Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 14:48   #16
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! it is raining Safari these days in the forum.

Going by the thread title, I was confused which vehicle you are talking about. Well, I hope you don't get runover by fellow Safari owners for calling her a beauty instead of beast.

Black is a very nice color for thr Safari, but you might regret it during hot days. Regarding seat covers, these days can get very good quality artificial leather. I have art-leather on my GV, and everybody thinks it is leather, even some visitors from US mistook it for leather. Heh, we didn't try to correct them.
Old 17th March 2008, 15:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
exactly what I was gonna say.

Congrats for getting the Beast
Old 17th March 2008, 16:03   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Do put up pics of the black beast soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Congrats for getting the Beast
Check the title guys, he prefers beauty over beast.
Old 17th March 2008, 16:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

2 pages, 16 replies and still no pics !! Congrats on the buy and yes you have joined my Envy the Black Dicor Owners list .
Old 17th March 2008, 16:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

But Riju, he's on the other side !
Old 17th March 2008, 16:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Check the title guys, he prefers beauty over beast.
Oops!! Sorry - but it is after all a beautiful beast .
Old 17th March 2008, 16:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!

Waiting for the pictures
Old 18th March 2008, 23:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Going by the thread title, I was confused which vehicle you are talking about. Well, I hope you don't get runover by fellow Safari owners for calling her a beauty instead of beast.

Black is a very nice color for thr Safari, but you might regret it during hot days. Regarding seat covers, these days can get very good quality artificial leather. I have art-leather on my GV, and everybody thinks it is leather, even some visitors from US mistook it for leather. Heh, we didn't try to correct them.
hey samurai,

thanks man. yeah - i had been following the news of the safari 2.2 for the past 14 odd months and almost bought the 3.0 l in dec of 2006. glad i waited though!!

i agree, black looks really classy - always wanted a black but petrified of keeping it looking spic 'n span! also coming from an army b/g where we grew up with gleaming black staff cars all the time, black just was the way to go! had booked the cycus grey to start, but finally heart won over head and switched to the black!!!

i don't mind looking at art leather - just point me in the right direction and i will very happily not spend 35k+ on stanley!!!

and as far as calling my beast a beauty, as the old adage goes, "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder!!" what say??

cheers!

techno - thanks man... looking forward to getting to drive her in a couple of days.

riju - dude, slight technical problems, which entail my being over 8000 miles from my safari, NOT allowing me to TAKE pictures which can then be posted onto the forum for all to see!! it shall be rectified by the 21st morning!!!

stranger - LOL! i agree she is a BEAUTIFUL beast man - may many more people fall prey to her charms!!

patience - thanks dude. 21st morning will post pictures. promise! (i get back into the country on the 20th!!) as far as freebies go, the dealers were really sc***y, and on the day of the delivery, because they'd messed up my central locking, i'd created a huge shindy and got a further 3.5 k cash discount - but they are all playing hardball in delhi with a max cash discount of 5k at best. don't know what the mumbai scene is like though but you should be able to drive bargains with wit, charm and sheer pig headedness!!!

thanks guys..

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th March 2008 at 15:22. Reason: please use Edit instead of making back to back posts
Old 19th March 2008, 00:04   #24
BHPian

[Black is a very nice color for thr Safari, but you might regret it during hot days.]

This is one thing I guess worth considering for new buyers, I am suffering from this exact syndrome, kept my vehicle out in the sun one day for lack of parking space at the office, that too only for about 3 hours.. lunch time and I plan to move the vehicle into the shaded parking and whoa, can hardly touch the steering wheel, it was burning my hands almost.. the cabin was very hot indeed, so hot that a nivea chapstick melted out completely.. all this in the humble bangalore climate, the weather ain't a usp anymore for this city, sigh..

My sunfilm is a little on the lighter side, would like to know how other owners are coping up with this problem of excessive heat after parking in the open and if a darker film all around would help.. or should one go for a silver finish film to reflect sunrays away, guess a black one would absorb more.. any suggestions?
Old 19th March 2008, 00:07   #25
BHPian

hellstar - many thanks dude. shall do the needful shortly!!!

ashvin - many pictures shall adorn this thread shortly! itching to start shooting them real soon!

djbobo - thanks. i agree man, the 2.2 drives like a petrol in the city. i've driven the innova around loads in delhi but this is in a league of its own. i also love the fact that no one takes chances with a safari on the road - its almost like they know they'll come out the loser in an argument with something this size!! also sitting as high up as you do in the cabin - it makes it feel very civilised and a little bit pompous if i was to be true to myself!! though i am really glad i plonked for the safari now..

BTW - apparently the lx now comes in beige interiors - mine is grey and it is less than a week old, so this must be a really new thing...

cheers guys.
Old 19th March 2008, 07:08   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aburagohain : if a darker film all around would help.. or should one go for a silver finish film to reflect sunrays away, guess a black one would absorb more.. any suggestions?
Black color of the body will attract heat more. You cant do much on that part.

About sun film, it's not so much about color of the film as much as the quality of the film. Black will reduce visibility more than reflecting heat & UV.

Suggest you go for branded sun-film - Carbon, 3M, Llumar etc. Not Garware - that is the cheap stuff that car dealerships use as showroom fitment. One that can qualify as all show, no go when it comes to heat rejection/reflection.
Old 19th March 2008, 07:54   #27
BHPian

heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post

My sunfilm is a little on the lighter side, would like to know how other owners are coping up with this problem of excessive heat after parking in the open and if a darker film all around would help.. or should one go for a silver finish film to reflect sunrays away, guess a black one would absorb more.. any suggestions?
hey abu,

as condor says - the problem isin't the darkness of the film, rather the quality of the said film! i'm not a fan of really dark tints in the car - as nice as they may make the car look - they just make the insides very gloomy for one; added to the hassles that the cops give you as and when they feel like!
once i'm back, i plan to have Llumar film put in and i might actually just use it on the windshield and leave the side and back windows stock. the front glass offers the greatest surface area for the sun's uv to really start working overtime, so a good quality film that can repel uv and microwave from the windscreen should (theoretically!) keep the car cooler and more comfortable.

physics of course dictates that dark colours will absorb more light, hense more heat - so if you've been a klutz (like myself!! ) and have bought dark colour i.e. black / dark blue etc, "please be prepared to fry man"!!!

cheers and stay safe.
Old 19th March 2008, 09:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
hey guys...

i have FINALLY managed to get my very own tata safari 2.2 lx !!! "yippee yay"

she has also changed footwear. she now wears some very sexy HR alloys all round, and her rubber has changed from the stock bridgestone to some michelin 16/255 sized rubber.
Congratulations for your new black beauty.... nah!! it is a beast so congratulations for your new mean black beast

How much did you pay for your alloys. Are these 6.5 or 7 ? Did you have to cut mud flaps to fit 255 sized rubber ? Will eagerly await for the pics.
Old 19th March 2008, 09:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Congratulations for your new black beauty.... nah!! it is a beast so congratulations for your new mean black beast

How much did you pay for your alloys. Are these 6.5 or 7 ? Did you have to cut mud flaps to fit 255 sized rubber ? Will eagerly await for the pics.
thanks honda!

well i agree that she is 'beastly' beautiful .

you see, i agree that she is a beast, but since i ain't a beauty - the title rests earsier with her!!!!

these are 7's and the alloys themselves cost me 24.5k, then i added the michelin tyres at 7.5k a piece x 5 pieces - i haggled him down to about 6.8k though. finally, i traded in my stock bridgestone tubeless and wheels for 22.5k. all in all, i paid about 37k including a lock for my spare wheel on the back. after they were installed, it looked like a 90% chance that i'd cut the tyres at some point or the other. at almost 7k a pop per tyre, i was understandably nervous!!

the installer cut in by about 2 inches on both sides and now there's oodles of clearence for the wheel(s) to turn. if you're thinking of 255 upsizing, please be prepared for the tyres to jut out a little bit, making an already wide profile for the safari just a LITTLE bit wider it also makes the steering a tad tighter i.e tougher to yank around!

i eagerly wait to upload said pictures as well!! not long now...

cheers dude.

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 19th March 2008 at 09:58.
Old 19th March 2008, 15:06   #30
BHPian

thanks condor and btb, i already have 3M installed on the windows and rear shield, not very dark though, fitted by concorde before delivery. however i am not happy with the heat reduction that these films are providing at the moment, as i wrote, heat required to melt a chapstick lying inside the car can be quite high, mild sun-burn even while driving with windows rolled up is another reason i want to change my films.

i have also read through the sunfilm thread looking for the correct product for me, pretty detailed info there but it's always better to get inputs from actual users on a particular vehicle, so asking it here again, sorry for veering off topic guys.

congratulations btb, beasts are beautiful in their own majestic ways, yes, klutz is the word.. cheers to your new ride, enjoy miles and miles and let that smile broaden!

Most Viewed