Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2008, 00:24   #1
BHPian

Swift Lxi - 2008 Model

I am (or technically, my Dad is) expecting delivery of our new Swift Lxi in 2-3 days, from Fort Point (Mahalakshmi). We were actually going to go in for the WagonR but were totally impressed with the Swift when we test drove it. Both Dad and I loved the way the car responded effortlessly to our demands. The gearshift was especially impressive - short-throw and very precise, and excellent brakes. Plus, given that we were upgrading from an 800, this was like a dream come true! Went in for the Lxi as we just couldn't stretch the budget to get the Vxi. Haggled with the dealer a lot and managed to wrangle just the floor mats and engine lamp. Will make a last ditch effort to get the digital clock, though!

For aftermarket accessories, I am going in for the following.
  • Manual central locking system from Autocop (car is parked inside the society, so remote locking does not really make sense to me). (Rs. 2090).
  • Upgrade to 100/90W Philips Ralleye headlight bulbs with appropriate relay (Rs. 875).
  • Suede seat covers with faux leather at the sides (Rs. 2800).
  • Fog Lamps (somewhere around Rs. 2000).
  • Bigger inside rear-view mirror, clip-on type with anti-glare (Rs. 575).
  • Blaupunkt Mumbai model MP26 HU with 3 way co axial 6'' Blaupunkt for front doors and 6x9 Blaupunkt for the parcel shelf (Rs. 4750 for HU + Rs. 2750 x2 for the speakers + Rs. 575 for the metal parcel shelf).
  • Llumar sunfilm, darkest within RTO limits (Rs. 1800).
  • Blue floor lighting, when door is opened (just a showy thing) (Rs. 575).
  • White cabin light (necessary according to Mom) (Rs. 750).
  • Body Cover (Rs. 350).
  • Reverse parking sensors, 4-eye, red colour (Rs. 4800).
  • Wheel caps (Rs. 1905).
I also wanted to fit some matte finish radium tape to the A and B pillars for the wrap-around effect that's missing in an Lxi and get the rims painted black so that the wheel caps look good. The dealer advised against the tape on the pillars and seems to be reluctant to paint the rims black for me, even though I offered to pay for it. Maybe, I will get it done when I service it for the first time.

I also have a FIAMM air-horn from my earlier car, which I want to get fitted onto my car. I dont know whether it will require a separate relay or not.

I tried convincing my Dad to upgrade the tyres, but he seems to think that if so many Swifts on the road can make do with stock tyres, then we shouldn't have a problem! Maybe, next year!!!

Will keep on updating this with pics when I actually lay my hands on Scarlette!!!
Old 15th April 2008, 02:20   #2
BHPian

Congratulations to you and to your dad mate!! Swift is a good buy certainly. I am sure you will be happy with it for a long time.

As far as the tire issue is concerned, we both are in the same boat my friend. When we got the Fiesta even i tried convincing my Dad to change the tires, but in vain. I believe atleast you dont have those punny MRF's as stock on the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post
I tried convincing my Dad to upgrade the tyres, but he seems to think that if so many Swifts on the road can make do with stock tyres, then we shouldn't have a problem! Maybe, next year!!!
Old 15th April 2008, 09:08   #3
BHPian

When you upgrade your headlights, Do get your holders also changed. They might melt with 100/90. Do check it out.
Old 15th April 2008, 11:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Let me give a small suggestion about the headlights. Its better to fit an extra big fog lamps instead of modifying the headlights. My friend who has a baleno did the same and its really good. He bought a pair of big fog lamps for Rs750 and changed the bulbs to 100/90 in it along with relays. And another thing he did was he connected them to the beam control switch (i.e) when the lights are in high beam , both the headlights and the fog lamps would be ON . when he changes to low beam , only the head lights will be ON and not the fog lamps. Its very convenient.
Old 15th April 2008, 14:53   #5
BHPian

One option I was thinking, Why dont you opt for VXI abs if you want to include all the accessories. Just a thought.
Old 15th April 2008, 17:27   #6
BHPian

Hey ..
I guess the dealer can offer a body cover as a freebie ...
and correct me if i am wrong but i guess wheel caps are certainly present with whatever car u purchase .. which wheel covers are u looking for to spend your 1905 bucks on ?
Old 15th April 2008, 19:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaruas View Post
Hey ..
and correct me if i am wrong but i guess wheel caps are certainly present with whatever car u purchase .. which wheel covers are u looking for to spend your 1905 bucks on ?
Wheel caps are not provided for LXi model. MSIL does not provide this for any of its models. It starts only with VXi and higher.
Old 15th April 2008, 22:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
Congratulations to you and to your dad mate!! Swift is a good buy .....
......punny MRF's as stock on the car
Thnx man...I know its a great car and the reviews on Team BHP simply helped me make up my mind. The stock tyres are JK Tornado 165/80 R14s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
When you upgrade your headlights, Do get your holders also changed. They might melt with 100/90. Do check it out.
I will ask my accessories dealer about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Let me give a small suggestion about the headlights. Its better to fit an extra big fog lamps instead of modifying the headlights. My friend who has a baleno did the same and its really good. He bought a pair of big fog lamps for Rs750 and changed the bulbs to 100/90 in it along with relays. And another thing he did was he connected them to the beam control switch (i.e) when the lights are in high beam , both the headlights and the fog lamps would be ON . when he changes to low beam , only the head lights will be ON and not the fog lamps. Its very convenient.
That is well, a different suggestion. I will have to think about this one.

Quote:
One option I was thinking, Why dont you opt for VXI abs if you want to include all the accessories. Just a thought.
Even I would love to go for the Vxi, but my Dad's budget wouldn't stretch beyond 4.85-4.9L. Although I could get the Vxi for 4.9L approx., the ICE and other accessories would put it out of our reach. Plus, we dont really need power windows as we keep the AC on all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaruas View Post
Hey ..
Naah...I get a much better quality body cover at Opera House, as compared to one Maruti gives. BTW, I managed to wrangle the digital clock from the dealer. Dunno as of now whether it's the Nippon one or the Titoni one, coz the dealer isn't sure himself. Actually, the way the dealer is behaving, I think it would be better to get the car serviced at Vitesse workshop. As for wheel caps, the MGA wheel caps for Swift cost Rs. 1905. I found them to be pretty good.
Old 16th April 2008, 00:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I strongly recommend upsizing the tyres if you like to push the car. Swift is a heavy car and those 165s are totally useless after 5000kms or so... especially if you like throwing the car around the corners a bit. And I mean just a bit, like 30-35km/hr turns are really scary... trust me!! I'll be going in for an upsize soon, at least before the monsoons hit for sure. I've had to change my driving style recently to suit the tyres, and they're only 6.5K kms old.
Old 16th April 2008, 00:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
I strongly recommend upsizing the tyres if you like to push the car. Swift is a heavy car and those 165s are totally useless after 5000kms or so... especially if you like throwing the car around the corners a bit. And I mean just a bit, like 30-35km/hr turns are really scary... trust me!! I'll be going in for an upsize soon, at least before the monsoons hit for sure. I've had to change my driving style recently to suit the tyres, and they're only 6.5K kms old.
Yeah, I had read about this and that's why I asked Dad to upgrade. I suppose the Bombay monsoon will force him to reconsider, especially considering that the brakes on the Swift are much stronger than on our old 800, which means greater chance of the wheels locking. Which tyre size do you recommend (which will fit on the standard rims) and how much will it cost me approx after exchange? I m not looking for anything fancy.

Quote:
I forgot to mention one more thing out here. Dad didn't want power windows after reading reports about how people suffocated in their cars after the power windows jammed during the 26/7 deluge in Bombay.
Old 16th April 2008, 00:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Llumar sunfilm, darkest within RTO limits (Rs. 1800).
Which variant of Llumar is that? And congratulations on the car.
Old 16th April 2008, 01:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Which variant of Llumar is that? And congratulations on the car.
Thanks man!!! My dealer showed me the catalogue and I selected one. Unfortunately, I didn't note down the exact code. I am getting my paws on Scarlette on the 17th, which means accessory fitment will be on the 18th. Will surely provide all details as well as relevant pics on the evening of the 18th.
Old 18th April 2008, 00:30   #13
BHPian

Delivery Time Pics

Here are the pics I took of Scarlette at the time of delivery. Will post more tomorrow after accessories are fitted.

Swift Lxi - 2008 Model-img_0653_.jpg

Swift Lxi - 2008 Model-img_0655_.jpg

Swift Lxi - 2008 Model-img_0657_.jpg

Swift Lxi - 2008 Model-img_0664_.jpg

Swift Lxi - 2008 Model-img_0660_.jpg
Old 18th April 2008, 23:25   #14
BHPian

Got the accessories fitted today. Took 'em the entire day to do this. Thank God I had decided to take leave today.
I have already mentioned which accessories I was going to have fitted. This post is essentially to show the HU of the ICE and the parking sensor display.

As for the sunfilm, it's a Llumar Black 35SR.

Swift Lxi - 2008 Model-img_0665_.jpg

Swift Lxi - 2008 Model-img_0668_.jpg

Swift Lxi - 2008 Model-img_0669_.jpg
Old 18th April 2008, 23:31   #15
BHPian

Hey, sumobom4, congratulations on your new Swift. Red, or Scarlette as you mention it, looks stunning on this car. It's an excellent car, with great pick-up and amazing side styling. Do drive in the correct gear ratios and it will give you great FE too.

Nice pictures! Ah, that 'new car' feeling! So, you did not get the rims painted black, after all. You were right, those shiny wheel caps will look good on black background.

Enjoy the Swift!

Most Viewed