Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:33   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
I read the recent autocar magazine and it clearly states Indica Dicor is way ahead of Palio JTD in terms of power delivery low as well as top speeds, interior space and comfort, JTD has outdated interiors which have not been changed since the vehicle was launched in India ages ago. If Indica is better than JTD in terms of power then one shouldnt be even comparing the Palio with the Swift Diesel. Amongst the three cars mentioned here the winner is Swift without any of the other two even visible in the rear view mirrors
You need to read the article once again... except for performance the Palio has it beaten everywhere, be it comfort, refinement, ride, build quality, looks, even interiors which many of you say are poor.

P.S. I dont believe in what magazines say... driving it yourself is the best test.
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:54   #407
BHPian

Quote:
I read the recent autocar magazine and it clearly states Indica Dicor is way ahead of Palio JTD in terms of power delivery low as well as top speeds, interior space and comfort, JTD has outdated interiors which have not been changed since the vehicle was launched in India ages ago. If Indica is better than JTD in terms of power then one shouldnt be even comparing the Palio with the Swift Diesel. Amongst the three cars mentioned here the winner is Swift without any of the other two even visible in the rear view mirrors
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Except for the lousy interiors, and limited range of colours,and worse pick up, poor gear shift,louder engine,and pathetic A S S, Palio Multijet beats Swift D hands down
I don't trust these magazines. This is what I found out during my TD.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post777901
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:57   #408
Senior - BHPian

Rippergeo, get your facts right before you post here!

As ExtremeT has pointed out Palio MJD too has 75 BHP, also I too had a TD of Palio MJD, pick-up is amazing even better than the petrol counterparts, it has linear power delivery which makes it fun to drive, unlike Swift D which suffers from turbo lag & one needs to go above 2000 rpm to extract power.

Last edited by finneyp : 23rd April 2008 at 11:05.
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:19   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..bla bla bla...

Except for the lousy interiors, and limited range of colours,and worse pick up, poor gear shift,louder engine,and pathetic A S S, Palio Multijet beats Swift D hands down.

I agree.
boss, bhp figures wrong hain. And let's keep the auto rags aside. let's not even get into the waiting period of different colors' (recall a thread on the copper sunlight VDi) SwiftD either. Interiors of both are crappy - one is dated, the other is not much to write home about. And *** is a very location specific thing, but yes, SwiftD would be ahead for sure. And loudness is incorrect, depends on maintenance i'd say - drove a brand new (few hundred km) swift D and a PalioD TD mule back to back and the palio was quieter.

The gearshift on palio while not as precise as swift isnt too bad (or maybe that's the Xeta/Alto driver in me) because they both aren't as good as I recall GetzP 1.3's gear box as of last year. The pickup isn't really that worse as your above post makes it out to be.
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:30   #410
rippergeo

I had said that i was'nt sure of the bhp figures in my post itself.
what about the 0-100 figures?

since it is evident that I'm biased, I just quoted from a fiat fan's(markiv) verdict.
the only thing I added was the stuff about the pick up.
so if people want to correct someone

correct me on the Bhp figures
and correct markiv on everything else.

the only reason I came back to this thread was markiv's post after his TDs, which by his own judgement puts the Swift in front, but then in the final verdict says the palio beats it hands down

I was not bashing the palio, or supporting the swift, I was merely presenting markiv's own judgement in a different way.

have a look at the post in question.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post805607
please do read through my response too.
the only thing I dispute with markiv is the acceleration.
everything else, I agree with his post.

Last edited by rippergeo : 23rd April 2008 at 11:33.

Old 23rd April 2008, 20:17   #411
BHPian

i am disappointed with gearbox of this car except for that the car is wonderful.... the turbo kicks in at 2200 rpm but feel the swift d would be quicker i donut know coz i didn't floor it like i did with the multijet ...but when it comes to price, space and build quality this car scores , the dealer told me that is waiting period of three weeks .......would give it 8/10
Old 24th April 2008, 00:14   #412
Senior - BHPian

I really do not know about the magazines, but I own a Palio 1.3 SDX and my partner owns a swift diesel. Both of us feel that the Palio is quicker and the power delivered in a more linear fashion. I also own a Safari 3.0 l Dicor and he, an Innova V, so no favorites here.

Last edited by jyobeb : 24th April 2008 at 00:19.
Old 24th April 2008, 01:01   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anarchist, I wish you would have read (or recollected) the article more carefully. By your statement, you are painting an incomplete picture...
I have read the article in the April 2008 ACI that is being referred to and it is, in fact, in front of me, right now. I think that I might as well point out a few things in the same article. I am a Palio 1.3 MJD owner, but right now I am just quoting the ACI article:

1. Palio loses to Indica DICOR in terms of Performance ("Palio has sufficient grunt, but Indica has a tad more", says ACI), Value ("Palio price too steep", says ACI).

2. Palio levels Indica DICOR in terms of Comfort ("Palio seats more comfortable but Indica has more space", says ACI).

Further, ACI mentions in the article... "Palio's driving position is infinitely nicer than the Indica's... the seats are supportive ..... In complete contrast, Indica's ..... ensure your back needs a service well before the car does."
Also "Indica's vague and rubbery gearbox...Palio's accurate and positive shifting box is much nicer to use"

3. Palio beats Indica DICOR in terms of Refinement, Safety, Ride, Handling, Build Strength & Quality.

Out of 8 different categories, Palio MJD beats Indica Dicor on 5 categories and loses in 2. Still the ACI shootout winner is the Indica, based on sheer pricing.

I do not believe in the magazines blindly, but that was just for the record, since you have quoted that article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You need to read the article once again... except for performance the Palio has it beaten everywhere, be it comfort, refinement, ride, build quality, looks, even interiors which many of you say are poor.
Extreme_torque, I think what you mean is that Palio has beaten the Indica, because that is what I can gather from the article.

Quote:
I had said that i was'nt sure of the bhp figures in my post itself.
what about the 0-100 figures?

correct me on the Bhp figures
and correct markiv on everything else.
Rippergeo, my Palio MJD owner's manual says
Max Power
75 PS (1 PS=0.986 BHP, so 75 PS=73.95 BHP, approx) @ 4000 RPM
Max Torque
184 Nm @ 2000 RPM.

0-100 figures
If you trust ACI, fine. I haven't ripped my car, the TD Palio MJD or my friend's Swift D (worthwhile to mention here that Maruti never even gave me a chance to TD the Swift Diesel, whereas Fiat was faster, both in TD and in the one-week delivery), so I wouldn't know. If the Swift is faster as per knowledgeable people, it probably is.

Swift gearshift is more sporty and clicks into place, but the 1.3 MJD gearbox is just positive and accurate. I have not mis-shifted, hit a false neutral or anything ever in 1100 kms of driving. It has been borrowed from the old 1.9D, please correct me If I am wrong.

Turbo on the Palio does kick in late at about 2000 rpm (but since I am limiting myself to 2500 rpm right now), I can't be sure as to which car of the three is fastest or has a more linear power delivery. I find that once the Turbo kicks, power is more than sufficient for city driving. To me, it pulls really hard and fast between 2000-3500 rpm. Indica has a more city-driving friendly engine if turbo kicks in at 1400 rpm, but I am sure that Swift D turbo must be kicking in at around 1600-2000 rpm, just 200-300 rpm before Palio (how much difference can be there between the same Multijet engine on two cars?)

Indica may have more space on paper, but Palio is more comfortable any day. I agree with ACI on that. Indica may have the Independent suspension, but Palio ride and handling are far superior. Build Quality of the Palio is better than the Indica, though Palio Interiors may look dated and poorly finished.

Palio might have the worst A.S.S. of the three, but I don't think it is the worst in product quality. I have enough stories of poor Indica / Indigo quality (my frends Indigo Dicor recently underwent a change of Fuel Injection system, Alternator and many other parts worth almost RS 1 lakh, all on warranty, thank God! Tata was having problems with all these parts on the Indigos of a certain batch. Unlike what happens abroad, Tata did not immediately replace the parts, but waited till his car just stopped in the middle of the road.) My other friends Swift D was the 3rd Swift D in his Service Station whose Turbocharger had to be replaced under warranty.

Please look at all three cars and understand the pricing aspect carefully. If ACI could declare the Indica the winner on the pricing front, then by the same logic the Swift VDi (Rs 5.6 lakh on road delhi) should lose to the Indica Dicor DLG (Rs 4.5 lakh on road delhi).

My conclusion:
Indica: Value for money, low on refinement, noisy, biggest space, easy and cheaper maintenance, poor gearshift, so-so ride and handling.
Palio: Neither cheapest nor costliest. Poor A.S.S., much more refined than the Indica, Big on space and very comfortable, ergonomic but dated and poorly finished interiors, Great Ride, Handling, Build Quality.
Swift: Costliest, Refinement a notch above Palio, Poor rear seat space and leg room, well-finished and modern but uninspiring interiors, dark cabin, Very Good A.S.S., sporty handling and ride.

Choose your priorities, take your pick.

Quote:
Amongst the three cars mentioned here the winner is Swift without any of the other two even visible in the rear view mirrors
I will not defend my Palio MJD for its faults, but will not agree with you on that statement.
Old 24th April 2008, 08:10   #414
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
My conclusion:
Indica: Value for money, low on refinement, noisy, biggest space, easy and cheaper maintenance, poor gearshift, so-so ride and handling.
Palio: Neither cheapest nor costliest. Poor A.S.S., much more refined than the Indica, Big on space and very comfortable, ergonomic but dated and poorly finished interiors, Great Ride, Handling, Build Quality.
Swift: Costliest, Refinement a notch above Palio, Poor rear seat space and leg room, well-finished and modern but uninspiring interiors, dark cabin, Very Good A.S.S., sporty handling and ride.

this verdict is probably the best that has been put up on this thread so far.
I like it because it doesnt have any controversial/incendiary material in it, and it brings out the strengths of all 3 cars without beating up the others.
like architect said, pick your priorities and choose your car.

all 3 are capable cars and choosing between them is now almost entirely down to personal preferences/loyalties and the all important Vit M

Last edited by rippergeo : 24th April 2008 at 08:12.

Old 24th April 2008, 09:00   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post

My conclusion:

Choose your priorities, take your pick.
Excellent conclusion bro !!! This will help people considering these cars.. Nice put up.
Old 24th April 2008, 09:43   #416
Senior - BHPian

ok, so shall we just take architect's post and close the thread on this wonderful note?
Old 24th April 2008, 10:19   #417
BANNED

Please! Please! Please! Mods.
I also feel it's time to close this thread.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:16   #418
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With 28 pages up, you bet!

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed