #7
BHPian

The FE depends a lot on how you drive and where you drive. The term city now a days is a very wrong way of measuring the FE. If I drive my SUV in Mysore(A City), I would get 12. If I am driving in Bangalore near Koramangala/BTM ring road area during peak hours, I would hardly get 8-9. It all depends on how many signals, the wait time in each signal, the movement b/w signals. Sometimes, a snail goes faster then the Scorpio :-)

On Highways, when my driver drives, he usually keeps a constant speed of 80-110.
When I drive, the speed ranges from 50-150. So again, depends on how you rev your vehicle. In my hands, I get about 12 and my driver ensures it touches 13. (Lucky to have a good driver)

Regarding the engine noise, I don't think, there is any huge difference b/w 2.6 and 2.2 mHawk. but when AC is on, the engine noise is ineed very less.

The best of mHawk, is the ride quality. It is far far superior then 2.6 CRDE. I did a test drive of Scorpio's for almost 12-15 times before I finally decided on mHawk. mHawk is not value for money. All the gizmos they claim are not worth it. The music system justs sucks.

Buy mHawk only for the engine and nothing else. I am not sure what all they modified really to ensure that we have a good ride quality. But ride quality is good. I touched 150 once and it still had enough power to pull more. But more importantly I was in absolutly full control and no vibration of the vehicle as such even at 150.

Cheers!!!
Prakash
Old 6th March 2008, 10:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your great new Scorpio . Keep updating and post some pictures .
Old 6th March 2008, 10:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!

Great to know that the ride quality has improved. How is the handling?

I found the handling of 2.6 bad on highways.
Old 6th March 2008, 10:24   #10
BHPian

Hey prakash....you are one of the very few bhpians who have posted a ownership review on the scorpio.

Hearty congratulations buddy!!

Yes, the mhawk is not VFM IMHO. The engine is much better & so is the AC. Rest was M&Ms stragegy to sell it to a select few at 11+.

Did you get the seating positions modified??? don't you feel that the mid row is cramped, if not changed of course??

And please, buy yourself a good music system.
Old 6th March 2008, 11:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Lingadalli! Could you please elaborate a bit more on the ride and handling?
Is the rocking motion gone? Does the SUV feel stable under hard braking? How about fast lane changes? How is the middle row ride and comfort? Thanks.
And please post some pictures soon!!
Old 6th March 2008, 11:53   #12
BHPian

I had an Yamaha RX 135 few years back. With mHawk, I feel that I got my RX back. For me lots of stuff hold good with respect to RX. Just as RX, I feel that this mHawk has got tons of Power in it to zoom. The handling really depends on the person who drives it. One has to really know its limitation of the vehicle. Once on highways at a speed of 80+ on highways overtaking a truck, I had nearly had head on. But thanks to ABS, EBD. I could perfectly maneuver it while brakes where applied. So I had full control.
But If you are thinking of doing stunts moving in a Zig Zag on highways at a speed of 90+. Beware to know when the vehicle might overturn. Yeah. I mean it. Justy because they reduced of the weight of engine doesn't mean that you can drive this vehicle at 120+ in a sharp curve. Some problems don't really go. This existed in CRDE and it still does exist. But it is lot lot better now.The Center of gravity for this vehicle is still a bit on the higher side.

And to the seating, nothing changed in mHawk. It is still the same cramped room. The last row in 8 seater is really cramped. So I went for 7 seater which is a bit better.

-prakash

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th March 2008 at 12:39. Reason: Formatting tags removed.
Old 6th March 2008, 14:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

The difference is as simple as between a 115 BHP and a 140 BHP powerplant..

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemer View Post
and if you have driven the scorp 2.6 CRDe, how much is the power difference in the mHawk?
Eagerly awaiting the pics.
Old 6th March 2008, 16:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The difference is as simple as between a 115 BHP and a 140 BHP powerplant..
I don't think the mHawk has a 140BHP powerplant. Its rated at 120 BHP AFAIK. I really would like to know if the rocking motion has gone which was there in the earlier models. Being used to driving sedans, I really had a uncomfortable time driving a CRDE.
Old 6th March 2008, 17:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I don't think the mHawk has a 140BHP powerplant. Its rated at 120 BHP AFAIK. I really would like to know if the rocking motion has gone which was there in the earlier models. Being used to driving sedans, I really had a uncomfortable time driving a CRDE.
According to Prakash its still there. Check out his posts.

mHawk is 120bhp, had to be detuned as the current gearbox wont take the max power the engine produces.

When one designs a new engine or something doesnt they study other stuff? Hope they dont bring out mHawk v1 or so with 140bhp and new gearbox.

Most Viewed