Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2008, 11:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Am sure this has a good future!

I guess Bolero, Scorpio will face the heat! am sure M&M will have to improve the interiors of Bolero...the show room guys themselves were happy with it.
Old 16th April 2008, 12:43   #32
BHPian

Tata Sumo Grande - Test Drive Report

I am looking to buy a sedan/SUV in the range of 8-10 lacs. I own a Zen and am inclined towards a petrol car. I have already taken test drives of Mitsu Cedia (loved that car!), SX4 and Hyundai Verna Petrol. My friend suggested that I also test drive the Sumo Grande as it falls in the same price band.

I was very excited about the the Sumo Grande after watching the photographs etc in Auto Expo. I have driven the new Safari and really liked. Since the Safari is out of my budget and Grande has the same engine, my expectations were high.

The Grande looks really big from the front. It looks big and feels big from the inside as well. The third row has very good legroom. The overall look is impressive. However, I felt that having the fifth tyre on the door like Safari would have given it a sportier look. The exterior paint job is well done.

The interiors are not that good. You get a 'plasticky' feeling, However, it is a personal choice and I feel with the price band, one can compromise on this front. The AC was very effective and the blowers were placed in the 2nd and 3rd rows as well.

On to the drive - The gear were not very smooth. Probably it had something to do with the fact that the Grande I was driving was very new and had not been serviced. Going with the Tata reputation, I am not sure if this would be fixed in the first few servicings. The pick is decent and I was satisfied with the pick/performance till the second gear. However, above that, I think the car betrays its size and power. The engine noise is less compared to a Tata deisel car - frankly, I was expecting it to be a lot more noisy.

The worst part is the suspension. There is a lot of body roll, especially in the second row. Leaf springs have been used in the Grande for rear suspension. Not impressed at all! The Grande has a very high stance which makes the passengers a bit jittery when turning the corners - something which the old Scorpio suffered from.

Safety - No ABS/EDB or airbags.

Tatas could have made this a winner in the SUV/MUV segment if the ride quality was better.

Conclusion - I have decided not to go in for the Sumo Grande. The Tata brand does not inspire a lot of confidence to buy a newly launched car.
Old 16th April 2008, 20:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

@cediafan>> you say that you liked the safari but its out of your budget which youve said is 8-10 lahks.
The safari ex 4x2 is well within 10 lakhs OTR but without abs & airbags. The Lx is even cheaper.
About the confidence in the brand part... each one to his own opinion.
Old 16th April 2008, 20:51   #34
v&v
Senior - BHPian

nice pictures. comparing to pricing, it will be a good option of moving people.
Old 16th April 2008, 20:59   #35
BHPian

@jaysmokesleaves>> I am looking for a car/SUV which has security features like airbags, ABS/EBD. About confidence in the brand, I agree with you. However, I have seen so many cases where Tata launches have a lot of niggles in the first 6 months that I feel it is better to wait for some time before things smoothen out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks