Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2008, 14:58   #1
BHPian

My experiences so far on my month old Spark.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Whew, its taken us nearly 10 minutes to only remove the 20 smilies from your post. Please read our board rules before proceeding any further. Smilie usage is RESTRICTED to 2 per post. Thanks

Hi BHPians,

This is the first time I am writing on Team BHP (and for that matter I have not written much on other sites too . After reading so many reviews and thoughts and experiences on Team BHP, decided to start my own thread on my new SPARK.

I got my Cashmere Grey SPARK LT delivered on Feb 6th, after a loooooong wait of 3 months, from TVS motors, Chennai. The delivery was not smooth either and had to wait for 2 to 3 hrs before they would show my vehicle. This is my third car after my parents M800 and Alto. Finally got delivery of my Sparky after all the formalities, thus starting my voyage with a SPARK.

Though I had test driven the vehicle before booking, the 3 month gap gave a new feel as I took the vehicle out of the showroom. The engine was so silent, that I never realized I had started the car. Initially I had troubles with the controls being in the wrong side, when compared to Maruti, but got used to it in a day or two. The pick up was not that great but for a city ride it was far above what is expected. The gear shifts were not rubbery but a bit long. Changing gears was also a bit of an issue for me as there was absolutely no engine noise that I could not decide on the right time for gear change based on the speed. One positive about the vehicle was that it doesnot require much of gear shifts in the city as the 3rd gear would manage any speed betwen 18 to 60kmph.

Couple of days after driving the Spark, it was just like my old car, I got completely in sync with its features and so did i find a couple of issues with it. Though small, it did make my face The front left wiper was not functioning perfectly and there was a small area which it failed to wipe. The speedo would start jumping instead of a smooth movement, after travelling some distance. Did not raise these two complaints to TVS but thought I would do away with these in the First service. 1 week of driving and I had covered 400+ kms. I drive around 50 kms a day to office and some distance on IT highway which tempts to step on the pedals. I had mentally made up my mind not to cross 60kmph, whatever be it.

Driving in the city traffic gave me a modest mileage of 13km with the AC on all the time. I rarely engaged the 5th gear as there would be no occasion where i can drive at a steady good speed. Time just flew by as i was admiring each and every aspect of my Spark. I tried and planned to make the most use of all the small small pockets in my car, like to keep my purse, card, change, mobile and what not...Decided not to go for audio systems or any other gizmo before the first service and had to hold on to my decision. This indirectly helped me motivating myself to drive more and even if it was not required. (Believe me I staretd taking my car to the Hair dresser just one street away, just to cover the first 1000kms fast. So did I cover the first 1000 kms in the first 20 days

The firstservice of my new Spark was complete with the 2 small hitches fixed and now I am all set to cross my limits. I made up my mind to take my car on a small long drive to Pondicherry from Chennai and to test a lot of aspects in the car. Just as i decided to go on a drive, it mandated me to go for the stereo systems for my car. I went for a ALPINE player with POLK speakers at rear and SONY in the front. Also got a Car security system with the same vendor. All these for 20K. On a weekend started to Pondicherry with my girl friend and 2 of my russian friends. The vehicle was smooooooth on the East Coast Road and hit a steady 120kmph with absolutely no issues. We did have a number of halts for short breaks and view of the Beach and finally managed to cover the 150KM stretch in 2 hrs.

The drive was pretty cool with no problems with the car nor the road. No vibrations. Very Steady in the turns at 90 to 100kmph. Gave a tough race for a Swift on the way back from Pondi. The only problem over a highway drive would be the pick up of teh car which lags a lot. Over a highway what one needs is not just a high top end speed but a good acceleration in a stop and go situation and in overtaking. My Spark was a mile behind my expectations in this context as even an Alto was having a better initial acceleration. Overall the car was great and had given, again a modest, mileage of 17km with the AC on all the time.

It is now a month and 7 days since I have this car and have covered 2000+ kms. The Spark is still sailing smooth with no engine noise and with all its positives being highlighted by everybody traveling in my car. I am happy about this car and I would say it is a real good deal for the money. Will keep you all posted with more of my experiences with THE SPARK.

Sajjan
To Be or Not To Be... Depends on 'YOU'

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2008 at 15:22.
Old 13th March 2008, 15:09   #2
BHPian

Nice review..and good use of smilies.....Congrats for new car..........
Old 13th March 2008, 17:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Over a highway what one needs is not just a high top end speed but a good acceleration in a stop and go situation and in overtaking. My Spark was a mile behind my expectations in this context as even an Alto was having a better initial acceleration.
Were you not downshifting to get better acceleration?
Please explain how spark was below your expectation.
Old 13th March 2008, 18:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Were you not downshifting to get better acceleration?
Please explain how spark was below your expectation.
I was of course downshifting, but the car was not making a good amount of ground.

The situation was like this...
I was trying to overtake a Alto and was faster than Alto. Unfortunate me, I had a vehicle in the opposite and hence had to slow down and I was running parallel to the alto. The alto had also slowed down allowing me to overtake, sighting a possible accident, which i failed to make use of( bcos of fear of new car). One Good thing was that the road can just manage to hold 3 medium sized cars in parallel and mine was the car in the middle.

Once the car had crossed i tried to accelerate at around 40kmph from 3rd so that I overtake the car easily. But i was disappointed as the alto was inching before me atleast until i reached 60kmph and in the 4th gear, above which I started inchng forward.

I was expecting the 200cc extra in Spark would have a edge over the acceleration at 40kmph too.
Old 14th March 2008, 13:54   #5
BHPian

Nice review! Congrats on the new car...
Old 14th March 2008, 16:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man .... nice car u got, now click some snaps and post it here :P
Old 14th March 2008, 16:10   #7
BHPian

Ya we would like to see the pics of the car and the ICE installed.....
Old 14th March 2008, 16:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
Ya we would like to see the pics of the car and the ICE installed.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Congrats man .... nice car u got, now click some snaps and post it here :P
Sure will get some snaps soon. Will plan to do so over this weekend.
Old 14th March 2008, 20:04   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsajjanraj View Post
I was expecting the 200cc extra in Spark would have a edge over the acceleration at 40kmph too.
Does your car have an odometer? if so, check the manual for the RPM range whch gives max torque and upshift at that engine speed. Else, you need to use your ears to identify the speed where teh engine spits maximum torque.
Old 14th March 2008, 21:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

congratulations. good looking car. drive safe.

the other day i saw one spark driven intro storm drain while trying to park. big thud, front left wheel fully hanging in the ditch with car supported on bumper. my friend and i went closer to the car to help the driver. girl at the wheel on a cell phone :-) didn't look like she knew what happened. probably pleased with her precision parking.

good news is nothing broke, nothing fell off. so the build must be good.
Old 14th March 2008, 21:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

COngrats man. Lets see the pics coming in.
Old 14th March 2008, 22:37   #12
BHPian

Congrats Sajjan and in fact, "same pinch" to you cheers:. Me too a very satisfied owner of Spark (3 months, 1.5kms). Haven't tested mine as much as you have but still am very happy with it's performance. It's an absolute joy to drive it everyday. But am starting to see more and more Sparks on the roads these days which is not good news as I want to maintain the exclusivity factor .
Old 16th March 2008, 09:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Congrats Sajjan and in fact, "same pinch" to you cheers:. Me too a very satisfied owner of Spark (3 months, 1.5kms). Haven't tested mine as much as you have but still am very happy with it's performance. It's an absolute joy to drive it everyday. But am starting to see more and more Sparks on the roads these days which is not good news as I want to maintain the exclusivity factor .
Good work done in getting yourself a spark. Take it on a highway and you would never feel like stopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
congratulations. good looking car. drive safe.

the other day i saw one spark driven intro storm drain while trying to park. big thud, front left wheel fully hanging in the ditch with car supported on bumper. my friend and i went closer to the car to help the driver. girl at the wheel on a cell phone :-) didn't look like she knew what happened. probably pleased with her precision parking.

good news is nothing broke, nothing fell off. so the build must be good.
Even I met with an accident. It was on highly congested road and the vehicles were moving atround 20 to 30kmph. Unfortunate for me, the person in the front had braked and I had to hard brake. There was a Bolero behind me and he came straight "BANG" on my back.

Thank God nothing happened to the car. Not even a scratch. I was really surprised. The car is really built well, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Does your car have an odometer? if so, check the manual for the RPM range whch gives max torque and upshift at that engine speed. Else, you need to use your ears to identify the speed where teh engine spits maximum torque.
My car doesnot come with a ODO. To hear the engine sound my ears should be very sharp, as I had said earlier the engine noise is very minimal or null in side the cabin.

Pics of my car coming up soon...
Old 16th March 2008, 09:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This indirectly helped me motivating myself to drive more and even if it was not required. (Believe me I staretd taking my car to the Hair dresser just one street away, just to cover the first 1000kms fast. So did I cover the first 1000 kms in the first 20 days

The firstservice of my new Spark was complete with the 2 small hitches fixed and now I am all set to cross my limits.
Please note that "First servicing" you are referring to for Spark is just an assurance check unless you have specifically instructed for oil change.

The "First servicing" which is commonly referred to on Team-BHP related to first Oil change.

So kindly do not puch to limit if it was just an assurance check. And even if oil has changed do not push it straight away.

For more information kindly go through Team-BHP advice
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...r-new-car.html
Old 16th March 2008, 10:08   #15
BHPian

Point taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
So kindly do not puch to limit if it was just an assurance check. And even if oil has changed do not push it straight away.

OK Point Taken. Will maintain it below 80 for some more time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks