Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2008, 22:08   #1
BHPian

My journey ended at Honda City

Hi Folks,
I was a confused person running around all sorts of cars trying to figure out what is the best VFM car that my money can buy! I test drove all most all the cars in A/B/C segment cars and some MUV and SUVs. In the process I used to look at motoring magazines/websites for new car reviews, launches and to find best car for me. Intermittent travel trips to abroad, used to break this process and initialize it to the beginning of same confusion “what car?”
Then I came across team-bhp forum 'the best in indian car scene’. Then I joined this forum, rather I should say 'university' that taught me about cars. Simply I got addicted to this forum. The contents available in this forum and active participation is far far better than any magazine/motoring website. It is awesome. The moment I go home from office, I used to immerse in team-bhp world. So the complaints from my wife and kid that they are being neglected.
The information/reviews/suggestions available in this forum are excellent but at the same time u get confused across the diversity of opinions. This hunted me for sometime, then I realized that use this forum information to support decision of choice (only).
I looked at Innova but corporate purchase only 7 seater due to yellow plate registration for 8 seater. Having 7 seater innova with 5 passengers is not a good option than sedan that can accommodate same 5 people and still a boot left for ur luggage. In 7 seater, last row has to be stuffed with 5th person and luggage. So where is comfortability of buying a MUV?
Tata Safari, very good I am travelling on highways most of the time! Advantage it is indian, more service centers and problems are!! Anyway it is too big vehicle for me to drive in city.
Cedia, no resale value. Called local HM dealer couple of times for test drive, but never heard from them later. Then I realized they are not interested in selling cars, so out of my list. Nice looking car though.
Then SX4. Somewhat better looking than City but higher boot. Its length is equal or more then honda city! May be on specs, but if u watch it carefully, maruti put rear bumper lengthier than city but no way it contributes to passenger space. SX4 plastics no way u can compare with City. ABS and airbags of definitely score high for SX4 but for me, 90% of the travel is city and bumper to bumper traffic (Airport road). Somehow I did not like dashboard design of SX4.
Verna I test drove but I did not like the rear end design. It looks like when the design team is assigned design task, the moment they reached boot design, they ended up with no schedule and to hurry cutting the boot. If the boot is longer by another 10 CMs, car would have looked awesome and so the rear seats leg space. When front seat is moved back completely, I found my knees touching the seat if sit in rear. Compared to SX4, interiors are better.
My wife liked honda city interiors the most in C segment. Fuel efficiency is excellent in C segment petrol versions, and Honda badge. Though issue of low ground clearance appeared to me as blocking before purchasing but I realized I have to compromise on some, if I need other features. Model is getting phased out by end of this year; no issue for me. I am sure there is a buyer who will pay me better than equivalent car after 5 years.
In between there was confusion and Swift dezire (ZDI) came in to my list booked the car from pratham, went to BIMAL for a test drive, experience was good though black interiors are up to my liking. On the way back home, had a small break at Whitefiled honda looked at Honda city. Looking at the interiors and comfort then reverted to Honda city again, and this time no second thoughts.
So it is finally Honda city for me. I got it on 25-Apr delivered and my journey of car purchase (the confusion) ends here. Not yet start using, as waiting for 30-Apr to come (auspicious day). ... Next I will post details of my car (pics) and initial driving experience.

Bottom line: I wonder at some people who decide and buy car with no time. And observation is they do not much about cars but they know they want a car.
Morale: More knowledge brings more confusion! I have the proof. Tell u in my next post
Old 28th April 2008, 22:46   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Which model is it....EXI, GXI or VTEC.

Having owned an NHC VTEC for over 17 months, let me assure you City is an excellent choice. I had wonderful ownership experience with no visits to the service station except for routine services. Ground clearance is not as big an issue as its made out to be. Excercising caution is the key.

Enjoy the machine.
Old 28th April 2008, 23:33   #3
BHPian

Podilam,All the very best for your new city.City will always be a VFM,no doubt about it.Enjoy the ride.
Old 28th April 2008, 23:48   #4
BANNED

Congratulations

Hey Podilam, thats a well thought out selection process . It will serve as a guide to other car buyers.

Congratulations cheers:
Old 29th April 2008, 01:16   #5
LLL
BHPian

hi podilam...congrats on your new car.

would suggest you change the title of the thread to something like your search for car ended in honda city.

right now your thread title means something bad..
Old 29th April 2008, 01:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podilam View Post
Hi Folks,
Tata Safari, very good I am travelling on highways most of the time!

ABS and airbags of definitely score high for SX4 but for me, 90% of the travel is city and bumper to bumper traffic (Airport road).
Contradictory about city and highway driving, aint it.
Congrats on the buy. One can rarely go wrong with the Honda badge in India.
Old 2nd May 2008, 19:38   #7
BHPian

Podilam, congrats on your purchase... I own a City CVT and love every moment driving it.
Old 3rd May 2008, 02:39   #8
BHPian

Congrats Podilam. The Honda City is surely a good car, and will continue to give good service for many years. I hope now that 30th April is over, you have started driving it and started enjoying your ride. Do post the photos and write about your driving experience.

Cheers,
Dhaval
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and pictures please? your search ended and journey started LOL !!!!
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:50   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You can never go wrong with a Honda City! Congratulations. Am glad we helped you with your purchase decision.
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Great choice !! BTW what model is it that you brought ?

Also upload a few pics of the car. I heard GXi now comes with Alloys as standard !!
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can never go wrong with a Honda City!
True that.!

Congrats Podilam.
Post some pics of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks