Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2008, 22:05   #31
BHPian

Well, I was one potential Safari buyer putoff by reports like this.
Old 12th April 2008, 22:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Point is>> based on your requirements, do you have a better option. I didnt.
If you have an option go straight ahead.
BUt once you make your decision then there is no point for regrets.
Im enjoying my decision although i have had my initial glitches.
Dont get disheartened by these reports. Its just enlightenment!!
Old 12th April 2008, 22:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Jay, if you have got any feedback forms, then you should make a point of this. Companies will only listen if people tell them Hope you have lots more fun on your Safari, without worries.
Where are the feedback forms....!!!!
If companies were to really listen then motoring in India would have evolved a long time ago.
And thanks ... for the best wishes.
Old 13th April 2008, 03:11   #34
BHPian

I have noticed one thing with the safaris and their owners!! read Another thread also about the safari s turbo problem! that too is hardly 10 days old safair !!

YET the owners think highly of the safari it must certainly have some magic charm !!!

Anyways hoping thhat the acquistion of land rover shall help tatas to get the expertise from such brand names which shall trickle down to us with time!

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th April 2008 at 06:21. Reason: Hi, please use 's not <space>s, and avoid consistently using punctuation in multiples. Thanks.
Old 13th April 2008, 07:54   #35
BHPian

It was great reading your report Jay. Very well written, although it puts a little doubt in my mind. I was preparing myself to buy the VTT EX 4x4 in the next 3-4 months, but having owned a Palio stile so far (fantastic car, some bad dealership experiences) i am now a little worried whether i can compromise on the fantastic-car part, and not even be sure of the dealership experience (You seem to have been very fortunate with that - but given my FIAT experience with TATA motors, i'm not so sure i will be equally fortunate)

This is turning out to be a really really tough decision now ...
Old 13th April 2008, 09:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingummy View Post
It was great reading your report Jay. Very well written, although it puts a little doubt in my mind. I was preparing myself to buy the VTT EX 4x4 in the next 3-4 months, but having owned a Palio stile so far (fantastic car, some bad dealership experiences) i am now a little worried whether i can compromise on the fantastic-car part, and not even be sure of the dealership experience (You seem to have been very fortunate with that - but given my FIAT experience with TATA motors, i'm not so sure i will be equally fortunate)

This is turning out to be a really really tough decision now ...
Sir >> I have observed that for most people the Safari is an emotional buy. Emotions are always part of it, but i wish to steer slightly away from that. The decision of buying a car/suv must include a certain degree of rationality also.
In case of the safari you have to ask yourself......
Do i need the size and the space.
Am i going to really put the suspension to good use.
Will i be using the groundclearance to a good effect.
Am i really going to use the 4x4.
Can i do whatever i intend to do with any other vehicle.
If i can then why am i considering a safari.(Now ur back to the safari emotional square)
Can i live with the fact that my new safari may develop issues as pointed by many.
If i can then what is stopping me.
If i cant then what is my next best option.

From my present and earlier Tata experience i can safely say that unlike most vehicles, a safari begins to grow on you as you own it. The problems still exist in new generation tata vehicles but the service seems to have gotten prompter. That you can be relaxed about.
Its all about how you approach your problems with the dealer than the dealer himself. And this applies to any manufacturer.

@m-hawk >> the magic charm about a safari is that you can get away with almost all the abuse you throw at your vehicle. Dont think there is any other vehicle that can take abuse like a Tata does. Thats also the reason that although people bytch about the indica/sumo, but the choice of the taxi trade is testimony of its resilence.
Old 13th April 2008, 10:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Where are the feedback forms....!!!!
If companies were to really listen then motoring in India would have evolved a long time ago.
And thanks ... for the best wishes.
Do check with your TASS to see if they have them. I am not sure, but it is worth a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
I have noticed one thing with the safaris and their owners!! read Another thread also about the safari s turbo problem! that too is hardly 10 days old safair !!
YET the owners think highly of the safari it must certainly have some magic charm !!!
Anyways hoping thhat the acquistion of land rover shall help tatas to get the expertise from such brand names which shall trickle down to us with time!
I think this is because there is no vechicle ( at present ) that comes close to providing the Safari's level of performance, comfort and ruggedness, at the Safari's price range. I like hearing about how the most broken roads were sailed on with ease. Also since it is a Tata vehicle, I would think the spare parts costs would be lesser than others. Moreover the service seems to have improved even if the Quality Checks have not. I hope they improve those too.
Old 13th April 2008, 16:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
A family friend of ours who came back from US after 15 years decided to go for INNOVA. He had a major gearbox issue on the second week of owning the INNOVA (top end version). The innova's drivetrain was removed and some parts replaced (dont know which parts). Only difference is that my friend did not sit in the garage. His car is doing just fine now.

In fact i had a similar gearbox issue on my ford ikon in the 2nd month of ownership.

NOW, will that put off any potential innova or ford buyers??
Old 13th April 2008, 17:00   #39
BHPian

One more thing that should be pointed out is that people WITH complaints, go out of their way to make their story known. Those WITHOUT problems dont bother to make their story known. This can skew a story about a car into the negative side
Old 13th April 2008, 18:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
This feeling is not restricted to the Safari users here. There are users of other vehicles that have had issues with them yet love their vehicles and still keep them. One of my friends here has had the fuel-pump of his SUV (not Safari) replaced 3 (or is it 4?) times. He still drives around (and very well too) in the same SUV. Yet another with the same SUV has had his differential replaced. TWICE. We have also a vehicle from the MOST reliable (undisputedly, by a large margin!) manufacturer in the world that had a turbo replacement even before they could put proper license plates on the vehicle - it was still carrying the 'REGD' sticker.

The perception issue is partly because the Safari has a very large number of vocal users out here. Thankfully, their vociferous nature is not restricted only to singing praises of the vehicle - they also discuss their problems openly. This gives a reader a straightforward, unbiased view - how that person interprets it is a entirely upto him or her.
Old 13th April 2008, 19:02   #41
BHPian

Good point, Steeroid. As you rightly said, Safari owners have been quite vocal about the good things and the bad things in this forum, and the net result seems to be that more and more people are taking the plunge with a clear knowledge about what they are going to get.
Old 13th April 2008, 19:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The perception issue is partly because the Safari has a very large number of vocal users out here.
So true! Love to hear the new owners describe every minute detail about their Safari. It's almost like living their tales.

Quote:
Thankfully, their vociferous nature is not restricted only to singing praises of the vehicle - they also discuss their problems openly. This gives a reader a straightforward, unbiased view - how that person interprets it is a entirely upto him or her.
Excellently put.

Last edited by kkdelhi : 13th April 2008 at 19:13.
Old 20th April 2008, 06:25   #43
BHPian

Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4> The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!

Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4> The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!

Quote:
Quote:
Point is>> based on your requirements, do you have a better option. I didnt.
Fully agree that there does not appear to be a any (forget better!) option at that price point. All the same, I changed my requirements to avoid the potential niggles and have a (potentially!) hassle-free ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
A family friend of ours who came back from US after 15 years decided to go for INNOVA. He had a major gearbox issue on the second week of owning the INNOVA (top end version). The innova's drivetrain was removed and some parts replaced (dont know which parts). Only difference is that my friend did not sit in the garage. His car is doing just fine now.

In fact i had a similar gearbox issue on my ford ikon in the 2nd month of ownership.

NOW, will that put off any potential innova or ford buyers??
Not many Innova owners in this forum or among my relatives/ friends have had any major initial or short term issues unlike Safari owners. I Know many Innova owners with more than 45,000 kms and several call taxi owners with even more kilometers on their odos who have had 'no' glitches. Contrast this to the multiple complaints on this forum and the couple of Safari owners I know who keep discussing about the problems they have faced as if it is their favourite past time.

Please note that I am definitely not trying to put down one vehicle over the other. My heart has always tugged to buy the macho looking, supremely comfortable Pearl White Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor with its majestic road presence and would never permit me to buy the Innova because, to me, its appearance (a purely subjective feeling - not meant to hurt Innova lovers and owners) is a major put-off inspite of its utter reliability. Also whenever I need to take a call taxi for use in the city or take a tourist taxi for out of city travel my only choice is the Innova for its space and phenomenal comfort. Both the vehicles are still in my short list of vehicles to own and my bro-in-law has a 45,000 kms old Innova while my dad-in-law has just bought an Innova even though he also detests the shape (life is full of compromises!).

Quote:
Im enjoying my decision although i have had my initial glitches. Dont get disheartened by these reports. Its just enlightenment!!
Quote:
The perception issue is partly because the Safari has a very large number of vocal users out here. Thankfully, their vociferous nature is not restricted only to singing praises of the vehicle - they also discuss their problems openly. This gives a reader a straightforward, unbiased view - how that person interprets it is a entirely upto him or her.
It is possible that Safari owners are more vocal - about their pains as much as their pleasures!
Old 20th April 2008, 10:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Not many Innova owners in this forum or among my relatives/ friends have had any major initial or short term issues unlike Safari owners. I Know many Innova owners with more than 45,000 kms and several call taxi owners with even more kilometers on their odos who have had 'no' glitches. Contrast this to the multiple complaints on this forum and the couple of Safari owners I know who keep discussing about the problems they have faced as if it is their favourite past time.
We should also understand that a person buying a safari goes with his heart and many are technologically savvy. They will do a research on the vehicle and use google to lookup about the vehicle. Of those, many land up here and probably some are put off by reading of breakdowns and problems. Those who don't get down and yet go on to buy, they come and discuss of any problems they may be having. We have over a dozen new Safari owners who have brought the vehicle in the last 3 months. Many of them are new users of the forum and have landed here by google.

This does not mean that other vehicles (Innova, Scorpio) don't have problems. These problems are not brought to light but that does not mean that these problems don't exist. How many taxi owners or drivers are members here? It will be interesting if some member on the forum can get some figures from dealers/workshop about major problems with the Innova or Scorpio.

I am a hardcore Safari fan. I am looking to acquire a beast of my own and will do so once finances are in order. I know I am biased but hey, I follow my heart and am willing to make my own road.

A Safari will always be bought by a fan. For others, the Innova or Scorpio is the way to go.
Old 20th April 2008, 13:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
This feeling is not restricted to the Safari users here. There are users of other vehicles that have had issues with them yet love their vehicles and still keep them. One of my friends here has had the fuel-pump of his SUV (not Safari) replaced 3 (or is it 4?) times. He still drives around (and very well too) in the same SUV. Yet another with the same SUV has had his differential replaced. TWICE. We have also a vehicle from the MOST reliable (undisputedly, by a large margin!) manufacturer in the world that had a turbo replacement even before they could put proper license plates on the vehicle - it was still carrying the 'REGD' sticker.

Very well said !!

Infact its better that people discuss all aspects of their new cars or old ones quite openly on this forum..

Last edited by chaxy : 20th April 2008 at 13:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks