Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 20:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
MJD is a great engine. Look after it for first 3000 kms. Do not baby it. be under 2200 rpm for first 1000 km but vary the RPM from 1000 to 2200 once in 3-5 min while driving do not maintain constant RPM for longer than a couple of min in first 1000 kms.

You may take it to 3000 RPM till 3000 kms and afte that you can reach 4000. I would not advise you to reach 4000 before 3000 kms but after reaching 3000 you should hit 4000 rpm once in a while to build a strong/smooth engine.
Well..@Dieselfan, can you elaborate why you said the above..I dont follow..especially the "you should hit 4000 rpm once in a while bit.." Are we trying something we should not try or is there some novelty to it?

A smooth engine is built / managed / achieved by doing proper service as well as oil and filter changes at regular intervals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Running in doesnt mean you cant rev the engine, rev it but slowly and steadily and not floor it. Lugging is more damaging than lil over revs.
I agree 100%
Old 14th May 2008, 21:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebin View Post
I enquired for spoiler,but not available with tata/cocncorde.Think will have to get from somewhere else.
Shebin,
First of all, Congrats for the new car. Waiting for the pics with the alloys and new tyres. Also post the pictures of ICE installation.

I remember reading in the manual that Fiat does not recommend spoilers as it affects the aerodynamic design. Just cross check it before going for the spoilers.
Old 14th May 2008, 22:06   #48
BHPian

Geez, Fiat doesn't provide an electronic tacho and trip meter? Or they are scheming to sell left over stock of old dashes from their heydays?
Old 15th May 2008, 11:55   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Geez, Fiat doesn't provide an electronic tacho and trip meter? Or they are scheming to sell left over stock of old dashes from their heydays?
I wonder why fiat avoided electronic trip/odo meter.Its not that its affecting the fun in any ways.I think it might require changes in the layout of the board or as you said passing on the old stock.But to be frank i am least bothered coz i knew this before buying and i am ok with dasboard and perfectly ok with the controls and egronomics.

@prasidhi,thanks for the update on the spoiler.One of my friends(rallyist)also mentioned the same about fiat spoilers.Not planning to go for one.Your car looks really good.Which sunfilm you have put?

After adding the alloys and yoko,the handling has become superb.ride has come down a bit but still good.Corners are fun now.After the initial confusions and hiccupss i'm finally enjoying her to the core.Still no t pushed her above 2500rpm(this too only gradually and for a few secs).The engine is becoming more smooth as it goes.My only grouse is with the slightly heavy clutch.Hope it will loosen up down the lane as it has freed up a little bit now.
Old 15th May 2008, 12:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
The engine is becoming more smooth as it goes.My only grouse is with the slightly heavy clutch.Hope it will loosen up down the lane as it has freed up a little bit now.
congrats on your new car, try to get a stone guard/running board fitted, it enhances the look..

also clutch will not loosen up much, your legs will get used to it,its got be tight, if it is loose that means you are loosing on your torque...

a long run-in FIAT engine is smooth & vibe free for a long long time..

which brand of YOKO's did u get , A drive, S drive, E100 or Aspec 300 ? how is the comfort..

FIAT, always....
Old 15th May 2008, 13:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
The tacho is electronic, but the odo and trip meter is analog. The design is atleast 2 decades old. Also, please note that the Palio was the first car to have a wireless accelarator pedal way back when it was introduced. It also came with a 32 bit ECU, 4 valves per cylinder etc etc when the competetion was experimenting with 8 bit and 16 bit ECUs. Even today, most cars dont match upto the build quality, stability, handling of a palio. Most Italian cars have had a heavy clutch and the palio is no exception.

Quote:
pushed her above 2500rpm(this too only gradually and for a few secs).The engine is becoming more smooth as it goes.
could you explain the above?
Old 15th May 2008, 14:15   #52
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Also, please note that the Palio was the first car to have a wireless accelarator pedal way back when it was introduced.

Pray tell what could be the possible benefits of a wireless accelerator system? Other than the fact that it will be susceptible to EM interference and perhaps even 'jamming' if someone's naughty. Which frequency does this wireless system use?

Old 15th May 2008, 14:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

could you explain the above?

Headers, i meant i didnt floor the clar to 2500rpm,but slowly allowed to reach that level stayed for few seconds,then lowered th rpm.I'm not crossing 2200 as of now .The car has done only 200km so i think i will wait till 100km to cross 300rpm.

@sanjay,What is stone gaurd,did you mean the side skirts by any chance?Is it positioned on both sides below the doors or in front below the bumper.

I have taken yoko S drive.Ride is little harsh.Will update after few hundred kms.

Last edited by shebin : 15th May 2008 at 14:26.
Old 15th May 2008, 14:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
@sanjay,What is stone gaurd,did you mean the side skirts by any chance?Is it positioned on both sides below the doors or in front below the bumper.
Stone guard is for under body.

Congrats on your purchase.
Old 15th May 2008, 15:19   #55
BHPian

Quote:

I have taken yoko S drive.Ride is little harsh.Will update after few hundred kms.
ya, if you see any PALIO sports model ( or the earlier 1.2 ELX) you will see a black running board below the doors on either side of car starting from front wheel mudflap to backwheel mudcap.. it enhances the looks & if you out there on the country side & driving on some really bad pot holes it will take the impact protecting the side walls of the car. i have checked with Manipal motors here in bangalore & is available on order from factory.. i got it directly from JAVALLI motors hubli some 1.5 years back. make sure u need to fit it properly.. need to drill small hole into the car body.. i got it done at green tracks & it has come good similar to factory fitting..

FIAT, always...
Old 16th May 2008, 01:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

I hope I am not hijacking your thread, Prasidhi and Shebin!

I have a list of accessories and modifications planned for my MJD. Having bought an SDE, I didn't get some of them... Would like it if anybody has any advice, suggestions for the same.

1. Left ORVM, no issues, but just a Long wait at Vivek Automobiles for the "cover" for the LHS, Planning to check at Sanya Motors if they have it.

2. "Running Board". The high ground clearance is fine, but the car looks too high IMO. Can the old Palio Running Board be fitted on the Stile? What does it cost?

3. Rear Wiper. Although the Rear Defogger is important, that will involve too many expensive changes which will not justify buying the SDE in the first place. Maybe later. How much trouble is it to add just the Wiper? Wiring, an extra switch and a wiper? Am I missing something?

4. Painting the boring grey dashboard panel (which is in alumnium brush finish on the SDX) to black like the old Palios.

Which of these will amount to a problem with my 18 + 18 month, 1.5 lakh km warranty?
Old 16th May 2008, 09:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I
2. "Running Board". The high ground clearance is fine, but the car looks too high IMO. Can the old Palio Running Board be fitted on the Stile? What does it cost?

which of these will amount to a problem with my 18 + 18 month, 1.5 lakh km
warranty?
yes you can fit the old palio running board , there is ablsoute no change in dimensions in the old palio & stile.. again i am saying get it done by a guy who has experience fitting it .. he should have done it on atleast 3 -4 palio.. cas u need to drill hole at precise places.. no markings though except the center one.. but be careful on the height aligment..
as i remember it cost around 3-4K, & i paid Rs.600/- as labour charge..

in bangalore, Green Tracks is the place to go.. he has lot of experience..

best of luck

FIAT, always....
Old 16th May 2008, 10:05   #58
BHPian

Another MJD to the pack

Got my Furnace Red Palio Stile SDX on tuesday.

agree with Architect about the 2nd and 3rd gear.
Old 16th May 2008, 12:40   #59
BHPian

@architect,you are welcome to hijack any thread.Your reviews are really good and realistic.Regarding the the underbody guard sanjay is correct.Please get it done with really experienced guy.Rear wiper fitting,i think better to get it done from showroom,coz chances are there to void the warranty.So dont take an unnecessary risk.Even i am planning to paint my dashboard balck.I am waiting for advise from the bhpians.

I think what you said about the second and third gear is true.Some times we need to go to second gear and the surge of power is very high,where as usually third would have done.But i think its manageable once we get used to the vehicle.

My Yoko ES100 195-60-14 is really good at high speeds.The handling has really improved,but ride is compromised a bit on slow speeds but above 60 the fun starts.This car eventhough a hatch behaves like a big car.Wiil take some time to get used to,especially when migrating from swift.

And i love the steering feedback very weighted and precise.Brakes will take some time to get used to as it travels a bit before biting fully.I am not sure whether this is good or bad.
Old 19th May 2008, 11:10   #60
BHPian

I have a question for all MJD owners...

Have you noticed that the radiator fan is really very powerful?

My parking lot is usually covered with fine dust, in first and idle gears it all kick up from under the front of the car and covers the whole car in dust.
It is so bad that i even noticed the Guard at my complex who was guiding me choke with the dust the car raised.

Is this normal? I am first time car owner and have never seen such a thing with other cars in my complex, of course i have the only fiat around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks