Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2008, 14:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
AFAIK, the Sierra always was 2WD, no 4x4 version was available.

Now, to do some day-dreaming.........

Sierra with better build quality + 4x4 + 2.2VTT engine + LSD axles = awesome off-roader
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
not quite sure about the only 2wd part. if i remember right, they did come out with 4x4 too with the turbo version in the late-ish 90's. around 97 or so.

the day dream is lovely though....
Quote:
plse check Tata Sierra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

they did come out with 4wd in the turbo version on special request

it used the same electrically operated shift on the fly system as the old tata safari did - i remember reading that years ago but this wikipedia thing gives some details

cheers
Yes the Sierra did come out with a 4x4 version of the vehicle with the IDI 2.0 litre turbo engine that was priced around 70K more than the 2WD.

Fancied owning one then..but could not for other reasons.

Still envy the vehicle every time I see one. Wish could purchase a good second hand vehicle and plonk the 2.2 VTT engine and gearbox onto that!!

That would be one good vehicle!!

@sag... Congrats on your new buy..vehicle looks fantastic..Keep it serviced regularly and try not to rev over 3500 rpm..the best engine range is 2000 - 3500!
Old 25th April 2008, 14:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
But surely both the fronts have to be on right??
Yes. Sorry, my bad
Old 25th April 2008, 14:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

sag_kv, the car cools awesome, I wanted one when in collage, but there was always an argument with dad , on it not having rear windows that open....now I am scared to buy one as parts will be a hassle. Are you getting parts easily, I know that most of the engine and suspension parts are on the sumo ,but other stuff like ac,electric switches,etc...
Old 25th April 2008, 14:31   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Sierra Turbo was a rockstar in its hey days; that mid-range post-2000 rpm could put many a Esteem / Zen / Cielo to shame. We maxed out the speedometer once. IIRC, it was marked only until 160.
Been there, Done that
My brother's ride in the late 90's was a Sierra Turbo, massive wheels on 235 section tires. No mechanical problems in all the years we had it for, but the interior quality was a huge setback, broken aircom vents, creaking glove comparment, irregular power on the aircon, the works.
I did a good part of my teething on my brother's Sierra, and gradually took the jeep off him
Popular Sierra slogans:
Takes the rough with the smooth, when it was just launched.
Its not owned, its possessed, when the company was trying a revamp in 2001 i think.

Quote:
not quite sure about the only 2wd part. if i remember right, they did come out with 4x4 too with the turbo version in the late-ish 90's. around 97 or so.
The 4 x 4 was launched in 2000 or 2001 when the company was tring a revamp, i was told the interiors had slight changes too, some direct lifts off the safari.

manson.
Old 25th April 2008, 14:33   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

thanks

also some more data is avble on this link
http://www.domainb.com/automotive/mo...ata_sierra.htm

according to the internet this turbo tata sierra 4x4 cost nearly 6.8 lacs on road in those days - 10 years ago give or take.
that was certainly a very sizeable sum of money for many of us back then!

lovely vehicle - but as Blue Thunder says, it would be excellent if they would revive it with the new 2.2 l dicor, with 4x4, limited slip differential etc etc.

i would buy one like a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yes the Sierra did come out with a 4x4 version of the vehicle with the IDI 2.0 litre turbo engine that was priced around 70K more than the 2WD.

Fancied owning one then..but could not for other reasons.

Still envy the vehicle every time I see one. Wish could purchase a good second hand vehicle and plonk the 2.2 VTT engine and gearbox onto that!!

That would be one good vehicle!!

@sag... Congrats on your new buy..vehicle looks fantastic..Keep it serviced regularly and try not to rev over 3500 rpm..the best engine range is 2000 - 3500!
Old 25th April 2008, 14:38   #36
BHPian

Looks very butch, congrats!!

Jayalalitha, the then Tamil Nadu CM used to have a fleet of white sierra turbos when she was the CM. (5 years back) Anybody remember?

Some other sierras I knew of had fixed 2 extra doors for the rear passengers.
Old 25th April 2008, 14:52   #37
BHPian

congrats on ur buy buddy!!
i searched for almost 6 months and when i didnt find any good one, changed my options and choices to a Palio 1.6
Take good care of it, its on hellava car
Old 25th April 2008, 15:07   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

bang on - this was more like in 1993-1994 onwards for as long as she was CM

used to see her flying along the beach road en route her secretariat in a white sierra and strangely enough, there used to be some sort of light being shed on her face as she sat at the back - you could clearly see her mug (maybe it was to highlight her fair skin, which was a bit of an obsession at the time, what?).

used to be parked on the bike waiting at the traffic lights near the old AIR/ Napier Bridge area when she flew by with all the traffic lights being turned green for her benefit.

funny, how these threads awaken the strangest memories..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Looks very butch, congrats!!

Jayalalitha, the then Tamil Nadu CM used to have a fleet of white sierra turbos when she was the CM. (5 years back) Anybody remember?

Some other sierras I knew of had fixed 2 extra doors for the rear passengers.
Old 25th April 2008, 16:37   #39
BHPian

My dad was/is a major Sierra fan, Im sure he would get one if it was still in production.

We have been thru 4 of them so far.

94 non turbo - white (totalled)
96 non turbo - white
98 turbo - metallic green (flood affected)
99 turbo - metallic green

We sold the 99 model about a year ago.
Old 26th April 2008, 05:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
sag_kv, the car cools awesome, I wanted one when in collage, but there was always an argument with dad , on it not having rear windows that open....now I am scared to buy one as parts will be a hassle. Are you getting parts easily, I know that most of the engine and suspension parts are on the sumo ,but other stuff like ac,electric switches,etc...

Yes almost all the running parts are available on order from tata all a/c equipment but a/c parts cost a lot only thing is you need to wait, the parts not available seem to be
- plastic interiors( dashboard, Door trims, seat recliner mechanism,a/c switch etc
- co passenger seat railing mechanism
- door edge beading

few which i found hard to get

but if you try hard you can get any part from sivajinagar bangalore( i got the evaporator coil for 1500 bucks(new 7000) and also pudupet chennai
Old 26th April 2008, 14:30   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Been there, Done that
I did a good part of my teething on my brother's Sierra, and gradually took the jeep off him
Popular Sierra slogans:
Takes the rough with the smooth, when it was just launched.
Its not owned, its possessed, when the company was trying a revamp in 2001 i think.
Then you will also remember the wild oversteering capability of that car? Man, the rear would slide out on the mild right-hander of Heera Panna (coming from Worli).

Seeing those interior shots was truly a walk down memory lane.
Old 27th April 2008, 13:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Then you will also remember the wild oversteering capability of that car? Man, the rear would slide out on the mild right-hander of Heera Panna (coming from Worli).

Seeing those interior shots was truly a walk down memory lane.
I didnt get you GTO, how can the rear slide out on a mild right hander..the sierra is a grossly underpowered car and RWD..The instantaneous throttle response is not there..even if you are in the powerband..and to top it all it weighs over 1.8 tons..

Old 28th April 2008, 14:34   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I didnt get you GTO, how can the rear slide out on a mild right hander..the sierra is a grossly underpowered car and RWD..The instantaneous throttle response is not there..even if you are in the powerband..and to top it all it weighs over 1.8 tons..

For its time, I would not call the Sierra Turbo underpowered. And believe you me, the rear of that beast is very *loose*. Full throttle / second gear in that corner and the rear would always break free.
Old 28th April 2008, 18:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

I really need to get on a sierra to try it out...it would be great fun..i'm sure.
Old 19th March 2010, 21:07   #45
BHPian

I think some weight in the back does well for handling that beast. Its sort of low on the powerband yeah but if you're doing high rpms then the back wheel drives tend to get a little overexcited, especially if the road is slightly uneven or you're running high tyre pressures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks