Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 11:36   #16
BHPian

Update.....

Had gone to Sanghi yesterday with total of 5 people in the car. I could feel the load strain while driving. I had to downshift more often then normal. In the steep incline just as you reach Sanghi Temple, I had to drive on first gear continously, as the car was just not pulling in second. There seemed to be a huge power gap between 1st and second gear, as it was over revving at 1st gear but under revving at second. Hope the engine did not get strained. I need to avoid going to Sanghi until the run-in period is over.

I got a feel of the highway capability during the drive. It is no road-runner. It takes its time in coming up to speed when fully loaded. But it is steady and handles well.

One point which I missed in the previous post was was I feel that the suspensions have been tuned tight. That is, I feel the bumps and pot holes as I drive over them. The Indica is better in handling bad roads. With the i10 I feel I need to be careful when travelling on bad roads.
Old 5th May 2008, 11:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Had gone to Sanghi yesterday with total of 5 people in the car. I could feel the load strain while driving. I had to downshift more often then normal. In the steep incline just as you reach Sanghi Temple, I had to drive on first gear continously, as the car was just not pulling in second. There seemed to be a huge power gap between 1st and second gear, as it was over revving at 1st gear but under revving at second. Hope the engine did not get strained. I need to avoid going to Sanghi until the run-in period is over.

I got a feel of the highway capability during the drive. It is no road-runner. It takes its time in coming up to speed when fully loaded. But it is steady and handles well.

One point which I missed in the previous post was was I feel that the suspensions have been tuned tight. That is, I feel the bumps and pot holes as I drive over them. The Indica is better in handling bad roads. With the i10 I feel I need to be careful when travelling on bad roads.
Yes even i feel Indica is better handling than most hatches..esp on bad roads. Regarding the strain..i guess it is common with most hatches...esp with 5 people AND an incline! ALso maybe more so in petrol cars vis a vis a indica or a Swift/Getz Diesel versions (torgue)

In Kasauli i once coudn't complete a steep and loong incline if i shifted to second mid-incline. tried twice..finally did it in first only. This was a Getz 1.3 These are situations where a diesel excels!

Elito
Old 6th May 2008, 14:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great choice driverR. I think it is a very good looker and having sat in one the other day, feel it is adequately spacious (for the segment). What would the cost difference be between your model and the Magna O, which I understand has additional features like airbags and ABS - and sunroof as well?
Old 6th May 2008, 15:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Looks fantastic in the pics. Keep us posted on the further updates i10 is a good car, but a little overpriced.

PS: Nice signature there, DriverR!
Old 6th May 2008, 19:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had gone to Sanghi yesterday with total of 5 people in the car.
I forgot to ask this question earlier DriverR.
While not a long distance trip (I guess it is only 20 or 30 kms) - how did the passengers in the rear find it (I presume you had 3 adults in the rear) - space and comfort levels?
Old 7th May 2008, 09:06   #21
BHPian

Thanks Elito, Wilful and AkMar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
While not a long distance trip (I guess it is only 20 or 30 kms) - how did the passengers in the rear find it (I presume you had 3 adults in the rear) - space and comfort levels?
They (3 adults, all average built) found the rear good in terms of space and comfort. They had previously sat in my indica and said that it was as spacious as the Indica (ok, they are my prospective in-laws, so I would take their words with a pinch of salt! ) I've sat in the rear once with two other people and I found it to be much better than Wagon R or Zen. Three can sit with a good degree of comfort in the rear seat. But I cannot say much for long distance comfort as I do not know.

Regarding the price, I did not ask, but I believe there is a price difference of about 60 K between Magna and Magna (O) and an additional 20K for the Sunroof option...... way too expensive!

Last edited by DriverR : 7th May 2008 at 09:14.
Old 7th May 2008, 09:13   #22
BHPian

Congrats DriverR. Thats a cute looking car. I like the color. enjoy. BTW, I guess the hissing sound is just new engine issue, and will go away after a few more kms.
Old 7th May 2008, 09:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

DriverR,

How is the boot spcae in the i10? And how does the boot space compare with the WagonR and the Indica?
Old 7th May 2008, 10:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks driverR! Confirms what I felt too. Though I think 50 to 60 K is ok for the additional safety features. Don't think much of the sunroof - but that's just me.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:29   #25
BHPian

DriveR,

What is the FE you are getting out of i10?
Old 9th May 2008, 08:31   #26
BHPian

Update - FE figures

Just completed a tank-to-tank fill-up. When I took delivery of the car the distance done was 50 km. I filled full tank from a pump close by. Today the tank was near empty so I filled full tank again.
Odo reading: 425 km
Petrol filled: 29 litres

Therefore FE = (425-50) / 29
= 12.93 kmpl

Not bad, I must say, for a car that is still in the running-in period! This is with 50% use of AC as I drive to office early in the morning when the weather is quite pleasent, hence I don't use ac. And if FE improves after 1st servicing then I should be looking at quite good FE levels.
I have maintained speeds of max 65-70, and RPMs of 2500 as recommended in the "How to Run-in your new car post".

Btw, the showroom people made it clear that I was to use regular petrol and not Speed or similar grade fuels!

@ AkMar: I think the Boot space of most of the tall hatches are similar. The i10's boot is comparable to Santro's boot, but it is slightly more wider, hence marginally more space. Compare to Wagon R and Indica, I can't say. They seem the same. The problem is that the layout of each of the cars are different. So a wagon R can take tall items better with its tall back, while an Indica can take fat items better. Accordingly to me, the i10 has marginally more space depth which can translate into more carrying capacity. But it depends on the shape of the luggage.

Last edited by DriverR : 9th May 2008 at 08:38.
Old 9th May 2008, 11:13   #27
BHPian

congrats on your car buddy.
do keep this thread updated on i10 `s FE
Old 14th May 2008, 12:53   #28
BHPian

Little different deal in Bangalore.

1. Magna doesn't come with Central locking
2. Freebies are limited to Perfume, Idol, Mud flaps, Mats and Garware Medium sun film.

No JVC HU, 4 speakers etc. Only 2K Corporate discount.

On Road Magna in Bangalore is Rs. 4.52L
Old 14th May 2008, 13:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
I'm trying to figure out what mechanical locking device to fix for security, as Gear locks are apparently not there for i10.
If i10 comes with immobilizer, then you should not need a gear lock.
Old 19th May 2008, 17:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafeez_13666 View Post
On Road Magna in Bangalore is Rs. 4.52L
Just enquired price of i10 today in Agra. After Discount's & Free Insurance - OTR Price of i10 Magna is close to 4 Lacs. Sweet deal isn't it ?

Most Viewed