Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2008, 23:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Prasidhi, it is a indeed a pleasure to hear of more Palio MJD owners. It reinforces the self-belief of initial owners like me to see more people making the same choice, not to mention the fact that more cars will mean better service / spares / support for us (hopefully, after all its Fiat) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasidhi View Post
After a long wait of more than a month and 2 days, I took the delivery of Palio 1.3 Mjd today.

I had a Maruti 800 before and driving a palio, I would say, is an alltogether different experience. The power was amazing, braking I would say is excellent. Engine noise was lesser when compared to Indica dicor. At empty stretches, it just breezed ahead. Infact we had two persons enquiring about the vehicle's performance in the signal (had to tell them that just took the delivery).

Sales experience was good as the dealer had told me that a waiting period of 4 to 6 weeks is inevitable for the colour I had booked.
Your long waiting period must be because of the colour and because of the SDX, as I got my Magnesium Grey SDE in a week in Delhi.

Driving the Palio MJD on empty stretches is a breeze, no doubt. Once the engine moves above 2000 RPM, it leaves many cars behind. After my First Service, I am pushing the engine till 2500 RPM, and one can sense its a 75 BHP engine! A lot of other drivers who honk for the first few seconds (being a diesel, shifting through the gears from 0 to 40 or so is slower than petrols) are simply left behind ones the turbo wakes up! So don't worry just be patient through the run-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
MJD is a great engine. Look after it for first 3000 kms. Do not baby it. be under 2200 rpm for first 1000 km but vary the RPM from 1000 to 2200 once in 3-5 min while driving do not maintain constant RPM for longer than a couple of min in first 1000 kms.

You may take it to 3000 RPM till 3000 kms and afte that you can reach 4000. I would not advise you to reach 4000 before 3000 kms but after reaching 3000 you should hit 4000 rpm once in a while to build a strong/smooth engine. I own a MJD in my swift and this is out of my experience.
@ Dieselfan: I have kept my MJD below 2000-2200 RPM for the first 1000 km, except for the occassional (once or twice a day) touch of 2700-2800. After 1000 km and First Service, I am taking it to 2500 RPM, except for occassionally going upto 2600-2700 RPM. I find it more comfortable driving it above 2000 RPM as the engine doesn't start lugging. On the 4th and 5th gears, the engine tends to lug at 1500-1600 rpm. In fact, because of trying to be under 2000 RPM, I am afraid I might have done some damage to the engine by lugging many times, initially.

Good thing you discussed this here. Will keep the 3000 RPM limit in mind till I do 3000 kms.
Old 27th April 2008, 21:41   #17
Team-BHP Support

Running in doesnt mean you cant rev the engine, rev it but slowly and steadily and not floor it. Lugging is more damaging than lil over revs.
Old 28th April 2008, 14:53   #18
BHPian

A few more updates...

I went on to a drive to get used to my new car on Saturday. Went to cousin's place (round trip of 75 km) and to fill the diesel and took an early morning round when the traffic is low (around 25 km).

Driving in traffic was a bit difficult initially as I had problem in getting used to gears. Secondly, I always tend to press accelerator in the first gear (my old maruti habit), which was not required for the new baby. After the initial moments, driving was a pleasure even in the traffic. Vehicle just passes other cars after the initial sluggishness when moving from the signal. The ride, handling of this car is really commendable. One would really feel that he is safe in this car. Space in the back seat is also really good and 3 medium size people can comfortably sit.

On reading this forum, I feel I need to get used to the gear shifting based on RPM. Currently I just change the gears on the basis of speed and the sound of engine.

A/c is really good and cools the car quite fast. I was also told that one should not put the a/c on when car is started for the first time in a day.

Another clarification to all the people here is my dealer told me that there is no need to "run-in" the vehicle, but I read in several places that the diesel engine requires good run-in, be it modern or older technology.

A few initial difficulties (may be due to non-receipt of owner's manual).

1. Reclining Seats: Initially I found it difficult to recline my driving seat to a comfortable position. I was searching for the small wheel kind of a thing in the side of the seat (like in Maruti 800) to recline. My neighbour had a Palio 1.6 sport and he too had such a mechanism for reclining the seat. When I checked with him, he helped me out, as it was a lever on the side of the seat, like in the luxury buses(but a plastic one) to recline the seat. That problem was solved. He also commented that the seat quality is better than that was there in his 1.6 sport.

2.Steering lock : Also, I was not aware how to unlock the steering as it was getting difficult for me to unlock and had to try several times, finally my neighbour came to my help as he told me to slightly rotate the steering in the same direction it was locked after the ignition key is put there.

3.Fiat logo on the Front Tyre: The Fiat logo on the front tyre is missing, its fallen I suppose. I realised the same as soon as I reached home from the show room. Told the Sales guy, waiting to see what will happen. It doesn't look good without the logo at all.

4.Parking: I have a small parking place and found it difficult to park it there in one go because of the size of the vehicle. Hopefully, I will get used to this with some amount of practice.

5.Noise: Engine noise is not much felt inside, but I feel the flow of air from A/c when kept @ 4 or 5 is a bit on a higher side.

6.Steering position: I feel some times that it should have a steering with a tilt option. Many a times my knees are hitting it.

Planning to go for a blaupunkt car audio (hamburg model) currently. Gurus, do you have any suggestion about this. Quoted price by a friend who can get some discount, with 4 speakers is approx 17K. 1.9K extra if a steering remote is required.

Inspite of all these, I still love my car a lot and I am waiting for a long trip with her in this week end. My wife and kid has not yet seen this car as they are at my native place. Hope they will also like her a lot.
Old 28th April 2008, 16:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Prasidhi,

I strongly suggest you read the owner's manual end to end. It gives all the aspects you need to know about the car in and out. It is time worth invested.
Old 28th April 2008, 16:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Prasidhi,

I strongly suggest you read the owner's manual end to end. It gives all the aspects you need to know about the car in and out. It is time worth invested.
Thanks DieselFan,

I am waiting despearately for the owner's manual. Sales guy told me I will get it today.

Also thanks every one who has given me inputs and suggestions, was really informative.
Old 28th April 2008, 19:00   #21
BHPian

Congrats Prasidhi on your MJD.

For a would-be buyer of an MJD like me, will you please elaborate what it is that made you go in for the MJD, when you have the swift diesel selling like hot cakes.
Maybe the *** has improved with the TATA support but doesn't the poor resale value of a Palio bother you? Also let us know how the leg space at the back compares with an Indica.
Old 1st May 2008, 18:59   #22
BHPian

Thanks Nitin,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I had taken the test drive of Swift as well as Palio. I had thought about it a lot and lot. Main reasons for buying my MJD are follows:

1. I found Palio a bit more stronger than the swift, and both were comfortable in handling and riding.
2. Back seat comfort. In Palio 3 people were able to sit comfortably, where as in Swift it was a bit tight.
3. Swift, I felt especially in the back seat was a bit more darker. Of course, when the interiors are compared, swift is way ahead.
4. Of course, the budget. As I am looking for a long term ownership, the resale value did not matter much for me.
5. Shape of Swift. My wife was dead against the shape. She liked the looks of Palio appealing.
6. After all, the waiting period. Swift Diesel had a waiting period of 4-5 months and Palio was available with in a month.

Hope the after sales service improves under TATA. Maruti is miles and miles ahead in Customer Service.

Also, please go through Architect's experience else where in this forum. Technically his comments will be quite useful for you.
Old 1st May 2008, 20:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy!!

Since you are also from Bangalore, could you tell me if you are able to drive the car in heavy traffic without having to use too much of clutch and without getting any aches? Would definitely help prospective buyers in Bangalore due to the maddening traffic conditions here.
Enjoy your new car and drive safe.

Regards
Abhi
Old 2nd May 2008, 15:32   #24
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy the drive.

-BSR
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:44   #25
rubeus

congrats

Congrats mate. I had test driven Fiat palio couple of days back cause i was undecided between swift and palio multijet. Handling both was good. there were a few niches with palio but the waiting period of 6 to 8 weeks is atrocious. Congrats on your new buy and hope to see a updated version about your miles in your new car.

Old 9th May 2008, 15:34   #26
BHPian

One more MJD

Finally my MJD is ready for delivery on monday.It reached the dealer today,but since tommo is a holiday it can be registered and delivered only on monday 6pm.Waiting for the beauty....

I noticed one sdx today in the showroom.The interior looks same but i feel the quality of plastics is better compared to the one i test drove.It felt more smooth and with good finish.Anyways i think its the same,i might have simply felt like that in my excitement

Last edited by shebin : 9th May 2008 at 15:36.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:39   #27
BHPian

Congrats buddy.
post some pics of your new ride.
Old 9th May 2008, 16:57   #28
BHPian

Congrats on the palio. Have driven a rally red palio sport for several years now, you will definately find a sea change in the handling, ride quality and power as compared to the 800. Enjoy the car
Old 12th May 2008, 20:02   #29
BHPian

brought her home!!!

I got my palio sdx(red) today at 5 pm.The car looks amazing and is a head turner.Will give a quick update of initial impressions.

Dealer: Concorde motors was good in their service.The vehicle was clean and odo was showing 36 km.Interiors also looked clean and fresh.The sales team was also prompt and helpful.Manual will be given tommo.and rc will be delivered in 20 days.So the service was average and nothing much to complain.

They didnt give me mats or mudflaps.I would have appreciated at least mudflaps .Anyways i didnt negotiate hard since i had other important things to do.

Now to the vehilce_

Looks :extremely good looking(subjective)

Interiors:All of you know how it is(egronomical and solid but not great looking and stylish)

Steering:Heavy compared to swift and a breeze at higher speed.No need to clutch the steering wheel at high speed.It gives correct feed back.But if u are used to EPS you will find it a bit heavy.

Seats:The seats has come out very good with good support and enough space.The space is exactly what a tall person would need.i am 5, 10.I find it good.

Transmission:Swift scores here.Palio gear box is smooth and you have no issues with shift.But its vague and feel like older indicas.I think swift gerbox is really good.

NVH:Somehow i feel swift is having better NVH.Palio vibrates slightly and this is transmitted to the gear and steering at times.But this doesnt interferes with the driving pleasure as such.

Suspension/handling:Too good.No Potholes are felt and the car really behaves like a sedan on rough terrain.You feel safe and solid.Handling is on softer side but well balanced due to the steering feed back.

Space: more compared to Swift,especaily boot space.

Engine power:Enough and adequate.The car pulls very well with ac on,turbo lag is felt but 3rd gear is enough for all type of traffic.Overtaking is also a breeze.

Brakes:Good and have enough bite.not scary even on stock tyres

Overall the car gives you a big car feeling.Its firmly planted on the road and you can push her hard.Change into alloys/better tyres will complement this.I think the bulid quality is quite good,but gear box is a sore spot when we think in fiat standards.

My initial impression is that this car is bulid to a budget and does not impress with the usual Fiat quality.The engine and transmission feels more smooth in swift(i own a vdi currently).But again it has done 8000 km.So we should give time for Palio and then decide.But when we tackle bad roads at high speed you will fell the difference of driving a fiat.

Finally,this one seems to be a mature car compared to the fun loving swift.This is real VFM.

I have done only 30 km in this car,so please consider this as an exact review.These are initial impressions and might change in the long run.
Old 12th May 2008, 23:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Many Congrats Shebin!

Enjoy driving the Italian hatch with a multijet heart!

Do create a new thread & post some pics as well with the above Initial ownership report!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks