Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

@hydra & quicksilver - SS does not rust. SS = stainless steel. Guess what the stainless means.

Last edited by vikram_d : 2nd May 2008 at 14:32.
Old 2nd May 2008, 15:01   #92
BHPian

Hey Hydra, Congrats n your new car and congrats for the new SS muffler tip (the replacement you were supposed to buy for the stolen one)

Happy Swifting !
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:11   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
@hydra & quicksilver - SS does not rust. SS = stainless steel. Guess what the stainless means.
Yeah, but the existing steel exhaust pipe to which the SS tip can be welded on will rust, won't it?
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:38   #94
Senior - BHPian

@Hellie, thank you The ride of 50 profiles on 16" isn't as bad as it is made out to be. Just a bit more harder than the 50 profiles (shod on 15" alloys) on my old Palio. I just need to go a bit slow on bad roads. I like the ride a bit tight.

@arif_t01, thanks! And how did you know about the tape across the HU's face-plate? I thought the only people who knew are the RF guys and myself!!!???

@zenx, thank you! Long time no see!

@krazydriver84, thank you! Haven't put in a muffler-tip just yet. Need to call Zak.

@vikram_d, as airfoil said, the problem with be with rusting of the stock exhaust pipe.

@Zak, will call you today evening. Saw your call, but I'm buried in work :(
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:40   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@Hellie, thank you The ride of 50 profiles on 16" isn't as bad as it is made out to be. Just a bit more harder than the 50 profiles (shod on 15" alloys) on my old Palio. I just need to go a bit slow on bad roads. I like the ride a bit tight.

@arif_t01, thanks! And how did you know about the tape across the HU's face-plate? I thought the only people who knew are the RF guys and myself!!!???

@krazydriver84, thank you! Haven't put in a muffler-tip just yet. Need to call Zak.

@vikram_d, as airfoil said, the problem with be with rusting of the stock exhaust pipe.

@Zak, will call you today evening. Saw your call, but I'm buried in work :(
Hey ! how come I dont get a thanks . Anyway waiting for D install day.
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:53   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Hey ! how come I dont get a thanks . Anyway waiting for D install day.
I'd thanked you earlier, you nut!

I'm waiting for install day too! The Stock HU is driving me mad. And it is a dust and fingerprint magnet. I've given-up wiping that panel now. I'm mostly listening to my old-is-gold stuff now, mostly ancient remasters that don't sound too good recording-wise anyway. All those old Muddy-Waters and other old-old Blues and Jazz recordings are getting a lot of play-time now!
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:27   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah. Life/work/vacation kinda caught up with me. No long drives for a while. Was lurking around - not much activity og TBhp otherwise either but for the Uttarakhand trip plans.

I'm a little surprised the ICE will come 2 whole months later. Or will it?
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:45   #98
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy Hydra !!!

Looks like you have listed more Negatives than Positives on the car. But thanks for being Honest. Not many people can list out bad points of the cars they have just brought.

Overall the Swift is a wonderful car, The ZXI of course is fully loaded.

You mentioned somewhere in your post that the ICE sucks but it is stock. Does the Swift ZXi now comes with a HU ? I thought there is none. Cheers !!
Old 2nd May 2008, 18:16   #99
BHPian

Ya.. there is an in dash HU now with steering controls.

Just wondering if it can be replaced and steering controls be used with the new one?
Old 2nd May 2008, 18:56   #100
BHPian

Quote:
@arif_t01, thanks! And how did you know about the tape across the HU's face-plate? I thought the only people who knew are the RF guys and myself!!!???(
Ha! I see that you failed to get my HINT .
Old 2nd May 2008, 20:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
I'm a little surprised the ICE will come 2 whole months later. Or will it?
I know how it is. Work and life are kinda catching up with me too :(

The ICE will come in 3 months for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Congrats on the new buy Hydra !!!

Looks like you have listed more Negatives than Positives on the car. But thanks for being Honest. Not many people can list out bad points of the cars they have just brought.

Overall the Swift is a wonderful car, The ZXI of course is fully loaded.

You mentioned somewhere in your post that the ICE sucks but it is stock. Does the Swift ZXi now comes with a HU ? I thought there is none. Cheers !!
Thank you! Overall I am pretty happy with the Swift. I guess I have come off a bit negative though. It is just that there are a lot of small things that kinda keeps it from being totally perfect. It is a great car to drive. And I am getting more and more used to its idiosyncrasies now. When I add more of me into the car, I'm sure I'll really love it. Right now all I've done to it in terms of personalization is the alloys. Once the ICE is done (and then later the seats), I'm sure I'll totally be in love

Yep, the ZXi now comes with an integrated HU.
A Swift Shift: Hydra's Hatch II-oe_hu.jpg

Nothing much to write about. But the steering wheel controls are excellent! Perfectly placed and lends themselves naturally to the fingers. I can work it without looking at the control now. We can shift tracks, change volume and switch modes, and mute the HU, all from the steering itself.

I also need to find a way to get the thing out without too many scars or making the dash look unsightly, when I get my ICE gear back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Just wondering if it can be replaced and steering controls be used with the new one?
I'll definitely try and do this when I get my ICE done. The controls are very nifty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
Ha! I see that you failed to get my HINT.
I think I did, after re-reading your post, when you said you'd miss my Palio
Old 3rd May 2008, 07:58   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Yeah, but the existing steel exhaust pipe to which the SS tip can be welded on will rust, won't it?
Quote:
All it takes is a good coat of paint to prevent that from happening.
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:57   #103
Team-BHP Support

No Vikram the moment, anything like weld happens on the exhaust pipe, rusting becomes reality. No matter how good a surface protection you apply on it afterwards.

If you have noticed even a SS tip sometimes creates problem, since it acts as catalyst for rust due to difference in materials of the pipe vs the SS tip. Google Galvanic corrosion for details. Again water condensation between these also contribute to rust. Old Santro pipess are the most prone i have come across.

If you really want to fit an SS tip, insulate the outter area of the OE pipe well and then bolt ON the SS tip (this helps in better grip for SS tip, small insurance against flicking). Yes keeping the tip clean also really helps.

Easier job, buy a Remus end can

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd May 2008 at 16:00.
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:16   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
All it takes is a good coat of paint to prevent that from happening.
Jaggu had explained it well, I believe...

Vikram, another thing to note, a normal paint will not help against rust/corrosion on the silencer pipe because of the heat. You need to coat it with specific paint that can withstand high temperature. Not that it is not available, but it is cumbersome. Think about asking the MAS guys to do that...

Practically, there are only two solutions out there. The first one is to get a bolt-on tail pipe finisher and the second one is to go for a SS endcan.
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:03   #105
Senior - BHPian

Tragedy Strikes! First scratch :(

Tragedy! I scratched the left side of the front-bumper and a teeny bit of the fender against a wall, very close to my house. A kid came zipping out of a road in a bicycle and I had to swing a hard left. The kid zipped way happily. I didn't :(

I jumped outside and looked at the bumper. It brought tears to my eyes. Really. This was a crowning "glory" on an already bad, bad day. The first scratch on a new car is truly a heart-rending experience, especially if it happens within a month of buying the car.

It looked really bad right then, with the paint off the wall on the bumper and all. Brushed it all off and it looked liked this:
A Swift Shift: Hydra's Hatch II-swiftscratch.jpg

Bad "Carma" and all that. (Maybe the Swift is getting back at me for saying so many bad things about her.) But then I consoled myself that it would all have been a lot worse if the kid hit the car. I'd have had to deal with the Kid, the fact that the kid was hit, and the heartbreak of the scratch. Thank God for small mercies.

Looks like my Maruti Service Station got themselves a paint job right from the first service. I've done 780-odd kms so far. I'll give the car for the first service in another 10 days or so.

Last edited by hydrashok : 3rd May 2008 at 22:07.

Most Viewed