Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 21:58   #1

My new SWIFT VDi - Azure Gray

After a long wait of 4 months, I finally got the SWIFT VDi. I had booked the vehicle in Dec-2007 and was promised that it will be delivered in Mar-2008, but had to wait till Apr-2008. Finally I got the car on 10th Apr 2008.

In my family, we already have Baleno LXi (For highway use), Alto LXi (For city use) and Some more vehicles for my father’s business.

I bought the SWIFT VDi after looking at my current and future needs. I travel a lot and my average daily travel is 80 Kms. I stay in Chandra Layout, Bangalore and travel to Electronic City by the NICE road. The total travel comes till 80 KMs. On Weekends I venture out on to the open roads and go around and there are usual trips to my home town near Tirupati to visit the relatives. I travel close to 20K Kms in a year.

I have extensively driven the Baleno and like its pickup, handling and stability. I am a fast driver but not rash. The Baleno gives me close to 14Kms on highway with AC on. My dad travels a lot and takes the Baleno with him. He loves Baleno and is not ready to swap with any new vehicle. For the city I use the Alto, which is a good Vehicle but lacks power. I had got used to the power of Baleno, Alto feels slow. So finally decided to buy the Swift VDi, because of its mileage and toque+turbo. I am impressed with the pull when the RPM crosses 2K mark. I was not interested in petrol Swift as I was already having bigger and powerful petrol cousin Baleno.

A lot had been written about SWIFT in this forum. I will not go deep into it.
I will put my modifications, likes and dislikes about the SWIFT.

Modifications:
1. Alloys and Tires: As soon as I got the keys, I went to the tire showroom. Changed to alloys and wider tires. The alloys are model HR H125, 14” size, 6” width, 100+108 PCD, Link Mag Wheels,Automotive Wheels,Aluminum Alloy Wheels,Car Chrome Wheels,Supplier
Tires are FALKEN Ziex ZE-512, Size 205/60R14, Load/Speed 88H, Link Falken Tire

2. ICE: The headset is JVC KD-AVX33 and the speakers are Infinity 300W at rear and Infinity 150W at front. The headset has a small screen to watch the DVD/VCD/Pictures. It has a USB port, auxiliary port and supports Bluetooth Phone/Audio with external mic. I have fitted the Auxiliary port with a camera fitted at the rear. Link for headset DVD/CD Receiver with 3.5" Monitor - KD-AVX33
Link for rear speakers: Infinity - Car Audio

3. Remote lock: Have fixed with the Autocop DX model. Will be fixing it with the sensors to operate the power windows thorough remote.

1. The turbo: Once the RPM crosses the 2K mark, the vehicle becomes a beast. The pull is much more than my Baleno. Have to keep the engine in the turbo range to enjoy the drive.

2. The mileage: I had gone on the trip to my Village that’s 260 Kms from Bangalore. The mileage was 21.5. I was driving with speeds on 80-100 and touched 120 while overtaking. Was soft on the accelerator.

3. Ride and handling: With the alloys and low profile wide tires, the handling is very good. Could take turns at high speeds, there is no nervousness and the vehicle keeps its line. The ride is a bit harsh because of the low profile tires, its acceptable. The FALKEN tires are good, there is no noise from them and they offer good grip.

4. Silent engine: When the engine warms up and with the windows rolled up there is very little engine noise in the cabin. Which is very good considering that it’s a diesel engine. In the morning or when the engine is cold, the diesel clatter is audible but as the engine warms up the diesel clatter becomes less.

5. Gear shift: I like the short throw gear shift of the Swift. Its better than my Baleno.

Dislikes:
1. Not happy with the overall fit and finish. Can live with it.
2. On rough roads, there is slight rattling from the doors. Will get the dampening done for the vehicle during the 1st service.
3. In my Baleno and Alto, I could slot the gear at lower speed and could just go from there. Like I could put the 2nd gear at 10Kmph and then press the accelerator. But in Swift Diesel, I feel like there is no power when I slot the 2nd gear at 10Kmph. May be the gear ratio setup is the issue, but its OK, I am getting used to it.

Future upgrades:
1. K&N air filter.
2. Pete’s tuning Box.

Finally, I am enjoying the Swift VDi. I happy with the choice. Hopefully will keep it with me for 3 years.

Some Pics. Will add more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
My new SWIFT VDi - Azure Gray-starting-km.jpg  

My new SWIFT VDi - Azure Gray-car-front.jpg  

My new SWIFT VDi - Azure Gray-ice.jpg  

My new SWIFT VDi - Azure Gray-alloy.jpg  

My new SWIFT VDi - Azure Gray-thread.jpg  

Old 14th April 2008, 22:47   #2
BHPian

Congrats! Enjoy your ride. Nice choice of wheels

Nirmal
Old 15th April 2008, 00:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

Congrats . Its a damn good car and this comes from a happy customer with 15k under his belt in 6 months (touchwood).

How much did the tyres cost you ?
Old 15th April 2008, 02:08   #4
BHPian

Congrats atkraju. Nice car there and a nice color too. Good decision. Liked the alloys and the tires too. What was the total damage on the tires and rims upgrade?
Old 15th April 2008, 07:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride..can u tell me how much u spent on ICE , alloys etc??
Old 15th April 2008, 08:27   #6
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride.Hows JVC + infinity combination?Is that JVC fitted from showroom or you bought it from another shop?
Old 15th April 2008, 08:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thats one color I love.

Can you post details/price of the HU.

The tyre looks great. Is it under inflated? And you didnt look at 15inch?
Old 15th April 2008, 09:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new ride, Swift Diesel is becoming the preferred car in this forum, good reviews too.
Old 15th April 2008, 11:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice crisp review of your new car. Nice pics too.
Swift D is giving awesome mileage in highways isnt it?

Abhi
Old 15th April 2008, 12:05   #10
Team-BHP Support

A good selection of accessories and great snap shot review. Welcome to the club, i suggest you dont go into damping right now since its not gonna help the rattles much. Check out geeksrik review for more details.
Old 15th April 2008, 12:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the new car & thats a nice review

The HU looks nice please post price & other details

Quote:
But in Swift Diesel, I feel like there is no power when I slot the 2nd gear at 10Kmph. May be the gear ratio setup is the issue, but its OK, I am getting used to it.
You are experiencing what is known as a Turbo lag, perfectly normal.
Old 15th April 2008, 12:34   #12
BHPian

Congrats for the new ride Bro.

Goood choice of ICE and Alloys..
Old 15th April 2008, 12:45   #13
BHPian

Just one question. You own Baleno and Swift both, which one you think is more of driver's car.
Old 15th April 2008, 13:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride buddy. The Swift family among bhpians is growing big time.
Old 15th April 2008, 17:33   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride ...
Nice alloys too !!!
Drive safe ! Enjoy .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks