Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 13:18   #61
Senior - BHPian

What fuel were you using, Premium/ Normal and of which Oil company ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Completed 1st service and went on a long drive 1000kms round trip. Got 15 kmpl overall with 4 adults + 2 kids + packed with heavy luggage+ AC. Did 90-100 kmph most times. I am sure these are very good figures considering that it gives 10.5 -11 kmpl in city with AC.

Overall the long drive was fantastic. i have earlier been on long drives in Bolero, Scorpio and innvova. By far the drive on safari has been the best. This fellow is so stable even at 130-140 kmph. Amazing !!
Old 20th May 2008, 13:46   #62
BHPian

Used Speed while going and Turbojet on return. one thing about the 1st service, i got the oil+filter changed. I guess it not required to change oil on 1st service but i paid for it.
Old 20th May 2008, 13:50   #63
BHPian

The bullbar was given free with the car but removed it later as i felt that its not safe for the safari. It will do more damage to the car even with a minor collision.
Attached Thumbnails
Bolero glx to SAFARI 2.2 ex - FINALLY UPGRADED !!-sa1.jpg  

Bolero glx to SAFARI 2.2 ex - FINALLY UPGRADED !!-sa3.jpg  

Old 20th May 2008, 15:39   #64
BHPian

you are right on the bullbar i guess. I was told by the Tata Guys that if the car hits, the bull bar almost nullifies the presence of crumplezones leading to a greater risk plus that the impact is transferred to the chasis completely. and if it gives a bend in the chasis, its all gone for a toss. so better not to have it at all.
However if it is not so heavy like the carryboy one and if you drive in city, it saves your car from getting scratched by minor accidents
Old 20th May 2008, 16:12   #65
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the beast. Your car looks amazing. Hows the braking? And more importantly, hows the experience been in dealing with the Tata service center after getting used to the great service from Maruti?
Old 20th May 2008, 16:31   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
you are right on the bullbar i guess. I was told by the Tata Guys that if the car hits, the bull bar almost nullifies the presence of crumplezones leading to a greater risk plus that the impact is transferred to the chasis completely. and if it gives a bend in the chasis, its all gone for a toss. so better not to have it at all.
However if it is not so heavy like the carryboy one and if you drive in city, it saves your car from getting scratched by minor accidents
very true. in fact on the highway last week there was a major traffic jam and i accidently hit a ford ikon at near 0 kmph. The result - there was a bad dent on the ford ikon for which i had to pay :( and this bull bar bent inwards and scratched my safaris' bumper. Now you can only imagine what will happen if you have a collision at high speeds. If the bullbar was not there then i am sure the plastic bumpers would have absorbed the minor collision.
Old 20th May 2008, 16:43   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Congrats on the beast. Your car looks amazing. Hows the braking? And more importantly, hows the experience been in dealing with the Tata service center after getting used to the great service from Maruti?
Tata Service is similar to Mahindra Service which have been used to with my earlier bolero. They are not as professional like the toyotas or Ford. but i will not complain about it. The reason is that they will do the technical job to our satisfaction and you can actually talk to them and have some minor repairs done without extra cost. I have a ford vehicle also and the ford guys rip me off everytime i enter their workshop but they treat you very well. So i would say that its like flying in Emirates vs Air India. Either way you reach your destination.
Old 20th May 2008, 19:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Used Speed while going and Turbojet on return. one thing about the 1st service, i got the oil+filter changed. I guess it not required to change oil on 1st service but i paid for it.

Speed is petrol right?

And Turbo is premium?
Old 20th May 2008, 21:11   #69
BHPian

yes , Turbojet is premium. Not sure about Speed. I generally dont use normal diesel (as suggested by many on this forum) in any our vehicles. We have Accent crdi which had some issues when we used normal diesel and then we shifted to premium brands. Even the TATA workshop was not sure about this.
Old 20th May 2008, 23:49   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Another question, not necessarily specific to the Safari. I have noticed that the wipers have a broad plate on them. This can also be added to wipers which come with them. Does it have any function?
that broad plate on the wiper is to push the wiper plate firmly onto the glass surface at high speeds (caused by wind resistance) to get a clean sweep.
Old 21st May 2008, 11:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
that broad plate on the wiper is to push the wiper plate firmly onto the glass surface at high speeds (caused by wind resistance) to get a clean sweep.
This seems to be the best possible explanation of the functionality of those 'blades'! Thanks Raj!
Old 21st May 2008, 12:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

No, its for the winds to deflect without uprooting the Wipers at high speed.

Going by your logic with the the glass surface not clean properly in the city ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Old 21st May 2008, 12:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
No, its for the winds to deflect without uprooting the Wipers at high speed.

Going by your logic with the the glass surface not clean properly in the city ??
good one on the uprooting!

But Dadu, what I understood was like this: The faster you go, the more pressure on the wiper, the better the cleaning. Since high speed required better visibility. On normal speed, you can do with the regular tension on the wiper for cleaning.
Old 21st May 2008, 13:48   #74
BHPian

Quote:
yes , Turbojet is premium. Not sure about Speed. I generally dont use normal diesel (as suggested by many on this forum) in any our vehicles. We have Accent crdi which had some issues when we used normal diesel and then we shifted to premium brands. Even the TATA workshop was not sure about this.
Chaxy, whatever your experience with Accent crdi, the best thing for the Safari is the combination of normal diesel + System D
Old 25th May 2008, 21:50   #75
BHPian

now that i removed the bull bar, i have been toying with some ideas. Like this one. This attachment is originally from an earlier model safari and was with me for a long time. I havent fixed it but I just placed it in position and clicked this pic... So guys tell me?? does this look good ??
Attached Thumbnails
Bolero glx to SAFARI 2.2 ex - FINALLY UPGRADED !!-sa1.jpg  

Last edited by chaxy : 25th May 2008 at 21:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks