Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 17:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

My two cents,

As pointed out by most members, most Safari buyers are passionately in love with theier vehicles.

No other vehicle is as well covered in this forum as the Safari. Evey new buyer announces his purchase, puts up reviews and photos and in general shares his experiences with the others.

If you were to go by the number of posts on the Safari you would assume that it is the number one seller in the country. The only oher car which s mentioned with same passion is perhaps the Fiat Palio ( may be 105 compared to the Safari)

Safari Loweres are very much like the HOG ( Harley Davidson Owners Group) or the Enfield Bullet users in India and it is showered more attention than probably what the childern of these folks would attract.

It may thus give the impression that it is a very troublesome vehicle. The few one must do before buying the vehicle are a) are my expectations from the vehilcle clear? b) does it suit my usage pattern.

Once you are clear about these you will not go wrong. I was in a delemm a month back as I was swinging between the Safari and a sedan. I asked myself these questions and decided to buy an SX4.

But as they say in Hindi " Shauk ki koi keemat nahi hoti". I will definitely buy a Safari some day as no other vehicle in the price range has the same animal magnetism the Safari exudes.
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:04   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
My two cents,

As pointed out by most members, most Safari buyers are passionately in love with theier vehicles.

No other vehicle is as well covered in this forum as the Safari. Evey new buyer announces his purchase, puts up reviews and photos and in general shares his experiences with the others.

If you were to go by the number of posts on the Safari you would assume that it is the number one seller in the country. The only oher car which s mentioned with same passion is perhaps the Fiat Palio ( may be 105 compared to the Safari)

Safari Loweres are very much like the HOG ( Harley Davidson Owners Group) or the Enfield Bullet users in India and it is showered more attention than probably what the childern of these folks would attract.

It may thus give the impression that it is a very troublesome vehicle. The few one must do before buying the vehicle are a) are my expectations from the vehilcle clear? b) does it suit my usage pattern.

Once you are clear about these you will not go wrong. I was in a delemm a month back as I was swinging between the Safari and a sedan. I asked myself these questions and decided to buy an SX4.

But as they say in Hindi " Shauk ki koi keemat nahi hoti". I will definitely buy a Safari some day as no other vehicle in the price range has the same animal magnetism the Safari exudes.
Very well put, Sir.

"No regrets" is the name of the game
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:21   #48
BHPian

Quote:
My two cents,
very well said. couldn't have put it in better words.
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Jay! Its my longstanding dream to cover all of India with a some special in a Safari! You are living my dream.
Congrats again and keep us updated with your journey logs.
Just wondering, if you already have a Prado why did you needed Safari at first place?
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Congrats Jay! Its my longstanding dream to cover all of India with a some special in a Safari! You are living my dream.
Congrats again and keep us updated with your journey logs.
Just wondering, if you already have a Prado why did you needed Safari at first place?
Thanks ET.
Will keep you all posted with my journey logs. will surely post complete travelogues with pics.
Right now ive almost completed 5000kms... just driving around the city & outskirts... general driving around . Vehicle is doing good. Have not had the time nor the inclination to click nor post any photos yet. Lots of safari pics on the forum and mine aint come from the moon.
Will post pics when i shoot the right ones at the right locations.

The prado is another long story for another thread when i find time for it.
Thanks again.
PS: you are invited to join me to live your dream... coz i mostly ride alone.
Old 25th April 2008, 18:50   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My two cents,

Very well put Rajneeesh
This is the same example I give to my friends and cousins. Further I say that inspite of all the niggles etc that the BEAR has and if today(after 6 months of owning a Safari), somebody gives me the same amount of money that I paid for 6 months ago I would not trade this beast for any other car or an SUV.
Old 25th April 2008, 19:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Another Safari on the forum - looks like its raining Safaris at tbhp.

Congrats on your buy. For that money, it sure is a value buy, if one can live with the so-called niggles. And ofcourse one good looking SUV too.

And BTW, you must be a die-hard optimist, given your post a few months back. Hoping for the best, I presume.
Old 25th April 2008, 23:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Congrats on your buy. For that money, it sure is a value buy, if one can live with the so-called niggles. And ofcourse one good looking SUV too.

And BTW, you must be a die-hard optimist, given your post a few months back. Hoping for the best, I presume.

Thanks & youre right !! Its indeed raining safaris here.
I also feel that one of the reasons for the big safari following here is the amount of threads on this suv. open criticism discussing the flaws & the pros and the cons. No other vehicle is written about in as much detail as the safari. The runner up is the Innova... or maybe its the other way round.
Secondly, in the case of the safari, i feel it sure has evolved well... or rather is evolving.
There are very few vehicle designs today that in my opinion can be called classics.
The safari is one of them. Sometimes the age shows, but with grace like no other. Yet its a matter of opinion. Mine is above.

Lifes too short for me to waste in pessimism. However , criticism is necessary where it is deserved.
Old 26th April 2008, 11:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thanks & youre right !! Its indeed raining safaris here.
I also feel that one of the reasons for the big safari following here is the amount of threads on this suv. open criticism discussing the flaws & the pros and the cons. No other vehicle is written about in as much detail as the safari. The runner up is the Innova... or maybe its the other way round.
Secondly, in the case of the safari, i feel it sure has evolved well... or rather is evolving.
There are very few vehicle designs today that in my opinion can be called classics.
The safari is one of them. Sometimes the age shows, but with grace like no other. Yet its a matter of opinion. Mine is above.

Lifes too short for me to waste in pessimism. However , criticism is necessary where it is deserved.

I too think that openly discussing the positives and negatives of the beast helps one making up the minds of the buyers.

When I too was in the finalization stages of buying a vehicle, I was in no way considering buying the safari, but was rather very keen on buying a second hand Sonata Embera or a Skoda Laura, but the heart was always on a SUV. I dint very much fancy the Scorpio and or an Endeavour. On this forum I read alot of threads, asked a lot of questions and got unbiased answers for all of them. this is what really made up my mind on the BEAR and have never regretted a moment since. Atleast I knew what I was getting into.

On a happier thought I think that Tata Motors should make a big donation to this forum. Atleast a couple of hundred Safaris would have been sold as a direct result of the effort of TeamBHP.
So sparing a couple of lacs would'nt really hurt anyone
Old 26th April 2008, 13:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

On a happier thought I think that Tata Motors should make a big donation to this forum. Atleast a couple of hundred Safaris would have been sold as a direct result of the effort of TeamBHP.
So sparing a couple of lacs would'nt really hurt anyone
Yes indeed. It will be really great it TML made a fat donation to this forum.
And I would love to see an additional 2 yr/75000 warranty(total 6yrs.. wahh) come through also for all safari owners on this forum.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

The pics finally

Finally got time to shoot and upload some pics.
Additions to the car since purchase include:
sunfilm - blue floor mats - original sheepskin front seat cushion
the light gold color is nothing close to gold... its more like a metallic mud brown...

report on car use @ 5000kms:

the steering wheel has started peeling on the top side where i hold it..
its really cheap quality to start peeling @ 2500.(nothing wrong with my hands)
will have to get steering cover shortly.
tried to fit seat covers @ opera house accessory shops in mumbai.. they tore 3 sets trying to fit it because they cudnt get the right size in readymade.
So ive got original sheepskin cushions on the front seats... immensly comfy and grand to look at too. Will be ordering seat covers later this year.

I noticed that the steering wheel blocks full visiblilty if the speedometer console and the steering adjust isnt really enough to sort the issue.

the safari drives well on all roads. recently did a puna trip via the expressway on full throttle all the way. Mileage = 9 kpl @ speeds 120-160 at almost all times with 100% ac at all times. At 140-160 there is no steering feel at all. Its vague and dangerous to say the least with a light load of 2 occupants.
Overall mileage im getting is 10.5 to 11.5 when im more cautious with the accelerator. Im using all kinds of fuel. regular diesel, extra premium, turbojet & hi speed. i have recorded accurately the mileage on all the trips with each type of fuel. Honestly, there isnt much difference in mileage. 0.25-0.50 kpl only. The vehice is slightly smooth on the premium fuels but honestly at 100+ speeds with the irritating wind noise and the turbo groan, moan or humm(whatever you guys call it) all the smoothness of the so called premium fuel goes unnoticed.( at least i couldnt notice under those conditions)
Unfortunately i havent had the half decency to do the pre drive checks on my suv since i bought it so i havent opened the bonnet yet, so im hoping everything is ok. Occassionally looked under the car to see leaks on the floor and couldnt see any... so i guess everything is ok inside!
Went to fix sunfilm and the shop guy tried desperately to get me to fix sun film on the front windscreen. I honestly think it is a total waste since i found the dual ac in the ex extremely effective. Turn them both on and the room cools in 2 mins even @ 42'c.

Noticed that the left rear hub cover on the alloy flew off somewhere while driving... cheap stuff or poor fitting again.

The blaupunkt music system sounds good enough to my untrained ears so that will stay as it is. Im considering fitting window visors to cut wind noise at 100+ speeds. I hope it works.

And now for the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2741.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2857.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2858.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2859.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2860.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2861.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2862.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2864.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2865.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2866.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2867.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2868.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2869.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2870.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2871.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2872.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2873.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2874.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2875.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2876.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2008, 11:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

MORE PICS more pics more pics( i gues thats 20 + characters)
Attached Thumbnails
NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2877.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2878.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2879.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2880.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2881.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2882.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2883.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2884.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2885.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2886.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2887.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2888.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2889.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2890.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2891.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2892.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2893.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2894.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2895.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2896.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2008, 11:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

more pics more pics pics pics
Attached Thumbnails
NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2898.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2899.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2900.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2901.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2902.jpg  

NEW Safari 2.2 VVT Ex-4x4 Light Gold > The joy, the pleasure & the pain !!-100_2903.jpg  

Old 31st July 2008, 20:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

Update:
I just got back few days ago from by 5000kms trip. Mumbai - orissa round trip via nagpur and hyderabad. The travelogue will come up a little later but here is the vehicle update.

The safari was put through quite some abuse ont the dhule- sambalpur stretch with road surfaces in various degrees of degradation. I mean big potholes. The safari did 3 digit speeds(110+) through all of them.
On the Bhubaneswar Vizag stretch, 10 kms from Srikakulam the vehicle suddenly lost power and the service light came on.
the best top speed achievable was 100kph without traffic inturruption but 80kph was constantly maintained. There was no pickup. I called the dealer in Vizag and they offered some troubleshooting advice on the fone and then concluded that the hose on the turbo manifold had come off/loosened. So i could drive down to the dealership and they would fix it for me. I was assured that driving with that service light was not a cause for any furthur concern nor damage.
So i drove 120-140 some kms to the dealer and they promptly fixed it and in 30 mins I was on the road again.

Back in Bombay:
following was the list of complaints that the car had when i took it to the TASS.
Hard clutch.
Driver door loose.
driver seat loose.
Left front window rattling.
Dicky door loose.
Strange vibration from the engine @ 2500-3000rpm in all gears. This was diagnosed to happen even when revved in neutral.
Horn sounded like a torn speaker.
Result:
Clutch slave cylinder replaced. Now ok.
Driver door and dicky door readjusted and realigned.Im not happy with the driver door yet and will send it again later.
Left window rattle solved after some deliberation.
Engine vibration case still open since they were able to identify the vibes but could not determine the source.
My vehicle will be recalled a few days later after they check the same with a few more safaris.If they cant fix it then a Tata engineer will be called for from Puna. The vibes are not pronounced unless you concentrate. It starts with a vibe and ends like a humm akin to propellar shaft vibes. But they checked the propellar shaft and say its ok. Anyways, il have it fixed sooner or later no matter what they have to replace.

Current mileage overall = 11kpl using mostly normal diesel.
Total highway mileage with pedal to metal driving with 98% ac = 11kpl with normal diesel.
Using premium diesel makes the vehicle a bit more smoother but no difference in mileage.
Old 31st July 2008, 20:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Wow... a 5000Km trip! Looking forward to the travelogue!

Lucky that the service light was diagnosed soon and was not a show stopper!

So what is the total distance covered by you vehicle so far?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks