Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 18:57   #16
ajibba

Excellent write up mate ! Clutch plate going bust during the initial dives ..you should be far more than pissed. Did you engage the 4 x 4 drive during your course of travel? I am surprised you felt the brakes of Safari better than the Innova.

Old 11th April 2008, 19:08   #17
BHPian

That's a very exhaustive report.
TASS looks after their Safari2.2L costomers better than the others, but it is bad on their part to charge for the coffee.
Old 11th April 2008, 19:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Jay... Congrats on ur purchase..

Sad to know that ur clutch was replaced within 1k of driving but glad it was attended to properly n ur dicor is back in shape.

Happy Motoring....err Dicoring..

On the other note if ur paying for ur vehicle with ur hard earned money & on 2nd day of ownership the vehicle breaks down it seriously reflect a very high cost of ownership and defective workmanship of Tata Motors.. I mean this is absurd.TML should really kick their QC
Old 11th April 2008, 21:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post

On the other note if ur paying for ur vehicle with ur hard earned money & on 2nd day of ownership the vehicle breaks down it seriously reflect a very high cost of ownership and defective workmanship of Tata Motors.. I mean this is absurd.TML should really kick their QC
Corruption rules
Old 11th April 2008, 21:34   #20
BHPian

Only TATA would be having these kind of problems in a vehicle of their premium liene-up. Still love TATA as a great mover of India but don't know when they will be able to meet not even German, but Korean quality.
Old 11th April 2008, 21:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Dicor.

Goddy
Old 11th April 2008, 22:41   #22
BHPian

wow! i was away for 2 days and there is another safari on Tbhp. Congrats Jay!

fantastic buy. good to know that you choose safari over innova.
Old 11th April 2008, 23:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy and that was some writeup.

excellent choice as your safari being the 4x4.Make full use of it.

Drive safe.

what about some pics ?
Old 11th April 2008, 23:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Good choice mate!

Do not see too many 4x4's!

And to know that a 10L+ vehicle having issues on day 2 - not a good sight!

But driving 780kms just after picking from showroom - now, how many other vehicles will give you such kind of confidence!
Old 12th April 2008, 00:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

@Rahulk76>> On the other note if ur paying for ur vehicle with ur hard earned money & on 2nd day of ownership the vehicle breaks down it seriously reflect a very high cost of ownership and defective workmanship of Tata Motors.. I mean this is absurd.TML should really kick their QC

To me a breakdown on the second day doesnt reflect on high cost of ownership if the defect is sorted free of cost. note: FREE!!! It has cost me nothing in terms of money. It was my decision to sit the day out at the dealer service centre. They had asked me to come in the evening @530pm and the car would be ready.
I look at it differently.
It was a day very well spent. i saw the entire underpinnings on my car. Had all my doubts and rapid fire questions answered by the mechanics working on ONLY Safaris and the dealers chief technician for the safari. They(Tass) obliged with all my queries and allowed me to observe the entire work. They took me to their spares store to showed me the magnatec oil drum from where they got 7.5lts of loose oil. Im happy i know my vehicle better now, have more faith in a Tass and their warranty and know more than wats in the owners manual.

There sure may be other defects waiting to happen in my suv, but i cannot regret my buying decision on the basis of this one incident. There is no turning back now! I know for a fact that there is NO other suv in the country for the price that offers similar kit, value and rugged usability as a Safari does. I also know that had i bought the Innova i would have to pay from my own pocket for damages that the vehicle could not handle due to similar ROUGH use.
This does not mean that i give TML a clean chit. As you rightly pointed they sure have a long way to go with their QC. My other vehicle being a Toyota Prado, I know about reliability. But there is no Toyota 4x4 in India at 10.7 lakhs.
On second thoughts, if i was stranded in the middle of Rajasthan with what happened on day-2. I surely would have waited and not given up trying. So the vehicle did not leave me stranded... as in.. stranded in the middle of nowhere. It did work & i drove 50kms in the city thru heavy gearing with my co driver practice after that before going to Tass the next day.
So all i can say is that I wish myself luck and lotsa trips that i can start sharing with you all.
Thank you all for your best wishes.

@HappyWheels >> But driving 780kms just after picking from showroom - now, how many other vehicles will give you such kind of confidence

thanks buddy.. but anybody can drive a new vehicle to anywhere....a fresh horse will always ride.... confidence speaks when you ride an old horse into the wilderness....
especially an old horse without warranty!!
Old 12th April 2008, 10:16   #26
BHPian

1st Congrats on your new buy and Welcome to the Safari Club.
Very happy to know that TASS is now prompt unlike their earlier Avtar.
Also very happy that someone has put a Safari ahead of Innova (2/3 to Safari)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And Magnatec? Can someoen confirm if its the right one? I thought it was just for petrol cars.
I agree Magnatec is a SM grade oil for Petrol engines. May be our forum members can confirm if magnatec is now available for Diesel.

This brings to another crucial question: Jaysmokes leaves has not mentioned a Diesel 4x4 nor did he mention "2.2 VTT"

Jay - Please confirm is your vehicle is Diesel or petrol

Last edited by kingshukt : 12th April 2008 at 10:24.
Old 12th April 2008, 11:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

@kingshukt >> 2.2 VVT Ex 4x4... thanks for pointing out the omission.

Request @ mods >> kindly add 2.2 VVT to the thread header to avoid misleading forum folks.

A few words about the practacility of a Safari vis a vis Innova :
Firstly I am a fan of the Innova too.
In the city(mumbai):
1.> High seating position - gives a good view of the traffic ahead which helps in pre planning lane changing, cutting(if ur in a rush). The seat height in the Innova is lower even in the V version.
2.> High stance of the Safari makes the bodywork less prone to scratches & dents from other small cars, rickshaws,etc. Add to that the intimidating size. This is a big negative for the Innova which, due to the vast expanse of bodywork at a lower height is more easily succeptible to scratches and dents in the city.
3.> Very comfortable seating in Safari regardless of whether you drive or get chauffered. Innova matches this and even betters this with a reclining 2nd row & bucket seat options.
4.>High ground clearance(GC) is very useful for fording through the water in the Mumbai monsoon. Have seen water entering Innovas while Safaris comfortably fording ahead.
5.> The good suspension and GC gobble the potholes without a fuss that are standard for every monsoon in Mumbai. Innova suspension is great too but im not sure it can withstand equivalent abuse on city potholes & craters.
6.> Sufficient space for a family of 5 and their luggage. Innova is unbeatable in this depatrment - coz you can move your house in an Innova. I would rather hire a truck for that !
7.> Image: In an Innova you come across as an exec who has arrived.
In a Safari you come across as a sporty exec who has arrived.
There sure can be thousands of different opinions though.
8.> The safaris turning radius is a very big pain in the city especially for those with not so superior driving judgement. The Innova makes no fuss at all and is superbly easy to manouvere.

This may be off topic but this point/observation was made by my co-driver(wife).
When we had gone to test drive the Safari, Innova, Palio 1.3, Indigo Cs, etc my wife made a point. The main reason for her to choose the safari over the additional small car which we were supposed to buy for city use was that none of them have adjustable seat height. Due to this she could barely get correct judgement of the road ahead,potholes, exact distance to the car ahead,etc. She pointed out, and this was also seconded by her other women friends, that this is a really big problem considering that all modern cars have sloping bonnets, it becomes very difficult to accurately judge the front end. Other women on the forum may shed light on this.
The seat height option is available on the V version Innova only. I wonder how many women drivers benifit if car companies just make this seat height adjustment common to all cars & versions.
Old 12th April 2008, 11:48   #28
BHPian

Welcome to the club jay.
I also feel that the safari braking is better than innova.
Old 12th April 2008, 17:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
my wife made a point. The main reason for her to choose the safari over the additional small car which we were supposed to buy for city use was that none of them have adjustable seat height. Due to this she could barely get correct judgement of the road ahead,potholes, exact distance to the car ahead,etc. She pointed out, and this was also seconded by her other women friends, that this is a really big problem considering that all modern cars have sloping bonnets, it becomes very difficult to accurately judge the front end. Other women on the forum may shed light on this.
The seat height option is available on the V version Innova only. I wonder how many women drivers benifit if car companies just make this seat height adjustment common to all cars & versions.
Jay, if you have got any feedback forms, then you should make a point of this. Companies will only listen if people tell them Hope you have lots more fun on your Safari, without worries.
Old 12th April 2008, 20:52   #30
BANNED

congrates for the new ride budddy....hope everything is fine now[]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks