Team-BHP - TATA Grande Sumo. New clothes. New identity
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   TATA Grande Sumo. New clothes. New identity (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/38598-tata-grande-sumo-new-clothes-new-identity-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OEM (Post 801974)
Here’s what you shouldn’t do with the SUMO. Don’t run it with the windows down; atleast one side down. (Smokers, beware). At speeds greater than 60, the glass area acts as vent and traps air into the SUMO thus throwing it off balance. Less said about the sound inside the cabin then, the better.
OEM

Can you please explain what the highlighted sentence means. Ignore my auto ignorance, but honestly i have never heard of a vehicle being thrown off balance by air trapped inside the cabin.
What exactly is the meaning of this concept.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 803897)
Can you please explain what the highlighted sentence means. Ignore my auto ignorance, but honestly i have never heard of a vehicle being thrown off balance by air trapped inside the cabin.
What exactly is the meaning of this concept.

What I meant was this (from what I noticed) The window on the rear door on one side was down, the vehicle was doing 80+ and after I overtook another vehicle and went back into my lane, the SUMO felt shaky before regaining composure (did not inspire confidence in the driver, atleast in me). Another point, we were driving on the ECR and it was quite windy.

Note: I did not imply overturning.

But that's my opinion. You are free to differ.

Friends, when I first saw the Sumo Grande, I was too shocked for words.

Please suffer me to articulate this.

It looked like the work of a child's modeling-clay impression of an excessively obese, overage, aunty who got that way by alternately feasting and sleeping.

Calling this porcine apology of a van -- an SUV or a family car violently upsets the stomach.

Even a beginning designer must surely hide the drawings as a bad beginning.

The massively cellulite laden D pillars would no doubt create dangerous blind-spots.

And this art-deco abomination is to give battle to a Scorpio? From which end?
Granted, the Scorpio is no paragon of beauty, but doesn't the Sumo Grande take the cake for fugliest vehicle designed in India, to date?

Ram

Ram, nice work. I agree with your last point that it has a big D pillar. As for the other 2, I disagree, I think it looks macho from the front and the wheel arches do look good.

This is my opinion.

EDIT: I would say it looks better than the Scorpio because it is a fresh design. The Scorpio is a 8 year old design.

Thank you @Proxima. I respect your right to hold your opinion.

I want to say something here, but realize that one can easily be misunderstood. May I request all, to park aside emotion and examine my views objectively?

Let me posit that, mere successful application of engineering principles never produced a Taj Mahal. There's an Art element too. A good design must not only be functional. It must also be beautiful.

One wonders,Those ugly swellings over the wheels are supposedly fender-flares. Once upon a time, rubber or fibreglass fender flares debuted to accommodate widened track tires without throwing up mud. Consumers grew used to them, then expected them.

In the Sumo Grande, they are entirely redundant and actually make the vehicle more ugly.

About macho: Painting stripes on a water-buffalo won't make it a tiger. "Butch" is about sculpting the right size and shape of bulges in the right places. Superman, Batman and Phantom are in one place; Fred Flintstone is somewhere else.

Ram

Driving the Victa GX has been a breeze, with it's PS & short turning radius.

The gas filled release mechanism for the rear door is also present on the Victa.

I agree with Ram. The styling is not subtle. I actually prefer my Victa over the Grande when it comes to styling & design. I have already listed out the changes on the Victa that I would love to see, in my LTR thread.

That said, personally I find the design of the rear to be best part of the Grande.

Why didn't TATA change the dash before re-launching this car? I really liked the new TATA Grande avatar, except for the interiors, they are downright outdated.... Was it that expensive an exercise? Is common-sense so uncommon with guys who call the shots at TATA?