Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2008, 09:42   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I stick to normal diesel from 2-3 reliable HP pumps only. CRDi engines are tuned for normal diesel and I have read other users on this forum complaining of black smoke from TurboJet etc.
Hey Architect interesting point... rather counter intuitive.

I use premium fuel got black smoke, thought it was other issues

the reason i used premium was because i read on this forum that premium diesel has less waxy substance than normal diesel.

Given precision engineered injector nozzles and what comes to mind when one says "wax" it avoided it like plague

Plus i also know of an Accent CRDi that earned 1.5 lakh for some garage because the owner used to put diesel from any highway pump during frequent trips to his native.
Old 1st September 2008, 12:40   #92
BHPian

New fiat palio essentials ( help me with my queries)

I brought a New Palio MJD SDX.

There are certain things that I need to know about maintaing this car.

1> I am told to go for normal diesel. I am using IOC diesel and filling up from Govt run Banshankari Bus stand IOC Petrol Bunk. Guys from Bangalore - please help me out in finding a good Petrol Bunk from I can fill my Palio.

2> Need to buy seat covers. Which place is good for buying Art Leather Seat Covers in Bangalore. My car's color is Mint White so which color seat covers will suit it.

3> Need to buy a good music system (without any amplifier). only requirement is to have USB and Ipod functionality. Experts please guide what and from where I shoud buy and fix it for my Palio

4> I park my vehicle outside my house to need to buy good car cover. Is there any good quality specific car cover or any cover will work out. Best place to buy it in Bangalore?

5> Teflon Coating - Should I go for it or not?

6> Any other thing I need to take care ?

Thanks in advance for the response.
Fiat Fan
Old 1st September 2008, 14:19   #93
BHPian

Mistakes i made with my Palio

1. ICE and remote locking should be done only at a Palio service center. It costs more but less of a headache; Palios are not that common and only go to a shop on prior recommendation. I donot reccomend (negative reccomendation) for supercarz on JC road.

Blaupunkt is recommended by Fiat. they also have thier own version of remote locking system.

I have a pioneer system with USB etc but it juts out of my dash by half a cm or so. Supercarz could not fit me an antenna and broke one of my sun visors instead (that they kindly replaced free of charge)
I have Autocop but it will raise an alarm if i lock when cabin lights that come on when the front doors are open are still on.

2. I read that Team-bhp article does not recommend teflon coating for indian conditions but am still researching opinions of fellow Palio owners.

3. Palio does not really need sunfilm on windows or rear wind screen for bangalore conditions as they are already tinted (for privacy you may at the cost of visibility) but i heartly reccommend that you get a UV film (transparent sunfilm) for you front windscreen. I have driven in the afternoon and can fry and egg on my dashboard at times; even with AC on.

4. Seat covers can be done any where (note: the manual states that the seat may be removed and refitted by a trained person only so that safety is not compromised). I think JC road should be up for the job. If you got the cash there is alway Stanley Boutique , in indranagar i think.
Old 1st September 2008, 17:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_fan View Post
I brought a New Palio MJD SDX.

There are certain things that I need to know about maintaing this car.

1> I am told to go for normal diesel. I am using IOC diesel and filling up from Govt run Banshankari Bus stand IOC Petrol Bunk. Guys from Bangalore - please help me out in finding a good Petrol Bunk from I can fill my Palio.

2> Need to buy seat covers. Which place is good for buying Art Leather Seat Covers in Bangalore. My car's color is Mint White so which color seat covers will suit it.

3> Need to buy a good music system (without any amplifier). only requirement is to have USB and Ipod functionality. Experts please guide what and from where I shoud buy and fix it for my Palio

4> I park my vehicle outside my house to need to buy good car cover. Is there any good quality specific car cover or any cover will work out. Best place to buy it in Bangalore?

5> Teflon Coating - Should I go for it or not?

6> Any other thing I need to take care ?

Thanks in advance for the response.
Fiat Fan
Congrats fiatfan On your Buy.I haven't seen Palio in White yet, but anticipate to be a stunning beauty. One More Joins The MJD Gang.
Enjoy the ride & update on with photographs & your driving experience soon.

1> Use Normal Diesel

2> 2- GTx 693, 3-way triaxial loud speaker system for the back along with 2-GTc 542 ,2-way component, for the front.

Total :4 Speakers :2- GTx 693 2-GTc & 542 2-way component costs : 5,450 k , Hu: Go for Pioneer 4050UB:5.5k Or 5050/90 UB: 8.5 k

3>seat covers depend on your pocket,let us know what you are looking at .

4> Teflon Coating : Yes I would Say.

5> car cover: SilverGurad Rs 900-1000,

6 >Lumar "SUN BLOCKER FILMS"

7> Palio sports antena......Rs 300 (Concord motors)

Last edited by jazzy_2cool : 1st September 2008 at 17:52.
Old 29th October 2008, 14:39   #95

I too own a Palio SDX, with 14000 km on the clock. I agree that you buy it because you want it and because you love driving. Swift would definitely have been a more convenient choice.

Have had both services done at Dhingra Motors Gurgaon so far, but they do feel rather clumsy. Any suggestions about good service centres would be much appreciated.

The car though is a great car to drive. Driven till Uttarkashi, Ludhiana etc and it is always a great drive. Currently it gave 21 kmpl on a 900 km trip to ludhiana, chandigarh, ambala, meerut and back to gurgaon.

Problems so far have been limited to some nuts and screws becoming a bit loose on seats and doors and needing to be tightened.
Old 30th October 2008, 20:20   #96
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shakaman

My SDE has done 10600 kms so far with two outstation trips as well. I have the following minor issues which are similar to yours...

1. Parcel tray rattles from Day 1 (but now that my rear speakers which didn't fit the designated space, as per the ICE guy, have been cut and placed on it, I have no choice but to fix that problem by some other method).

2. ICE Head Unit Rattles (non of Fiat's fault as its not installed at ASC)

3. Squeaking sounds from steering column when the indicators are on and the wheel is being turned.

4. Left Front Door glass makes a sound once in a while but this happenned only after an accident where the entire left side had to undergo major denting / painting.

5. Seats let out a squeak on hard acceleration.

Apart from these, the car is doing fine. I feel its a little under-tyred, that's it. The engine is a gem and the balance between ride & handling is very good.

I am not aware about Dhingra Motors, Gurgaon although I don't have any great feedback about them. Vivek Auto are cheats with no commitments about service and I have never gone there after my first service. I have had a very good experience with Samyak (Elegant Cars) for second service and an alignment issue after I drove into an open manhole on a water-logged street! They are in Patparganj, which may be far for you, but they are worth the extra driving.

PM me if you need their number or any other help. I plan to go there for an interim service where they can check these issues and a general check-up that I feel one should do after every 5000 kms (works out to be 3750 in this case).

Architect

Last edited by architect : 30th October 2008 at 20:22.
Old 30th October 2008, 21:20   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Parcel tray rattles from Day 1 (but now that my rear speakers which didn't fit the designated space, as per the ICE guy, have been cut and placed on it, I have no choice but to fix that problem by some other method).
Hi! Check your hatch door lock. Open the hatch and look down to the lock area, where you will see a U shaped lock bracket. Hold it between your fingers and try and shake it. If it moves (which it is not supposed to) get it removed and spot weld it from underneath. This is a problem even with brand new Palios. I did it on mine and the rattle, which I assumed came from the parcel shelf, is gone.

Last edited by jyobeb : 30th October 2008 at 21:21.
Old 31st October 2008, 11:24   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Hi! Check your hatch door lock. Open the hatch and look down to the lock area, where you will see a U shaped lock bracket. Hold it between your fingers and try and shake it. If it moves (which it is not supposed to) get it removed and spot weld it from underneath. This is a problem even with brand new Palios. I did it on mine and the rattle, which I assumed came from the parcel shelf, is gone.
my Palio SDX had the same problem - fixed in the first service. However, it was the latch on the hatch door that was loose in my case. The mechs used a torque wrench to tighten it. As architect mentioned, my steering wheel also makes noises at times.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 31st October 2008, 11:25   #99
BHPian

Quote:
My Parcel tray rattled too. I have an MDF plank with 2x6" ovals on it.

Cause of the rattling:
The Parcel tray is held in place by two pins on on each side towards the rear that go into slots lined with rubber. These pins are seated in rubber so that all the vibrations are absorbed.

If the pins are of the incorrect size or the rubber seating is worn out the parcel tray would jump out of its correct position and the pins might touch the plastic or the parcel tray may touch the boot door or both causing the rattles.

Solutions push the parcel tray back into its place and ensure the pins are secure in their rubber housing.
Also the rubber housing may wear out as mdf planks plus speakers exceed what the rubber cushions were designed for. The original parcel tray is hard plastic with no provision for speakers.

I used to get squeaking sound when the indicator is on and i turn the wheel usually to the left. The usual click click sound changed i though it some loose contact. It went away on its own. So may not be the same problem

Last edited by AadiAtPlay : 31st October 2008 at 11:28.
Old 31st October 2008, 14:14   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
my Palio SDX had the same problem - fixed in the first service. However, it was the latch on the hatch door that was loose in my case. The mechs used a torque wrench to tighten it. As architect mentioned, my steering wheel also makes noises at times.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Thanks a lot guys, I will check both these things, as the rear part rattling has become louder of late! Maybe its not the parcel tray after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post
My Parcel tray rattled too. I have an MDF plank with 2x6" ovals on it.

Cause of the rattling:
The Parcel tray is held in place by two pins on on each side towards the rear that go into slots lined with rubber. These pins are seated in rubber so that all the vibrations are absorbed.

If the pins are of the incorrect size or the rubber seating is worn out the parcel tray would jump out of its correct position and the pins might touch the plastic or the parcel tray may touch the boot door or both causing the rattles.

Solutions push the parcel tray back into its place and ensure the pins are secure in their rubber housing.
Also the rubber housing may wear out as mdf planks plus speakers exceed what the rubber cushions were designed for. The original parcel tray is hard plastic with no provision for speakers.

I used to get squeaking sound when the indicator is on and i turn the wheel usually to the left. The usual click click sound changed i though it some loose contact. It went away on its own. So may not be the same problem
I have even covered the the pivots with more tape so that it doesn't have space to vibrate within the slot. But it had no impact.

I am going for a mini-service tomorrow at Elegant (Samyak) Cars. Will get the door latches checked immediately.

I can see all Swift / SX4 owners waiting to pounce on the rattles on the Palio .

But the thing is the car is absolutely quiet on a good road with zero rattles. So the vibrations are not an issue at specific RPMs or related to the engine.They happen only when the road is a little less than smooth.

Also the problem could be compounded by the speed at which I took all the bumps and potholes and non-existent roads, especially between Hapur-Gajraula and Rampur-Rudrapur. But I am hoping these sounds will go after 2-3 rounds of the service station (I doubt if they can be fixed in one go! It needs lots of trial and error!)
Old 31st October 2008, 15:02   #101
BHPian

Hi Architect

Can you post the no of Samyak/Elegant motors
My car is due for third service and i am planning to get it services tomorrow
Old 31st October 2008, 15:55   #102
BHPian

Fiat Palio Stile 1.3 MJD review. Now updated to 5000 kms Reply to Thread

My palio 1.3 mtj Diesel has covered abt 12500 kms...
Till now i have faced few problems:
Car Alignment was not proper from day 1 - had to get the alignment done cost around 588 rs but problem rectified, some part of tyre was worn before i could have checked it,went to dynamic motor noida problem rectified...Got the Third service done at 11000 kms .Althoght recommended is 12,get the service before time & before KMS as usual.

i would like to give an update to Palio 1.3 Mtj DIESEL Users to Use norman Diesel no Premium fuel , i have just now confirmed it from Fiat itself.
They have told me that they have recently tested premium fuel of various agency's and they found that it's a eye-wash moreover it not functioning as desired leaving more depoists on the injectors.

Rest palio is goving me a constant average 20+ac in city and abt 22+ac in highways.
I am very satisfied with the overall car.

i have also performed Wooden Finish on Console & door trims although i have to spend lot of effort but now the car looks a class.

Would post the Picture very soon.

Thanks
Old 31st October 2008, 15:57   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I have even covered the the pivots with more tape so that it doesn't have space to vibrate within the slot. But it had no impact.
Ok my problem was the pivots/pins where of a bigger dia. the pivots go into the gap straight then they "lock" by going up or down. In my case they used to pop out of the lock and thus touch the boot door..

If your pivots are taped check the outer edge of the parcel tray, do you see any silver(paint from the inside of the boot door on the parcel tray) that is where the contact is happening.

but then again if your speakers are coming loose maybe the problem is with the speakers

Last edited by AadiAtPlay : 31st October 2008 at 16:00.
Old 1st November 2008, 00:20   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasb View Post
Hi Architect

Can you post the no of Samyak/Elegant motors
My car is due for third service and i am planning to get it services tomorrow
Elegant Cars +91 11 4214 1614, 4214 1615
O P Sharma, Workshop Manager (?) +91 98114 23514

If you are really coming tomorrow first half then we shall meet up!

@ Anupam00

I did not know Dynamic was still an authorised Service Centre for the Stile and the MJD. But Fiat seems to omit the better ones from the list on the website etc.

Where did you get the wood finish console? I wanted a metallic finish or a black finish instead of the ugly grey finish on the SDE. But what about warranty and skill of refitting?

Just WHERE in Delhi do people find roads where they get 20+ FE? I am underweight but do I have a heavy foot, because I get only 15kmpl in the city and about 18-19 on the highway?

@Aadi
Did extensive research today. Parcel tray / speakers are not the problem. Its something else. The boot hatch locks are also fine. I am perplexed with this. It's like a metallic object that's loose and knocking against another metallic object.

Clutch / Brake pedals and steering squeaks, but I am hoping a spot of oiling / greasing will solve the minor issues.
Old 1st November 2008, 21:33   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Jyodeb... it worked!

I also met two TBHP-ians, vikasb, Vipul Singh today.

Just to update, most of the problems were solved:

1. Clutch / Brake fluid light going on slopes and while shifting gears at high RPMs: Top-up of clutch / brake fluid.

2. Metallic Rattling from the rear: Lock assembly (u-shaped holder) replaced under warranty. It was loose, because of a bad spot weld. Jyodeb was right.

3. Other Rattling noises: Rear Seat and Parcel Tray pins were properly covered with insulation tapes, so that they did not rattle in their place

4. Sound from doors after accident: All door hinges, seats etc were greased and the nuts / screws on the doors were tightened. Sound has reduced but not gone.

5. Squeaking Sound from pedals: Greased A, B, C pedals. Culprit was mostly clutch.

6. Squeaking sound from Steering column on switching on the indicator: No solution yet.

It took me a good 4-5 hours along with the regular service. The sounds are 80-90% gone. It will take one more visit to remove the steering squeaking sounds.

And as usual, Samyak (Elegant Cars) gets 9/10 for commitment and effort and efficiency. Hats off, for proving that a Fiat owner can still get the A.S.S. at par (or even better, in some cases) with Maruti / Hyundai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks